What's with the ads?

#101 Storygirl

Storygirl

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2681 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:11 PM

:grouphug:  It can take some time to sink in. I remember feeling kind of stunned after DS's evaluation report. We were told that it is helpful to have ADHD meds in the system for testing, too. I'm surprised she couldn't run the CTOPP; it's good you have somewhere else to go for that, because it should give you helpful information.

#102 Storygirl

Storygirl

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2681 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

Ballet can be great for kids with ADHD, or it can be frustrating. It really depends upon the teacher, so it would be good to talk to the studio to see how they address attention issues. Real ballet training does not start until age 8 -- before that it is pre-ballet, or creative movement. So she could wait a few years and not be behind. Or she could start in pre-ballet classes and (hopefully) be in a fun class that does not yet require the students to be so perfect.

I don't mean perfectly behaved, but having perfect control over what their body is doing. Ballet really is a mental exercise as much as a physical one, so it can be great training for developing attention.

It also relies very heavily on working memory, because dancers have to remember the combination of movements, as well as how to execute them. Often kids with ADHD also have lower working memory. DD11 (dyslexic and ADHD) took dance for quite a few years, and she had some trouble remembering what to do. I also think she had some difficulty with knowing left and right at that age.

Dance studios follow the school year schedule, so they will be starting classes in September, usually. You may be able to find a summer ballet camp at a studio for her to go to, to see if she might like it as much as she thinks. That can also give you a sense about whether the studio will be willing to work with her.

#103 Southern Ivy

Southern Ivy

Mother to the Lorax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2643 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:42 AM

Ballet can be great for kids with ADHD, or it can be frustrating. It really depends upon the teacher, so it would be good to talk to the studio to see how they address attention issues. Real ballet training does not start until age 8 -- before that it is pre-ballet, or creative movement. So she could wait a few years and not be behind. Or she could start in pre-ballet classes and (hopefully) be in a fun class that does not yet require the students to be so perfect.

I don't mean perfectly behaved, but having perfect control over what their body is doing. Ballet really is a mental exercise as much as a physical one, so it can be great training for developing attention.

It also relies very heavily on working memory, because dancers have to remember the combination of movements, as well as how to execute them. Often kids with ADHD also have lower working memory. DD11 (dyslexic and ADHD) took dance for quite a few years, and she had some trouble remembering what to do. I also think she had some difficulty with knowing left and right at that age.

Dance studios follow the school year schedule, so they will be starting classes in September, usually. You may be able to find a summer ballet camp at a studio for her to go to, to see if she might like it as much as she thinks. That can also give you a sense about whether the studio will be willing to work with her.

Thank you! This is good information to pass along to DH. He's very facts oriented. So, this will help him feel like it's not just "mom wants her in this to look cute." 

• Storygirl likes this

#104 Southern Ivy

Southern Ivy

Mother to the Lorax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2643 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

Appointment with the doctor on Wednesday and my boss said I could go ahead and cut back to 20 hours next week. Woohoo! 

• Canadian Mom of 2 and Storygirl like this

#105 OhElizabeth

OhElizabeth

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28846 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

My ds does swim AND gymnastics. Do both would be my advice. :)

The gymnastics might scratch her itch instead of the ballet. Try it, try both. Around here summer swim lessons can be day or evening and gymnastics is evening. It works to do both.

Swim lessons are short, where gymnastics will quickly move to longer 1-3 hours). Gymnastics will be more intense sensory input and develop higher self regulation. They'll set up stations and have them work and rotate and stay on task. You'll LOVE what gymnastics will do for her. I've kept my ds in year round swim lessons three years now, so I'm in favor of swim, sure. Just saying you're really going to like what gymnastics could do for her.

Edited by OhElizabeth, 25 May 2017 - 09:55 AM.

• Southern Ivy likes this

#106 Canadian Mom of 2

Canadian Mom of 2

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5053 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

Southern Ivy, as someone who always got signed up for what my father chose for me, never what I wanted, and as someone who lived and breathed ballet practically from the moment I was born but was never given the opportunity, I just want to say, whatever you do, at least give your daughter the opportunity to explore what she has chosen.

I wish you and your girl all the best,

Marie
  • Southern Ivy and Storygirl like this

#107 Southern Ivy

Southern Ivy

Mother to the Lorax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2643 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:13 PM

My ds does swim AND gymnastics. Do both would be my advice. :)

The gymnastics might scratch her itch instead of the ballet. Try it, try both. Around here summer swim lessons can be day or evening and gymnastics is evening. It works to do both.

