Menu

Well Trained Bodies - May 2017

Granny_Weatherwax

You go, girl! That's fantastic! Now if only you could work out for me . . .

Ha, I barely made it through for me! I swear the 60+ yo lady was peppier than me. I'm just so blasted slow. Good thing it isn't a speed workout. I get too hot very easily.

Anyway, we did -

push-ups

presses

shrimp squats

hollow body holds

bear crawl

frog jumps

monkey walk/jumps

squats

pull-up prep/hanging shoulder retraction

l-sits- making progress here, woot!

• Like 5

It's raining like crazy here, with no signs of stopping. Many homes are flooded and the people have been evacuated.  So, no tennis, obviously. I got in a little walking while shopping at the outlet mall (NOT usually my destination for relaxation). I found a nice casserole dish 50% off, so I was happy. I didn't go seeking it out. I actually wanted to buy a placemat with the Periodic Table on it for my ds.  :laugh:   Wow! I sure got distracted somehow. I used to have a Periodic Table placemat when the dc were really little. Now I've lost it when I really want it and can use the thing.

• Like 3

It's raining like crazy here, with no signs of stopping. Many homes are flooded and the people have been evacuated.  So, no tennis, obviously. I got in a little walking while shopping at the outlet mall (NOT usually my destination for relaxation). I found a nice casserole dish 50% off, so I was happy. I didn't go seeking it out. I actually wanted to buy a placemat with the Periodic Table on it for my ds.  :laugh:   Wow! I sure got distracted somehow. I used to have a Periodic Table placemat when the dc were really little. Now I've lost it when I really want it and can use the thing.

We've had horrible flooding here too :( It has been a wet spring so far.

I got in two and a half hours of tennis this morning. My singles match ended up with me giving my opponent a tennis lesson. She has a tendency to hit the ball right back at her opponent and asked me to help her break that habit. I had fun helping her learn new skills and she improved quickly.  Afterward, I played an hour of cardio tennis.

I'll walk the dog this evening and then I'm going to bed. I'm tired.

• Like 6

I got in two and a half hours of tennis this morning. My singles match ended up with me giving my opponent a tennis lesson. She has a tendency to hit the ball right back at her opponent and asked me to help her break that habit. I had fun helping her learn new skills and she improved quickly.  Afterward, I played an hour of cardio tennis.

I'll walk the dog this evening and then I'm going to bed. I'm tired.

Man, I have a bad habit of doing this, too!  Dh runs me all over the court, and I scramble to hit the ball right to him. :cursing:  I'm gradually getting better, but still need work. It's great when tennis people can help each other out! Way to go!! 

• Like 2

Tonight I did a kettlebell circuit at the gym (goblet squats, double floor presses, sumo deadlifts) and endured the treadmill for 20 minutes. It rained all day long (but nothing like you others are getting!) so I was unable to work on digging my new bed.

Tomorrow may be a day off---I'll be busy until 2pm with my Very Last Homeschooling Volunteer Obligation ( :party: ). We're invited to a Derby party beginning at 1pm. I may just send dh and plead a headache--which I'll probably have after spending 6 hours with hundreds of elementary school kids :lol:

• Like 4

I won yesterday's tennis match!

I was selected to play #2 singles for yesterday's USTA 4.0 match. I haven't played an official 4.0 singles match so this was my first. Out of 16 players, I was the only 3.5. The gal I played was 15 years my junior and a seasoned 4.0 player. I just dug in and gave it everything I had. She was good but I wanted it more and closed out more points than she did. Final score: 6-1, 6-2.

Redemption for last week's doubles loss. This win makes me eligible for districts in early June. I hope I get to go.

Today I've taken a 5 mile walk and am getting ready to plant flowers.

