Menu

SAT test for a 5th grader

Hi all

I need some advice. I have been on so many different websites for CTY, Davidson's Institute, John Hopkins, Duke etc. They all seem to only look at SAT grades for entrance into their programs in 7th grade. Am I missing something here? WHen I decided to research what requirement for my son in 5th grade to make the cut for these gifted programs, that was the first time I thought that there was a difference for each grade. Seeing that he is only going into 6th gradein 2017-18, should I wait until he is finishing 7th grade ie. in two years. Any suggestions? Hoping some of you have done this route before.

Best

Mandy

I know you said that you were heading up the CTY in your previous company. I have been on so many different websites for CTY, Davidson's Institute, John Hopkins, Duke etc. They all seem to only look at SAT in 7th grade. Am I missing something here? WHen you asked me what requirement for what grade, that was the first time I thought that there was a difference for each grade. Seeing that he is only going into 6th grade, maybe I should wait until he is finishing 7th grade ie. in two years. Any suggestions?

Or the PSAT 8/9. I mean, I think they'll accept the SAT if the kid scores high enough, but it wouldn't be the normal test to take, and I don't think they've got a different cut-off for the SAT taken in 5th grade vs in 7th grade.

DS12 took the ACT at fall of 6th grade and SAT at end of 6th grade.

DS11 took ACT at the end of 5th grade and SAT in fall of 6th grade.

We just do mail in registration by asking ACT and College Board to mail us the relevant mail registration forms. CTY JHU and Northwestern CTD happily took their scores but Duke TIP would only accept their scores when DS12 was officially in 7th grade.

Or the PSAT 8/9. I mean, I think they'll accept the SAT if the kid scores high enough, but it wouldn't be the normal test to take, and I don't think they've got a different cut-off for the SAT taken in 5th grade vs in 7th grade.

Northwestern CTD has a cutoff for 6th grade. CTY JHU and Duke TIP use the 7th grade cutoff.

• Like 1

Hi all

I need some advice. I have been on so many different websites for CTY, Davidson's Institute, John Hopkins, Duke etc. They all seem to only look at SAT grades for entrance into their programs in 7th grade. Am I missing something here? WHen I decided to research what requirement for my son in 5th grade to make the cut for these gifted programs, that was the first time I thought that there was a difference for each grade. Seeing that he is only going into 6th gradein 2017-18, should I wait until he is finishing 7th grade ie. in two years. Any suggestions? Hoping some of you have done this route before.

Best

Mandy

I know you said that you were heading up the CTY in your previous company. I have been on so many different websites for CTY, Davidson's Institute, John Hopkins, Duke etc. They all seem to only look at SAT in 7th grade. Am I missing something here? WHen you asked me what requirement for what grade, that was the first time I thought that there was a difference for each grade. Seeing that he is only going into 6th grade, maybe I should wait until he is finishing 7th grade ie. in two years. Any suggestions?

If you would like your child to participate in a CTY class before 7th grade, he can take the SCAT at a local Sylvan Center (there may be other testing locations as well, but I am not aware of them).  Once a child hits 7th grade, he ages out of "Baby CTY" and must retest using the ACT or SAT/PSAT and achieve qualifying scores again to participate in the middle school and high school classes.

• Like 1

So for all those to be accepted, do they need to get over 440 for math and english?

Both my kids score >600 for SAT math and English and qualified for CTY intensive studies. They also qualified for CTY intensive studies based on their ACT scores. So they actually didn't need to take the SAT but we were curious about how our kids would do for SAT compared to ACT.

Your child can also qualify based on math score only for math and science courses, or English score only for humanities and writing courses. Once your child qualify through SAT or ACT, they qualify until end of high school.

• Like 2

Do they have a minimum limit for 5th graders? Or is it just a generic over 440 for each math and english if you are under 7th grade. Sorry if I am not being clear.

They don't have an adjusted limit for 5th graders. So they go by the 7th grade cutoff. We didn't apply for the CTY residential summer camps though so I don't know if there is any age requirements. Age wasn't an issue with their online classes.

FWIW, I registered my DD directly at age 10 for the SAT. CTY accepted her scores for both 2-6 and 7-12 since she exceeded the 7th grade cutoffs. NUMATS said to just let them know what she wanted to do and send the scores then-there was no reason to officially apply for Talent search unless she wanted to go to the awards ceremony. TIPS didn't want to see the scores until 7th grade. She was already on Belin-Blank's list due to the EXPLORE, so they also just added her ACT when she took that a few months later (ACT is more accepted here than SAT).

So far, the only places we've used her scores are to apply to Davidson Academy and to the local college and state U, but she gets a lot of flyers for summer programs :).

If you are applying the JHU CTY's programs, you meet the cutoff. It's greater than or equal to 440 for each section.

• Students in grades 5 and 6 who earn scores on the PSAT 8/9 that are greater than or equal to the SAT score requirement for 7th graders remain eligible for online programs until they complete high school.

My 6th  has been with CTY since 2nd grade. If your child is still in 5th--rush and take 5th grade SCAT (must be done before end of school year).  If he qualifies, he will be good until end of 6th grade.  Then in 6th grade, take the Advanced SCAT.  If he qualifies with Adv. SCAT as a 6th grader, he will be good through end of H.S. (or age out).  If you wait until 7th, then you will need SAT/ACT.   There is a PSAT8/9 option, but that will only work for the on-line classes, and not the summer program.  My 6th grader qualified for all things CTY through H.S. with the Advanced SCAT.  7th grade we will start the SAT/ACT journey.  Tip for the SCAT verbal portion, Steck-Vaughn, Unlocking Analogies (Middle School), is a great training tool, and then follow with Mindware, Analogy Challenge (Middle School)  for SCAT  test like materials.   

ETA: when working with the Mindware book, he did it with an open dictionary.  Wanted him to focus on analogies skills, and maybe pick up some vocabulary along the way.  The vocab can be challenging. 

Edited by gstharr
  • Like 1

Well ladies, I have to thank you all in advance for your advice. I went to register my child today and they wouldn't let me register him because he is not 13 yrs of age yet. Looks like all my problems are solved. No SAT this year....no wonder they ask for the PSAT for 8/9. Looks like we have bought ourselves two years. I really am only doing the SAT to get him into the gifted and talented programs. WE simply can't afford their camps and I have heard mixed reviews about their online courses. He does University online courses that actually gets him credit. So I am still not sold on the SATs. Anyone else gone the online route for college?

I went to register my child today and they wouldn't let me register him because he is not 13 yrs of age yet

For under 13, you need to do SAT registration by mail. That was what we did and it was an easy process.

"You need to register for the SAT by mail (also known as paper registration) if you are:

Requesting testing closer to home.

Requesting Sunday testing for the first time.

Paying by check or money order (payable to "The College Board").

Younger than 13 years old.

Unable to upload a digital photo as part of the online registration process.

Registering through an SAT international representative."

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/by-mail

• Like 3

DYS for contacts with other kids and families, Belin-Blank for useful information (but they only do the ACT). CTY/SET for the really good magazine, the local colleges for actually taking classes.

Plus a few nice certificates and awards.