Menu

Update diagnosis:Add

I have no idea how to find my post. But I have internet again. So i wanted to update. I had posted about my daughters vision therapist strongly implying that our daughter may have adhd bc of her severe focusing/distractability issues. We went a few days ago and our ped. Asked her some math questions and about what she wanted to be when she grows up and different things. He talked to her for about 30 to 45 minutes...He was very impressed with her conversational skills and her ability to read his facial expressions and emotions. He said she was using that to answer his questions. He said she was way ahead of her peers.He told us he she would make an excellent doctor as she possesses all the characteristics to be one. Our ped. Is very conscious and intentional about everything he says. He doesn't just say nice things I mean he has good bedside manners and is friendly but he usually keeps things on track about visit details so hearing him say that oddly made me feel better about my sweet girls struggles with vision and Add. He told us he really wanted to get her mind "trained" to slow down and focus because she has such great potential. He said he does not want to try medicine which I'm thankful for. He wants her to play a sport where she has to really focus and coordinate such as archery or baseball. He wants her to go to a comp care center for behavioral therapy or something like that. I'll be finding out more about that next week. He knows we homeschool and asked us to be lenienant with time for her subjects, which I always have been. He wants me to watch how she does when shes sleeping...like sleep apnea issues stopping breathing or snoring those types of issues which could interrupt sleep and cause focus issues during the day. On a side note all our t-ball signups were in march so we've missed that train and I saw our local archery club doing a tournament so I have to get a hold of them and find out if I sign up or if its just a jump in kind of thing. I'm wondering if an instrument would be good for her to learn I know that takes ALOT of focus to learn. But anyways thats my update. I'm extremely pleased with the results of the visit and in six months I hope Doc is pleased with my dds progression and our hard work pays off for my dd.

• Like 1

My dd may be adhd? - The Learning Challenges Board - The Well-Trained Mind Community

Here's the thread where you posted about her earlier. If the behavioral clinic has an OT, you'd definitely want to get that eval.

As far as sports, I would pursue something like gymnastics that involves lots of crashing and sensory input.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Yes, gymnastics was very good for DS13, who has ADHD.

You might also look into mindfulness. Learning to calm the mind was recommended to us by our psych, our pediatrician, and our OT, so it is the kind of thing that is seen as helpful by many. Our pediatrician recommended the book Sitting Still Like a Frog, which comes with a CD. The CD talks the child listener through relaxation exercises, and it set up in segments of various lengths, so that you can do a shorter session (5 min or less) or a longer one (10 min).

ETA: Some people may feel wary of mindfulness exercises, because they worry they may have a religious element that is contrary to their own beliefs. The Frog CD does not have anything religious in it, just in case that is a concern. We are Christians and found nothing worrisome in it.

Edited by Storygirl