Menu

When what you say (words) isn't what you wanted to say

creekland

Is there a way to work to fix this - something to sharpen the brain or have it practice or something - literally saying the wrong word for what I mean to say (or think I'm saying)?

Hubby (very nicely) mentioned this morning that it's becoming far more common in my speech than it used to, and it was already bad enough that my inner circle and classes at school have been warned about it.  (If something seems wrong, ask about it or just insert the correct word if it's obvious.)

Examples would be saying weeks instead of hours, lawn mower instead of rototiller, plate instead of glass, desk instead of chair, etc, etc, etc.  It's a daily problem (usually multiple times per day).  Sometimes I catch myself.  Many times I don't - and sometimes don't recall it even after others mention it.

It's annoying and I'd love to be able to fix it - or at least make it better - if possible.  I certainly don't want it continuing to get worse.

It all started with radiation (3 years ago), and instead of getting better after time as I was told... (sigh)

yes there is something in the brain.  how I'm doing with my thyroid/adrenal tx affects how much.

it's a brain fog, like it's skipping instead of running smoothly.  or trying to find something in a file box . . .

eta: yesterday - I said onions instead of lemons . . . .

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

yes there is something in the brain.  how I'm doing with my thyroid/adrenal tx affects how much.

it's a brain fog, like it's skipping instead of running smoothly.  or trying to find something in a file box . . .

eta: yesterday - I said onions instead of lemons . . . .

No doubt it's in the brain - and yes - exactly like you mentioned with word switching.  I'm wondering if there's a fix of some sort (Vitamins? Coconut Oil?) - or brain exercises, etc.

My whole brain isn't going to mush (fortunately!).  A lot of my older and "older recent" memories are gone or fuzzy, but other than that and the word switching, it's working quite well - based upon Lumosity scoring - still in Top 1% among ALL users - not just my age group - for Problem Solving (really special to me considering there are oodles of Top college students who also play those games). :party: 

Of course, it's now hit or miss as to whether I can TELL anyone the correct way to solve their problem.   :lol:  :mad:

This is one of the issues my doc has me rate on a scale of 1 - 5 at each visit. I have many health issues so it's hard to tease out what causes which symptom, but (once we'd treated the underlying brain infection that prompted this all from the start), addressing adrenals and thyroid has been most helpful. So, I went from a constant 5 to a 2 - 3. Then we did thyroid and that gave me an improvement to about a 1 - 2. Finding out about and addressing the adrenal issues brought me to occasional issues, but not even daily. I also have a type of hypercoagulation, and treating that has made flare ups even less frequent.

So, I think there can be many causes, and fixing it can be a bit like peeling an onion.

• Like 1

This is one of the issues my doc has me rate on a scale of 1 - 5 at each visit. I have many health issues so it's hard to tease out what causes which symptom, but (once we'd treated the underlying brain infection that prompted this all from the start), addressing adrenals and thyroid has been most helpful. So, I went from a constant 5 to a 2 - 3. Then we did thyroid and that gave me an improvement to about a 1 - 2. Finding out about and addressing the adrenal issues brought me to occasional issues, but not even daily. I also have a type of hypercoagulation, and treating that has made flare ups even less frequent.

So, I think there can be many causes, and fixing it can be a bit like peeling an onion.

That doesn't sound promising, esp since docs are pretty sure I have nothing wrong (other than stress) and I gave up on them about a year ago (aside from anything totally obvious like wounds).  I did get my thyroid tested earlier this year (Free T's, etc) and that turned out fine, so shouldn't be it.

Eliminating doctor visits has definitely helped eliminate stress.  Now if only the health issues would go away rather than progressing.  (sigh)

Maybe tomorrow I'll do some google searching to see if there are adrenal gland tests I can get done - just to check out that route myself.

I'll have to google hypercoagulation too.  I'd do it now, but my computer time is essentially done for a bit.  We have a benefit dinner we're heading to this evening.

Thanks a ton for the leads!  I'm sure you understand how frustrating it is, esp when it keeps happening.

• Like 1

I do this!  And I'm not "old."  For me it seems affected by my sleep and by my general level of distraction.  Am I thinking about 7 different things or 2?  How many plates am I spinning this week/month?  Am I being present more or less often?  That sort of thing.  And for me the wrong word is typically either the thing I'm looking at or a word I just heard.  No answers, just commiseration!

• Like 5

For me its vit D and the B vitamins combined with no folic acid containing foods. The good news is that the memory is not lost, the ability to retreive returns. If you aren't eating well, a supplement may help.

Lack of sleep, stress...can all prompt issues with word retrieval. As can aging.

I think all you can do, really, is get enough sleep, reduce the stress, and make sure your lifestyle includes plenty of exercise and dealing with any high blood pressure.

The good news is that mild age related cognitive impairment mostly doesn't progress to anything more disabling.

I would seek medical advice if the issue progressed. Probably not for just noun substitution.

You could add in fish oil supplements, and take up the crossword, if that would make you feel like you were being proactive.

I don't substitute nouns, but I've had difficulty retrieving nouns ever since my first child was born. 'Spoon' is sometimes 'the round shiny thing you eat with'. It doesn't affect anything other than nouns, and waxes and wanes depending on sleep and stress, so I don't worry about it too much. I do keep an eye on it though.

Noun retrieval is an issue for me too the older I get, especially when I'm tired or stressed. Sometimes names too. I don't usually substitute words. It's more like "Whosie" or "that thingy." Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 1

It's late and rather than explain, I'll trust you have Google foo powers. Look up scholarly articles for DMAE and the aging brain. Here is a quick Dr Weil essay to get you going:

https://www.drweil.com/vitamins-supplements-herbs/supplements-remedies/dmae-for-better-brainpower/

Dmae is avail over the counter and is a precursor acetylcholine. Many drugs including seemingly safe antihistamines (Benadryl) and antiacids (Tagamet, I believe) rob the brain of a acytylcholine, which can exacerbate signs aging or even symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.

• Like 1

I don't substitute nouns, but I've had difficulty retrieving nouns ever since my first child was born. 'Spoon' is sometimes 'the round shiny thing you eat with'. It doesn't affect anything other than nouns, and waxes and wanes depending on sleep and stress, so I don't worry about it too much. I do keep an eye on it though.

I am so thankful for this post! The past 6 months or so I have been doing this. Replacing or completely forgetting simple, common words. It usually happens when I am stretched thin or trying to talk to more than one family member at the same time - but it's a bit alarming to go searching for a word and *know* that I know it... but can't find it! Like I simply sat it down in the wrong spot or something!

It's a relief to see that it happens to others as well. Now I'm gonna tell my family that it's a real thing that happens and to stop teasing me when it happens. 🙄

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 1

I do that too, rather often.

I often say the exact opposite of what I mean.  For example, "man it's cold out" when I mean it's hot.  Crazy.

Other times I just insert some word that makes no sense.  Sometimes this happens with typing also.  It sounds similar or was relevant to some other thing I was thinking about around the same time.

And then there are those many times when I can't remember a common word, and so I stand there looking like an idiot.  :P

I started to notice the "opposite" substitution maybe about 5 years ago.  The other stuff I've noticed more recently.  It could have been going on longer though.  :P

Decades ago, I used to take vitamin E because I heard it could improve memory / slow memory loss.  Then I heard something bad about vitamin E, so I stopped that.  I've heard of all sorts of superfoods etc. that are supposed to improve mental function, but I haven't done serious research nor tried anything.

• Like 1

I did this all the time while my husband was sick and for a few years after he died. I'm guessing it was stress and doing too many things at once. It eventually got better or went away. I think it happens some, but no clue the last time. Now, I'm going to think all night about when it last happened and whether it was just nouns.

• Like 1

Small child. Sorry!

Of course, this morning this post has me thinking:

toddler?

tot?

lad?

lass?

kiddie?

And any other synonym I can come up with.   :lol:

Lack of sleep, stress...can all prompt issues with word retrieval. As can aging.

I think all you can do, really, is get enough sleep, reduce the stress, and make sure your lifestyle includes plenty of exercise and dealing with any high blood pressure.

The good news is that mild age related cognitive impairment mostly doesn't progress to anything more disabling.

I would seek medical advice if the issue progressed. Probably not for just noun substitution.

You could add in fish oil supplements, and take up the crossword, if that would make you feel like you were being proactive.

I definitely have retrieval issues too, but I never thought those were connected really.  It seems many in my age group have that issue.  Like you, we'll describe things until one of us comes up with the word - much like some of those popular group games.  :coolgleamA:

For me its vit D and the B vitamins combined with no folic acid containing foods. The good news is that the memory is not lost, the ability to retreive returns. If you aren't eating well, a supplement may help. Is there anything else going on, perhaps dropping more things than usual?

I definitely drop (light) things a couple of times per day, but again, never thought there might be a connection.  I just figured I wasn't paying enough attention or just fumbled around a bit - not getting a good grasp - pens, papers, small food items, etc.  When I pay attention to what I'm doing, I don't have that problem.

Ok, I have to share: earlier this evening, I said to DH, "oops! I left the vacuum cleaner in the yard!"

I was serious.

I meant the lawn mower. :D

Made me think of this thread.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  I'm mainly getting a little concerned due to hubby politely asking if it was ok to talk about because he's noticed it happening a lot more lately than before.

It's late and rather than explain, I'll trust you have Google foo powers. Look up scholarly articles for DMAE and the aging brain. Here is a quick Dr Weil essay to get you going:

https://www.drweil.com/vitamins-supplements-herbs/supplements-remedies/dmae-for-better-brainpower/

Dmae is avail over the counter and is a precursor acetylcholine. Many drugs including seemingly safe antihistamines (Benadryl) and antiacids (Tagamet, I believe) rob the brain of a acytylcholine, which can exacerbate signs aging or even symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.

Thanks for the link.  I haven't read it yet (leaving for church in 20 minutes), but definitely will this afternoon.  The only things I take are a multi-vitamin and turmeric daily, iron every other day (recently added, so could be the culprit I suppose), and ibuprofen a few times per week as needed for headaches or back issues, but I'm willing to consider any source/option for fixing.

Decades ago, I used to take vitamin E because I heard it could improve memory / slow memory loss.  Then I heard something bad about vitamin E, so I stopped that.  I've heard of all sorts of superfoods etc. that are supposed to improve mental function, but I haven't done serious research nor tried anything.

The only things I do to keep the brain working are "exercises," - brain games of various sorts from card games to crosswords to Lumosity (online brain stuff) tasks.  Then we try to get regular basic exercise - mainly in the form of walking.  I'm content with all my Lumosity scores (which compare to age group), so I don't think my mind is going.  It's just this one thing - well - and losing older and middle memories, but I don't think I can do anything about that, like almost totally forgetting a show we watched a couple of weeks/months ago or totally forgetting some things from a year ago or more - remembering only dusty high points of other things.  Fortunately, hubby and/or my kids can fill me in on many of those and others I gave up caring about.

• Like 1

I did this all the time while my husband was sick and for a few years after he died. I'm guessing it was stress and doing too many things at once. It eventually got better or went away. I think it happens some, but no clue the last time. Now, I'm going to think all night about when it last happened and whether it was just nouns.

Glad to hear it can go away!  I'm not sure it's just nouns either.  I'll try to pay more attention now that it's on my radar to think about.  Nouns are certainly most common, but I'd venture to guess I've mixed up verbs too.

Funny you mentioned coconut oil. I know an attorney who has a spoonful each day. If he doesn't, he has brain fog.

I was going to suggest fish oil and/or coconut oil. I didn't know you had radiation.  :grouphug:  I would still try the oils. 

If it's any consolation, I just completely blank out on the word and my family fills in the blank. Yesterday it was the word bag. I try to play it off w/ humor. When it came to me, I said, "I know! I know! Bag. One syllable. Three letters. BAG!" Sometimes I wonder if it's old age or the mercury fillings. 

I also open the cabinet to the right of the fridge when I meant to open the right door of the fridge. Not often, but enough to embarrass myself. I think what I miss most of all is walking into a room and remembering what I went there to get. Sometimes I nail it, but often, not. 

I have both fish oil and coconut oil. I think I'll have some this morning!

• Like 1

I would suggest several things: 1) Consult a speech and language pathologist about whether they can help with word retrieval problems. If there are specific brain exercises that can help, they would know them. 

2) Increase your physical exercise. A  meta-analysis of the impact of various exercise on cognition was published recently. Overall cognitive functioning is affected by aerobic exercise that is moderate to vigorous (moderate 55-69% of max heart rate/vigorous 70+%) for a duration of 45-60 min is the sweet spot. Less time or more time or less exertion didn't have the same impact (they had some.) Resistance training was good for memory, working memory, and executive function. There is tons of research on the impact of exercise on the brain. 

3) Check your Vit D and B12 levels. If they are low, they can affect cognition. 

4) Eat a diet that emphasizes greens, berries (particularly blueberries), other veges and fruits, Omega-3 fish, nuts, olive oil, and a few whole grains. A couple eggs a day gets you to half of your choline needs. Cut back on meats. Avoid processed foods and sugar. 

5) Get enough sleep. 

6) Avoid anticholinergic drugs such as Benadryl, stomach acid reducers, etc. (You can google for a list. The Beers List is put out by the American Geriatric Association and has a section that lists any drugs that impact cognition.

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 4

I definitely drop (light) things a couple of times per day, but again, never thought there might be a connection. I just figured I wasn't paying enough attention or just fumbled around a bit - not getting a good grasp - pens, papers, small food items, etc. When I pay attention to what I'm doing, I don't have that problem.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm mainly getting a little concerned due to hubby politely asking if it was ok to talk about because he's noticed it happening a lot more lately than before.