Swim lessons are short, where gymnastics will quickly move to longer 1-3 hours). Gymnastics will be more intense sensory input and develop higher self regulation. They'll set up stations and have them work and rotate and stay on task. You'll LOVE what gymnastics will do for her. I've kept my ds in year round swim lessons three years now, so I'm in favor of swim, sure. Just saying you're really going to like what gymnastics could do for her.

Sounds great!! We are definitely going to explore our options. John is so facts based that he's all "Swim can save her life. Ballet can't." lol And, I definitely agree that she needs to know how to swim. So, she's for sure doing that at the Y this summer. As for the rest, I think I've convinced him how important it is for her to be in something that gets her energy out AND that she's good at. He's coming around slowly but surely.  ;)

Southern Ivy, as someone who always got signed up for what my father chose for me, never what I wanted, and as someone who lived and breathed ballet practically from the moment I was born but was never given the opportunity, I just want to say, whatever you do, at least give your daughter the opportunity to explore what she has chosen.

I wish you and your girl all the best,

Marie

Awww, thank you. Yes, I am most definitely advocating for her to be able to choose. She may get in and hate it, but I definitely want her to be able to choose. I mentioned above that John is very facts based ("Swim can save her life"), so the rest seems frivolous. But, living in a small town with little to no homeschooling community, she needs something. He'll come around eventually. 

• Canadian Mom of 2 likes this

#108 Canadian Mom of 2

Canadian Mom of 2

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5053 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

I do agree on the swimming with your husband too (as being an important life skill), which is why I handle the swimming lessons, myself. I'm self taught and have taught my younger sister, other relatives, and the children of family friends... since I was 12 years old (my younger sister was 5). Both my husband and I are excellent swimmers and I use to snorkel for hours as a kid. I was considered a fish in the water by everyone that knew me. I grew up in a European country and spent the summers by the sea. My parents drew the line when I wanted to go deep sea diving with an older cousin. Anyway...

My kids have not shown any desire to get into competitive swimming. My 8 yr old wants to swim with dolphins :) Things like that I try to make real for my boys. I give them opportunities to experience things first. If I see an interest to take something further, that is what I am prepared to spend money on.

That's my mentality. Shaped by my life experience ;)

Edited by Canadian Mom of 2, 25 May 2017 - 06:12 PM.

#109 Canadian Mom of 2

Canadian Mom of 2

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5053 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

Southern Ivy, in case it wasn't obvious, what I was trying to say is that anyone can teach your girl how to swim. If dad is a good swimmer and can work with your girl, he can teach her himself. If she will not be using swimming competitively, I honestly don't see the need for paid lessons. She is also quite young. I taught myself to swim around my 8th birthday. And my father did show me a few things when I asked him for example to show me how to dive properly, etc. Not everyone can teach your girl ballet though ;) That's my way of thinking anyway!

#110 Southern Ivy

Southern Ivy

Mother to the Lorax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2643 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

Southern Ivy, in case it wasn't obvious, what I was trying to say is that anyone can teach your girl how to swim. If dad is a good swimmer and can work with your girl, he can teach her himself. If she will not be using swimming competitively, I honestly don't see the need for paid lessons. She is also quite young. I taught myself to swim around my 8th birthday. And my father did show me a few things when I asked him for example to show me how to dive properly, etc. Not everyone can teach your girl ballet though ;) That's my way of thinking anyway!

She has actually asked to take swim lessons (some of her friends take them) and the Y here has really good instructors, plus it's not too expensive. DH and I can swim, but I don't know how I feel about either of us teaching her. ha
Ballet at the Y isn't expensive either and while I don't see that being the best source of lessons, it's hopefully going to give us an idea if it's something she will like.
DH has agreed to both now, so I think we'll do swim this summer to get the basics down, then move on to ballet. 

• Canadian Mom of 2 likes this

#111 Canadian Mom of 2

Canadian Mom of 2

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5053 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

Ballet at the Y isn't expensive either and while I don't see that being the best source of lessons, it's hopefully going to give us an idea if it's something she will like.

It's a good starting point :)

Hope both the swimming and ballet go well for your girl :)

I have always been pretty good at motivating while being very cautious, since I was young. This was why the people that trusted me with their kids, did. I'm an older mom. In my day, we taught each other things. There was no pay involved. I just couldn't handle seeing a little kid watching me doing back flips and swim long distances under water and hope they could swim like that. A voice inside always pulled me to ask, "Do you want to learn how to do that?" It has always been my thing :)

My 13 yr old did take some lessons when he was younger. The young lady could not motivate him to get past certain things. My husband can't either ;) It is why I handle certain things myself. I know how to challenge and motivate my two :)