• Like 8

Congratulations, Scoutermon!  Great job on your match!!  :hurray:

Dh and I got out to play some singles tennis. We got in 2 sets. It was totally crazy with the wind, sprinkles of rain and snow flurries! I won, though, so I was a happy girl.  :laugh:

• Like 4

I ate decently last week but didn't get in many workouts. Just the ones I posted from Monday and Tuesday plus a karate class yesterday. Also, I'm still not drinking enough water. Maybe I should set an alarm or something to remind myself.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a couple that does fitness coaching. They do online coaching and customized diet and exercise plans but live in my area so I'm meeting them in person. My DH worked with them a year or so ago and really wants me to give them a try. He wants to be helpful but I'm really not sure if I'm going to like it. They're both competitive body builder/fitness models and train others to compete, and, so, while the program I'd be doing is different, that competitive fitness vibe is still there - and absolutely NOT my thing. I also have my own ideas about what I think healthy eating looks like and I'm worried their plan is going to be something opposite of that. I definitely have my reservations but DH is so excited about helping me out that I'm going to give it a try. It's only 12 weeks. I'd just hate to spend the money and then hate it.

• Like 5

I ate decently last week but didn't get in many workouts. Just the ones I posted from Monday and Tuesday plus a karate class yesterday. Also, I'm still not drinking enough water. Maybe I should set an alarm or something to remind myself.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a couple that does fitness coaching. They do online coaching and customized diet and exercise plans but live in my area so I'm meeting them in person. My DH worked with them a year or so ago and really wants me to give them a try. He wants to be helpful but I'm really not sure if I'm going to like it. They're both competitive body builder/fitness models and train others to compete, and, so, while the program I'd be doing is different, that competitive fitness vibe is still there - and absolutely NOT my thing. I also have my own ideas about what I think healthy eating looks like and I'm worried their plan is going to be something opposite of that. I definitely have my reservations but DH is so excited about helping me out that I'm going to give it a try. It's only 12 weeks. I'd just hate to spend the money and then hate it.

Here's what I did when I was focusing on my water. It worked wonders. I need to get back to it.

I was doing Shakeology (yes, I have tried practically every thing out there in an attempt to lose weight) and I have the Shakeology shaker cup that holds 25oz.My goal was to drink between 80-100 ozs a day. I put 4 rubber bands around the bottom 1/3 of the cup; each rubber band represented 25 oz.. When I emptied the cup, I would remove the rubber band and wrap it around the flipper lid closure. This way I had a visual reminder of how much water I had consumed and how much was left to drink. I tried to make sure I had moved two rubber bands by noon.

You can do the same thing with any cup or bottle, Nalgenes work well.

I can't wait to hear about the 12 week program. One of my tennis buddies is doing the 10 week Ferrel's Body Shaping with her DH. He loves it; she does not.

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 2

Last week, I only did 2 cardio workouts and did my "get back on the wagon" strength-training Lite.

Mistakes: I've seen a FB meme that Monday is the most important workout of the week.  I think it's true. I skipped it, then skipped Tuesday went to Zumba Wed, skipped Thur, traveled Friday and walked/ran on Sat. (that was good since I was out of town.) 

Fortunately, this week, Monday is going to be sunny. The rest of the week not so much. It will be a good temp for an outdoor walk/run so I'm committing here to do that. I will also have a lot of gardening chores and we're getting ready to remodel our kitchen so a big to-do list there. (Last week, gardening took my attention from exercising. I don't entirely regret it because I got the seeds in before the rain, but still.) 

I will do a real strength training either Mon or Tues, then Thur and Sat. 

It's going to be raining the rest of the week so I need to think of some indoor cardio. I really don't particularly like indoor cardio other than Zumba. I find machines mind-numbingly boring and to face 45-60 min of it makes me  :huh: .   I might try the water aerobics at our gym. I've done it before and it's fine, but it's crowded. But it's less boring than the machines! There is Latin dance on Thur, but it ain't Zumba. More like a bunch of calisthenics strung together to Latin music with some grapevine and salsa thrown in. I am so spoiled by my super Zumba teacher! I wish she taught more than one night per week. 

• Like 4

I can't wait to here about the 12 week program. One of my tennis buddies is doing the 10 week Ferrel's Body Shaping with her DH. He loves it; she does not.

