Menu

Well Trained Bodies - May 2017

Granny_Weatherwax

For pain in the sacrum area, I've gotten relief by just lying on my back, gently pulling my knees toward my chest, and sort of slowly rocking around. (Does that make sense?) But if your pain is more in the lumbar area then I'm not sure that would work.

Yes, we do this in yoga to release the lower back. Also, look up "happy baby" pose.

• Like 2

Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises to relax the lower back?

I rode several hours in a truck in which the seat was concave, not convex, and my lower back tightened up. That was a couple weeks ago. It's mostly okay, but now it will "go there" really easily, like this morning, after I had been sitting on a hard chair for about 1/2 hour.

I don't think there is any injury, just very easily triggered into "protective tightened" mode. When I do push-ups , planks, or squats, it can kind of kick up then.

I've done the camel/cat stretches and that definitely helps. I wonder if there are more I could add to it.

Can you get a professional massage?

Ice (and/or perhaps some heat now that it's been a week) and muscle relaxants can be good to reduce the pain, and supplement with light stretching (the yoga ones other have mentioned are great). I wouldn't do too much heavy exercise until the pain is relieved, to be honest. There are a ton of nerves and muscles in that area that probably need some time to rest and recover before you start back on exercising. 

Last training finished Sunday, woot!

Taught 2 classes yesterday.

Little walks every day. 

5 more classes to teach this week. 

I am now at 10 lbs less than my highest weight with my last thyroid crash.

I'm 2 lbs away from my original goal.

5 lbs away from the top of my usual range.

10 lbs away from my usual weight.

I've been noticing that clothes that had gotten tight aren't anymore. 2 shirts that I was wearing this winter now look a bit baggy on me. When I lose a few more pounds then I'm going to see if my old pants are comfy again. I had to get new jeans this winter as my old ones were just too damn tight

Since I had this last baby I've made it to *my* "normal" weight twice but I cannot seem to maintain it. I vacillate between hope that my body will line out eventually and resignation that this may be the new normal. At this moment I'm feeling positive, my mood, energy, and sleep have been steady. 

It is interesting to watch how my appetite changes with my thyroid status. Super low I go back and forth between forcing myself to eat as I don't even have the energy for it and insatiable hunger for massive tons of carbs trying to get a bit of energy. Too high and I either don't want to eat because I'm buzzing OR my appetite is HUGE. Too low I gain weight, too high I can maintain but not lose. Right now I'm right in the middle. I've been saying since this baby I haven't been able to tolerate lower carb at all, it screws up my sleep, no energy etc. Well, right now it's working for me again, and working well. Sleep is good even. I'm not super LC, I eat potatoes and fruit as much as I want but for a good while that just wouldn't cut it. I'm also *trying* very hard not to push myself too hard. Resting here and there, downtime, naps, lowering stress whenever possible.  All of this makes me optimistic that maybe, just maybe I've finally found the right combo of meds and my hormones are back to normal, maybe, just maybe I can stay stable instead of this horrible roller coaster of feeling really good, horrible crashing, and then going too high. The big test will be when fall comes, for some reason I tend to crash and put on weight on the fall, I'm beginning to think I have an issue with mold that is causing part of the problem. Normal is underrated.

• Like 2

I got in a really nice bike ride yesterday afternoon. Today is the first match of the outdoor season in my competitive tennis league; still the recreation level - I'm NOT a pro.  :laugh:  I'm slotted to play ladies doubles with my long-time partner. It should be fun!

• Like 3

Could you check the link? When I click on it, I get a Geico commercial and then nothing else.

I checked it using my kindle, and there's no commercial and it plays. Perhaps either try another web browser, or go to youtube and search "Eckhart Yoga lower back pain."

• Like 1

Ice (and/or perhaps some heat now that it's been a week) and muscle relaxants can be good to reduce the pain, and supplement with light stretching (the yoga ones other have mentioned are great). I wouldn't do too much heavy exercise until the pain is relieved, to be honest. There are a ton of nerves and muscles in that area that probably need some time to rest and recover before you start back on exercising. 

This isn't painful--just tight and stiff. And it's intermittent, triggered by sitting. It's relieved by movement. I just want it to have some targeted exercises. Maybe icing would help relax it though when it's stiff. 

