Menu

Would you sign your high schooler up for these classes?

We live in a major city, where there are very few homeschoolers, and homeschool opportunities. We moved a year ago from an area that had a huge population of HS and so this is quite the change...

My daughter will be going into 10th this next school year, and right now she's in an all day wilderness survival class that she loves, and will continue next year as well.

This was the only class she took this year, so was mostly home. We attend our bible meetings 2 times a week, but not too many kids in her age group, a few girls that are a bit older who do include her in activities 1ce or twice a month.

She has no interest in going to public school and I don't really want her to anyway as the schools are not the best here and I have different educational objectives. So other than these activities, she always home, and I don't think it's healthy for her. She dropped dance last year, and had no interest in any other classes.

There's a weekly day of classes set up by a mom in our group whom I haven't met- for 12-15 year olds (she'll be 15 when it starts as well) that is a weekly writing class, chemistry, and coding class. The writing class will be taught by a lady who has a

Writing school, but it sounds like she has her own method of teaching, using more of creative writing prompts, I'm not super impressed with the idea behind it, but she has excellent reviews. My daughter is a prolific writer and has written books, so she really

Needs no help in that department, after receiving a classical education for years.

The Chemistry class is taught by a science teacher from a local university using a textbook with labs. I had wanted her to use Apologia Biology this year initially.

The coding class is free and taught

By one of the parents.

Writing class is $50 for 1.5 hour class, chemistry is $35 for 1.5 hour class. So $88 a week for these two, neither of which I'm super interested in but she needs the socialization and I think could benefit from being a group setting.

Between her wilderness survival class and this it would be about 500 a month... very tight for us to pay for, and my part time job would essentially all go towards that. There's no other classes for homeschoolers within an hour drive, and the homeschoolers here don't get together for any other reason.

Would you sign your kid of for this? You have to pay up front for the whole semester as well. Ouch!

ETA: sorry for so many typos, I'm on my phone!

Edited by sagesavannah

Is she interested in any of the those subjects? If she's already a prolific writer, then I probably wouldn't sign her up for the writing class since she's at the upper end of the age range (and because it sounds like your main objective is the social interaction.)

It sounds like you are not very impressed with any of the options. In that case, I wouldn't spend an entire paycheck on them.

This is a tough one. Is there any way to meet and hang out with the people first? I am super hesitant about shelling out 2000.00 for one semester with people you have never met.

😱

I agree that it sounds like your dd needs to get out a bit more- aren't there any book clubs at the library? Library jobs? Library volunteer positions? YMCA job positions?

I think I'd be more inclined to start my own homeschooled highschooler club/hangout of some sort, especially since she'll age out of this one in a year, and who knows whether there'll be other 15yos or if it'll almost entirely 12yos?

• Like 4

Honestly, no. I'd keep looking and praying for other opportunities to come up. I would not pay for just any writing class, especially if I wasn't super-impressed with the idea behind it, for a student who is a prolific writer. Especially since she's on the older side of the class range--it doesn't sound like it would challenge her or further her skills (and if mostly 12 yo's sign up, that's a lot of money for socializing with kids who aren't really her age. Not that she can't enjoy kids of other ages--my dd certainly does--but it just doesn't seem like a super-great fit.

I also would not pay for a chemistry class if your plan was biology, unless I thought she had the math to be ready for chem and it's a high-school worthy chem class (I'm uncertain because of the age range)--I'd be cautious and want to know a lot more on this one. It would be great to have a labs run by a university instructor, but ask lots of questions about the fit (and also how many labs they'll be doing etc...). 

If you can do just coding, or maybe just chem and coding, I'd consider it (well, if your dd is interested in coding that is!)

• Like 1

Will there be hanging out time in between the classes? Have you met any of the other kids? Do you have a sense of what the social atmosphere would be?

The chemistry seems like it could be good... a real teacher with a good text is superior in my mind to doing Apologia, but I'm biased on that. If she has any interest in coding, then doing it with other kids can be motivating.

Overall though, I think I'd be more inclined to build something yourself for her. Like, could you coach a Destination Imagination or Odyssey of the Mind team? Or host a weekly art day or something? Or... forget the writing teacher... since she loves to write, could you just start a free writing group for her so kids could come and share their work and critique together? That's what grown ups who write for pleasure and publication tend to do - have critique groups. I don't know what would work best... but if there are enough kids for those classes, maybe there are enough for you to host something for her that fits her needs better and doesn't cost you except in time.

• Like 3

That's a weekly price for a single class? Based on that alone, no way. The no would get stronger for me since it doesn't mesh with what you had planned for her curriculum. I agree with others that I'd look for a different opportunity for connecting with people.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

That's a weekly price for a single class? Based on that alone, no way. The no would get stronger for me since it doesn't mesh with what you had planned for her curriculum. I agree with others that I'd look for a different opportunity for connecting with people.

Erica in OR

I think that's per month? Or perhaps per session, however long that is? Because if it's per week, the math doesn't add up to her $500 per month for all activities (including the outdoor class, the price of which wasn't even mentioned).

I think that's per month? Or perhaps per session, however long that is? Because if it's per week, the math doesn't add up to her $500 per month for all activities (including the outdoor class, the price of which wasn't even mentioned).

That's what I thought, but then the OP says the two classes (writing and chemistry) would be $88/week.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

That's what I thought, but then the OP says the two classes (writing and chemistry) would be $88/week.

Erica in OR

Oh, I think you're right. Good grief. The price for the chemistry class isn't crazy if it's really a professor teaching a quality course, especially with labs. But that writing class... I can't imagine paying that much per week. That's like a private tutor rate.

No, I would not sign up for that, in the circumstances you describe. I would focus on finding other opportunities for your daughter: Academics that are a better fit, or some sort of work (paid or volunteer) that gets her out in the community.

• Like 1

You say your DD is a prolific writer and does not need a writing class, so I would not do that.

Coding only if she is interested.

The one class I would seriously consider is chemistry - unless that is your area of subject expertise and love. Outsourcing science to a qualified teacher who also runs the labs is totally worth it. I would, however, inquire how a once weekly class is going to earn a high school credit, and how much work is expected outside of class.

It makes a lot of sense to cover chem before bio.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

No. I wouldn't pay for classes you aren't sold on. Also the prices seem awfully steep to me.

I'd keep looking and praying for new opportunities. You say you are in a major city so there are bound to be opportunities of some sort. As far as classes, you can keep teaching at home or outsource online for way less than $500/month.

Look at volunteer opportunities, venture scouts, explorer clubs, classes through the library, theatre, sports, ultimate frisbee. There are bound to be ways to get out of the house without paying prices for classes you really aren't sold on.

Chem class sounds good, but I'd make sure it is high school level, which I doubt considering it is for 12-15 year olds (or was that just the writing class?). Otherwise, you're paying a lot for a middle school class that isn't credit-worthy.

I wouldn't stretch my budget to pay for classes that might not be a good fit regardless of the social opportunity.

Agreeing with the others - do chemistry and coding. Start make inquiries and plans to start something for 16 - 18 year olds for next year. I have found that science and foreign language classes fill up quickly so maybe you could start lining up teachers for that.

Personally, I would see if you could start a book club next year for kids her age. 

Are there any colleges in your area? In our area, there are many college-based outreach programs designed for high school students, which are offered after school, on weekends, or over the summer.  Most of the local museums and the zoo and aquarium also offer programs for high school students. Participation is a usually mix of public, private, and home school students.