That's what I'm afraid of. My DH liked the program they came up with for him. But we have very different ideas about what "healthy" eating is and which kinds of exercise are enjoyable. I'm trying, and failing I think, to be optimistic about what they give me.

That's a good idea for the water bottle. I'd like to do around 75oz a day but I'd be happy with 64oz. My water bottle is 32oz so I'll put 3 rubber bands on it tomorrow and see if the visual reminder helps.

• Like 4

I did really well at the beginning of the week, then kind of fell off the wagon Thursday and Friday. I think my self-imposed diet restrictions were too strict because I was just incredibly grumpy and in the worst mood ever. So I eased off a little, and felt much better.

Saturday we cleaned out the garage - took literally everything out, swept and sprayed it out, and then went through everything to decide if we really need/want it. It was awesome because we took 3 huge loads to the local donation place, and have another even bigger pile behind our back gate that will go in the annual cleanup dumpster that is coming next week. According to my Fitbit, that project represented over 5 miles of steps and 187 active minutes.

Yesterday was a rest day, except for our family walk after dinner, and today I'm back on the case with a plan to go running this morning

• Like 3

My 28 day workplace step challenge is complete. My total steps for the challenge: 442,329.

This included 4 travel days where I did nothing but drive for 12 hours a day so I lost approximately 60,000 steps.

High day - 31,984
Low (non driving) - 10,161
Low (driving) - 2781
Average (- non driving) - 18,430
Average (+ non driving) - 15797
Best week - 140,329
Worst week - 87,820

I did some research and discovered that the average American gets fewer than 7000 steps a day. A sedentary lifestyle is fewer than 5000. An active lifestyle is 10,000. Highly active is anything above 12,500.

I know I am active. I am watching what I eat. Why can't I lose weight? (insert a cry of desperation)

• Like 4

It sounds like you are all doing great!  It was fun catching up on the thread.  You guys support and help me more than you know.  Just reading what you're doing helps with my own motivation.  I love reading all your successes and accomplishments!  

Speaking of motivation, this is kind of funny.  I guess my subconscious had been worried about the fact that I'd eased off too much on my workouts the last couple of weeks, because on Friday night I had this dream that I was trying to do the leg press and could barely do 45 pounds!  So I got my butt to the gym on Saturday and found that I could, in fact, still press 200 pounds.  Whew!  :lol:

I've also had a couple of dreams about pigging out on a food that's not allowed, and realizing with horror that I was going to have to start Whole 30 all over again!  By the way, how is that going, for those of you who are doing it?  I'm still really enjoying the foods, and I am most definitely enjoying not having a bloated painful belly.  The only problem I'm having is that I'm finding it hard to plan meals and decide what to eat.  Once that's done, I enjoy the food.  But the planning seems like such a chore.  Is that just me?

That sounds so fun!  Even if you don't want to follow their dietary advice, I bet there will be something useful you can take from it.  Let us know how it goes!

I really don't particularly like indoor cardio other than Zumba. I find machines mind-numbingly boring and to face 45-60 min of it makes me  :huh: .   I might try the water aerobics at our gym. I've done it before and it's fine, but it's crowded. But it's less boring than the machines! There is Latin dance on Thur, but it ain't Zumba. More like a bunch of calisthenics strung together to Latin music with some grapevine and salsa thrown in. I am so spoiled by my super Zumba teacher! I wish she taught more than one night per week. 

I wish I was coordinated enough for the dance aerobics classes.  They look like they'd be really fun.  Cardio machines are boring!  Two things make them bearable for me:  first, I load up a total "brain candy" audiobook, usually romance, on my iPad, and second, I do intervals because not only is it a better workout but it also seems to make the time pass faster.  But for those who can dance, I say dance!  :D

• Like 3

My 28 day workplace step challenge is complete. My total steps for the challenge: 442,329.

This included 4 travel days where I did nothing but drive for 12 hours a day so I lost approximately 60,000 steps.