Thanks for the link. I haven't read it yet (leaving for church in 20 minutes), but definitely will this afternoon. The only things I take are a multi-vitamin and turmeric daily, iron every other day (recently added, so could be the culprit I suppose), and ibuprofen

The dropping is likely related to B12 level, its also brain chem. Definitely get B12 and D checked...B12 lower limit in US is set for survival not thrive, my doctor uses Japanese limits. D lower range may be too low for you personally; I feel much better at 70 than 35. My b12 level got my attention after anesthesia fogged me, apparently nitrous oxide depletes b12 and methylcobalamin form of b12 is the way to replace.

http://wholehealthchicago.com/2012/05/14/six-commonly-missed-diagnoses-b12-deficiency/ keep in mind that folate and folic acid are not the same. Your body has to convert folic acid. You may be overwhelming your body with folic acid from multivitamin plus enriched food products; you would be better off getting your folate from real food such as leafy greens.

Edited by Heigh Ho

Do you ever play those word games on the computer or your phone? The ones where you get a bunch of letters and you have to find 2, 3, 4, 5 letter words. There are lots of other word retrieval and word games to play around with. These could be great for brain exercises.

Regular, vigorous exercise

Getting outdoors and into nature - smelling the trees, listening to the birds

Listening or playing music, particularly classical music

Relaxation/meditation

Reading a mix of fiction and non-fiction to keep your vocabulary fresh in your mind in a visual way

Listen to audio-books to re-fresh vocabulary in an auditory way

Good nutritional diet

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I appreciate this thread because I have been doing more and more noun substitutions as well. I have done it a bit my whole life, but it is definitely worse than it used to be.

Years ago I read that this is fairly common in women, especially women around menopause age. It even had a name, but I can't remember what it was, lol. I choose not too worry about it too much. I agree with an above poster that it happens more frequently with a busy mind.

• Like 1

Funny you mentioned coconut oil. I know an attorney who has a spoonful each day. If he doesn't, he has brain fog.

I was going to suggest fish oil and/or coconut oil. I didn't know you had radiation.  :grouphug:  I would still try the oils. 

If it's any consolation, I just completely blank out on the word and my family fills in the blank. Yesterday it was the word bag. I try to play it off w/ humor. When it came to me, I said, "I know! I know! Bag. One syllable. Three letters. BAG!" Sometimes I wonder if it's old age or the mercury fillings. 

I also open the cabinet to the right of the fridge when I meant to open the right door of the fridge. Not often, but enough to embarrass myself. I think what I miss most of all is walking into a room and remembering what I went there to get. Sometimes I nail it, but often, not. 

I have both fish oil and coconut oil. I think I'll have some this morning!

I think I might try coconut oil again.  Hubby and I both did back shortly after my radiation days.  I can't say I noticed a difference.  His "bad" numbers (cholesterol, trigs) went up a bit and quickly (within 6 months).  We discontinued it.  We used to eat more salmon - practically weekly - but haven't in a while due to oodles of travels (mostly for extended family health or college things).  That's something I'll see if we can get back to as well, but it'll be tough.  We're gone more than we're home for the month of May - and extended family doesn't like salmon - only fried fish as in fish & chips.  Where we get it from, that's haddock.  I'm not sure frying helps either.

I got a chuckle out of the going into a room and forgetting what you went there for.  Unfortunately, that's very common among my IRL similar or older aged friends/family.

Fortunately, there's also a Studio C skit about it...  :lol:

I would suggest several things: 1) Consult a speech and language pathologist about whether they can help with word retrieval problems. If there are specific brain exercises that can help, they would know them. 

2) Increase your physical exercise. A  meta-analysis of the impact of various exercise on cognition was published recently. Overall cognitive functioning is affected by aerobic exercise that is moderate to vigorous (moderate 55-69% of max heart rate/vigorous 70+%) for a duration of 45-60 min is the sweet spot. Less time or more time or less exertion didn't have the same impact (they had some.) Resistance training was good for memory, working memory, and executive function. There is tons of research on the impact of exercise on the brain. 

3) Check your Vit D and B12 levels. If they are low, they can affect cognition. 

4) Eat a diet that emphasizes greens, berries (particularly blueberries), other veges and fruits, Omega-3 fish, nuts, olive oil, and a few whole grains. A couple eggs a day gets you to half of your choline needs. Cut back on meats. Avoid processed foods and sugar. 

5) Get enough sleep. 

