Menu

Hive JD: What can potential landlords ask in NY (WNY to be precise)? So frustrated...

luuknam

So, the hunt for a place to rent is not going well. We filled out an application for one place, and haven't heard back at all, so that seems like it's not going to happen, and I went and looked at another place yesterday, and got an application, but they want to know *everything*. Like I'm going to give my SSN, DL number, bank accounts, etc etc etc to people who iirc only told me their first names (one of which I don't even remember and the other one I *think* I remember but not sure. That just seems like a recipe for identity theft etc. I mean, they seemed great, the house seemed fine, etc, but I'm sure there are scammers who seem perfect, so, that doesn't mean jack. On the other application the prospective landlord had crossed out the space for SSN and DL, whereas on this one they're highlighted as a requirement. Why on earth would a potential tenant even need to have a DL? Some people don't have a DL, and it'd be none of the landlord's business. 

So, anyway, my wife didn't even want to bother filling this out (not even with leaving parts blank), as she's saying the place isn't cheap anyway (it's $900/month, and with her other pickiness, I'm not convinced we can find something cheaper - I know our current rent is $550/month, but that doesn't mean anything), but at this rate we're never ever going to find a place. And I get it - if we're giving this info out like that to random strangers we might as well print up flyers with the info and hand them out to random people on the street. I just don't want to be homeless on June 1st, because that would be a lot more expensive (which we could afford... we could pay rent of $1500 or more per month if we *had* to, but at this point we've got 3 weeks and I'm just watching time go by and feeling helpless). 

Anyway, long story short, she told me to find out what potential landlords can/can't ask on applications, and I'm having trouble finding NY state or WNY specific answers - based on what the internet is telling me, there are plenty of parts of the country where they can ask all of those things, but beyond that... I'm lost. And I still think it'd be stupid to just give it out to Bob and the woman who he says is his wife and who say they own the house and showed it to us, and who claim they live in the house next door to that, but who in reality could be breaking and entering and making everything up.

• Like 1

Maybe they can ask whatever they want as long as it's not something that would lead to discrimination such as your race or sexual orientation. Now, whether you have to provide all the info is another question.

When we were landlords we asked for a driver's license as a form of a photo ID so we could be sure we were running the credit check on the right person. And we needed the social security number for that reason also. (Years ago...these days there might be different info needed to run a credit check)  But we asked to see the DL, not have it on the application. As for bank accounts, there is no way I would give out that info. I *might* be willing to say where I banked and that I have checking and savings accounts, but not the numbers. Nope. 

If you really want to apply, could you talk to the landlords about your concern about giving out so much info? They shouldn't be offended if you ask why they needed those things. Maybe it's a standard application and when you ask they will realize they never use the info and will be willing to let you apply without providing all that info. 

I hope some current landlords will chime in, and I hope you find just the right place soon. 

• Like 3

If you really want to apply, could you talk to the landlords about your concern about giving out so much info? 

I could, but it's probably pointless anyway wrt these people... they said they'd had a lot of people come look at the house. My wife is insisting on not signing anything longer than a 6 month lease, and when I mentioned that to them they said they were looking for a one year... I did say that we were willing to pay a bit more, say, $100/month more - that I'd have to talk to my wife for the exact amount, and they looked like they were *maybe* willing to consider that... but realistically, if we're going to be a PITA about the stuff they want on the form, I'm pretty sure we're out of the running. 

My wife just doesn't seem to get how hard it is to find something that's no carpet (because allergies), in a low crime neighborhood, single family house or a side-side duplex (not upper-lower, which there are a ton of), within 10 miles from work, for the price she wants, and available within the next 3 weeks, and willing to do a 6 month lease or shorter.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to look for these unicorns at this point. I feel like it's wasting my time, and I should just find a storage unit that's big enough to put all our stuff in and find some motel that does weekly or monthly rates and isn't too shady/allergy-inducing. Even though the combination of storage + motel is guaranteed to be significantly more expensive than these places that she's feeling are on the expensive side, sigh.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Why the 6 month lease thing?

For single family houses that is rarely available. Maybe a duplex. At least around here, to get a 6 month lease, you need to be willing to look at apartments. Even then a year is the norm unless it caters to students.

And we're not going to get into anything for students while having two elementary aged kids (and not actually being students). I mean, maybe some of the places might take us... if we rent the entire house, but most of them are way too expensive to rent the entire house based on the per-room rate. At some point it's cheaper to sign a 12-month for a lower rate than a 6-month for a higher rate.

