Menu

Anatomy

DS loves anatomy. I want to pull together something for him for next year so he can learn more in depth. I recently signed up for the free trial of Uzinggo, which he loves so far. 

Does anyone here have a kid that is interested in studying anatomy for science? Any book/video/resource suggestions? Interestingly, I avoided all biology/anatomy classes through high school and college because I am incredibly squeamish and not at all interested, so I don't have any experience to draw from to help him.

He's advanced for his age, so reading comprehension isn't an issue. He's done Mr. Q's Life Science, read all of the Magic School Bus books on the subject, has done all of the units in Mystery Science that are available and we have a few "pull apart people" as I call them - like this. Also, he has watched the old Bill Nye and Magic School bus shows. He's ready and wants more in-depth studies now. 

Appreciate any advice!

You can get digital dissections which are good. My DD also really likes the 4D anatomy model puzzles. She has upper division college anatomy and physiology textbooks-these tend to be inexpensive a version or two back and have awesome pictures. Some have multiple layer overlays. The anatomy and Physiology and human anatomy coloring books are excellent. There are also really good paper models-you can get a bundle on Teachers Pay Teachers.

In DD's case, she doesn't want to kill animals needlessly, so she avoids dissection. Her bio mentors say that this is OK for now, and that there is little reason for a high school or below student to ever dissect.

• Like 1

We haven't done this (yet), but Duke TIP has a Discovering Science & Medicine course - it's for gifted 5th-7th graders though, so maybe not quite for your kid yet, but on the list of required materials they do list Anatomy Flash cards, so maybe something for the future?

https://tip.duke.edu/programs/independent-learning/available-courses/discovering-science-and-medicine-5-7

Likewise, Northwestern CTD has an online course in Anatomy & Physiology, but that's for gifted 6th-8th graders, so that's certainly still a while off. 

Aside from Dover Human Anatomy coloring books, there are other anatomy coloring books - zoology, human brain, etc (they're not from Dover, and they're aimed at grown-ups - they get quite advanced). 

Our local science museum does dissections, both basic and more advanced ones, for ages 8+... you might want to see if you have something like that near you. Of course, their dissections aren't human - they do squid, perch, sheep heart, etc (I don't recall the entire list, since my oldest doesn't want to do it, and my youngest is too young... their 8+ guideline is firm because of the sharp scalpels).

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas!! 

Luuknam, that Duke website is great - I hadn't seen it before. James will be in 4th next year, so definitely something to look towards the following year. And some of the ones for the 4th-6th grade set look interesting too. I think he'd love the Word Power one. 

Dmmelter - any favorite publishers for books? He would love a textbook to read and reference. 

Lucy - I'll check out the Ellen McHenry, thank you!

This is what we have for vertebrate anatomy

https://www.amazon.com/Vertebrates-Comparative-Anatomy-Function-Evolution/dp/0073040584/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493652567&sr=8-2&keywords=vertebrate+anatomy

The cover is different, but I think we have this one as well

https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Invertebrate-Anatomy-Laboratory-Guide/dp/0195040775/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1493652667&sr=8-9&keywords=Invertebrate+anatomy+and+physiology

This is the coloring book series. They are quite complex. My DD recommends twistables because they always have a pretty fine point. https://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Coloring-Book-Wynn-Kapit/dp/0321832019/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=

If you go to any college bookstore at a school with a nursing program, they will have tons of sets of flash cards and other resources for A&P.

These are the models. Some may be a bit tough for an 8 yr old (the snail took my engineer husband to figure out how everything fit into the shell...) https://www.amazon.com/4D-Vision-Cleared-Human-Anatomy/dp/B00NP7K4WY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1493652947&sr=8-6&keywords=4d+game+master. We don't consider these toys, and I don't recommend repeatedly taking them apart and reassembling them (I am not surprised the person who bought it for a 5 yr old didn't like it much!).

• Like 1

Crash Course Anatomy and Physiology (on YouTube) is really good. Quite in-depth. I think it's probably aimed at high schoolers? Each body system is separated out into several videos. My 8 yo loves it. It does include a the entire reproductive system, so my two kids are rather well-informed for their age.

• Like 1