Menu

Well Trained Bodies - May 2017

Granny_Weatherwax

Today is the end of one month and tomorrow ushers in a new month. How are you all doing?

This month has been crazy for me. With the depression, employment drama, two overnight round-trips by car to the East coast, and a concussion, I haven't been able to tell whether I am coming or going. I have managed to keep exercising to the best of my ability. This week was busy with tennis and long walks every day. Between Monday - Saturday I had over 130,000 steps registered on my Fitbit. I have been watching my eating but haven't lost any weight. I think my cortisol levels are the culprit but that's just supposition. I cannot contemplate why I'm not losing weight because it exacerbates my depression. Oh well, my spring employment ends in two weeks and my plan is to hyperfocus on diet and exercise for the next three months. I've been keeping an exercise journal and have been diligent about updating it daily (I enjoy flipping through the pages and seeing all of the exercise and activity add up). I've also been using the Fitbit again so I have that as backup proof for an active lifestyle.

Tennis - I had a great week of practice. I enjoyed daily play. My second USTA 4.0 team match was yesterday and my partner and I lost, 5-7, 4-6. Each set came down to one service break. This was the first match that let me see the differences between playing 3.5 and 4.0. I need more 4.0 playing time in order to work on strategy. I've got the strokes but not the experience and that lack of experience and the resulting hit to my confidence was tangible. I couldn't relax the entire match and that tightness hurt my serve (which is usually one of my strongest shots). It also didn't help that our opponents weren't friendly, quite standoffish really. They were the type to go huddle after every point and high five each other when we made an error (not just on their good shots, and it didn't help my confidence.

I am still proud that I put myself out there this January and found a new club and new players and am trying to fulfill my dream of being a 4.0 player. I know it's not much in the scheme of tennis but I've been nursing this desire since my 20's (when I first found out about USTA ratings). I plan on sticking with it as long as I can. 

I am not playing tennis today as it is raining here and I don't feel like driving to the cities to play on the indoor courts. Plus after 6 days of tennis, I think I should give my body a break, especially because I have another week of daily tennis beginning tomorrow. 

I have a singles match scheduled for tomorrow and then doubles every other day this week, culminating in another USTA 4.0 match on Saturday.

Today I finished reading a book, will take a long 6 mile walk, and then work on class materials for the final two weeks of school.

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 5

Scoutermom, truly you have done well. I would have gone into hard core simply-survival mode with all those challenges.

I didn't post last week, I don't believe, but I am hanging in there. Once again changed things up to try and move that seemingly stuck scale, with positive results.

• Like 5

Sorry you had such a difficult month, Scoutermom. You really had a lot on your plate, but here is to the better May!

It was really interesting to read about tennis. I never played it, and never was interested in it, but now that I "see" you and wintermom playing it, I am becoming interested, although only on intellectual level ;). I even googled the tennis levels, just to get an idea what you are talking about. I hope you can play more with nice 4.0 players. I found that high rated fencers can be either nice, or fall into one of the two less nice categories - either they don't make an effort most of the bout, and win at the last moment with minimal difference, which doesn't help me improve, or they try to bulldoze over me, which is not a problem in tennis, but in fencing it just plain hurts. Anyway, it's great that you have a goal. I found that I improved more since I decided to compete a couple of months ago than I did in the previous two years :) 

• Like 5

Quick post here massive flooding here, can't leave home and I have no wifi so I am on my phone. Last week kinda sucked. Too busy didn't feel good. Blah. Anyway, did some walking and finished week 3 of strength training. I feel better this week and stocked up on good good. Fingers crossed. Good food all day.

• Like 6

I've been walking 3 miles a night.  I want to add in weight training, so my goal this week is to schedule an appt with a trainer at the gym.  I need to strengthen my back and arms.  I also want to start my tai cheng program this week, as well.  I'm thinking tai cheng in the morning, weight training 4x a week, 3 mile walk daily.  