Can you get a professional massage?

There is an excellent masseuse at my gym, but it's kind of pricey. I wonder if a massage when it's not tight (most of the time) would help. I might ask her about that. Thanks for the suggestion. 

• Like 1

Monday, I walked at a modest speed with a friend while catching up. 90 min. I only did push-ups and a rotator cuff exercise as upper body.

Tuesday, it was raining out and I put off indoor exercise till 9 pm. I did do about 30 min of online Zumba interspersed with deadlifts and topped off with clamshells for lower body. I still like the integration. 

Today is Zumba. Need to do my upper body before then.  

• Like 2

The good news is that I've hit my goals in terms of weight loss. The bad news is that I'm not really sure how! I've been eating out due to birthdays, drank beer, and had too many desserts. I've also had to cutback on a workout here and there due to schedule problems. I'm wondering if I lost muscle mass. I hope not! Could it be that I wasn't eating enough before?

• Like 3

Whole 30 is done!   :hurray:   

Today begins reintroduction.  I'm skipping reintroducing alcohol, because I already know that it triggers a worse-than-average migraine for me, so no need to repeat that!  I had a Whole 30 breakfast, but I'll have some beans with lunch and dinner and see how that goes.  

My main hope with Whole 30 was to reduce migraine frequency, and unfortunately it did not help in that way at all.  That's a real bummer.  I was really hoping that a previously undiscovered food intolerance was playing a significant role in the migraines, but I guess it really is just perimenopause hormonal stuff that I can't control.   :(

My second goal was to get rid of the belly bloat, and it worked brilliantly for that.  I still have more fat on my belly than I'd like, of course (it would need more than 30 days to get rid of that!), but I'm talking about the painful, heavy bloated feeling that was becoming a daily occurrence before.  It disappeared from day 1 and hasn't returned.  

I was also hoping to lose two or maybe three pounds.  That seemed like a reasonable goal.  I lost four.  I'm hoping it was all fat, and not muscle!  I haven't been lifting weights quite as regularly as I had been before, so I hope I didn't lose muscle.  I think at least some of it was fat, because my clothes do seem to fit a bit more comfortably, and my waist measured a quarter inch less.  Not a huge difference, but I'll take it!

So overall I'm definitely considering it a success!  Probably the single best thing about it was that I REALLY boosted the amount of veggies that I eat.  I don't want to give that part up - I really enjoyed it!  And even though my husband and daughter didn't do W30 with me, they ate more veggies too simply because I was preparing more.  I didn't feel as deprived as I thought I would, and I think that's because I tried new fruits and veggies that I'd never had before, and that made it fun.

I thought about turning it into a Whole 60, but instead, I think I'm just going to take the reintroduction phase a little slower than it says, and see how things go.

I'd love to hear how it went for the others who did it!  Since you guys had done it before, are you still going to do the gradual reintroduction?  Or will you just go back to eating the foods you know you can handle?

• Like 4

Great progress, Soror. Fall is a tough time for lots of people due to the decreasing light. It's not surprising that your appetite would change.

Solascriptura, well, yay for meeting the goal! Maybe you were more satisified with your food choices, so eating smaller amounts of the higher calorie foods? Whatever happened, I'm glad it was in the good direction for you :-)

Congrats on completing the Whole 30 plan, Greta! Bummer about the headaches, but glad you got some other benefits.

Nothing to report here. Eating is okay, doing the calorie count thing. Continuing the combo of 21 Day Fix Extreme workouts (a half hour doesn't seem "extreme", but whatever, lol) and P90X stretch, plus the daily walk with the dog for 60-90 minutes. Hoping to be consistent through next week when I leave on my trip for 10 days.

• Like 5

The good news is that I've hit my goals in terms of weight loss. The bad news is that I'm not really sure how! I've been eating out due to birthdays, drank beer, and had too many desserts. I've also had to cutback on a workout here and there due to schedule problems. I'm wondering if I lost muscle mass. I hope not! Could it be that I wasn't eating enough before?