6 month lease because she wants to buy something. Or get a different job in another city. Depending on whether her boss will give her a promotion/raise or not. Something to do with if we have to put everything in boxes, we might as well leave everything boxed up until we are going to be in a more permanent place (whatever that turns out to be). She didn't even want to do 6 months initially (she wanted month-to-month), but I talked her into 6 months not being unreasonable. 

:banghead:

Oh, and apartment (and upper-lower duplexes) are out because my wife is bipolar and noisy neighbors really mess with her (they've sent her spiraling in the past), and because our own kids are noisy, so it's kind of impossible to get an apartment with quiet neighbors who are going to be cool with our little monsters.

I could, but it's probably pointless anyway wrt these people... they said they'd had a lot of people come look at the house. My wife is insisting on not signing anything longer than a 6 month lease, and when I mentioned that to them they said they were looking for a one year... I did say that we were willing to pay a bit more, say, $100/month more - that I'd have to talk to my wife for the exact amount, and they looked like they were *maybe* willing to consider that... but realistically, if we're going to be a PITA about the stuff they want on the form, I'm pretty sure we're out of the running. 

My wife just doesn't seem to get how hard it is to find something that's no carpet (because allergies), in a low crime neighborhood, single family house or a side-side duplex (not upper-lower, which there are a ton of), within 10 miles from work, for the price she wants, and available within the next 3 weeks, and willing to do a 6 month lease or shorter.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to look for these unicorns at this point. I feel like it's wasting my time, and I should just find a storage unit that's big enough to put all our stuff in and find some motel that does weekly or monthly rates and isn't too shady/allergy-inducing. Even though the combination of storage + motel is guaranteed to be significantly more expensive than these places that she's feeling are on the expensive side, sigh.

That must be so frustrating. Are you doing all the legwork? If so, maybe she needs to be more hands-on in the search to see what you're actually dealing with in terms of what's available. At some point the wish list needs a reality check. Hope you can find something acceptable soon.

• Like 7

If it were up to me, I'd be offering yesterday's people $1100 or so per month for a 6-month lease (instead of the $900/month they're asking, with a clause that drops the rent to $900/month after 6 months, because I'm not convinced we'll actually stay there only 6 months), and be willing to give them all that info after they show me their DL so I have proof they actually live in that house next door. But there's no way in hell my wife is going to go for that - "too expensive", kwim?

• Like 2

<snip>

<snip>

You are smart to look for a place that does not have wall-to-wall carpeting!   Much much healthier!   Many years ago, we met at least one family here in Colombia who'd moved to the USA and had to move back here, because of the carpeting and the filth in it. One could shampoo and vacuum carpeting every day and it would still be full of junk.

A late friend and his wife had their home in TX destroyed by a fire (her Honda (car) caught fire when it was parked in the garage). When they rebuilt the house, they had tile floors installed. 

We have tile floors in our house. They can be washed with water.

A 6 month lease sounds very short-term for a house. Are you there on a temporary job assignment or TDY there?

That must be so frustrating. Are you doing all the legwork? If so, maybe she needs to be more hands-on in the search to see what you're actually dealing with in terms of what's available. At some point the wish list needs a reality check. Hope you can find something acceptable soon.

Thanks. She's looked a tiny bit, but not anywhere near enough. She hasn't been feeling good (caught the common cold or something), but that's not going to change the deadline or anything. I mean, she apparently thinks she can just offer our current landlord more money to let us stay an extra month or two if necessary, but I'm not convinced that's true, and even if it is true, she'd have to negotiate that now, not May 30th or w/e. Because if I were our current landlord, I'd be scheduling plumbers etc (she wants to fix up this place), and while my wife thinks they could just work on the other side of the duplex, imo, if I'm hiring a plumber, I'm going to have him do both sides at once, not have him do one side one day and then have him come back another month for the other side. So, I probably need to give her a reality check on that... she's been off her meds for like a year or something though (which I didn't find out about until January), and I'm really worried she's just going to crash and burn at the end of this month if things don't work out (which, crash and burn is looking like the only possible way to get her back on her meds, but I'm not exactly looking forward to that).

Holy cow, those requirements just stressed me out.

If you get to a landlord the instant they list something and offer them more money for a 6 month lease, you have a fighting chance since you are probably responsible people with clean backgrounds. Your edge may be that you want it quickly because some houses want a fast turnaround after a tenant leaves, whereas people like me want to sign a lease two months before I move in 🙄

Those desperate houses won't even list until next week, though. Sometimes, if you're quick enough and it's not an agent, you can give a deposit with your application.

