What's with the ads?

#1 alilac

alilac

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2865 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

I have the "Choreorganizer" from CB.com and I'm looking for ideas for rewards for kids doing chores. My dd is 8.

What they get is a "buck" for doing chores and other duties, but I need ideas for rewards that doesn't always involve buying a toy.

I have "picking out dinner" and tv time earning, because that's an issue with us, but I'm looking for other ideas. We live in the boonies, so going someplace isn't always optimal.

Can you give me some ideas?

Thanks.

#2 Ferdie

Ferdie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1889 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

Baking with Mom
Special craft
Trip to park
Family walk
Extra bedtime story
Extra 1/2 hour reading time at night
Sleep over
Go to high school ball game
Plan a family outing
Day off from chores
Camping in living room
Rent video
S'more night
Picnic outing or eat in front of TV
Make your own pizza night
New jigsaw puzzle
Choose breakfast
Extra computer time
Friend over for tea
Outing with Dad

#3 Tap

Tap

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12293 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

My dd9 loves fun socks. So last year I bought a couple of packs at Costco, polkadots/stripes etc, and then she would earn a sock or two. It was fun, but practical.

I think we may do the same this year with pjs. She loves pajamas, so I am thinking about cutting a similar pair out of paper (like a paper doll) and then cutting the paper pair into pieces. She can earn a leg or arm, button or pocket, until she earns the whole set, she can't have them!

You could do the same with a board game, letting them earn the men, the cards, the game board, etc.

I have done it with Legos when ds was little. Legos come in little baggies inside the boxes. So, he would earn the baggies!

#4 alilac

alilac

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2865 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:14 AM

Wow, Ferdie many ideas!

And Tap, Tap, Tap...great idea for the more pricey type things!

Thank you!

#5 nova mama

nova mama

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the great ideas. I was just about to post a question about rewards for a music practice incentive chart. I'm so glad I searched first!!:)

#6 Aggie

Aggie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2189 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:46 AM

Here are the rewards my dc get for doing their chores and lessons:

breakfast
lunch
dinner
snacks
a warm family home to which we all contribute
lessons
:001_smile:

If they want money, they can earn it by doing extra chores...those I usually do. Otherwise, there are no external rewards or money for chores and school work. :001_smile:

Oh, this sounds so mean and cold. It's not, really! I just can't imagine paying our dc for doing things they are supposed to do. Where would I draw the line? Pay them for brushing their teeth and showering? Sharpening a pencil?

Perhaps I get the title of "Meanest Mom in the South"!

#7 Cadam

Cadam

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11506 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:51 AM

I have sort of a grab box. Dd is seven. She has 100 spaces on a chore chart and when all 100 are filled with stickers she gets to choose something from the box. They are just little things I pick up at the grocery store or other places. Most of them I would have purchased for her at some point anyway but they make a good incentive.

An electric tooth brush, stickers, markers, water color paints, a little tablet, bubble gum or a small pack of candy, a dollar, sparkly shoe laces, hair stuff, chap stick....

What's with the ads?