Congratulations! Yes, my first thought when I don't work-out and yet lose weight is muscle loss. Muscle mass is lost quickly, there's no way of telling unless you want to use some high-end technology and specialized equipment. Just enjoy the moment!  :hurray:

• Like 3

Thinking forward to some beach vacations coming up this summer: I won't be able to do weight lifting but want to keep up strength training. I thought it would be fun to figure out a strength training routine that could be done in the sand or water on the beach.. Would you guys like to help me think of exercises? One requirement is that they would not look obscene! (So I don't want to be sticking my butt out, doing clamshells, fire hydrants, etc!) 

Here are some exercises I can think of to include: 

Planks, bird dogs

Push-ups

Lunges of various kinds: walking, forward, reverse

What can I do for hamstrings/glutes? I think a bridge would look too obscene, but what do you think about a one-legged bridge? 

Can you think of any way to do a pull type of exercise? 

Besides just walking through the water, are there any lower body things I could do in the water? 

What about stretches that wouldn't look obscene? Child's pose, various shoulder ones. Would a figure 4 stretch look decent while lying down or should I try to stand up and do it? 

All ideas appreciated! 

• Like 2

Besides just walking through the water, are there any lower body things I could do in the water? 

Well I'm a swimmer, so when I'm at the beach I spend my time swimming and then resting. I body surf or use a boogie board. This is all plenty of exercise. Maybe some walking and running along the beach, or in and out of the water playing with the kids. 

Sounds like you might not be a swimmer, though. Walking through water with surf IS a work-out. You can run in the water, as there is a ton of resistance. Jumping up and down is good, too. You can play catch with your kids, or chase or whatever, both in the water and on the beach. Running and walking in sand is also a great work-out.

I've been slacking on strength stuff again this week ugh. I thought I was back in the groove, I guess not. Too much going on, my schedule is too busy for my liking this week. I just need to get through today and tomorrow(and teaching 4 more classes), then dh is off for vacation. We sooo need it. Can't wait to get in some lazy time but also some biking, hiking and who knows what else. I have been neglecting yoga too, teaching this much burns me out and takes away from time to take classes. I'm going to have to do differently for my summer school schedule, I don't like teaching 4 days a week, I miss the kids. I'm hoping I can consolidate classes to 2 days a week.

Great progress, Soror. Fall is a tough time for lots of people due to the decreasing light. It's not surprising that your appetite would change.

It is not the sun for me, I feel better in high winter than high summer. 

Whole 30 is done!   :hurray:   

Today begins reintroduction.  I'm skipping reintroducing alcohol, because I already know that it triggers a worse-than-average migraine for me, so no need to repeat that!  I had a Whole 30 breakfast, but I'll have some beans with lunch and dinner and see how that goes.  

My main hope with Whole 30 was to reduce migraine frequency, and unfortunately it did not help in that way at all.  That's a real bummer.  I was really hoping that a previously undiscovered food intolerance was playing a significant role in the migraines, but I guess it really is just perimenopause hormonal stuff that I can't control.   :(

My second goal was to get rid of the belly bloat, and it worked brilliantly for that.  I still have more fat on my belly than I'd like, of course (it would need more than 30 days to get rid of that!), but I'm talking about the painful, heavy bloated feeling that was becoming a daily occurrence before.  It disappeared from day 1 and hasn't returned.  

I was also hoping to lose two or maybe three pounds.  That seemed like a reasonable goal.  I lost four.  I'm hoping it was all fat, and not muscle!  I haven't been lifting weights quite as regularly as I had been before, so I hope I didn't lose muscle.  I think at least some of it was fat, because my clothes do seem to fit a bit more comfortably, and my waist measured a quarter inch less.  Not a huge difference, but I'll take it!

So overall I'm definitely considering it a success!  Probably the single best thing about it was that I REALLY boosted the amount of veggies that I eat.  I don't want to give that part up - I really enjoyed it!  And even though my husband and daughter didn't do W30 with me, they ate more veggies too simply because I was preparing more.  I didn't feel as deprived as I thought I would, and I think that's because I tried new fruits and veggies that I'd never had before, and that made it fun.

I thought about turning it into a Whole 60, but instead, I think I'm just going to take the reintroduction phase a little slower than it says, and see how things go.

