Menu

Best Sherlock Holmes to start with?

A Study in Scarlet, followed by Sign of Four, introduce the characters/world of Sherlock Holmes, but, IMO, those are NOT the very best works of that "world". I think the short stories in the collection (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) that follows those two longer works has the most engaging stories, especially the stories of:

- "The Red-Headed League"

- "A Scandal in Bohemia"

- "The Blue Carbuncle"

- "The Speckled Band"

For more opinions and ideas, check out these past threads:

Sherlock Holmes short stories - a new question (which to start with)

Sherlock Holmes (stories) - which for a 6th grader to start with

What's your favorite Sherlock Holmes for pre/early-teens?

Which Sherlock Holmes story for 5th and 8th grades?

Sherlock Holmes for a 5th grader? (who just finished Hound of the Baskervilles; which next)

Sherlock Holmes - which titles to read first?

What are your favorite Sherlock Holmes short stories?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 7

We are using WTM's Writing with Skill. They use a passage from the story The Hounds of Baskervilles. My son became so interested in the story from the writing lesson that he checked the book out from the library. He really enjoyed it! Audible had a special on all the Sherlock Holmes stories. I was able to get them all for $4.95. However, my son said he enjoyed reading it as he said it gave him the chance to read over the story carefully. I also must say that particular story sounds fascinating. I had to check his work, and I too want to read that story now! 

• Like 1

We are using WTM's Writing with Skill. They use a passage from the story The Hounds of Baskervilles. My son became so interested in the story from the writing lesson that he checked the book out from the library. He really enjoyed it! Audible had a special on all the Sherlock Holmes stories. I was able to get them all for $4.95. However, my son said he enjoyed reading it as he said it gave him the chance to read over the story carefully. I also must say that particular story sounds fascinating. I had to check his work, and I too want to read that story now! 

Welcome to the board, Lizzytra!  I love your pic!   :thumbup1:

DD is reading The Hound of the Baskervilles this week.