Menu

A good end to the sophomore year

G5052

DS has only two finals, lucky duck. 

The physics professor has a policy that if you have an "A" going into the final, you don't have to take it. He does, so he's done.

In statistics, he figured that he could skip the in-person part of the final. He did the take-home part, and got a high "A" on it. So emailed the professor to see if he could skip the in-class part, and she said that she "could" require that he come in to bump up the class average, but she's fine if he doesn't. So he isn't.

Tomorrow he takes his World Lit I final.

On Wednesday he takes his Eco final.

His business communication final is a sales presentation, but he already gave his last week. He does have to go in on Thursday to rate the other students who haven't yet presented, but he just has to show up and fill out score sheets.

Then Friday he has to take the state exit exam for 2-year colleges.

Next week we have to go to a special awards ceremony for graduates. DS was chosen as the outstanding business graduate by the faculty.

And then he graduates that Saturday.

Next we need to set up an advising appointment at the 4-year to get him registered. I wish that I could send him alone, but I keep hearing horror stories about that school. We don't have the $$$ to have him make mistakes in registering, so he'll work up a schedule and I'll tag along. I hate to do that, but he's fine with it. 
  • Like 15

DS has only two finals, lucky duck. 

The physics professor has a policy that if you have an "A" going into the final, you don't have to take it. He does, so he's done.

That is a beautiful policy. My freshman dd would be incredibly jealous if she knew that was a Real Thing That Happens to Other People (as she's studying wildly for 5 finals right now, lol!!)

That is a beautiful policy. My freshman dd would be incredibly jealous if she knew that was a Real Thing That Happens to Other People (as she's studying wildly for 5 finals right now, lol!!)

Yes, at the community college I work for now (a different one), they actually have a policy against that. With classroom classes, it's hard to say. In the online program they're very strict about how grades are handled though because we're given a standardized course shell and sign a contract limited our modifications. Both of my classes say that you must take the final, and one actually says that you will fail the class if you don't.

The private school I also teach for requires semester finals, and they have to take them.

So I've warned DS that he may not encounter that at the 4-year, so enjoy! 

Wow! That is a very cool ending for sophomore year! That was a real low point for all of mine. I think getting to skip a physics final and have a graduation would have significantly improved it. : ) Having that half way degree would have been nice, just in case, too. I think you are wise to be on hand to doublecheck the registration. It has indeed been a nightmare for our kids, one in which two heads were often helpful. Mistakes can cost you a whole year of college expenses or even your degree. It is very adult of your son to accept help with this gracefully. : )

Congratulations!

Nan

Agreed! Dd has straight A's going into finals and is killing herself in fear that she'll mess one up. 

Ds had only one final, that was today and he is finished! His other classes had final projects or presentations that were turned in last week.