• Like 6

I haven't posted in a few weeks. Spraing my ankle threw my focus off and I haven't been exercising or eating well. Some friends and I went to our local homeschool convention this past weekend and we all realized (once again) how much we really need each other for support, encouragement, and accountability, not just in the area of homeschooling but also in other areas like health and fitness. So tomorrow we're are all getting back to our somewhat neglected plans to take the time to take care of ourselves. For me, that includes posting here.

My ankle is better but still swells daily so I'm going back to low impact workouts with a lower risk of re-injury. I'm planning on Ellen Barrett DVDs in the morning and walking in the afternoons. I've been back to karate too; I just try to be careful.

My eating plan is clean, whole foods, no sugar, limited dairy and grains, and tons of vegetables. At this point I crave sugar and other junk foods so the first few days back will probably be rough.

• Like 7

Thanks for starting us off this week/month, Scoutermom.  Sorry you've been going through so much, lets call them distractions, from your exercise, diet and fun goals. I hope things smooth over and continue to get better and better!

I've been playing at the 4.0 level for about 3 years, and probably won't go up to 4.5 ever. Doesn't mean I won't improve, but that jump from 4.0 to 4.5 seems much bigger than 3.5 to 40 for some reason. And as I've just turned 50 I don't expect my strength and endurance to increase a huge amount - I'm trying to hold steady on the physical side, and focus more on my strategy and technical skills - and decrease my unforced errors :laugh: . I really enjoy playing at this level, though. The matches are usually really fast and fun, and 90% of the people are nice and just want to play a good match. If you have a strong, supportive partner, you will be in a really good situation to learn and improve both your technical skills and your mental game/confidence. All the best on your journey, Scoutermom!

My goals this month is to keep up my level of fitness and strength I gained doing cross-country skiing this past winter. I'll be playing singles and doubles tennis, cycling, and hiking mostly. My spring competitive doubles tennis leagues will start up later in May (the winter league just ended), and I'll join the club mixed singles ladder as well. So until that time, I'll be playing with friends and dh and the dc. 

Food and diet will depend a little on my stomach issues, which have improved but are still present. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

Happy May Day! I woke up to birds singing, the sun peaking from behind puffy white clouds, and just a hint of a pale blue sky. 

My exercise plans today are: a 4.0 singles match and a long walk with the dog. Going to the cities to play 4.0 tennis takes up a 3 hour block of time (in good weather) so I have to make sure I can get up there in between classes and study groups.

I had a nice light breakfast (gf toast with honey walnut spread and a cup of chai made with unsweetened almond milk). I'll grab something light to eat in the car on the way to tennis later. I have a whole chicken going in the crockpot for dinner.

I am beginning my No Sugar May challenge today. I'm also going to go back to my 80 ounces of water a day. I do well for a bit and then it tapers off, usually when I'm stressed and want hot chocolate or chai as comfort beverages.

I calculated my step total for my work place 28 day step challenge. I am just over 309000 steps for the first 21 days. I'm pleased since I also had the concussion during this time and made two long car trips. My goal is to hit 450,000 so I have to keep moving this week. I have tennis everyday this week as I prepare for another 4.0 match on Saturday. I wish there were some 4.0 players in my town so I could practice without having to drive every day.

• Like 5

Thanks for starting us off this week/month, Scoutermom.  Sorry you've been going through so much, lets call them distractions, from your exercise, diet and fun goals. I hope things smooth over and continue to get better and better!

I've been playing at the 4.0 level for about 3 years, and probably won't go up to 4.5 ever. Doesn't mean I won't improve, but that jump from 4.0 to 4.5 seems much bigger than 3.5 to 40 for some reason. And as I've just turned 50 I don't expect my strength and endurance to increase a huge amount - I'm trying to hold steady on the physical side, and focus more on my strategy and technical skills - and decrease my unforced errors :laugh: . I really enjoy playing at this level, though. The matches are usually really fast and fun, and 90% of the people are nice and just want to play a good match. If you have a strong, supportive partner, you will be in a really good situation to learn and improve both your technical skills and your mental game/confidence. All the best on your journey, Scoutermom!

