What's with the ads?

#1 Ordinary Shoes

Ordinary Shoes

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:51 PM

DD is going into 2nd grade next fall. She did very well in math this year but she continues to say that she does not like math because it is "boring." Her school uses Math in Focus.

I'm debating whether we need to use any curriculum this summer for math. She doesn't need to do any catching up from 1st grade and her 2nd grade curriculum is solid enough that I don't feel like I need to pre-teach it before 2nd. The new topics in MiF for 2nd are multiple and division. She had some exposure to multiplication and division in K where they did Saxon 1st grade math.

What do you think?

I intend to have her do xTra math to ensure that she does not forget her addition and subtraction math facts. We can also play math games as a family.

Do you think there would be any benefit to doing some intro work on multiple and division with c-rods this summer or let her be introduced to it with the rest of the class next year?

It feels really strange to not be planning on doing any formal math over the summer.

#2 MistyMountain

MistyMountain

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:36 PM

I think watching the Education Box videos on multiplication and division and using with C-Rods like they do and then playing games after like multiplication war would be be a good thing you can do. I think c-rods is a really good way to really learn what multiplication is and it is not something MIF teaches but it will help with visualizing multiplication and division. I did that with my ds even though we use Signapore math and I feel it has paid off. I wish I did it with my older daughter.

Edited by MistyMountain, 13 May 2017 - 12:52 PM.

• Ordinary Shoes likes this

#3 wendyroo

wendyroo

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

You could have her play Prodigy over the summer.  That would review first grade topics and start to introduce second grade topics as she is ready.  Plus, it is fun, and in no way boring.

Wendy

#4 Bluegoat

Bluegoat

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10022 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

I might try and keep itto something fun if she doesn't struggle. Games, or something that puts a different spin on math - my dd and I worked through a book on code breaking once that she had great fun with.

At that age, trying to keep some joy in the subject will pay off later.

• Heigh Ho and Ordinary Shoes like this

#5 amymarie3

amymarie3

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

Our school (end of first grade) asks that we do 10 minutes of math a day with the kids at home so we started this routine last fall and we are going to just continue with it for the summer.   They use enVision math at school and I found that working slightly ahead on Math Mammoth gets them introduced to the concepts before they get them in school which seems to help.   

Our year round routine:

4x per week 10 minutes or 2 pages of Math Mammoth

1x per week (or two) a chapter of Life of Fred done together with worksheets printed up from the Facebook group.

Occasionally at bedtime or breakfast: Bedtime Math, Mathemagic, and mental math problems from Ray's Arithmetic.

They play Todo Math and Monster Math on the iPad for fun extra practice.   

#6 Ordinary Shoes

Ordinary Shoes

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

I have the Math Mammoth Addition and Subtraction book. I considered working through the MM 2nd grade books this summer but it does not look like MM 2nd grade covers multiplication and division.

#7 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25113 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:49 PM

I would focus on developing "number sense" and practical uses of math, unless she herself wants to do math workbooks and similar.

I did use c-rods and base 10 blocks to help my kid at home when she was learning various math concepts at school.  However, if your daughter learns math readily, I'd just keep those learning aids on hand in case you need them during the school year.  You could let her play with them in the mean time.  Personally I would not do "work" with them over the summer, given the information you provided in your OP.

#8 vonfirmath

vonfirmath

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

I have the Math Mammoth Addition and Subtraction book. I considered working through the MM 2nd grade books this summer but it does not look like MM 2nd grade covers multiplication and division.

I would not expect average 2nd graders to be doing multiplication and division.  My son was THRILLED when they touched on multiplication at the end of 2nd grade (he'd been looking forward to it all year long). They did more in 3rd grade, but didn't start division until this year (4th)  And he is on an accelerated track.

Edited by vonfirmath, 17 May 2017 - 09:48 AM.

#9 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25113 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

Math in Focus started multiplication in 2nd if not late 1st.  Oddly, it was one of the few concepts my slower kid picked up easily.  :p

They don't go very deep into it in 2nd, or even 3rd IIRC.  I don't remember when they started division.  Those are times I'd rather forget, LOL.  (I hated the way they taught division!)

#10 Ordinary Shoes

Ordinary Shoes

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

I would not expect average 2nd graders to be doing multiplication and division.  My son was THRILLED when they touched on multiplication at the end of 2nd grade (he'd been looking forward to it all year long). They did more in 3rd grade, but didn't start division until this year (4th)  And he is on an accelerated track.

Hmmm...I actually haven't looked at the Scope & Sequence for MiF 2nd grade. I'm going by what the 2nd grade teacher told me. She said they did multiplication and division in 2nd.

I just now checked the Table of Contents in the MiF 2A book that is posted on ChristianBook.com and it shows Multiplication and Division as a chapter title.

#11 vonfirmath

vonfirmath

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

Hmmm...I actually haven't looked at the Scope & Sequence for MiF 2nd grade. I'm going by what the 2nd grade teacher told me. She said they did multiplication and division in 2nd.

I just now checked the Table of Contents in the MiF 2A book that is posted on ChristianBook.com and it shows Multiplication and Division as a chapter title.

Yes. The book does have it as a title. And fairly early in the year. My son would have been thrilled! I don't know about that curriculum in particular because our schools use something different.

#12 Bluegoat

Bluegoat

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10022 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

MM begins multiplication right at the end of grade 2.

I don't know that it's necessary to get ahead always by covering the same topics though.  I've found the thorough coverage of mental addition and subtraction has served my girls really well once the got into division and multiplication.  My dd9 was almost doing multiplication without realizing it when they instroduced it formally.

• Ordinary Shoes and winterbaby like this

#13 Ordinary Shoes

Ordinary Shoes

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

MM begins multiplication right at the end of grade 2.

I don't know that it's necessary to get ahead always by covering the same topics though.  I've found the thorough coverage of mental addition and subtraction has served my girls really well once the got into division and multiplication.  My dd9 was almost doing multiplication without realizing it when they instroduced it formally.

That's a good point. I already have the MM Addition and Subtraction book. 

#14 Heigh Ho

Heigh Ho

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11217 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

Do the crafting and measuring if your school did not. Highlights for Kids has craft ideas on.their website if you aren't doing 4h or scouts and need project ideas. Also play games and lay the basis for logic and probability.

#15 MistyMountain

MistyMountain

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:56 PM

Signapore does multiplication and division together early in 2nd and by the 1st semester of 3rd they are doing long division and 3 digit by 1 digit multiplication. They do start with multiplying smaller numbers though. I think MIF has a very similar scope and sequence.

#16 nature girl

nature girl

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1328 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

Signapore does multiplication and division together early in 2nd and by the 1st semester of 3rd they are doing long division and 3 digit by 1 digit multiplication. They do start with multiplying smaller numbers though. I think MIF has a very similar scope and sequence.

Yes, I have 2nd grade MIF and they do multiplication and division both near the beginning of the year (factors of 1, 5 and 10) and again in the middle of the second semester (3 and 4.)