Menu

Barton tiles vs AAS tiles

I am considering starting Barton this summer. I've read a bit about the Barton tile resell issue. I already have all the levels of AAS so I wonder if the tiles are similar enough I can just use those and sell the Barton tiles when i'm done with the level.

Barton users can you tell me if there is a significant difference between the tiles of Barton and AAS?

Thanks.

Barton are wooden and the colors are different. I love the high quality feel. We prefer the Barton tile app to the physical tiles though, simply because it saves set-up and clean-up time.

As mentioned, the colors are different.  Also, the Barton tiles are wooden and have a nice feel to them.  DD likes the feel of the Barton tiles.  You could adapt the AAS tiles to be used for Barton but you would have to constantly correct the references in the TM to specific color coded tiles.  Seems like a lot of effort to me.  Getting an extra set of Barton tiles is only $10 per level, or at least it was the last time I checked, so I found it easier to just buy a second set of tiles.  I didn't end up buying them right away, though.  As long as you are buying through Barton they have a record of you purchasing a level.  Just buy a second set when you get ready to sell or if you find you would like the redundancy of a second set (helps with building multiple words and leaving them on the board).  You wouldn't need a second set of the Level 1 tiles anyway.  Once that level is done you don't really need the Level 1 tiles any more since they are just blank colored tiles.  You could just flip over a lettered tile from another Barton level to use for a blank colored tile.

Also, a lot of people switch to the tile app after Level 2 or Level 3.  So easy to set up and put away and the words are pre-built into the system.  Each level is directly tied to each part of each lesson so it makes lessons flow really smoothly.  If you switched to the app at some point you would not need a second set anyway.

(On a side note, if you were to go the other way and wanted the whole shebang and for it to be set up with magnets and a storage system there is this, but it costs...

https://bartonreading.com/tutors-pdf/StacknGo.pdf )

Yeah, all you do is buy the extra set of Barton tiles for $10 and include one set when you sell. That way you have the option. I have AAS 1-6 and I prefer the Barton tiles. Haven't seen the Wilson tiles, but they sound nice. LOVE the Barton app, love love. 

I think you'll be glad to have tiles that match the pictures and the lessons. It's worth the extra $10.

The problem with buying tiles from Barton is I"m planning on buying used.  I hear that Barton is tight with their products/tiles if you don't purchase new from them.  

For those who like the app--do I have to purchase each level separately? Will they let me purchase the app if I've bought used?

Thanks

Check. I'm not sure you can get the app if you buy used. Really though, you won't want the app until level 3 or 4 at the earliest. Until then, physical tiles.

You're buying a set with no tiles? Or it comes with tiles but you won't have tiles when you sell it? 

Might be easier just to buy it new and resell. The amount you're saving is real but slight. Like I think my level cost me $60 after I sold it. 

How good is the price of the used set?  As OhE pointed out, you can resell for quite a significant amount.  I wouldn't worry about buying Level 1 new but it does help to buy the others through Barton.  Easier to access all the support material and easier to get the second set of tiles for only $10.  Levels sell well so you could use practice pages to keep reviewing the level just completed while you sell it and use that money to help with the cost of buying the next level.

I do think you can buy used and gain access so I'm not saying don't try.  I believe you have to prove that you bought a real version, not an illegal copy, though.  Do you know who you are buying from and how much they charge per level?  Are they an authorized seller?  Are you sure they are providing a legal version, not an illegal copy?  If buying off of the internet, be very careful.  Sometimes people end up with illegal copies and cannot gain access to the support material from Barton.  They also have a harder time selling the illegal copy.

I believe you can also gain access to purchasing the app if you buy used (with a legal copy) but as OhE said you really don't need that until Level 4 or so.  You won't have to buy previous app levels to have access to what you will need on the app level you are purchasing, which is one advantage of using the app.  With the physical tiles you need previous level tiles to use the system.   Only the new tiles are included with each level.