Menu

Portfolio necessary for DYS?

It is no longer required. It was required when we applied years ago. (ETA: as in work samples, not a portfolio kind of portfolio)

"ï¯ Evidence of Extreme Intellectual Abilities – Upload documents as PDF files. Supplemental video(s) must be uploaded as a WMV file compressed to 75 MB or less. Visit the FAQ and video help pages for additional information.

ï¯ Required: At least one IQ test, achievement test, or Talent Search/College Placement test from Option #1 or #2 as listed on the Qualification Criteria page. Please refer to that website for further details.

ï¯ Not Required - Supplemental information: Other evidence of extreme precocity, as determined by the applicant and family, may be uploaded into the Online Application system. This section is optional and will not override test scores that fall significantly below the Qualification Criteria. Please refer to that website for further details."

https://dnnlv5ifs.blob.core.windows.net/portals/2/PDFs/YS-APPLICATION-CHECKLIST-PROCEDURES.pdf?sr=b&si=DNNFileManagerPolicy&sig=iP8wn8FQcfBb4H%2BOHf6z8owL5HYc004xcDIYhKiwhfw%3D

Edited by Arcadia

The only people I have heard of who got rejected from DYS despite qualifying test scores were "twice exceptional" children who got rejected based on the program supposedly "not being a good fit for their needs". I wouldn't bother applying for my 2E child even if we were able to get a qualifying test score out of her.

The only people I have heard of who got rejected from DYS despite qualifying test scores were "twice exceptional" children who got rejected based on the program supposedly "not being a good fit for their needs". I wouldn't bother applying for my 2E child even if we were able to get a qualifying test score out of her.

Was that DYS or DA?  I don't believe DYS filters based on 2E.  We have a number of "quirky" DYS friends...

Maybe there was more to the story?  DYS has been very good for us and quite a few 2E kids...

Regardless, for the OP, no - the portfolio is not needed.  It was mainly used for borderline cases.  We submitted some samples of work, but that was about it.  Doubt it mattered at all, to be honest.

Like Arcadia said, not required anymore.

Back in 2011 (exactly 6 years ago actually), mine got in based on portfolio and Explore scores alone. I only heard about the low cost WISC test opportunity and tested via the uni clinical study that was running it about 2 weeks after I submitted the DYS application. I thought they would reject the kid and I could send the WISC score for further proof. But they accepted A without the scores. I don't think they do that anymore but what is interesting is they only changed it recently so they were obviously taking in clearly quirky kids even without scores for quite a few years.

Edited by quark

Mine also got in via portfolio and EXPLORE. She had really high EXPLORE scores, but the portfolio was a challenge because they wanted graded work in the child's handwriting, and for the most part, she tended to type everything, and I didn't mark papers. We did have some past testing from school Screening for early K. One of the few things in her own handwriting was a report studying and identifying a previously unknown specimen of snake-a stuffed purple snake with flowers on it from Toys R US. Definitely a quirky kid...

But that was, again, almost 5 years ago.

• Like 1

How much do the parent comments matter?    I felt like some of the questions weren't a good fit for my kid even though his scores meet the criteria.  Especially the one which asked about an example of your kid needing to investigate something in great detail.  My kid's more of an omnivore--he's just as happy sucking information in breadthwise as depthwise.

Edited by tiuzzol2

How much do the parent comments matter? I felt like some of the questions weren't a good fit for my kid even though his scores meet the criteria. Especially the one which asked about an example of your kid needing to investigate something in great detail. My kid's more of an omnivore--he's just as happy sucking information in breadthwise as depthwise.

I am not sure what their policy is now. Back then I wrote something like 8-10 pages to attach to the application. I admit to pouring all my frustrations with asynchrony there. 😊 It might have helped quite a bit because my kiddo did not write much then.

• Like 1

How much do the parent comments matter? I felt like some of the questions weren't a good fit for my kid even though his scores meet the criteria.

My parents comments were very short and blunt as I was bored and tired filling up for both kids at one go. My kids have different personalities and some similarities so I was just making sure I was answering correctly for the correct kid. I figured DYS would understand if my answers sounded like I have my kids mixed up.

My husband didn't dare to do the parent questionnaire as his English score is lower than mine (not that it matters) and he didn't want to risk answering wrongly.

• Like 1

My parents comments were very short and blunt as I was bored and tired filling up for both kids at one go. My kids have different personalities and some similarities so I was just making sure I was answering correctly for the correct kid. I figured DYS would understand if my answers sounded like I have my kids mixed up.

My husband didn't dare to do the parent questionnaire as his English score is lower than mine (not that it matters) and he didn't want to risk answering wrongly.

LOL!  I have a feeling some of my husband's answers will contradict  mine. :)