Menu

Ack! My thermostat keeps setting itself at 90!

Yesterday we came home from a movie to find the house boiling hot. When I looked at the thermostat it was 79 and rising in the house. The thermostat showed that it was set for 90 degrees. I reset it manually for our normal 70. It held and then went down lower as usual for the night. This morning it reset itself again - at 90. No hands in this house are tampering with it. Do you think my thermostat needs looking at or the furnace? I dread calling the furnace company. I can just smell a big bill coming.

I think it is fixed (crossed fingers). Dh looked at the thermostat and discovered that the last time I replaced the batteries (not long ago) I put one of the batteries in upside down. I don't know why it worked fine for a while and then went wonky - maybe it made the two batteries that were put in right to have to work harder? But it set itself to its proper temperature this morning when it "woke up". Woo- hoo!