#1 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

Just need to put it in God's hands.

Edited by seekinghim45, 10 May 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#2 JanetC

JanetC

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2501 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

Read the financial aid section of the school's website carefully. Meet all requirements and deadlines. There may be more than just the FAFSA required. Ask questions if anything is not clear.

You can use the net price calculator to see what the need-based aid looks like at the school, but ignore any freshman merit scholarships it returns.

Edited by JanetC, 10 May 2017 - 01:01 PM.

#3 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

Nt

Edited by seekinghim45, 10 May 2017 - 08:23 PM.

#4 GoodGrief

GoodGrief

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

I'd have him go and talk directly to Financial Aid about the options.

#5 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

Nm

Edited by seekinghim45, 10 May 2017 - 08:51 PM.

#6 MerryAtHope

MerryAtHope

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7635 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

He'll have to call and I'm not sure he is well enough to do that at present

Is he well enough to ask financial aid to talk to his parents? 

Barring that, could you call financial aid, say you know that they can't give you specifics but describe the situation with your son's health briefly and ask what steps he can take next--find out who he'll need to call or meet with, what forms he'll need etc... Sometimes you can be a bridge even if they don't want to work with you on the specifics. 

• DawnM likes this

#7 Corraleno

Corraleno

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8309 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Ok, we have never done financial aid before.  Long story...  this child might be going to school to finish a last semester this fall... it may not happen until spring.  Scholarships are gone over the last 4 years.  We can pay cash, but don't want to.... at least not the whole thing.  What kind of grants/loans can he get.  We will not qualify for any financial aid.  The semester will cost about 20,000.   I will be filling out FAFSA   ASAP.  Anything else?

If you don't qualify for need-based aid, you're basically looking at Direct Unsubsidized Loans (student loan, max $7500) and PLUS loans (parent loan, limit is COA), which are Federal loans and require FAFSA, or private loans like Sallie Mae, which doesn't require FAFSA.

#8 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

Nt

Edited by seekinghim45, 10 May 2017 - 08:52 PM.

#9 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:32 PM

I think he is planning on attending this fall.

#10 JanetC

JanetC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2501 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

The FAFSA requires both the parent and student 2015 tax returns and current bank balances, etc. So if your son is not well enough to do the forms that might be a problem. You need the numbers from your paper returns as the IRS retrieval tool is down for security upgrades.

It is OK to call financial aid and explain your circumstances. Since you have missed the deadlines, you need to ask if they will consider a late application, and if so, do you need to do anything extra (like following the financial aid appeal process to explain the special circumstances).

#11 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

Nt

Edited by seekinghim45, 10 May 2017 - 08:52 PM.

#12 *LC

*LC

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

I'm sorry that you son is unwell; praying that he is better soon.

I don't have any advice. I do think if one of mine was in that situation, and odds are one will be at some point, I would waant to talk through pros/cons of returning to school in fall vs spring vs following fall.
  • MerryAtHope likes this

#13 *LC

*LC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

I'm sorry that your son is unwell; praying that he is better soon.

I don't have any advice. I do think if one of mine was in than situation, and odds are one will be at some point, I would waant to talk through pros/cons of returning to school this fall vs the spring vs the following fall.

#14 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

Nt

Edited by seekinghim45, 10 May 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#15 *LC

*LC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:09 PM

When is money due at school? At my kids' school tuition/etc isn't due until late in the summer. So, I would register for fall knowing it would be easy to drop without paying anying before classes started if it was not the right time to restart classes.

Does he need to redo the entire class or simply finish up incomplete work? I would guess that would be handled differently moneywise.

#16 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

Nt

Edited by seekinghim45, 10 May 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#17 JanetC

JanetC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2501 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

I'm sorry. I know you and your son both want to get things "back to normal" as quickly as possible, but if he is not well enough to figure out how to register for fall, it doesn't sound like now is the time to figure out the financial aid part.

The worst-case scenario is the federal direct student loan until he maxes that out, then the PLUS loan as described above. These can usually be arranged just before the semester starts if necessary. When he is well enough, you can look at other options.
  • CinV likes this

#18 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4336 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

Nt

Edited by seekinghim45, 10 May 2017 - 08:55 PM.

#19 MerryAtHope

MerryAtHope

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7635 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:07 AM

(((Hugs))) Praying for you and your son. Hard times.

#20 Scoutermom

Scoutermom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6225 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:22 AM

I am terrified this year. DD is graduating and there is a good possibility I won't be working this fall.

If we don't get enough aid, in addition to the scholarships, I don't know what we'll do. DS's school doesn't notify until late June or July, so if we don't get enough it will be too late to apply for aid anywhere else.

I'm trying not to panic

#21 katilac

katilac

Chief Educational Executive & Cruise Director

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9128 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

DS's school doesn't notify until late June or July, so if we don't get enough it will be too late to apply for aid anywhere else.

That's so insane! Sometimes I think the entire college process is designed to test our mental stability. 

• Scoutermom likes this

#22 JanetC

JanetC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2501 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

That's been pretty typical for returning students: they have to wait until all the freshman financial aid applications are done because the school is trying to recruit them by May 1st. However, with the new prior prior year system, schools could move all the deadlines to the fall and do returning students first, if they wanted to.
  • Scoutermom and Grantmom like this

#23 *LC

*LC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:41 PM

Scoutermom,

I'm sorry. Can you send an update on your job situation to the school? When will you know if you will be working this fall? I'm sorry for the stress.
  • Scoutermom likes this

#24 Scoutermom

Scoutermom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6225 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

Scoutermom,

I'm sorry. Can you send an update on your job situation to the school? When will you know if you will be working this fall? I'm sorry for the stress.

I have a temporary agreement to teach two courses in the fall. However, the school is advertising for someone with the appropriate degree so if someone applies and meets the criteria I will lose those classes. I'm hoping it happens sooner rather than later. 

Thank you for the kind words.

• MerryAtHope likes this

#25 Scoutermom

Scoutermom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6225 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

To the OP:

I hope everything is coming together for your family. I know how difficult life can be.   :grouphug: