What's with the ads?

#201 Miss Peregrine

Miss Peregrine

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6442 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

For pain in the sacrum area, I've gotten relief by just lying on my back, gently pulling my knees toward my chest, and sort of slowly rocking around. (Does that make sense?) But if your pain is more in the lumbar area then I'm not sure that would work.

Yes, we do this in yoga to release the lower back. Also, look up "happy baby" pose.
  • soror likes this

#202 solascriptura

solascriptura

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises to relax the lower back?

I rode several hours in a truck in which the seat was concave, not convex, and my lower back tightened up. That was a couple weeks ago. It's mostly okay, but now it will "go there" really easily, like this morning, after I had been sitting on a hard chair for about 1/2 hour.

I don't think there is any injury, just very easily triggered into "protective tightened" mode. When I do push-ups , planks, or squats, it can kind of kick up then.

I've done the camel/cat stretches and that definitely helps. I wonder if there are more I could add to it.

Can you get a professional massage?

#203 wintermom

wintermom

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4951 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Ice (and/or perhaps some heat now that it's been a week) and muscle relaxants can be good to reduce the pain, and supplement with light stretching (the yoga ones other have mentioned are great). I wouldn't do too much heavy exercise until the pain is relieved, to be honest. There are a ton of nerves and muscles in that area that probably need some time to rest and recover before you start back on exercising. 

#204 Laurie4b

Laurie4b

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12419 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

This one is my go to video for lower back pain:

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=06WYKCfdAn4

Could you check the link? When I click on it, I get a Geico commercial and then nothing else. 

#205 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11942 posts

Posted Today, 07:10 AM

Last training finished Sunday, woot!

Taught 2 classes yesterday.

Little walks every day. 

5 more classes to teach this week. 

I am now at 10 lbs less than my highest weight with my last thyroid crash.

I'm 2 lbs away from my original goal.

5 lbs away from the top of my usual range.

10 lbs away from my usual weight.

I've been noticing that clothes that had gotten tight aren't anymore. 2 shirts that I was wearing this winter now look a bit baggy on me. When I lose a few more pounds then I'm going to see if my old pants are comfy again. I had to get new jeans this winter as my old ones were just too damn tight

Since I had this last baby I've made it to *my* "normal" weight twice but I cannot seem to maintain it. I vacillate between hope that my body will line out eventually and resignation that this may be the new normal. At this moment I'm feeling positive, my mood, energy, and sleep have been steady. 

It is interesting to watch how my appetite changes with my thyroid status. Super low I go back and forth between forcing myself to eat as I don't even have the energy for it and insatiable hunger for massive tons of carbs trying to get a bit of energy. Too high and I either don't want to eat because I'm buzzing OR my appetite is HUGE. Too low I gain weight, too high I can maintain but not lose. Right now I'm right in the middle. I've been saying since this baby I haven't been able to tolerate lower carb at all, it screws up my sleep, no energy etc. Well, right now it's working for me again, and working well. Sleep is good even. I'm not super LC, I eat potatoes and fruit as much as I want but for a good while that just wouldn't cut it. I'm also *trying* very hard not to push myself too hard. Resting here and there, downtime, naps, lowering stress whenever possible.  All of this makes me optimistic that maybe, just maybe I've finally found the right combo of meds and my hormones are back to normal, maybe, just maybe I can stay stable instead of this horrible roller coaster of feeling really good, horrible crashing, and then going too high. The big test will be when fall comes, for some reason I tend to crash and put on weight on the fall, I'm beginning to think I have an issue with mold that is causing part of the problem. Normal is underrated.

• Laurie4b, Greta and wintermom like this

#206 wintermom

wintermom

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4951 posts

Posted Today, 07:50 AM

I got in a really nice bike ride yesterday afternoon. Today is the first match of the outdoor season in my competitive tennis league; still the recreation level - I'm NOT a pro.  :laugh:  I'm slotted to play ladies doubles with my long-time partner. It should be fun!

• Laurie4b, Greta and soror like this

#207 trulycrabby

trulycrabby

mullet supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4916 posts

Posted Today, 08:29 AM

Could you check the link? When I click on it, I get a Geico commercial and then nothing else.

I checked it using my kindle, and there's no commercial and it plays. Perhaps either try another web browser, or go to youtube and search "Eckhart Yoga lower back pain."
  • Laurie4b likes this

#208 Laurie4b

Laurie4b

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12419 posts

Posted Today, 10:10 AM

I checked it using my kindle, and there's no commercial and it plays. Perhaps either try another web browser, or go to youtube and search "Eckhart Yoga lower back pain."

Thanks so much! I'll do the search. 