I'd love to hear how it went for the others who did it!  Since you guys had done it before, are you still going to do the gradual reintroduction?  Or will you just go back to eating the foods you know you can handle?

Losing 4 lbs and better fitting clothes is great for a months work. Even better to lose the belly bloat. Sounds like something you were eating was bothering you for sure, now to figure out what is causing the pain and bloat. Too bad about the headaches :( Hormones suck. 

I had lost track of the time really. The first week you guys started was a bit rough for me, it took a bit to get lined out with my medication changes. I guess it has been about 2 1/2 weeks I've been back to a stricter diet, although I don't follow all of the W30 rules, I kind of make my own for my body. I eat pre-made salad dressings and sometimes have condiments with sugar. I have honey(from my bees) in my tea(it really seems to help my seasonal allergies). Anyway, my "diet" is working very well for me right now, I'm eating lots of produce, a fair amount of protein and some fat. I've had the roughest time figuring out carb levels since this last pregnancy(as we've talked about), it just seems my body could not make up my mind at all. But right now I'm not even having to think about it. Some days I eat more (like yesterday) and some days less, less food, less carbs. I'm eating at just a slight deficit, judging by my hunger, but only slight. Anyway, my body just feels like it is working right again as I said and it is a nice feeling and an amazing difference between that and when everything is all haywire and I'm having to fight it because the urge to eat a (literal)half box of Cheerios is too strong, although it makes me feel terrible!

Yesterday's food (this was a heavy eating day for me)

4 chicken breakfast sausage links(no preservatives yada yada) large apple, almond butter, peppermint tea w/ honey

leftover peanut beef(store bought sauce), broccoli(xtra broccoli) and carrots- at most a1 c. beef, 2 cups broccoli, 1/2 c. carrots

2 leftover pork chops and half a small baked sweet potato- 1 pork chop didn't do it for me! this was my snack!

carrots w/ treenut "cheese", strawberries- light supper b/c my "snack" earlier filled me up pretty good and I was craving produce~!

orange la croix drink(carbonated flavored water)- 2oz orange juice- just b/c I wanted it :)

Thinking forward to some beach vacations coming up this summer: I won't be able to do weight lifting but want to keep up strength training. I thought it would be fun to figure out a strength training routine that could be done in the sand or water on the beach.. Would you guys like to help me think of exercises? One requirement is that they would not look obscene! (So I don't want to be sticking my butt out, doing clamshells, fire hydrants, etc!) 

Planks, bird dogs

Push-ups

What can I do for hamstrings/glutes? I think a bridge would look too obscene, but what do you think about a one-legged bridge? 

What about stretches that wouldn't look obscene? Child's pose, various shoulder ones. Would a figure 4 stretch look decent while lying down or should I try to stand up and do it? 

All ideas appreciated! 

I do pulls on misc. objects, I've done them on hotel doors before, keep your eye out there is often something to grab ahold of around. Otherwise you could do rows with whatever you can find for some weight. I always vote for squats for bodyweight exercises, there are soo many and they are good for shaping the butt.

I like to do "hugs", bring your arms in front of you, like you are hugging a giant ball then bring them out wide as far behind as they will go. Hands laced together behind your back and raised. There are so many stretches out there.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

Well I'm a swimmer, so when I'm at the beach I spend my time swimming and then resting. I body surf or use a boogie board. This is all plenty of exercise. Maybe some walking and running along the beach, or in and out of the water playing with the kids. 

Sounds like you might not be a swimmer, though. Walking through water with surf IS a work-out. You can run in the water, as there is a ton of resistance. Jumping up and down is good, too. You can play catch with your kids, or chase or whatever, both in the water and on the beach. Running and walking in sand is also a great work-out.

I do swim, but don't like to do it in the ocean: sharks, jelly fish, salt in eyes and mouth. I prefer to have my head well out of the water! 

I love to walk and do so for miles and miles at the beach, so cardio will be covered.

I'm trying to plan for strength training because I can't haul my weights with me on vacation! And I thought it would be fun to switch it up a bit anyway.  

I'm trying to plan for strength training because I can't haul my weights with me on vacation! And I thought it would be fun to switch it up a bit anyway.  