High day - 31,984

Low (non driving) - 10,161

Low (driving) - 2781

Average (- non driving) - 18,430

Average (+ non driving) - 15797

Best week - 140,329

Worst week - 87,820

I did some research and discovered that the average American gets fewer than 7000 steps a day. A sedentary lifestyle is fewer than 5000. An active lifestyle is 10,000. Highly active is anything above 12,500.

I know I am active. I am watching what I eat. Why can't I lose weight? (insert a cry of desperation)

That is an amazing amount of walking!  Although I work out hard 6 days a week, I don't really walk much at all.  I live in suburbia and so you know how that goes.  

I'm sorry about your frustration.  I can't really recall what everyone does for their exercise, but do you do any weights?  

• Like 2

scoutermom- Congrats on your match, WTG! Even though you lost your walking challenge I think you did great, especially with the driving in there. I'd suggest again looking for an integrated med. dr to check hormones, thyroid and vitamin levels. Gen. Practice dr's generally stink with diagnosing those type of issues and wait until you are really bad off to even recognize an issue, never just take their word that it is fine, get your test results.

2ndgen- good luck with the trainers, I hope they come up with a plan that works for you, good trainers should be able to work with your goals, not their own. 

Greta- have you not had any more issues with headaches? Most of the first week food was hit and miss as I felt horrible but I've gotten lined out and am eating well and enjoying it, getting back in my stride. I feel so much better the more fresh food I eat and the more vegetables.

Laurie- how about looking up a short cardio HIIT workout on Fitness Blender, that might switches things up.

Sparkly- Woot! on feeling good, that is everything.

I'm still not feeling 100%, better than last week but just not great, a tiredness that I should not have with as well and as much as I'm sleeping. Long story short various signs seem to point to my thyroid hormones going a bit too high so I've lowered down my dosage a bit, some of the symptoms I've had have stopped. I'm still not feeling great, we'll see how it goes.  

On the plus side for the first time since 3/22 (6 wks!!!) the scale has came done a bit. We did some walking this weekend but nothing major, we took a walk this morning, we never get far as walking with kids is slow but we were gone a good while. 

This week I have 6 strength workouts on the schedule but none are super long and 2 are really short. I'll do a 1 hr class on Friday that is bodyweight/functional movement stuff. My right arm is hurting again, I don't know if it is just from too much typing on the computer this weekend or I slept funny or something.

Food is going well. Just like that I'm not craving crap. Hormones or thyroid I don't know but I'll take it.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

That is an amazing amount of walking!  Although I work out hard 6 days a week, I don't really walk much at all.  I live in suburbia and so you know how that goes.  

I'm sorry about your frustration.  I can't really recall what everyone does for their exercise, but do you do any weights?  

Thanks, some of those steps were from tennis (singles and doubles) but mostly walking.

I began weight lifting in January and kept it up for three months. I was ill for about three weeks and then had a bout with depression. I quit weight training during that period and haven't gone back.

I don't know what to do about losing weight. I did WW about 10 years ago and lost 20 pounds. Now I can't lose anything and I'm more active and eat better than I did back then. I really think it's stress, cortisol, and birth control.

• Like 2

Thanks, some of those steps were from tennis (singles and doubles) but mostly walking.

I began weight lifting in January and kept it up for three months. I was ill for about three weeks and then had a bout with depression. I quit weight training during that period and haven't gone back.

I don't know what to do about losing weight. I did WW about 10 years ago and lost 20 pounds. Now I can't lose anything and I'm more active and eat better than I did back then. I really think it's stress, cortisol, and birth control.

You're on birth control? Well that could explain a lot of it, that can cause depression and weight gain. I had a HORRIBLE time with the pill and depo shot. If you need to be on it have you considered trying a different version?

Edited by soror

You're on birth control? Well that could explain a lot of it, that can cause depression and weight gain. I had a HORRIBLE time with the pill and depo shot. If you need to be on it have you considered trying a different version?

Yes, I'm on my second Mirena. I've been on it for 6 years. It was initially prescribed for heavy cycles with lots of clotting. It's doing the job nicely and I love being period free. I have thought about having it removed but life is better with it.