My goals this month is to keep up my level of fitness and strength I gained doing cross-country skiing this past winter. I'll be playing singles and doubles tennis, cycling, and hiking mostly. My spring competitive doubles tennis leagues will start up later in May (the winter league just ended), and I'll join the club mixed singles ladder as well. So until that time, I'll be playing with friends and dh and the dc. 

Food and diet will depend a little on my stomach issues, which have improved but are still present. 

Thank you for the encouragement.

I figured you were about the 4.0 level. It really is fun. I like that the balls come back more often and there are opportunities to have rallies and think through the points. 

I can't wait to hear about your tennis antics once your seasons start. Something tells me you don't sit down too often so I'm fairly certain you have nothing to worry about in keeping up your fitness level. :coolgleamA:

• Like 3

I haven't posted in a few weeks. Spraing my ankle threw my focus off and I haven't been exercising or eating well. Some friends and I went to our local homeschool convention this past weekend and we all realized (once again) how much we really need each other for support, encouragement, and accountability, not just in the area of homeschooling but also in other areas like health and fitness. So tomorrow we're are all getting back to our somewhat neglected plans to take the time to take care of ourselves. For me, that includes posting here.

My ankle is better but still swells daily so I'm going back to low impact workouts with a lower risk of re-injury. I'm planning on Ellen Barrett DVDs in the morning and walking in the afternoons. I've been back to karate too; I just try to be careful.

My eating plan is clean, whole foods, no sugar, limited dairy and grains, and tons of vegetables. At this point I crave sugar and other junk foods so the first few days back will probably be rough.

I hope your ankle continues to heal and you can get back to your planned activities.

I completely agree on the need to have support and community in most things, esp when it comes to exercise and fitness. I know when I am on my own it's too easy to say "just this once" or "I deserve that cup of cocoa/Cadbury Egg/ extra slice of pizza" or "I'll go walk in an hour or after dinner..." putting it off until I'm too tired to do anything.

I'm glad your including posting here as part of your plans. I appreciate this group more than I can say and, even though I haven't been posting much lately, I do read the thread and think about the women who do post.

• Like 3

Olga - I wanted to thank you for your encouragement in that last post you made in the previous thread.  I really appreciate it!  I'm not sure what to do.  I've always wanted to learn ballroom dancing, but you have to have a partner for that, and my hubby is not interested.  I've tried a few beginner dance videos at home (YouTube), and even those were really hard for me.  I'm so bad at it!  The videos teach you a sequence of movements at a slow pace for a few repetitions, like say four times, and then move on to a normal pace.  Apparently I would need to do it slow about 100 times before I could do it at the normal pace!  (Which, I suppose, is exactly what I should do!)  I know what I'm supposed to do, I just can't get my body to do it.  I have good form when I'm doing things that involve slow, controlled movements (weight-lifting, yoga, tai chi), but when I try to move faster it all falls apart!  Volleyball and tennis also look like they would be so much fun, but I can't really imagine finding people who would be willing to play with an uncoordinated 43 year old beginner!  :D  Well, anyway, have fun in France!!!  That sounds well worth missing a few weeks of fencing, though I don't mean to sound dismissive of your concerns about losing the ground you gained.  That's just such an amazing experience, I'm sure it will be worth the sacrifice.  I love to travel, but rarely get to do it.  Enjoy it!

Scoutermom - you've been on my mind a lot regarding your concussion.  I've never had one, but it sounds pretty awful.  I hope you continue to recover well.  And it sounds like you are doing great on both the tennis and the walking! Also, I think a monthly thread is a great idea.

I know there are other people I need to respond to, and other comments to make.  But forgive me for cutting this short.  I woke up with an excruciating migraine today, and I just can't stand the pain of looking at this screen any longer.  Most of mine lately have been really mild, and I guess I had gotten pretty spoiled to that.  I wonder if Whole 30 is too low on carbs for me.   :crying:

I hope that everyone has a great week!

• Like 5

Greta - I'm so sorry to hear about your migraine. I hope it passes quickly.

So I have been a member of this board for a long time, but post infrequently. But I need this thread - I need the accountability and the support. I need to read about the ups and downs of others, to hear that people with very busy lives can still make time to exercise regularly, and can make healthy eating choices without sabotaging everything when things get stressful. So all of that to say, I'm going to try to post on this thread regularly.

