Menu

Eliana - British Lit?

I've been putting together our high school literature studies this year so that I can get a head start on reading through the textbooks. I've put together a list of literature books that I want my boys to read before they leave our homeschool (which we generally discuss at dinnertime), but for our formal literature studies, I've decided to use the same textbooks as Scholars Online. The British lit textbook that they use is England in Literature (Macbeth edition)--ISBN 0-673-29384-X. I found their literature books used on Amazon.com, and I even found the corresponding teacher's edition.

I've been reading through the World Literature textbook first (British lit is next), but what I like about the British & US lit textbooks published by Scott Foresman is the chronological approach to literature. The chapters begin with a timeline and historical background section followed by information on the author for each selection. Each selection (not chapter) has reader's notes; think & discuss questions on understanding, analyzing, and extending; Applying literary terms; composition assignments; and enrichment exercises. Each textbook includes a Handbook of Literary Terms and a Writer's Handbook in the back.

Literature is not my strength, so I feel more comfortable with a textbook, and I've been very impressed with the textbooks I found at Scholar's Online.

HTH!

• 2 months later...

Karen,

I've used-- Prentice Hall and Norton. I found my 3 PH texts for little or nothing from a homeschool used book sale. I have their World Lit, American Lit and British Lit. The study questions and writing assignments in these texts are excellent for high school.

Now if you want the "big guns"---

I received 20% off the B&N reg retail price at our local store for a 6-vol set of Norton World Lit. Very cool set. For study material I had to snail-mail a written request to Norton for the 2-vol te set that went with it. Wonderful, wonderful questions, esp the essay variety.