I lifted this morning but it doesn't really count because now I am eating strawberries with whipped topping and mini chocolate chips in lieu of lunch  :rolleyes:   Oh well, so goes my day.

I'm eating half of a twice baked sweet potato and a bag of Lays chips paired with drinking copious amounts of water. I just took off my work clothes and put on leggings and a long sleeve casual shirt (with the thumb holes) and am settling in to grade papers.

• Like 1

I'm eating half of a twice baked sweet potato and a bag of Lays chips paired with drinking copious amounts of water. I just took off my work clothes and put on leggings and a long sleeve casual shirt (with the thumb holes) and am settling in to grade papers.

Oh the casual athletic shirts with the thumb holes, ranked high on my favorites list â¤ï¸

Oh and water washes away a multitude of sins 😂

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

Just to chime in on the snacking....while overall ok, I really need to stop buying nuts. I cannot stop eating pistachios and honey roasted nuts. I'm pretty sure I gained weight from eating so many last week.

We always have nuts around here because my kids love them, but I have to stay away from them because I can't stop snacking on them once I start.  And I won't just eat one kind - I'll have a bowl of peanuts, then a bowl of almonds, then a bowl of cashews!  Definitely too much of a good thing!

Rest day yesterday with way too much eating and sitting (two of my sons graduated from college yesterday and we were gone for 15 hours!).  Back to my workouts today and trying to eat well until we leave for vacation on Saturday.

• Like 4

Greta- have you not had any more issues with headaches? Most of the first week food was hit and miss as I felt horrible but I've gotten lined out and am eating well and enjoying it, getting back in my stride. I feel so much better the more fresh food I eat and the more vegetables.

The migraines are pretty much the same frequency and intensity as before Whole 30, with the exception of that one horrible one. I got a period two days after that migraine (first one in about eight months) so I guess it was more about hormones than about diet? I'm glad that you're doing well on it! I'm surprised that my cravings haven't been as bad as I feared. I found some cherries at the grocery store today, and I got as excited over that as I used to get over brownies! :lol:

Sorry to hear about your fatigue. I sure hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

I HATE thumb holes. I think my area between the thumb and first finger might be too thick for thumb holes.

I love thumb holes. I never actually use them, I just need the extra length of sleeve because I have gorilla arms.  :laugh:  

• Like 2

Just to chime in on the snacking....while overall ok, I really need to stop buying nuts. I cannot stop eating pistachios and honey roasted nuts. I'm pretty sure I gained weight from eating so many last week.

Pistachios are the only nut I'm not allergic to, so I eat them iin large amounts. I think I overdid it yesterday evening, though. and ended up with a belly ache. I need to eat them in moderate amounts only. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Monday was a success for me, too. I finished week 2, day 1 of couch to 5k, and my eating was on track. I also did my strength training and am seeing some improvement, so that is encouraging. I definitely need to increase my water consumption and I like the rubber band idea so I will try that today.

I have a busy and stressful week coming up so I'm going to prepare some easy and healthy meals today that I can just grab or heat up later in the week when I need something.

• Like 5

I did not do my strength work yesterday as my arm continued to hurt, it was just a day to test skills so I am just going to do it before my other work today.

I'm psyched to say my energy is improving bit by bit. I slept good last night and woke up feeling awake. I'm anxious to see how the sleep continues as it was causing me issues every time carbs were lowered. 

Today is strength work and I'm teaching yoga class, I teach Wed & Thurs as well and maybe Friday. Probably just a short walk today with the other stuff going on.

• Like 4

I lifted this morning but it doesn't really count because now I am eating strawberries with whipped topping and mini chocolate chips in lieu of lunch  :rolleyes:   Oh well, so goes my day.

Haha...yeah exercise does nothing for dieting.  LOL  I just come home after and eat.  I am so hungry after.

• Like 2

I went for a bike ride with the dc to their guitar lessons. It was really nice to get back on a bike. My legs have lost some power, I think. Either that or dd's bike is much slower and heavier than mine.  :p   My tire is still in mid-repairs. As soon as the rain and snow flurries stop, I'll have an opportunity for finish getting on the new tube. 