This weekend my weight officially crossed over the line from normal to overweight - I have never weighed this much, non-pregnant, in my life. So I decided to do something about it. This morning, I finished week1, day 1 of Couch to 5k, and I really planned out my meals for the week. While not technically doing a Whole 30, I am going to cut out sugar, dairy, and grains. I feel like if I have a solid eating plan that includes snacks, I will be less likely to reach for the Coke and Gummi Bears that have been my go-to when I am stressed. I have decided that if stress hits, I will walk to the end of my street and back. So far, so good for today. One day at a time, right?!

(And I promise not all of my posts will be this long!)

• Like 10

Thank you for the encouragement.

I figured you were about the 4.0 level. It really is fun. I like that the balls come back more often and there are opportunities to have rallies and think through the points. 

I can't wait to hear about your tennis antics once your seasons start. Something tells me you don't sit down too often so I'm fairly certain you have nothing to worry about in keeping up your fitness level. :coolgleamA:

It's so fun to have a fellow tennis player here! I'll keep you updated on my tennis journey. Today, for example, at the most unlikely place, I found a new lady to play singles tennis with in the future. She saw me in all my tennis gear on Friday ordering a huge shawarma platter for my birthday. She mentioned she plays tennis and was looking for a place to play near her new home. I saw her again today when I ordered another shawarma platter for my son's birthday. I asked if she'd like to play tennis with me in my local area where she works. She gave me her number, and we'll arrange to play sometime soon when this crazy rain stops. So, it was a win-win with lots of yummy food now and some tennis in the future.  :laugh:  

• Like 3

Still no internet so responding by phone- strength training done. No walk cool and windy, tomorrow is supposed to be warmer but super windy so I may or may not get one then. Finally started back with short am yoga routine.

• Like 3

Today was a good healthy eating and exercise day. I ate really well and the kids and I walked 3 miles with the kids this afternoon. I was planning on just 1.5 miles but the two youngest were on bikes and wanted to do the whole block (rural block around farms) so we did. Tomorrow morning is karate. One of my diet goals is to eat vegetables with each meal. I achieved that today and have some ready for breakfast tomorrow. Tomorrow I need to drink a little more water. I'm only at 40oz for today. I'll try to get in another 8oz before I go to bed but I'm still short of the goal there.

• Like 5

Greta - I'm so sorry to hear about your migraine. I hope it passes quickly.

So I have been a member of this board for a long time, but post infrequently. But I need this thread - I need the accountability and the support. I need to read about the ups and downs of others, to hear that people with very busy lives can still make time to exercise regularly, and can make healthy eating choices without sabotaging everything when things get stressful. So all of that to say, I'm going to try to post on this thread regularly.

This weekend my weight officially crossed over the line from normal to overweight - I have never weighed this much, non-pregnant, in my life. So I decided to do something about it. This morning, I finished week1, day 1 of Couch to 5k, and I really planned out my meals for the week. While not technically doing a Whole 30, I am going to cut out sugar, dairy, and grains. I feel like if I have a solid eating plan that includes snacks, I will be less likely to reach for the Coke and Gummi Bears that have been my go-to when I am stressed. I have decided that if stress hits, I will walk to the end of my street and back. So far, so good for today. One day at a time, right?!

(And I promise not all of my posts will be this long!)

Welcome!  Your plan is a great start to reach your goals.  Please keep posting here.  I just started posting for fun, but have been surprised at how much it has helped! I don't have any accountability IRL except for my dh and the members here are so encouraging.  

• Like 5

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yesterday went great and my eating was on point. I tried a recipe for "crack slaw" that was so delicious - ground beef, cabbage, coconut aminos in place of soy sauce, and a little sesame oil. I made a huge batch so will be eating that for a few days. Yum!

I also started a body-weight strength program, and am feeling it a little in my arms this morning, but in a good way.

Today is rainy and cold, so I may jump on our rowing machine and watch a show, or find a video I can do at home.

