Menu

Short map skills book for 6th?

We have done Scholastic Success with Maps for grades 1-5 and I am looking for something short and sweet for 6th. I looked at the Complete Book of Maps and Geography and it looks nice but it is way too many pages for us. Something like that though. 

Evan Moor maybe??

I have no idea - my oldest finished SSwM Grade 5 this year as well, and I'm planning on a) Zombie-Based Geography (not at all what you're looking for), and b) just using map skills throughout the curriculum. We've got various atlases, so if we're studying something, I could just ask him to look up something relevant in an appropriate atlas - like, "How far is ___ from ___", "What was the greatest extent of the Inca empire", "Where are the most coal mines" etc.

I'm also planning on having my wife drop us in some random (predetermined) spot with a map and then having my son figure out how to get to a certain destination from there (which would involve figuring out where we are on the map first, as well as where the destination is, and then the obvious how to get from a to b). And maybe have him figure out what route to use if we're going somewhere with the car.

• Like 1

Evan Moor has daily geography and it's basically map skills.

If you did map skills for all of elementary school though, I might move on. I mean, it's not that hard to read a map and five years of the vocabulary and they probably have most of it. I would focus on knowing the actual geography instead. Sheppard Software is free and you could just schedule it for a short time however many times a week you want to work on it.

• Like 2

If you did map skills for all of elementary school though, I might move on. I mean, it's not that hard to read a map and five years of the vocabulary and they probably have most of it. I would focus on knowing the actual geography instead. Sheppard Software is free and you could just schedule it for a short time however many times a week you want to work on it.

Thank you for this. This is what I was intending to do, but I was experiencing some self doubt about moving on from the map skills. 

• Like 1

There are a series of workbooks by mark twain publishing for middle school that each focus on different sections of the world. They are more applied map skills, rather than teaching map skills iykwim. That could be a spine and through in some documentaries, research papers, reading about the countries as you go.

• Like 1

I really like the Modern Curriculum Press Maps Chart and Graphs books.  Book D, which is sitting in front of me, has 30 lessons but not a lot of writing. Many questions are multiple choice or very short answer. 

Book E is Us and its neighbors

Book F Eastern Hemisphere

Book G The World

Book H United States Past and Present.

• Like 4