• Like 3

So I gave up TRX and am now doing semi-private training with a fantastic trainer who has been published in dozens of fitness magazines. I am totally inspired by the other women I see in there - they do chin-ups! They lift huge weights! It's crazy. 

Today I pushed one of those metal cart things with an extra 190 pounds on it. I did lat pulls, low rows, bicep curls, hamstring curls with an exercise ball, planks, push-ups, and walking lunches with 10 lb weights in each hand. I am really loving the strength training. 

Next week, I start training for a 10 mile race. I won't actually be here for the race, but I'm happy to take the training.

• Like 6

Monday was a success for me, too. I finished week 2, day 1 of couch to 5k, and my eating was on track. I also did my strength training and am seeing some improvement, so that is encouraging. I definitely need to increase my water consumption and I like the rubber band idea so I will try that today.

I have a busy and stressful week coming up so I'm going to prepare some easy and healthy meals today that I can just grab or heat up later in the week when I need something.

Sounds like you are doing great! 

I started the Couch to 10K last year at around this time. I hated running all my life and the C210K program was so hard. But, eventually I finished it and now I love running :) 

That's smart to get your meals planned out in advance of a busy week.

• Like 2

sarah, that sounds like like a great opportunity. I keep thinking I want to add some weight lifting but I never fit it in the schedule, I just do bodyweight stuff, although that can be challenging enough, always more room to progress(don't think I'll ever be able to do 1 handed chin-ups or a human flag!)

gah I'm tired. My class went well today but teaching kids requires being "on" and it was a pretty active class. 3 more classes to teach this week, 4 so far scheduled for next, then training all weekend(my last weekend). Anyway, I felt good today, apart from some nerves but my nervousness is improving as I get more experience and confidence. Tomorrow I teach 1st graders! I've still have to do my workout.

• Like 1

I stubbed my toe pretty hard last night, and today it's swollen and purple. It's not outright painful to walk, but it's definitely not comfortable. I feel like one thing after another has been messing up my workout plans the last few weeks!

• Like 1

So I gave up TRX and am now doing semi-private training with a fantastic trainer who has been published in dozens of fitness magazines. I am totally inspired by the other women I see in there - they do chin-ups! They lift huge weights! It's crazy.

That sounds amazing!

• Like 1

I'll join in the conversation! A little about me: on and off low carb diet for 7 years, always around 120-130 (5'2''), struggle with over eating at night, binge eating, going to bed at reasonable hours, consistent exercise, and self care. Also I have pelvic floor issues.

Last week I had my first Pilates private instruction from about a month hiatus. She is helping me get more deep strength and use my abs and shoulders less. Apparently I compensate a lot with my neck and shoulders. I struggle with this class. The time to do it feels great, but the price doesn't, and I can feel like.. What am I doing here? It's not a lot of physical movement but more like pt. I usually doubt things that see expensive and all about me.

Tomorrow I go to a good pt about pelvic floor issues. I am dreading the appt. Just saying. I'm not in pain but things could be better.

Food: got into trader Joe's freezer section for a while with their frozen vegetables. That spring boarded me and I started cooking vegetables again! Today I cooked zucchini and bok choy.

Exercise: really miss endorphins of running. I have a membership to y. I dread going with the kids though. I need to decide on a plan and try. I did crack open my yoga book today and do a neck movement exercise.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yesterday I met with the fitness coaches. I'm not any more optimistic about it than I was before. It sounds like I'm going to be spending a ton of time in the kitchen. He mentioned something about eating every 2.5-3 hours. It's really going to mess up my whole routine and I don't do well with that. I hated getting measurements done and before pictures too. Bleh...I signed up anyway (and it cost quite a bit more than I thought it would be). Mostly because my DH was so excited for me to do it. Probably a bad reason. I start on Monday. I really hope the actual plan is better than I'm expecting and that I can do it without being crabby about it for 12 weeks.

