Menu

what does this sound like to you?

otherwise sweet kid.  can make me feel like a failure far too often. despite how my older kids have turned out.

I've joked since he was three, that his GUI wouldn't talk to his hard-drive.  dh said it's more like his GUI won't talk to his processor.  

he has been formally diagnosed by a slp with capd where the corpus callosum, which facilitates communication between the hemispheres of the brain, is lagging.   but, . . . there's more.

Now, he  won't do school work. he'd rather fail. this weekend, he was gluing paper to a project board, and says he can't focus.  (I don't think he was being dramatic with that.  he does have a penchant for drama, and working himself into hysterics).

I get very contradictory feedback from him.  sometimes, it sounds like would like to be a good student - but he can't think straight and it has now killed his motivation.  so, he'd rather fail and not be disappointed.

He does deal with anxiety - and that is being treated.

he'd be happy to do nothing but play computer games all day.  he plays online with kids he knows irl.  he does have time limits on the computer - and I am cracking down even further. 

doing anything he doesn't want to do he claims is torture.  I torture him becasue I expect him to get dressed and clean his room and take a shower.  if it had started recently, I'd think it was he's a tween.  but it has almost always been this way.  even my previously most difficult child - has told him one day he'll appreciate what I am doing for him.  he swears he won't. 

I have tried doing martial arts, horseback riding, swimming, piano, bike riding... . none of them will he cooperate.  the horseback riding was one-on-one with a teacher - or very small class. the piano was with the most qualified to be able to help  him.  he enjoys them, but refuses to do it as an activity.  I tried to do cubs with him - it was worse than pulling teeth, and he refused to participate even if I got him there.  I left him for weeks in hopes if I wasn't there, he would get involved.  there are many things I can't do with him, because he refuses.  I used to have to limit how much he could go to his sister's house (which she only bought three years ago) because he would hide so he didn't have to come home.  then throw a tantrum and scream the whole way home.

some things I've been able to get him to do by demands and letting him know the expectations in absolutes.  other things . . . even that doesn't work.

he greatly struggled to learn to read, but is finally reading. not sure what his comprehension is like.  spelling is improving.  this is one thing the computer helped with - he had to be able to read and write to do the game he wanted to play.

he doesn't really have "meltdowns" anymore, - though he can get angry, I feel like most of them are more like a normal child's reaction.  he can usually calm himself by going to his room and screaming for five minutes.  if that.  (he's not allowed to scream in the same room as me. -unless it's legit.  drama not allowed.)

he does spin (slowly) and I have a rebounder he jumps on if he's feeling hyper.  maybe once a day - to a few times a week.  certainly not an inordinate amount.

as an infant - I had to take him to a pitch black silent room to get him to sleep/calm.  I also had to watch what his stimulation level was - and take him away at that fine line of stimulated by not over stimulated.  still do - but that line is getting wider.   he's more trustworthy in public than he used to be - unless we're at a swimming pool.  splashing.

many of these are ongoing - and I have to remind myself of what we no longer deal with.

I do have a referral for a ped neuro, not sure when we'll get in.

does any of this sound familiar to anyone?  and were you able to help your child?

Working memory issues can cause some of the issues mentioned. If he likes the computer, maybe try Jungle Memory. But if you'll be getting neuropsych testing, I would NOT do JM prior to seeing the NP because you don't want him to improve just enough so that he goes from outside the normal range to borderline-low.

• Like 1