What's with the ads?

Photo

What kind of credit is a DE Communications class?

9 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 kand

kand

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2473 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

If a student takes a class in the Communications department in a college, what would you count that as on their transcript? I'm talking a general Communications 101 class, not something like a journalism class. I can't decide if that's a social science, or something else.

#2 quark

quark

Celebrating Curiosity!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4972 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

A friend's DS took a DE Communications class and it was mostly public speaking plus research on topics but not as much writing output as an English DE class. I'm not sure what she plans on doing come transcript time but I believe our University of CA system would consider it an elective which sounds about right to me.

• kand likes this

#3 teachermom2834

teachermom2834

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2447 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

I would use it as an elective. My ds took a business communications class. In my mind it was an English class and if he had needed the English credit I might have plunked it there but he had enough English credits so it was much simpler and cleaner to use it as an elective.
  • Momto2Ns likes this

#4 kand

kand

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2473 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

That makes sense. It's in the "humanities" division at the college, so I hoped it was a social science, since she could use another of those (and would love to fill it without taking another history class). On the other hand, many of her electives are in the arts, so a solid academic elective would probably be a good addition anyway.

#5 clementine

clementine

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2280 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

English

#6 Julie of KY

Julie of KY

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3173 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

I would list it under English (as an extra elective). I would not have it replace my four core years of English.

#7 chiguirre

chiguirre

RABble raiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7494 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

In my local CC, it's under the same core curriculum category as the first English Comp class. I'd count it as English but I'd try to have at least a half high school credit of lit in the same year if you break your transcript out by year.

#8 kand

kand

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2473 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

In my local CC, it's under the same core curriculum category as the first English Comp class. I'd count it as English but I'd try to have at least a half high school credit of lit in the same year if you break your transcript out by year.

This would actually work well, because one of her English credits is a study of science fiction (the other three are all more standard and fairly intense), so pairing these two for her last English credits would work well. I'm planning to transcript by subject for her. She did the science fiction this year, but then ended up doing DE English this quarter, so we can carry more SF over to next year and put it as her final English credit.
  • chiguirre likes this

#9 katilac

katilac

Chief Educational Executive & Cruise Director

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8805 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:18 AM

I consider it an elective. 

ime, it's not an English class in college (can't be used to fill an English requirement), so I'd figure the same for high school. It's definitely not a social science. 

I doubt you would get any questions if you list it under English, though. 

#10 Lori D.

Lori D.

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11163 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Many public high schools *require* 0.25 to 0.5 credit of public speaking or speech as part of one of the 4 credits of English required for graduation. It sounds like this DE class is covering similar topics, so you would be absolutely fine to count it either as 0.5 credit of English, or if you have your English credits covered already, then count it as 0.5 credit Elective.

In college, Communications is usually a separate department or combined with Journalism, and neither are under the English or Social Sciences (Social Studies) or Humanities departments, so I would not count Communications as a Social Studies credit.

As an aside:

Other specialized topics that count as English credits include Journalism, Creative Writing (fiction, poetry, drama), Creative Non-Fiction (essays, reviews), Technical Writing, and special focus Literature courses. Topics that would not count as English include Drama (performance or stage craft); Yearbook (an extracurricular); or Web Design (Digital Fine Arts).

Edited by Lori D., 16 May 2017 - 11:13 AM.

• Momto5inIN likes this