I mentioned walking, running, moving in the water. Throwing balls. Playing. These all involve strength. They also involve agility, balance, core muscles. And they are things that people do at the beach. I just can't see you lifting up buckets of sand multiple times before people think you're a little weird.  :laugh:   Think outside your box of "weight training = strength." 

• Like 2

I mentioned walking, running, moving in the water. Throwing balls. Playing. These all involve strength. They also involve agility, balance, core muscles. And they are things that people do at the beach. I just can't see you lifting up buckets of sand multiple times before people think you're a little weird.  :laugh:   Think outside your box of "weight training = strength." 

:) Thanks!

I do swim, but don't like to do it in the ocean: sharks, jelly fish, salt in eyes and mouth. I prefer to have my head well out of the water!

I love to walk and do so for miles and miles at the beach, so cardio will be covered.

Blogilates has some great videos on youtube. I do her 6 minute leg workouts when I don't feel like I did enough at the gym.

• Like 1

Losing 4 lbs and better fitting clothes is great for a months work. Even better to lose the belly bloat. Sounds like something you were eating was bothering you for sure, now to figure out what is causing the pain and bloat. Too bad about the headaches :( Hormones suck.

I had lost track of the time really. The first week you guys started was a bit rough for me, it took a bit to get lined out with my medication changes. I guess it has been about 2 1/2 weeks I've been back to a stricter diet, although I don't follow all of the W30 rules, I kind of make my own for my body. I eat pre-made salad dressings and sometimes have condiments with sugar. I have honey(from my bees) in my tea(it really seems to help my seasonal allergies). Anyway, my "diet" is working very well for me right now, I'm eating lots of produce, a fair amount of protein and some fat. I've had the roughest time figuring out carb levels since this last pregnancy(as we've talked about), it just seems my body could not make up my mind at all. But right now I'm not even having to think about it. Some days I eat more (like yesterday) and some days less, less food, less carbs. I'm eating at just a slight deficit, judging by my hunger, but only slight. Anyway, my body just feels like it is working right again as I said and it is a nice feeling and an amazing difference between that and when everything is all haywire and I'm having to fight it because the urge to eat a (literal)half box of Cheerios is too strong, although it makes me feel terrible!

Yesterday's food (this was a heavy eating day for me)

4 chicken breakfast sausage links(no preservatives yada yada) large apple, almond butter, peppermint tea w/ honey

leftover peanut beef(store bought sauce), broccoli(xtra broccoli) and carrots- at most a1 c. beef, 2 cups broccoli, 1/2 c. carrots

2 leftover pork chops and half a small baked sweet potato- 1 pork chop didn't do it for me! this was my snack!

carrots w/ treenut "cheese", strawberries- light supper b/c my "snack" earlier filled me up pretty good and I was craving produce~!

orange la croix drink(carbonated flavored water)- 2oz orange juice- just b/c I wanted it :)

Yes, overall I was very happy, even though I didn't get everything I'd hoped for. The most important thing is that I learned I can give up grains and dairy and still be happy! I thought I was going to feel so deprived, but I really don't. It's worth it. I don't even think that much about it for the meals I prepare myself. It does get tricky when eating out.

I'm glad you found what works for you, because I really think that's what Whole 30 is about more than the "rules" themselves. I would eat honey if I had my own bees too! That's so cool!

• Like 1

Planks, bird dogs

Push-ups

All ideas appreciated! 

Squats, for sure, maybe holding something with some mass to it for additional weight (like a full water bottle? Or a rock?). Maybe go one-legged. Tricep dips in a sort of bridge position, if that makes sense. Holding upward dog is strengthening. For stretches, I can think of lots but have a hard time describing them! One would be standing with feet wide/knees straight, bending forward, letting arms hang or holding elbows and swaying a bit for a minute. Camel pose and bow. Head rolls. Standing side stretch with arm up and over.

Update on me, haven't done a weight workout with Thursday, but been walking and working in the yard clearing many, many small trees and branches. Down another half pound. Hoping for one more pound before I leave for my trip Thursday night, so I have stuck to the eating plan pretty well this weekend rather than going into relaxed mode. Realized that I've been pretty consistent with this for about 5 months now. That will change on this trip! I'm accompanying my daughter to a camp to serve as volunteer, will be eating camp food, sleeping in a bunk, and pretty much lose control of my schedule. The trick will be returning to the plan on my return!!