#209 Laurie4b

Laurie4b

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12419 posts

Posted Today, 10:18 AM

Ice (and/or perhaps some heat now that it's been a week) and muscle relaxants can be good to reduce the pain, and supplement with light stretching (the yoga ones other have mentioned are great). I wouldn't do too much heavy exercise until the pain is relieved, to be honest. There are a ton of nerves and muscles in that area that probably need some time to rest and recover before you start back on exercising. 

This isn't painful--just tight and stiff. And it's intermittent, triggered by sitting. It's relieved by movement. I just want it to have some targeted exercises. Maybe icing would help relax it though when it's stiff. 

Can you get a professional massage?

There is an excellent masseuse at my gym, but it's kind of pricey. I wonder if a massage when it's not tight (most of the time) would help. I might ask her about that. Thanks for the suggestion. 

#210 Laurie4b

Laurie4b

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12419 posts

Posted Today, 10:20 AM

Monday, I walked at a modest speed with a friend while catching up. 90 min. I only did push-ups and a rotator cuff exercise as upper body.

Tuesday, it was raining out and I put off indoor exercise till 9 pm. I did do about 30 min of online Zumba interspersed with deadlifts and topped off with clamshells for lower body. I still like the integration. 

Today is Zumba. Need to do my upper body before then.  

• Greta likes this

#211 solascriptura

solascriptura

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted Today, 10:29 AM

The good news is that I've hit my goals in terms of weight loss. The bad news is that I'm not really sure how! I've been eating out due to birthdays, drank beer, and had too many desserts. I've also had to cutback on a workout here and there due to schedule problems. I'm wondering if I lost muscle mass. I hope not! Could it be that I wasn't eating enough before?
  • Greta likes this

#212 Greta

Greta

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6747 posts

Posted Today, 10:51 AM

Whole 30 is done!   :hurray:   

Today begins reintroduction.  I'm skipping reintroducing alcohol, because I already know that it triggers a worse-than-average migraine for me, so no need to repeat that!  I had a Whole 30 breakfast, but I'll have some beans with lunch and dinner and see how that goes.  

My main hope with Whole 30 was to reduce migraine frequency, and unfortunately it did not help in that way at all.  That's a real bummer.  I was really hoping that a previously undiscovered food intolerance was playing a significant role in the migraines, but I guess it really is just perimenopause hormonal stuff that I can't control.   :(

My second goal was to get rid of the belly bloat, and it worked brilliantly for that.  I still have more fat on my belly than I'd like, of course (it would need more than 30 days to get rid of that!), but I'm talking about the painful, heavy bloated feeling that was becoming a daily occurrence before.  It disappeared from day 1 and hasn't returned.  

I was also hoping to lose two or maybe three pounds.  That seemed like a reasonable goal.  I lost four.  I'm hoping it was all fat, and not muscle!  I haven't been lifting weights quite as regularly as I had been before, so I hope I didn't lose muscle.  I think at least some of it was fat, because my clothes do seem to fit a bit more comfortably, and my waist measured a quarter inch less.  Not a huge difference, but I'll take it!

So overall I'm definitely considering it a success!  Probably the single best thing about it was that I REALLY boosted the amount of veggies that I eat.  I don't want to give that part up - I really enjoyed it!  And even though my husband and daughter didn't do W30 with me, they ate more veggies too simply because I was preparing more.  I didn't feel as deprived as I thought I would, and I think that's because I tried new fruits and veggies that I'd never had before, and that made it fun.

I thought about turning it into a Whole 60, but instead, I think I'm just going to take the reintroduction phase a little slower than it says, and see how things go.

I'd love to hear how it went for the others who did it!  Since you guys had done it before, are you still going to do the gradual reintroduction?  Or will you just go back to eating the foods you know you can handle?

• solascriptura likes this

#213 Gr8lander

Gr8lander

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted Today, 11:36 AM

Great progress, Soror. Fall is a tough time for lots of people due to the decreasing light. It's not surprising that your appetite would change.

Solascriptura, well, yay for meeting the goal! Maybe you were more satisified with your food choices, so eating smaller amounts of the higher calorie foods? Whatever happened, I'm glad it was in the good direction for you :-)

Congrats on completing the Whole 30 plan, Greta! Bummer about the headaches, but glad you got some other benefits.

Nothing to report here. Eating is okay, doing the calorie count thing. Continuing the combo of 21 Day Fix Extreme workouts (a half hour doesn't seem "extreme", but whatever, lol) and P90X stretch, plus the daily walk with the dog for 60-90 minutes. Hoping to be consistent through next week when I leave on my trip for 10 days.

• Greta and solascriptura like this