Menu

Finals week "parent vent" thread- come on In!

Along the lines of last semester's "ouch- some hard time management lessons being learned this week" thread...

How's this week going so far for everyone?

It's end of semester here for ds's computer science DE classes & online Physics.

Things are better than last semester, looks like final projects will be done today (due Tues- Thursday, so a bit early, barely). Hoping for no uploading issuEs when trying to turn in this time round.

No studying going on for exams yet though. Sigh.

He leaves next weekend for Intel ISEF & is putting a lot of energy into last min sci fair prep for that.

Only one meltdown last night (from him, not me- I "think" I'm starting to handle end of semester better, lol).

Good luck to all your kiddos & may all the parents make it through the week! Feed them well, grin & bear it :)

• Like 6

I think we have some of the earliest finals of the year. Both my dds are done and have all of their grades back. An excellent semester for one and not too bad for the other. My eldest is taking the summer off other than work, but dd 17 starts Summer A classes tomorrow.  :willy_nilly:

• Like 1

Two APs done. One university DE math final to go. Two CC finals to go and thankfully the CC ones are the easiest of the lot (Lab Bio and Japanese).

For the math DE final, the prof assigned take home homework on material he HAS NOT covered completely in class (covered only very briefly)! How many profs do something like this? But probably not odd given how crazy this prof has been throughout the semester. Going off on rambles about things not related to the math etc. Stretching the one hour class out over 2.5 hours (about three quarters of which seemed like unrelated material and so on). It would have been okay if DS was living in dorms like most other students but we commute each way three times a week to the class and all the extra hours = parking cost for me (in addition to the almost $3K class cost).

In the end though, it has been a good experience. I cannot complain/ vent too much. DS's mind has  opened up so much thanks to this (crazy though he is) prof. I think this prof would have been very much like our kids here but maybe suited more to research than teaching. I think a few years more and the rambles might be helping DS to make connections like ah, now I know what Prof W was talking about" :laugh: .

Good luck for his ISEF Hilltopmom! And good luck to all of our kids!

• Like 2

SAT was on Sat, AP English Language will be on Wed, and it's Technical/dress rehearsal week for their drama production which requires about 3 10-12 hour days. 😱😱😱

So, yes, some time management skills are being learned lol! If we all survive this week it will be a miracle!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Lots of hard time management lessons here, on both of our parts.  I just hope we both come out of it knowing how to do better.  I wish I had structured things better to start working on goals sooner.  There always seemed to be so much time, and then suddenly, bam, spring of junior year is here, with college apps looming on the horizon.  I feel like I know so much more now, and I do feel a bit of regret for not figuring some of this stuff out sooner.  I have been crazy stressed this past week, but mostly it's me kicking myself for not being more on top of some things.  But, at the same time, I am super proud of DS.  He is an amazing kid.  All in all, he has worked hard and learned a lot.

• Like 4

D has exhibited the best time management this semester---finally! She's taking 3 university language classes which means juggling cultural events, skit filming, required office hours, and all the oral exams.

The uni has a January term/winter session so spring classes don't end until next Tuesday. She has 3 oral finals and 3 written finals next week.

• Like 5

He'll be taking his last 2 finals on Tuesday. No worries about time management this semester.

This is finally true about my older ds (currently a senior). The complete opposite is true about younger ds (currently a sophomore). This year has been a nightmare of time management issues. Hopefully maturity and experience will make next year better?

I'm really envying those who are finishing already. Older ds has a final in his college class next week, but the public high school finals aren't until mid-June (I think the last day of finals is June 20). In the AP classes, this post-test time just drags on forever. All three of older ds's public school classes are AP!

• Like 2

Lots of hard time management lessons here, on both of our parts. I just hope we both come out of it knowing how to do better. I wish I had structured things better to start working on goals sooner. There always seemed to be so much time, and then suddenly, bam, spring of junior year is here, with college apps looming on the horizon. I feel like I know so much more now, and I do feel a bit of regret for not figuring some of this stuff out sooner. I have been crazy stressed this past week, but mostly it's me kicking myself for not being more on top of some things. But, at the same time, I am super proud of DS. He is an amazing kid. All in all, he has worked hard and learned a lot.

Just wanted to send you hugs and kudos to how hard he has worked.

• Like 2

So, I am just beyond exasperated and exhausted!  I am so grateful for oldest DD who has it all together.  In addition to surgery with complications (me), I have a wonderfully advanced and incredibly talented DS who desperately needs to mature if I am going to survive high school with him. I absolutely adore this young man, but I really really need him to mature some.  In fairness to him, some of his classes at a school he attends have ridiculously onerous requirements. His twin sister is as organized and put together as he is random and stream of consciousness.  To add to all of this, my adopted son is being bullied at the school he is enrolled in, so I have been dealing with that in between drop off and pick ups at AP exams.  I don't even have graduation invitations ready to mail for DD...heck I am not even sure who I am sending them to at this point.