• Like 3

I am trying to make healthier choices without feeling deprived. I ate a lot of bbqed chicken at the pool today, but also had grapes and a small brownie and 2 light beers. I know avoiding all carbs is best for me but also eating some, especially treats, is essential so I don't go into a high intensity focus. I believe I've learned how to diet but not how to live with healthy habits.

Movement: I got none. Yikes! I don't know where to start. I think I am going to try neighborhood walks with the kids on bikes trikes etc

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Confession:  I have not done an intentional workout in over a month, and I've been eating like a garbage can!  Life has been crazy busy, and I've just thrown my hands up for a while.

Good news - I've gained exactly 1lb.

Bad news - That's really all I expect to lose once I get back into the swing of things.

:toetap05:

• Like 2

Pretty lazy weekend and I needed it after the busy weekend and week. 

I'm trying to figure out my schedule for the next month. It needs to be simpler and with some constancy, it is driving me nuts to be teaching at all these various days and times. I'm thinking of teaching T/Th and taking off M/W/F and doing some strength work on those days, walking/hiking when I can (and some general chill time before I start back with homeschooling in July). I need to print up my workout lists and I've got to add back in hand balancing- I've not done any in a while and I'm doing it as part of my camp at the end of July. So, I've got to meld 2 programs, without having workouts that take forever. 

My bday is at the end of June, I'd like to lose 5 lbs by then- 1 in off my hips and 1/2 inch off my belly. I'm due to get my license redone and I don't want to have to lie about my weight :) Besides the fact that it was my original goal way back in Feb when I started trying to line my thyroid back out again. We'll see if that happens. I can be strict again for another month(assuming my body doesn't jump the shark), whether it is enough to lose that much, we'll see. 

Today- the weather will be nice, we need to mow first and foremost before we leave, would like to do a bit of biking too, the weather is supposed to be gorgeous. Ds and I will do bodyweight stuff together. 

This week- teaching Tues then going camping for 3 days, lots of hiking planned, maybe some biking(if we can work out hauling the bikes with along with our gear)

• Like 1

I'm still not exercising as much as I'd like to be.  I don't know why I'm having such a hard time getting back into the swing of things.  Well, part of it is that my husband stopped doing weights, so that disrupted my morning routine.  He just works out at home now, and so it's harder for me to drag my carcass to the gym alone.  My daughter still wants to go to the gym every day, but she only likes to stay for 20 or 30 minutes (instead of an hour) so I'm just not getting as much done.  Daughter and I also go for a walk or sometimes a run at sunset, so that helps too.  But I think I've lost some strength since I haven't been lifting as often or as much.  I really want to turn that around this week!

The Whole 30 experiment is still going well.  I've tested beans (fail!) and rice (so far, so good).  I'm taking it a little slower than the re-introduction schedule recommends:  I didn't want to test all the non-gluten grains in one day because I wonder if some of them will affect me worse than others.  So I started with rice thinking it would probably be the least likely to cause trouble.

My mom had her annual checkup with her doctor, and he was concerned that her blood sugar was a little high.  Not like diabetic high, but not ideal either.  So he recommended that she go on Whole 30!  So I've been sharing recipes with her and trying to help her get started.  It's nice to help her out, and it kind of re-energized my enthusiasm for the diet too.   :001_smile:

I'm still not exercising as much as I'd like to be.  I don't know why I'm having such a hard time getting back into the swing of things.  Well, part of it is that my husband stopped doing weights, so that disrupted my morning routine.  He just works out at home now, and so it's harder for me to drag my carcass to the gym alone.  My daughter still wants to go to the gym every day, but she only likes to stay for 20 or 30 minutes (instead of an hour) so I'm just not getting as much done.  Daughter and I also go for a walk or sometimes a run at sunset, so that helps too.  But I think I've lost some strength since I haven't been lifting as often or as much.  I really want to turn that around this week!