• Like 7

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yesterday went great and my eating was on point. I tried a recipe for "crack slaw" that was so delicious - ground beef, cabbage, coconut aminos in place of soy sauce, and a little sesame oil. I made a huge batch so will be eating that for a few days. Yum!

I also started a body-weight strength program, and am feeling it a little in my arms this morning, but in a good way.

Today is rainy and cold, so I may jump on our rowing machine and watch a show, or find a video I can do at home.

The crack slaw sounds a lot like the eggroll in a bowl.  I make that sometimes and really like it.  Just as a little warning... I ate it a lot in the beginning and the massive amounts of cabbage was bloating me a lot!  So it seemed like I wasn't making any progress. but it was just some major bloating.   :huh:

• Like 3

I have temporary internet, woot!

I've been reading but not able to really respond much as I suck at text typing.

Greta- sorry to hear about the migraines, I hope it isn't carb level :(

scoutermom- sorry to hear about your ongoing issues with your concussion. Good luck on your tennis matches.

wintermom- good luck figuring out your tummy issues.

welcome back 2nd gen and welcome PinkTulip!

Crack slaw sounds yummy right now, mmm!

---------------------------------------------------------------

morning yoga(short) done

bodyweight workout done

We went to the park and I walked around a smidge but I started feeling dizzy :( I'm still not feeling well, nauseous and dizzy, don't know why. Here's hoping it goes away. Food has been good.

• Like 2

Hi all :) End of the semester craziness here!

I've signed up for a May challenge at my gym--top three % body fat losers win cash! Of course, that means that I had to have that and my weight measured :eek: I am the heaviest I have ever been (non-pregnant) yet my clothes fit the same as they did 15 pounds ago. I guess I've gained a good deal of muscle from all the lifting.

So yesterday I took a boot camp class in the morning and a Pop Pilates class in the evening. Today was a HIIT w kettle bells class. Tomorrow will be a repeat of Monday with some heavy gardening in between the classes (I'm digging a new bed, approx 14' x 40' but kidney-shaped).

On Thursday D takes her last AP exam at a school an hour away. I hope the weather will be decent for me to walk while she's in the exam. I'll do more digging.

Friday's exercise plans are uncertain but will involve more digging lol

And Saturday will be a day off because I'll be too busy with other things.

• Like 6

I've been walking and hiking in between the rain and wind storms, but no tennis. I'm basically just waiting for the weather to improve.  :toetap05:   It was better with skiing, because I could still get out and ski in bad weather. I could get out more in the rain, but it's also 39F, and totally not fun. 

So, ladies, did you realize that exercise keeps the bowels regular?  :laugh:  Just another friendly public service announcement. Sitting around indoor trying to stay warm and dry has been murder for my bowels.

• Like 6

Go Luckymama! I hope you do well. Keep us updated on the challenge.

I've played tennis twice so far this week and took a long walk yesterday. I, too, am in the end-of-semester busyness and preparing for DD's graduation on Mother's Day so I have had to cancel a couple of matches. I am traveling out of town on Saturday for another USTA match. I'm looking forward to it.

I will be going on a 10 day (160 mile) backpacking trek at the end of the month and I find myself distracted by wanting to plan meals and pack. I'm going to begin wearing a loaded pack on my daily walks. 

• Like 4

walk is iffy as it is already raining, we'll see, ds is dying to get a good one in.

off day for bodyweight work but did some flow stuff- 30 min- not crazy hard but enough to get me sweating(not that it takes much for me)

the flow came as part of the bodyweight package I have been doing but I hadn't tried it yet, the focus is on building resiliency, motor control, flexibility and working those little muscles, tendons and ligaments that get neglected to help with injury prevention. You do moves individually and then put it together-

ass to grass squat to standing

sissy squat(on tip toes knees together to ground and up to standing)

cossack squat (side squat to ground back and forth)

plank walks

blade of hand walks

quadraped back circles

bear

monkey

frogger

duck walk

crab walk

peacock squat

Hi all :) End of the semester craziness here!