My eating is ok but not spectacular and I'm still failing at drinking water. I went to karate class today and it was a good, sweaty one. Tonight I walked with friends while our kids played ultimate frisbee. These are my favorite ways to workout. I'd go to karate and walk with friends every day if I could.

• Like 2

I managed my exercises last night, took a bit to fall asleep (not helped by the fact that I exercised before bed) but I slept very well and all night. I was particularly low carb yesterday and on top of that didn't eat a ton due to nerves but I still slept well, that is beyond exciting, sleep is everything, fingers crossed it continues. 

I'll join in the conversation! A little about me: on and off low carb diet for 7 years, always around 120-130 (5'2''), struggle with over eating at night, binge eating, going to bed at reasonable hours, consistent exercise, and self care. Also I have pelvic floor issues.

Last week I had my first Pilates private instruction from about a month hiatus. She is helping me get more deep strength and use my abs and shoulders less. Apparently I compensate a lot with my neck and shoulders. I struggle with this class. The time to do it feels great, but the price doesn't, and I can feel like.. What am I doing here? It's not a lot of physical movement but more like pt. I usually doubt things that see expensive and all about me.

Tomorrow I go to a good pt about pelvic floor issues. I am dreading the appt. Just saying. I'm not in pain but things could be better.

Food: got into trader Joe's freezer section for a while with their frozen vegetables. That spring boarded me and I started cooking vegetables again! Today I cooked zucchini and bok choy.

Exercise: really miss endorphins of running. I have a membership to y. I dread going with the kids though. I need to decide on a plan and try. I did crack open my yoga book today and do a neck movement exercise.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Welcome!!! I hope your PT appt goes well. I'll give my situation as an anecdote- fwiw- I had some massive diastasis issues- I tried Tupler- didn't help long term and didn't get me very far, then I switched to MUTU- it finally got me some help and ab strength, slow and steady. It took awhile to build it up but I'm so glad I took the long road and did it right. There are still exercises that I switch or modify because I cannot keep proper form and it is not worth it to me to lose the progress I've made. I started w/ a local pilates/yoga place after doing the program and I told them that I had this issue and they said no problem they work with this, PTs send clients there, well, whatever they would try to get me to do things that were counterindicated, poses where I could feel separation occurring, nope, I did my own thing at my own speed and still do. So, if the PT is not hopeful I'd give MUTU a try, she goes on sale in JULY(nearly half-off) and it is a lot cheaper than private sessions.

Yesterday I met with the fitness coaches. I'm not any more optimistic about it than I was before. It sounds like I'm going to be spending a ton of time in the kitchen. He mentioned something about eating every 2.5-3 hours. It's really going to mess up my whole routine and I don't do well with that. I hated getting measurements done and before pictures too. Bleh...I signed up anyway (and it cost quite a bit more than I thought it would be). Mostly because my DH was so excited for me to do it. Probably a bad reason. I start on Monday. I really hope the actual plan is better than I'm expecting and that I can do it without being crabby about it for 12 weeks.

My eating is ok but not spectacular and I'm still failing at drinking water. I went to karate class today and it was a good, sweaty one. Tonight I walked with friends while our kids played ultimate frisbee. These are my favorite ways to workout. I'd go to karate and walk with friends every day if I could.

You know instead of just spending a bunch of time in the kitchen I would batch cook and buy pre-packaged when you could. If it is traditional bodybuilders food that should be easy- hard boil a bunch of eggs, buy chicken breast tenderloins(not breaded) bake a pan full, etc. I hope it goes ok, I'm not good at following others plans, unless I'm really committed! Awesome you got to go have fun and I think having your dh's support isn't the best reason to do something it isn't a bad reason, having support helps so much.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I finally did a nearly complete strength-training workout. (climbing  back onto the wagon after a light "get my toes in the water" workout last week.) Only did one set of squats--my knees and lower back didn't feel quite right so I didn't push it. Did everything else. Doing it on Tues allows the possibility of 3 strength-training workouts this week, which is the goal. 

