Menu

Romeo and Juliet for a 10 year old

NewIma

I don't have an opinion on taking her to the play.

But I've checked this book out and several others from this series and they're all really good.

I had the hardest time searching for it on Amazon because I couldn't remember the illustrator (I knew it was a well known illustrator). They must be out of print.

Romeo and Juliet https://www.amazon.com/dp/0803724624/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Jakezb33VJA9Q

Edited by kitten18
  • Like 1

I'd read the Charles Lamb and/or Bruce Coville retellings together.

After you have the basic plot down I'd watch a movie, in small doses if she's bored/overwhelmed.

I'd play around with the actual script with her, reading lines aloud and acting them out. Take turns. Make up costumes. There's a paper doll set from Dover if you're not costume people. We have a blast acting around the house. :)

You might get How To Teach Your Children Shakespeare by Ludwig for yourself to read.

After you've immersed in the story and before you see the play you might enjoy the Joseph Fiennes episode of Shakespeare Uncovered. You can watch it for free on pbs.org.

• Like 2

I second Bruce Coville ' s version. It is done well. When my oldest son was 12 yo I took him to Romeo and Juliet as well which he thoroughly enjoyed and was forever a Shakespeare fan. Prior to going we watched the old version of the film. There is a scene with nudity though. It was 2005 so I feel I was more ok with it then but I might not have chosen to show it as the parent I am now. I believe it is a case by case situation and the general maturity of the child. The movie is pretty violent all things given. I do not know of any other version of a movie that is better suited so I am also eager to hear about others' thoughts. Sticking to books might be better for a 10 year old prior to the production. The version we saw in the theater was done well and was age appropriate.

• Like 1

Fwiw, my mature/precocious 11yo has spent all year immersed in Shakespeare for literature. She reads retellings and watches the movies before she digs into the actual version. My 9yo has very little interest and doesn't participate, but if we had the chance to see a play I would do the plan I mentioned with her. Appropriateness for a 10yo will depend on the maturity of the particular kid and what she's accustomed to. Only you can gauge that. :001_smile:

Shakespeare was mentioned when we watched a documentary on Lincoln, so I got DS9 a graphic novel version of Romeo and Julliet from our library. He actually enjoyed it and talked about it for a while. So, I'm guessing it was very interesting. 

https://www.amazon.com/Romeo-Juliet-Gareth-Hinds/dp/0763668079/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494283221&sr=8-1&keywords=hinds%2C+gareth%2C+romeo+and+juliet

Also, I don't think this is what you asked..  But, I've been eyeing this game since then. It's called "The Play's the Thing Board Game". It's supposed to be "fun way to learn about shakespeare".

https://www.amazon.com/Plays-Thing-Board-Game/dp/B00000JGRJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1494283624&sr=8-4&keywords=shakespeare+game

• Like 1

We are planning to see Romeo and Juliet this summer too. (I have two boys, 7 & 12) All the books mentioned are great.

And that board game looks awesome, Masamama!

We have watched quite a bit of Shakespeare's work, and violence not been much of an issue. Live shows are usually not very violent. Nearly everyone in Macbeth is murdered, but it is via fake stage stabbing with no blood. I guess it depends on the child's sensitivity, though. We are still recovering from some very bawdy, catchy tunes in taming of the shrew. [emoji15] every once in a while my boys break out in song.

[emoji445] some like a girl who is pretty in the face

Some like a girl who is slender in the waist

But give me a girl who will wiggle and will twist

Down below the belly lies the cuckoos nest!

Ps, you can usually find live recordings from The Globe at the library.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...