I've signed up for a May challenge at my gym--top three % body fat losers win cash! Of course, that means that I had to have that and my weight measured :eek: I am the heaviest I have ever been (non-pregnant) yet my clothes fit the same as they did 15 pounds ago. I guess I've gained a good deal of muscle from all the lifting.

So yesterday I took a boot camp class in the morning and a Pop Pilates class in the evening. Today was a HIIT w kettle bells class. Tomorrow will be a repeat of Monday with some heavy gardening in between the classes (I'm digging a new bed, approx 14' x 40' but kidney-shaped).

On Thursday D takes her last AP exam at a school an hour away. I hope the weather will be decent for me to walk while she's in the exam. I'll do more digging.

Friday's exercise plans are uncertain but will involve more digging lol

And Saturday will be a day off because I'll be too busy with other things.

The challenge sounds like good motivation.

re: weight and size and muscle

This trips me up. I know I have put on muscle(although not as much as I would like) but I also know I have put on fat as my clothes do not fit the same, especially my thighs. Geez. Since my last pregnancy, they have not been the same. Goal making is hard and I'm annoyed with my current size. I was losing weight steadily but have not lost any in a month, on the plus side I have done a good job of maintaining. I am also sleeping well, my energy has been up and down. Vanity shouldn't get to me BUT I have a 20yr HS reunion coming up, I can't say that it hasn't been on my mind, although I wish I was a bigger person than that!

• Like 4

I've been walking and hiking in between the rain and wind storms, but no tennis. I'm basically just waiting for the weather to improve.  :toetap05:   It was better with skiing, because I could still get out and ski in bad weather. I could get out more in the rain, but it's also 39F, and totally not fun. 

So, ladies, did you realize that exercise keeps the bowels regular?  :laugh:  Just another friendly public service announcement. Sitting around indoor trying to stay warm and dry has been murder for my bowels.

I hear you on the weather, lots of rain here although we are having days of gorgeous weather here and there. LOL, fyi magnesium helps too.

Go Luckymama! I hope you do well. Keep us updated on the challenge.

I've played tennis twice so far this week and took a long walk yesterday. I, too, am in the end-of-semester busyness and preparing for DD's graduation on Mother's Day so I have had to cancel a couple of matches. I am traveling out of town on Saturday for another USTA match. I'm looking forward to it.

I will be going on a 10 day (160 mile) backpacking trek at the end of the month and I find myself distracted by wanting to plan meals and pack. I'm going to begin wearing a loaded pack on my daily walks. 

Good luck on your match and your dd's Graduation.

The backpacking sounds great. I was just telling dh I'd like to plan a short trip but I don't think we can fit it in until the end of May/early June at the soonest we have something every other weekend. 

• Like 2

I hear you on the weather, lots of rain here although we are having days of gorgeous weather here and there. LOL, fyi magnesium helps too.

Coffee works wonders for me. Magnesium did nothing. Exercise is really good for me - almost too good. I've had a couple long runs where I had to visit the bush for a sudden #2.  :huh:

• Like 3

Do you mostly play singles, doubles or a bit of both?  Indoors or outdoors?  Why do you travel out of town for a match? Is it a special league/tournament, or just a way to play people outside your immediate area?  Good luck with the match! 

Have a great time on your backpacking trek! Do you have to carry all your own gear, or is there other transport for the tents, sleeping and food gear? 

I've been eating poorly this week but it hasn't really effected my weight which is nice. I haven't lost yet this week but I haven't gained any either! Did my cardio class on Monday and walked at the park on Tues. Tonight is another hour cardio class. Tomorrow I have to force myself to do a workout DVD.

• Like 5

I've been eating poorly this week but it hasn't really effected my weight which is nice. I haven't lost yet this week but I haven't gained any either! Did my cardio class on Monday and walked at the park on Tues. Tonight is another hour cardio class. Tomorrow I have to force myself to do a workout DVD.

• Like 1

This morning I finished week1 day 2 of my Couch to 5k. I could probably run for longer intervals, but my right knee thinks it doesn't like to run, so it's best for me to ease into it. I came home and did 30 minutes of body weight work.

