Menu

7th grade history or "name that history!"

I will only be homeschooling one child next year.  My ds who will be in 7th grade.  He really needs to work on reading comprehension so I need a history curriculum that comes with questions. I need to work with him in writing out complete answers and/or summaries that really explain what he was asked to do.  We are in the early american history period of history and I would like to continue that.

I have Bookshark 7 that we are 1/3 of the way through.  It seems like the Sonlight/Bookshark questions are mostly comprehension questions.  He needs more of a dialectic/ think about it type question.

I also have TOG all years.  I really really hate the books they have for the dialectic level in year 3 (H.A. Marshall books mostly).  My ds doesn't really like them either.  The lower level, while having appropriate reading for 7th grade do not have questions and I do not want to make them up.  

He will have enough writing/ composition with an online course.

What am I looking for?

I will only be homeschooling one child next year. My ds who will be in 7th grade. He really needs to work on reading comprehension so I need a history curriculum that comes with questions. I need to work with him in writing out complete answers and/or summaries that really explain what he was asked to do. We are in the early american history period of history and I would like to continue that.

I have Bookshark 7 that we are 1/3 of the way through. It seems like the Sonlight/Bookshark questions are mostly comprehension questions. He needs more of a dialectic/ think about it type question.

I also have TOG all years. I really really hate the books they have for the dialectic level in year 3 (H.A. Marshall books mostly). My ds doesn't really like them either. The lower level, while having appropriate reading for 7th grade do not have questions and I do not want to make them up.

He will have enough writing/ composition with an online course.

What am I looking for?

American History Detective by Critical Thinking Company. It is really a reading comprehension/critical thinking curriculum using history as the content. I love the fact that it requires close reading, referencing specific sentences in the text to support answers, and includes a fully developed paragraph or more of writing with each lesson.
  • Like 1

My son did CTC's U.S. History Detective this year, and it was an excellent course.  I agree with the poster who mentioned this program.  This may be what you are looking for.  

Alternatively, you could look at Notgrass's U.S. middle school history program.  It includes more reading and writing assignments as well as short answer questions and tests.