You usually have to give ssn for the background check, but I never give any other info.

Good luck to you!

Oh! I just saw that new info. Stop posting and call your current landlord NOW!

• Like 2

Oh, and apartment (and upper-lower duplexes) are out because my wife is bipolar and noisy neighbors really mess with her (they've sent her spiraling in the past), and because our own kids are noisy, so it's kind of impossible to get an apartment with quiet neighbors who are going to be cool with our little monsters.

Have you guys lived in a duplex before? Ime, some of the side-by-sides are actually quite a bit noisier than the upper/lower if they haven't done the special walls with the double wall with staggered studs and all that. We're in an upper/lower duplex right now, and we rarely hear anything. Of course, we have everything carpeted except the kitchen and the bathroom, so that helps. And hot water heat, so there are no adjoining air vents which I swear to god should be illegal in multi-family dwellings. The place we were in before had connected heating vents and we could hear every single thing our neighbor did. If someone peed downstairs, we could hear it. This place is blissfully silent.

Anyway, good luck! Finding a new rental can be such a hassle. I hope you find something that meets your needs.

ETA: I have a bipolar spouse too, so I feel your pain with the housing search.

Edited by Mergath
  • Like 1

Six month leases are rare unicorns.  When we looked into temporary housing in long-term hotels, it ran $200/night for a 2BR, which we needed because we had 4 kids. $6000/month.  I'd give her some actual numbers to deal with of what it would look like if you became homeless.

First website I tried, it looks like here we could find a studio hotel room for 2 adults, 2 kids for $85/night (l put in May 31st - July 31st), so that's 'only' $2550/month... which, we could survive for a couple of months, financially... but, like I said, is crazy much more expensive than renting a place - we could sign a 12-month lease on some place instead of dealing with that mess. But you're right, I need to somehow convey these realities to her. 

Have you guys lived in a duplex before? 

We're currently in a side-side, but you're right, it probably all depends on how it's built. 

Okay, just called landlord, and as I suspected, no, they're not interested in letting us stay longer in exchange for more money - they have electricians etc scheduled.

Edited by luuknam

We're currently in a side-side, but you're right, it probably all depends on how it's built. 

Okay, just called landlord, and as I suspected, no, they're not interested in letting us stay longer in exchange for more money - they have electricians etc scheduled.

Definitely make sure you view any potential places in the evening or on a weekend. Visit a couple times during different times of day, if at all possible. Landlords always seem to schedule visits during weekdays when they know everyone is at work and you can't get a feel for how noisy the place is. So you move in and the first evening find out that your neighbor has a penchant for playing death metal on his giant subwoofer until three in the morning next to your bedroom. :lol: 

• Like 4

Ugh, that sounds impossibly frustrating. I'm sorry your wife's being a pain about all of this....I'm glad (I hope) you're coming here and venting to us so you can deal reasonably with her later. 

Wishing you the best of luck; sounds as though you're going to need it. I don't envy you your position at all.....I hope she'll be open to hearing reality and compromising on a few things. 

• Like 2

You can offer to complete the background check via a secure website. We did that when we were considering renting our old house. The applicant doesn't give the landlord their sensitive information directly. 

You are smart to check ID and ownership of the property. 

• Like 6

First website I tried, it looks like here we could find a studio hotel room for 2 adults, 2 kids for $85/night (l put in May 31st - July 31st), so that's 'only' $2550/month...

Hey... I found one for $71/night, which is 'only' $2100/month... sigh.

Other crazy ideas include renting a cabin in the woods for $182/week - but the cabins don't have electricity or running water and the shower facilities are 3 miles away, but hey, it's cheap!

Of course, none of the above include the cost of storage we'd have to rent to keep our stuff, and storage isn't cheap either. 

ETA: We'd kind of considered doing the cabin thing for summer vacation anyway, so I wouldn't think it's terrible if we were to do that for a week or two.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

You can offer to complete the background check via a secure website. We did that when we were considering renting our old house. The applicant doesn't give the landlord their sensitive information directly. 

Do you have the name of a website like that? I'm feeling exhausted.

For the amount of rent you are thinking of paying I would look into purchasing a trailer and parking it somewhere quiet. The weather should be decent for the next six months and then you could move right into the perfect house. A bi-polar person might be happier in a trailer parked in a natural setting anyway. I have a very introvert former coworker who lives in an Airstream very happily. It is parked at the edge of a large park by a lake and he pretends he has no neighbors. Works very well for him. Cheaper than an apartment, much more private, and plenty of breathing room outdoors. When his grandkids come visit they pitch a tent in the next space over.