My eating has been in point so far, which I am really pleased about. Just trying to take the no sugar, no grains, no dairy thing one day at a time.

Keep up the good work everyone! May is always the craziest month for me - why is it that every group, team, etc. feels compelled to have a recital, dinner, or closing social in May?! It's nuts!

• Like 5

Keep up the good work everyone! May is always the craziest month for me - why is it that every group, team, etc. feels compelled to have a recital, dinner, or closing social in May?! It's nuts!

Our anniversary is in May and we never get to celebrate because we always have stuff going on with the kids during that time.  I always joke with my own kids not to get married in May if they are going to have kids of their own because it's such a crazy time of the year!  

• Like 1

Do you mostly play singles, doubles or a bit of both? Both. There are no women in my town who can play singles at my level so I play mostly doubles in town. I've been traveling an hour away a couple of times each week to play both singles and doubles in the cities.  Indoors or outdoors?  Both. The indoor season is winding down here (at the end of May) but I play outside whenever it's above 40 degrees and dry. It's cheaper that way. :) All of my playing in the cities has been indoors through the tennis club.Why do you travel out of town for a match? Because I live in an area of the country where USTA tennis is on the decline and traveling is necessary, esp at the 4.0 level and above, if anyone wants to play team tennis. This weekend's match is 3 hours away. Is it a special league/tournament, or just a way to play people outside your immediate area? It's a team match. It's the last match of the regular season and my last chance to qualify for state and bump up my rating. Good luck with the match! Thank you. There is a good possibility I will play singles.

Have a great time on your backpacking trek! Do you have to carry all your own gear, or is there other transport for the tents, sleeping and food gear? 

I'll be carrying everything with one resupply midway.  I'm hoping to keep my pack under 30 pounds. I purchased quite a bit of top notch gear when I was training for the Appalachian Trail so most of the gear is lightweight. My DH is going with me and we're sharing my tent and a few other supplies. That should help a bit with keeping the weight down. This will be the first time he has backpacked with me. Where we're going has a snake migration at the end of May and he's hoping to be on the trail at the right time to see the migration.  Me, not so much.

I loaded my pack to about 25# and wore it on a 5 mile walk this afternoon. I'm glad I did; my body forgot all of its AT training.  :0

• Like 4

<snip>

The backpacking sounds great. I was just telling dh I'd like to plan a short trip but I don't think we can fit it in until the end of May/early June at the soonest we have something every other weekend. 

It's not ideal for us but we have to do it now. DH's employer does vacation times in a strange seniority lottery and DH's name was drawn for the last few days in May and the first few days of June. His next vacation isn't until the end of October with a final week in Nov. 

I'm hoping to get in a couple of other backpacking trips this summer, even if I have to go solo or beg others to go with me for quick overnights.  :D

I hope you can find the time to get in a few trips.

• Like 2

Just finished reading all the updates. This is such a crazy time of year! Glad everyone is hanging in there.

I'm in my second week of strict calorie counting and lighter exercise, and the scale is moving down nicely again, thank goodness. The exercise is the P90X stretch dvd, some added sets of burpees and ab work, and a 90 min hike with the dog.

• Like 6

Welcome, PinkTulip!

Monday's migraine got even worse after I posted. (And thank you all for the well wishes that day!) It was one of those crying in the fetal position and praying for unconsciousness kind of migraines. I hadn't had one of those in quite a long time, so it does make me wonder if it's something about Whole 30 that triggered it. But it could also be coincidence so I'm not giving up just yet! I'm actually really enjoying the foods that you're allowed on the diet. And I was so hopeful that reducing inflammatory foods would decrease the migraines! :-(

Needless to say, didn't make it to the gym on Monday! Didn't go Tuesday either, because I was so busy doing all the things I didn't do on Monday. But finally made it back today. Just did cardio.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

• Like 3

Welcome, PinkTulip!