As someone who recently fell off the wagon, can I encourage you in your quest to get back on? I fell off for legit reasons involving illness and injury (not related to exercise). That should have been 3 weeks off. It took me another 3 weeks to get myself to climb back on. After 3 weeks back on, exercising very consistently, I am up to 90% of deadlift, a little over 75% of squats, and a meager 30% or so on push-ups. I really wish I'd been able to get back on the wagon faster. 

Here are some things to possibly consider (if you don't want to answer, that's fine!) 

1. Sometimes a light ramp-up will work: telling yourself that you can just do ____ (and set a low bar that requires you to do your typical moves but at a reduced number and/or weight. The idea is to get back in the literal motion and over any mental wall---if that is the issue.) 

2. It seems like your success in exercise consistency is correlated with being with a buddy.  Can you negotiate with either your dh or your dd? For instance, perhaps he would do one day in the gym and/or she would agree to stay longer and bring something else to do while she waits for you to finish. (Dh does this with me.)  Can you also switch your exercise to your home and exercise with your dh? 

3. If you are stuck with your 20-30 min, can you just focus on warm up and one big lift until you figure something else out? 

4. What is important to you about being at the gym? (It seems like that is also a key factor besides the company) 

Just throwing some ideas out there. I think it helps to figure out whether you just have a mental block vs. whether there are actual obstacles created by new circumstances that cause you to need to figure out a new strategy. 

• Like 2

Hang in there everyone! End of May is crazy for most people, I think.

Since our fishing trip was rained out, I went to the Y and did a Tabata class. That was intense.

For sure! I think May is worse than the winter holiday season as far as general schedule chaos.

I did the 21 Day Fix Yoga Extreme yesterday, walked the dog (ran into two bears, yikes), and walked without the dog. Half a pound away from the milestone I'm hoping to hit before the trip.

• Like 3

For sure! I think May is worse than the winter holiday season as far as general schedule chaos.

I did the 21 Day Fix Yoga Extreme yesterday, walked the dog (ran into two bears, yikes), and walked without the dog. Half a pound away from the milestone I'm hoping to hit before the trip.

Bears?!

• Like 1

I did so much landscaping work this month that my hands gave me pain almost every night :( But the new bed is stunning.

My May gym challenge ends soon. I doubt I've lost any weight, but I hope my body fat percentage has decreased. We'll see tomorrow or Wednesday when I get checked.

My period started this morning (first since January; I'm 50). I am craving pizza in the worst way! I am thisclose to running out for some---but then I feel bad that dh and d cannot eat dairy. Conflicted!

• Like 3

Here are some things to possibly consider

Laurie, thank you so very much for your thoughtful reply! You've given me a lot to think about, and I will be back later to discuss it further. Again, thanks!

• Like 1

Bears?!

I've been seeing this one smallish black bear in a certain area for the last week, and yesterday she had a larger bear with her. Hopefully she (and now her friend) move on soon. It's a commonly hiked place, and I'd hate to see her get into trouble. She doesn't seem aggressive, but you never know what a bear of any sort might do.

• Like 3

Not much more of May left for our Well Trained Bodies topic! Hope everyone enjoyed some movement and nourishment over the holiday weekend.

Two hikes yesterday, one with the Dane and family, and the other with a friend, both blessedly bear-free! I'm pleased that I stuck to my eating plan even with my husband home for a four day weekend. Hit the pre-trip weight milestone I was hoping for, and a half pound below even. I haven't been here for a solid ten years, so feeling re-motivated! Going to workout with the 21 Day Extreme dvd RIGHT NOW!

• Like 3

21 Day Fix Extreme Upper Body, about to do the P90X stretch workout, then get out with the dog or dogs for a hike. The workouts and hikes are getting much easier with less weight on me, which is one of my motivators for sticking to the eating plan. Tomorrow night we head out to the cheer camp. I'm hoping to do a bit of running for my exercise there, but my schedule will be erratic as one of the camp drivers. Plus a much warmer and more humid climate...and have I mentioned I will be sleeping in a bunk in a cabin with twelve people? This introvert has good intentions for the upcoming week, but is realistic about the coping strategies that may be necessary for survival :laugh:

• Like 3