• Like 8

For the amount of rent you are thinking of paying I would look into purchasing a trailer and parking it somewhere quiet. The weather should be decent for the next six months and then you could move right into the perfect house. A bi-polar person might be happier in a trailer parked in a natural setting anyway. I have a very introvert former coworker who lives in an Airstream very happily. It is parked at the edge of a large park by a lake and he pretends he has no neighbors. Works very well for him. Cheaper than an apartment, much more private, and plenty of breathing room outdoors. When his grandkids come visit they pitch a tent in the next space over.

Trailers- either RVs or mobile homes- can be problematic in places with real winter. Dh and I have talked about doing that, but RVs usually have no insulation, and mobile homes often have such poor insulation that whatever you save in rent or mortgage payments ends up going towards heat.

• Like 2

For the amount of rent you are thinking of paying I would look into purchasing a trailer and parking it somewhere quiet. The weather should be decent for the next six months and then you could move right into the perfect house. A bi-polar person might be happier in a trailer parked in a natural setting anyway. 

Right... we've contemplated that as well. Thing is, her job is in downtown Buffalo, and she bicycle commutes, and there are just no places within a reasonable distance to put that trailer (well, there's one place in Canada, but it's not cheap, and then there's the whole Canada-is-abroad thing). Of course, cabin in the woods is not within bicycle commuting distance either - I'd have to let her use the car (which I'm fine with - she just likes to be able to bicycle commute), so, yes, trailer outside of bicycle commuting distance is an option too. 

Trailer is not a winter option here, obviously. Nov/Dec in a camper in NL was bad enough - and they don't get near the snow we do. Cabin is not a winter option either, for the record. And someone mentioned that it's harder to rent if you're not currently renting as an argument against a cabin, but I think that'd be the same problem with a trailer, no?

In good news though, she _finally_ talked to her boss about wanting a promotion, and he agreed with all her points and is sending it up the chain, so we'll see. If she gets the promotion (and accompanying raise), then we'll be looking at buying something here. For which we'd need to get a VA home loan or something (she's a veteran), as we don't have 20% saved up for a downpayment, and with w/e is going to happen at the end of this month, it's looking like it's not going to help in saving up money in a hurry. BUT, having that anxiety about asking for a promotion off her to-do list, she says she's got more ability to focus on what will happen come June. I also told her that our landlord said "hell no" to us staying longer for more money, and she still wants to text landlord and hear that from the horse's mouth, but w/e. Progress has been made of some sorts. 

• Like 4

Trailers- either RVs or mobile homes- can be problematic in places with real winter. Dh and I have talked about doing that, but RVs usually have no insulation, and mobile homes often have such poor insulation that whatever you save in rent or mortgage payments ends up going towards heat.

Absolutely. I only suggested it because it sounds like they want to move into a house after six months, so it seemed easier than a six month lease. The situation works for my friend because the Portland Oregon area is pretty temperate. I would not suggest doing so in the winter. 

I have another friend whose family tent camped for four months one summer to afford a down payment on a house in the fall. They did that in Ashland Oregon, not too cold from May to Sept, and they had a lot of fun doing it, but they were a really fun family who could make the best out of any situation. I would never suggest anyone do that, lol. 

• Like 2

Amazingly, yesterday's guy called me back to see if we were still interested in that house - my wife should be home soon, so we can talk that over again... I'd imagine that if they got plenty of good applicants they wouldn't be calling me back about the 6 month lease thing, so, that's looking hopeful?

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 13

So, we went to look at the house again today (my wife hadn't seen it yet), and she filled out and submitted the application while we were there, so, more progress. She says it'd be okay, but wants to look more into the camper idea - there are some used ones for sale in this area in the $1000-$2000 range. 

• Like 5

So, we went to look at the house again today (my wife hadn't seen it yet), and she filled out and submitted the application while we were there, so, more progress. She says it'd be okay, but wants to look more into the camper idea - there are some used ones for sale in this area in the $1000-$2000 range.

Make sure you don't worry so much about pleasing your wife that you settle for something you don't like. You are always so kind and sweet and you worry about making her happy and about how everything will affect her, but please don't forget that you matter, too! :grouphug:

• Like 10

Do you have a place to park a camper cheaper than a campground?  Because a campground is not always cheaper than your reasonable rent.  

Small landlords are usually wiling to bend the rules for a better grade of renter than they're expecting (that is good job, credit and rental history).  Your 6 month lease is reasonable.  Sorry, I can't help with your wife's expectations.  

