Menu

Going from schooling four to two...feeling lost

Did anyone else feel like this or similar?? 

My oldest graduated last May so this year I had three to school.  However, my second daughter did most of her coursework this year concurrent thru the CC so I was really just schooling two.  She graduated last week.   So this coming Fall I will just have the two to school and I feel SO lost!  You would think it would be easier..lol..but when I think about curriculum planning for Fall I just go around in circles in my head.  What the heck!?!?! 

No real question(s) or suggestions needed.  Just wondering if anyone else out there went through this. 

• Like 3

My oldest is starting CC early and has been doing independent work for that last two years...My youngest only loved homeschooling and all our school at home stuff when it was a party and Big brother was involved. So the last two years have been totally different than it used to be.

In fact with her everything has to be eityee computer graded or outsourced or else it just doesn't get done..

It's true that dynamics really change when individual kids move on or graduate !!

I understand. I went from 6 to 4 overnight when my twins graduated. Two years later I went down to 3, and in another year I'll be down to 2.

When I was schooling 6, I was constantly busy. Constantly. Now I find that I don't have to rush into the schoolwork in the mornings, and I actually have an hour or two open each afternoon.

It feels so strange.

It does feel odd. There's a shift in momentum, energy and stimulation that I think my younger two also feel. My son is graduating this year and next year is the first time ever I'll only be schooling two. And the first time in years without a high schooler (praise the Lord!). I'm going to take full advantage and weave in lots of field trips and hands-on, interest-based studies before I have another high schooler. 

I miss those busy days. Miss the stew out of them. But these days are wonderful in their own right. My youngest will have a different homeschool experience than the olders in some ways (traveling to visit the first grandchild, traveling to NYC and more outside classes) but I'm looking forward to carving out the time to envision and plan for next year. 

• Like 2

My youngest will have a different homeschool experience than the olders in some ways

I've been contemplating this over the last few days as I've been doing some curriculum research and planning.  This.  This the core of what I'm feeling. 

My oldest wanted to learn violin and we either didn't have the money for lessons or I didn't know where to reach out for lessons (I played for *years* but I'm a horrible music teacher).  My 14yo wants to learn and now we have money for lessons and I've found an amazing teacher.  I am feeling a lot of guilt that one daughter is going to get an experience my oldest wanted. 

I'm looking to switch science curriculum for Biology for my other two.  I know my first two didn't really care for Apologia but the ease of it kept me going with it so I never really looked to switch. 

It's the huge shift in only having two but also that their Middle School and High School years are going to look different.  I know I shouldn't feel guilty...but I do (INFJ..lol).  But I'll get over it.  ;)

Yep.  BTDT.  My older two graduated the same year and started cc, so I went from 2 high schoolers and an early elementary aged kid to 1 early elementary aged kid the next fall.  It was almost bewildering. I ran such a tight ship the last couple years of having 3 homeschooled and all their activities to one kid and independent young adults/mid-late teens that I felt like a lazy slacker for a year.  Then I finally got used to it. 

In January this year youngest wanted to start the enrichment program for homeschoolers at a ps twice a week, so now I only homeschool 1 kid, 3 days a week, in core subjects. It was easier to adjust to this time.

Yes, my youngest is having a different homeschooling experience than my older two, but I'm fine with that.  In some ways it's harder because there's no sibling socializing going on, but since there's only 1 kid it's easier for me to get that 1 kid to social activities outside the house.  Pros and cons and all that.

• Like 1

I am.  My 16 year old will be doing full time community college and I am sending my 4th grader to school.  I will only have one homeschool student.  Usually at this time, I am researching curriculum and figuring out what outside classes (if any) they should take.  I'm ordering and finding used curriculum.  Now?  Nothing.  I know what my 7th grader will be using and already have most of it on my shelves.  He's going to be 3/4 independent and be taking a full day at a public charter school for things like science labs and other enrichment activities.  I am like a lost ship at sea trying to find "me" again.  It's driving my husband crazy because I'm trying to organize the house because I have brain space to think about that.  I need something academic for me.  Homeschooling used to fill that space. 

My oldest wanted to learn violin and we either didn't have the money for lessons or I didn't know where to reach out for lessons (I played for *years* but I'm a horrible music teacher).  My 14yo wants to learn and now we have money for lessons and I've found an amazing teacher.  I am feeling a lot of guilt that one daughter is going to get an experience my oldest wanted. 

Well, it's never too late! At my dd's college, you can even sign up for recreational music lessons and get elective credit. 

Yes, I went from 2 to 1, and now my baby has just graduated! I do have my job, which helps...but it's definitely an emotional roller-coaster to be finished!

One of the things I tried to focus on when going from 2 to 1 was making sure I still carved out times to enjoy my remaining schooler. It's easy to get to working more and if the younger ones work well independently, it can be easy to just let them--but make sure you keep close. Maybe choose a subject or an elective that the older ones never would have been interested in, but the younger ones are. Something special you can share together.

I do hear you on being sad about an opportunity one has that another didn't have--but I would also say to turn that on it's head--be thankful that one had the opportunity to play violin, rather than none.

Enjoy these years--definitely a blessing to be able to homeschool our teens!

It felt weird three years ago, when I went down to one. And now, I'll be down to ZERO at the end of the week!

Margaret!! All these years...you've launched well. 

I've been contemplating this over the last few days as I've been doing some curriculum research and planning.  This.  This the core of what I'm feeling. 

I'm looking to switch science curriculum for Biology for my other two.  I know my first two didn't really care for Apologia but the ease of it kept me going with it so I never really looked to switch. 

It's the huge shift in only having two but also that their Middle School and High School years are going to look different.  I know I shouldn't feel guilty...but I do (INFJ..lol).  But I'll get over it.  ;)

Oh don't get me started...there's always SOMETHING that can generate mom guilt. No, I think we do what we can, when we can. Sometimes we know better, sometimes we don't. But parenting really isn't about getting everything right so much as helping to shape and encourage and let blossom these souls. My older ones got my energy. My youngers get WAY less of that (y'all go out and play!) but they get my experience and wisdom learned at the expense of my olders.