Menu

Health, stress, and college

8filltheheart

2 yrs ago this month Dd had a major health crisis that led to an autoimmune diagnosis. Flare like symptoms started about a week ago and now she is once again in a major flare. :( She is so upset and starting to freak out about managing college if she goes into a downward spiral like she is living through again.

I hate this for her. She should be excited. Her graduation date is tomorrow. Instead she is facing numerous Dr appts, feeling horrible, and concerned about her health.

I don't even know how to reassure her. I am internally freaking out about what will happen if she is abroad and goes into a flare. :(

I started to give some advice, then realized it was you 8. There is nothing I can say that you don't already know. So instead, just  :grouphug:  :grouphug: for you and your daughter. It is so hard when our bodies betray us, and even harder for someone so young. 

• Like 6

How insanely stressful  :001_unsure:

We have lots of autoimmune issues in my family, I know how difficult they are to deal with (and to plan around). 

My most comforting thought is that your dd is such an exceptional student that her school will always want to work with her as needed. 

Positive thoughts headed her way!

• Like 2

I am so sorry, 8.  :grouphug:  I totally understand. We are going through something similar, just started a new med last week, and I'm so worried about dd. One thing that our doctor just mentioned yesterday is that there is often a flare after big stressors - even happy ones like a big college decision. I think this may be what we are experiencing here, but not sure. I'm just hoping that in the next 3 months we can get this under control and send her off healthy - and I will be praying the same for you and yours. Thinking of you!

ETA* - Just wanted to add that I hope you can still celebrate graduation this week! She has achieved so much, and you both deserve it.  :wub:

Edited by Elise
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone.  We just got home from the rheumatologist. She is now on a high dose of prednisone.  She is going on 2 different injectable meds (which we are going to have to figure out how to have delivered to the student health center).

I was completely overwhelmed by the appointment.  I am kinda glad that dd was feeling so sick that most of the conversation just sort of drifted over her head. :(

But here is hoping and praying that the meds make her feel better and that all of those awful side effects that make you cringe when you hear TV commercials never, ever become a factor.

If stress sets off a flare up, then perhaps stress reducing strategies for next year might be considered? Regular visits to the school counselor have helped my high strung college students feel better about things. Is there any way she can take a light class load, at least until she adjusts to college?

I am so sorry you are facing this. Holding you and your family in the light.

Nan

• Like 4

:grouphug:

No advice. Just prayers & hugs for both of you.

The only positive I can think of is that you have a chance to go through this (again) now before she leaves, so she will know what to do for herself if it happens again in college or overseas.

(DD#3 took prednisone when she had Bells Palsy. She was very fortunate to not have any side effects & actually loved taking the med!)

• Like 1

I hate this for her. She should be excited. Her graduation date is tomorrow. Instead she is facing numerous Dr appts, feeling horrible, and concerned about her health.

I'm sure that you and your family will be able to give her a nice, intimate graduation celebration that will be just a special as anything else she experiences.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

:grouphug: Thinking of all of you. I have no other words that will help in any way. I am just so sorry. I was hoping the last one would be the final one for many, many years to come!

I can think of one thing but probably nothing you don't already know. When I was very ill in college once and living far away from home, what would have helped most was to be able to go home and just rest there and receive reassurance from the people who meant most to me that my studies will (eventually) be okay, that I will be able to come out of it. Just being able to rest completely, in the midst of loved ones, while she heals is my most ardent wish for her.

• Like 3