Monday's migraine got even worse after I posted. (And thank you all for the well wishes that day!) It was one of those crying in the fetal position and praying for unconsciousness kind of migraines. I hadn't had one of those in quite a long time, so it does make me wonder if it's something about Whole 30 that triggered it. But it could also be coincidence so I'm not giving up just yet! I'm actually really enjoying the foods that you're allowed on the diet. And I was so hopeful that reducing inflammatory foods would decrease the migraines! :-(

Needless to say, didn't make it to the gym on Monday! Didn't go Tuesday either, because I was so busy doing all the things I didn't do on Monday. But finally made it back today. Just did cardio.

Greta, that sounds horrible! I'm sorry that you had to experience that. Ă°Å¸â„¢

• Like 2

Welcome, PinkTulip!

Your migraines sound horrific!  I can't imagine going through something like that once and you have them regularly.  I'm so sorry!  

Exercising has been good.  Eating mostly good.  The scale showed a two pound gain last week even though I didn't change anything with eating/exercising and I've maintained for months so that freaked me out a bit - especially with an event this weekend where I can't exercise/eat right and then vacation right after that.  

• Like 2

Soutermom - Thanks for answering my flurry of questions!  That's too bad you have to travel around so much to play decent tennis. I didn't realize how fortunate I am in my city. I have 2 clubs within a 10 minute bike ride where I can find men and women my level to play singles and doubles.  Also, there are two indoor centres to play winter tennis without having to become a member. I can choose hard court or clay. It's awesome!  :D   The hiking sounds great for you. That's wonderful your dh is coming along to share the experience and the load!  :laugh:

Dh and I played some singles tennis this evening. It started out pretty rough with the wind, but we ended up having some really great rallies and hard hits. It felt so good to get back doing some intense activity!  :hurray:

• Like 3

Just did gardening and cleaning Mon & Tues. (I should have also exercised. Just being honest.) 

Today was Zumba and I finally, finally also did a get-back-on-the-wagon really light strength workout--1 set with light weights. The idea was to just go through the motions, kinda literally, but enough to hopefully get me going again. I will be traveling this weekend again so will have to do another strength-training without weights. Next week, I can start back with the whole shebang. I hate to go backwards, but I will have to build back up after the illness, eye issue, and then inertia. Getting back on the wagon is the most important thing. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 5

Yesterday was a good eating day and a good exercise day. I went to karate class and walked 3 miles.

Today was an ok eating day but no exercise. I just didn't eat enough today. My DH has been trying to help me with an eating plan and customized my tracking app for me. I couldn't figure out how to eat enough calories with so little carbs and fat and so much protein. I ended up way short on protein and only ate about 1,000 calories. I don't have time to figure that out (and I don't think fat is evil) so I don't think I'll be sticking with it.

• Like 5

Thank you all so much for the kind sympathy regarding the migraines. I had a great day today, so I'm feeling more optimistic! Busy day, though. Didn't get in a workout, so maybe I can make up for it this weekend.

• Like 2

Dh and I played some really good tennis tonight. We warmed up with friends, which was excellent. He's a 5.0 player and hits hard. It was so fun to smack the ball around with him - it just ups the level of play right away. Then dh and I played a great set of singles together. We ended up with a 30 min doubles game with some pretty decent players, and the rallies were great. 

• Like 3

I set my alarm with the intention of getting out for a decent walk with the dog.

What happened was I woke up about 45 minutes before the alarm went off because I had to pee. Really??

I did not get out for that walk. Too tired. However, I did take the dog for a short walk instead of just taking her out to

the yard like I usually do. So there's that. 

• Like 3

I set my alarm with the intention of getting out for a decent walk with the dog.

What happened was I woke up about 45 minutes before the alarm went off because I had to pee. Really??

I did not get out for that walk. Too tired. However, I did take the dog for a short walk instead of just taking her out to

the yard like I usually do. So there's that. 

I woke up early yesterday myself, blah.

I did end up getting my strength workout done and short yoga done in the am. No walking it was nasty.  Today I did my class. Kicked my butt hard. I finally made it through 5 days of work-outs this week, woot! Just walking, yard work and chilling planned for the weekend. I've got 4 wks of my workout plan left, I hope to actually get it done in 4 wks.

• Like 3