I have lost so. much. strength in the weeks that I haven't done it. Went from being able to do 4 push-ups ; reduced squat weight by 25%.  I hate having to make up lost progress (like I hate having to re-lose pounds lost!) but it's getting back on the wagon that counts. At least the derailment was caused by illness and unrelated eye injury not by slacking off. But getting back on the wagon is always harder than staying on! 

Zumba tonight so cardio will be taken care of for today. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

Oh, bummer.  I'm sorry it's not going to be what you want.  I think you should feel free to dispense with the advice that doesn't work for you.  I've done that whole "eat every three hours" thing before and it was a total disaster for me:  belly bloat, weight gain, just all around icky and sluggish feeling.  I don't know why this advice gets touted so much.  Eating that often keeps your insulin levels chronically high, and maybe that's fine for bodybuilders, I don't know, but it's certainly not good for the vast majority of us!  There are some proven health benefits, not to mention weight loss benefits, to intermittent fasting.  But even if you don't want to do that, there's nothing at all wrong with the traditional "three square meals a day".  Do what works for YOU.

Yesterday, I finally did a nearly complete strength-training workout. (climbing  back onto the wagon after a light "get my toes in the water" workout last week.) Only did one set of squats--my knees and lower back didn't feel quite right so I didn't push it. Did everything else. Doing it on Tues allows the possibility of 3 strength-training workouts this week, which is the goal. 

I have lost so. much. strength in the weeks that I haven't done it. Went from being able to do 4 push-ups ; reduced squat weight by 25%.  I hate having to make up lost progress (like I hate having to re-lose pounds lost!) but it's getting back on the wagon that counts. At least the derailment was caused by illness and unrelated eye injury not by slacking off. But getting back on the wagon is always harder than staying on! 

Zumba tonight so cardio will be taken care of for today. 

I can imagine how discouraging that is, but I be you will gain your strength back faster than you gained it the first time!  Hang in there!  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Oh, bummer.  I'm sorry it's not going to be what you want.  I think you should feel free to dispense with the advice that doesn't work for you.  I've done that whole "eat every three hours" thing before and it was a total disaster for me:  belly bloat, weight gain, just all around icky and sluggish feeling.  I don't know why this advice gets touted so much.  Eating that often keeps your insulin levels chronically high, and maybe that's fine for bodybuilders, I don't know, but it's certainly not good for the vast majority of us!  There are some proven health benefits, not to mention weight loss benefits, to intermittent fasting.  But even if you don't want to do that, there's nothing at all wrong with the traditional "three square meals a day".  Do what works for YOU.

I can imagine how discouraging that is, but I be you will gain your strength back faster than you gained it the first time!  Hang in there!   :grouphug:

Though I am discouraged for the present, over time, I have learned that there WILL be set-backs. What matters is climbing back on the wagon afterward and not letting the disappointment derail me for a longer period of time. I've come to believe that success in making lifestyle changes is about moving forward consistently and part of the moving forward is in fact, getting up after a set-back and getting back on the wagon. That's why when I am doing health coaching, I have people make plans for set-backs before they happen because they will. So in a way I'm also encouraged because I have climbed back on the wagon. Maybe I'm only halfway over with my upper body in, butt sticking up, and feet still scrambling, but I'm on! ;) 

• Like 3

Though I am discouraged for the present, over time, I have learned that there WILL be set-backs. What matters is climbing back on the wagon afterward and not letting the disappointment derail me for a longer period of time. I've come to believe that success in making lifestyle changes is about moving forward consistently and part of the moving forward is in fact, getting up after a set-back and getting back on the wagon. That's why when I am doing health coaching, I have people make plans for set-backs before they happen because they will. So in a way I'm also encouraged because I have climbed back on the wagon. Maybe I'm only halfway over with my upper body in, butt sticking up, and feet still scrambling, but I'm on! ;)

This is a great perspective! Thank you for sharing it. I'm in the middle of a minor setback right now, nothing big, more like a slump. But it's still nice to hear. :)

• Like 1