Make sure you don't worry so much about pleasing your wife that you settle for something you don't like. You are always so kind and sweet and you worry about making her happy and about how everything will affect her, but please don't forget that you matter, too! :grouphug:

Thanks, but I'm not entirely sure what makes you think I'm like that. I'm not against the camper idea - I just need at least one concrete possibility, rather than "we should be able to find something cheaper" or "maybe we could...", or w/e. So, it's looking like this house might be a concrete possibility - but if my wife can hash out an okay sounding camper plan in the next couple of days, that's fine by me too. I'm not going for perfection here - saving that for when we buy a house.

• Like 3

Do you have a place to park a camper cheaper than a campground?  Because a campground is not always cheaper than your reasonable rent.  

No, we don't, so I'm not holding my breath on that. That said, if it doesn't cost more, it might feel more vacation-y than a house (I know there's a state park nearby that's $24/night, so not financially appealing, but also not financially unappealing). So, anyway, I'm just going to see what (if anything) she comes up with, and think about the pros and cons - and whether she hears back from higher up about promotion potential will have an impact too on which way I might lean. She has quite a number of vacation days saved up too, so there's that. I don't *think* we'll end up in a camper, but we've lived in a camper before (month in NL last Nov/Dec, and a year when Celery was a 0yo), so I'm not naive about the pros/cons/realities of that option. 

ETA: it just occurred to me that my wife mentioned that if they give her that promotion, that will probably mean tacking the word 'principal' to the front of her job title (some sort of programming job)... so, wait... would that mean that we'd be a 2 principal household (with me being the principal of our homeschool)?

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 4

First website I tried, it looks like here we could find a studio hotel room for 2 adults, 2 kids for $85/night (l put in May 31st - July 31st), so that's 'only' $2550/month... which, we could survive for a couple of months, financially... but, like I said, is crazy much more expensive than renting a place - we could sign a 12-month lease on some place instead of dealing with that mess. But you're right, I need to somehow convey these realities to her.

Could you find air bnb property? But she needs a reality check.

So, we looked at that house again on Thursday, and everything seemed great, and then on Friday they called me to me know they rented it to someone else. On the bright side, my wife has finally gotten he memo that something needs to be done - she decided a 12 month lease would be fine, and made a list of apartments, and then had me look it over, and has been calling them her entire lunch break today. So far not much luck, but w/e - she at least seems to be in contact with reality. 

• Like 9

Sorry that one didn't work out, but glad she's now more on board with realistic plans.

Just an FYI on camping long term.. The NY state parks only allow you to stay for 2 weeks at a time & may be full often. Had a friend last summer who needed housing for the whole summer & planned to just move from site to site after her 2 weeks were up, but it didn't work as well as planned.. The park realized what she was up to.

• Like 2

We found a place yesterday. They still need to verify my wife's income (trivial) and talk to our current landlord (should not be a problem), but if that works out it's ours to rent. I'm both relieved and a little disappointed... it's a roof over our heads (roofs are good), but it's in a completely different part of town and I'm just not really loving the location - it's just not close to stuff I want it to be close to - but, it's only $700/month for a 3 bedroom (ground floor of a house, 12 month lease), so, I'll make do. 

• Like 11

We found a place yesterday. They still need to verify my wife's income (trivial) and talk to our current landlord (should not be a problem), but if that works out it's ours to rent. I'm both relieved and a little disappointed... it's a roof over our heads (roofs are good), but it's in a completely different part of town and I'm just not really loving the location - it's just not close to stuff I want it to be close to - but, it's only $700/month for a 3 bedroom (ground floor of a house, 12 month lease), so, I'll make do. 

At least your stress level is hopefully somewhat reduced.

I am glad something worked out. I get the part of wanting to be near the places we are familiar with or like better but if you guys are buying, then the whole house hunting process will start soon and maybe you can look back in an area you like better.

Thanks for the update -- I'm glad to hear you found a place, but I wish the location was more convenient for you. Is it a safe area, at least?

Not as safe as our current area (which is about as safe as areas come), but not too bad either. 

At least your stress level is hopefully somewhat reduced.

I am glad something worked out. I get the part of wanting to be near the places we are familiar with or like better but if you guys are buying, then the whole house hunting process will start soon and maybe you can look back in an area you like better.

Yep, and in a sense it'd be good to move over there because it will maybe help us figure out better where we'd want to buy (or, where we don't want to buy). 

• Like 1