• Like 5

"Liking" that in support, Gratia271.  So much to deal with all at once! I hope you get some rest and recovery for yourself and resolution to the various situations soon!  :grouphug:

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

Edited by Gratia271
  • Like 2

Gratia, I am sorry about the complications and bullying. ðŸ™

Wishing you lots of breathing time and strength to resolve the health and safety issues. Could the kids help with the graduation announcements? Would that help distract them while you resolve the other things? Wish we could help. Hugs!

• Like 3

So, I am just beyond exasperated and exhausted!  I am so grateful for oldest DD who has it all together.  In addition to surgery with complications (me), I have a wonderfully advanced and incredibly talented DS who desperately needs to mature if I am going to survive high school with him. I absolutely adore this young man, but I really really need him to mature some.  In fairness to him, some of his classes at a school he attends have ridiculously onerous requirements. His twin sister is as organized and put together as he is random and stream of consciousness.  To add to all of this, my adopted son is being bullied at the school he is enrolled in, so I have been dealing with that in between drop off and pick ups at AP exams.  I don't even have graduation invitations ready to mail for DD...heck I am not even sure who I am sending them to at this point.

Hang in there! :grouphug:

• Like 1

Just wanted to send you hugs and kudos to how hard he has worked.

Thank you so much for saying that!  I tend to overthink things, and know that I should probably just focus on all of the good stuff that has come out of this year.  :) 

• Like 2

Thank you so much for saying that!  I tend to overthink things, and know that I should probably just focus on all of the good stuff that has come out of this year.   :)

:grouphug: I totally get the overthinking. It's so hard to manage this and the 100 other things on your plate. Sometimes things really have a way of all happening at the same time too. Take care!

• Like 2

Gratia, I am sorry about the complications and bullying. ðŸ™

Wishing you lots of breathing time and strength to resolve the health and safety issues. Could the kids help with the graduation announcements? Would that help distract them while you resolve the other things? Wish we could help. Hugs!

Thanks so much!  DD15 has offered to help now that her exams are just about over.  

• Like 2

My oldest left yesterday to compete in Nationals at Gymnastics.  This morning I feel like myself again for the first time in weeks.

In addition to getting ready to compete, he had finals in Biology, History, Sociology and Literature. 

I did not realize how very stressful it has been until this morning - because all the stress is gone.

I still have 2 kids here, but having one INTENSE kid away for a few days and my husband away is the closest I get to a vacation and it is absolutely delightful.

I am doing a little happy dance. :hurray:

• Like 6

Summer DE class starts in a week, so only short break here & Ds will be out of town for the whole week.

Oh well, but he does need to finish up his online math class, I love that Derek Owens is asynchronous, but it's also easy to push aside too often. And he'll finish up his internship when he gets back too.

Maybe we should've taken the summer off. I told him next year he can take the whole summer off (no classes) before going off to college :)-

Except a summer job would be helpful...

• Like 2

Well, we have a first at our house.  Grades are in....4 A's and an F.  :ohmy:  She hasn't told me yet, I have access to her grades, but I always let her tell me how she did on her own.  This was her sophmore year, she had a 3.49 before this last semester started.  

I am sad for her, I know she must be extremely nervous to tell us.  I know it's not the end of the world, it's a higher level math class - she thought she wanted to minor in math....I think that might change after this.  

If any of you have had a child fail a college course, chime in with 'It'll be ok." advice.  I've got different emotions going thru me....

• Like 1

Well, we have a first at our house.  Grades are in....4 A's and an F.  :ohmy:  She hasn't told me yet, I have access to her grades, but I always let her tell me how she did on her own.  This was her sophmore year, she had a 3.49 before this last semester started.  

I am sad for her, I know she must be extremely nervous to tell us.  I know it's not the end of the world, it's a higher level math class - she thought she wanted to minor in math....I think that might change after this.  

If any of you have had a child fail a college course, chime in with 'It'll be ok." advice.  I've got different emotions going thru me....

Mine retook two classes last semester and got As in both the second time around.

• Like 3

No genuine finals here, but Envirothon competitions are this week.  I am more stressed than they are, and I resent myself for it.  :tongue_smilie:

Update: High school won counties and moves on to states.  (7th and 8th is today, but ends there.)

Proud of the kids, but it destroys my schedule for the next two weeks.  One part of me hopes they don't make the next (international) level, because it conflicts with summer DE.  The other part of me hopes they do this year, because it's being hosted within driving distance, while next year is on the other side of the country.  Win/win, lose/lose?

• Like 6

It'll be ok.

Ya know, I flunked German.  Still graduated with honors.  What is ironic about that is I married a German. 

Big hugs to her though.  It feels like the end of the world at the moment, but you know in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. 

• Like 1

No names or anything, but I have an offspring that has zillions of Spanish assignments (computer graded) due on Sunday & a test due next Tuesday. Hasn't started yet.

Same kid has a paper due tonight that said child last looked at a couple weeks ago when the rough draft came back with comments. Now, with a couple of hours to go, this kid asks me to help with it.

:nopity: We are definitely still masters of procrastination here.

Everything is last minute freak out. Except me. I'm all  :seeya: because it isn't my paper. I get to go to bed. (And I'll make sure this kid knows I'm not to be woken up because he/she needs a last minute proof-reader.)

• Like 1