6) Avoid anticholinergic drugs such as Benadryl, stomach acid reducers, etc. (You can google for a list. The Beers List is put out by the American Geriatric Association and has a section that lists any drugs that impact cognition.

Increasing physical exercise beyond moderate (3mph walking) is something I'm pretty sure I don't have the lung capacity for any longer.  Even on regular everyday - sometimes multiple times per day - walks, I get winded doing small hills - or in our house, basement to second floor can do it too.

Eons ago I was kicked out of the AF due to "asthma."  If I recall correctly, they said I only had about 67% of average lung capacity for my age and they warned me it would get worse with age.  I've never had asthma issues nor has any other doctor ever heard it listening to my lungs.  However, at a health fair - one of those "do it yourself blow into a tube to see how your lungs are" tests showed my lungs were about on par with someone in their mid 60s.  I'm 49.  I've no clue what the deal is, but I doubt picking up more vigorous exercise is in my future.  (All other tests at that health fair were fine.)

I will try to get my diet back to being a little better.  With traveling as much as we've done since Oct, that's not easy.

Sleep has increased quite a bit lately.  I've been far more tired than before - probably due to stress and traveling, etc, so I'm not too worried about that except I wish it affected others as much as it does me.  I suppose I connect it to the lung capacity deal - perhaps not getting enough oxygen or something.  My heart rate tends to be on the low side too - mid 50s to low 60 sitting, upper 60s lying down.  It'll go up to 100+ pretty easily working in the garden or on our walks though, so it's not always low.  I actually can't stay still for too long (sitting or lying down) or my body gets really painful in various places.

I don't take any of the meds on the "bad" list.

The dropping is likely related to B12 level, its also brain chem. Definitely get B12 and D checked...B12 lower limit in US is set for survival not thrive, my doctor uses Japanese limits. D lower range may be too low for you personally; I feel much better at 70 than 35. My b12 level got my attention after anesthesia fogged me, apparently nitrous oxide depletes b12 and methylcobalamin form of b12 is the way to replace.

http://wholehealthchicago.com/2012/05/14/six-commonly-missed-diagnoses-b12-deficiency/ keep in mind that folate and folic acid are not the same. Your body has to convert folic acid. You may be overwhelming your body with folic acid from multivitamin plus enriched food products; you would be better off getting your folate from real food such as leafy greens.

B12 is probably worth checking on.  Thanks for the link!

I appreciate this thread because I have been doing more and more noun substitutions as well. I have done it a bit my whole life, but it is definitely worse than it used to be.

Years ago I read that this is fairly common in women, especially women around menopause age. It even had a name, but I can't remember what it was, lol. I choose not too worry about it too much. I agree with an above poster that it happens more frequently with a busy mind.

And maybe it is all merely menopause.  Definitely a possibility. (As is stress from everything going on.)  I still want to see if I can do anything to combat it diet or mental exercise-wise.  I prefer more healthy living when possible.

Hmm, Dr Weil says:

"DMAE may be safe, but I currently see no evidence that taking it will do anyone any good.

Andrew Weil, M.D."   :confused1:

• Like 2

First off -  :grouphug:

I know how frustrating it can be since I do this with increasing frequency as well. I have had to backtrack in lecture and say "Wait, that's not what I meant." It has become problematic a few times as teaching stats requires specific formulas or variables and I have said the wrong thing, students write it in their notes, then get the homework problems incorrect. And it's my fault. :banghead:  I now go over my powerpoints and lecture notes multiple times, days in advance. I tell them to follow what I wrote and not necessarily what I say or to ask questions if they think I said something obviously incorrect.

I attribute the problem to stress and general brain fog. I'm currently reading a book called Lyme Brain to see if there might be a correlation there. Then again, Fibromyalgia also has brain fog as a symptom. Some days I feel doomed. :001_unsure:

• Like 1

<snip> Avoid processed foods and sugar. 

5) Get enough sleep. 

<snip>

These two!

I have noticed a correlation between how much sugar I eat and brain issues. I am going to do another sugar free challenge for May to see if the correlation does exist or if it's just wishful thinking.

I haven't been sleeping well lately; sometimes only 3 hours a night. I wake up with so many thoughts running through my head that I can't get back to sleep. I know that the lack of rest makes me loopy which I try to correct with copious amounts of chai (caffeine) and sugar (recently Cadbury Eggs thanks to one kind student who gifted me with a case).

• Like 1

First off -  :grouphug:

I know how frustrating it can be since I do this with increasing frequency as well. I have had to backtrack in lecture and say "Wait, that's not what I meant." It has become problematic a few times as teaching stats requires specific formulas or variables and I have said the wrong thing, students write it in their notes, then get the homework problems incorrect. And it's my fault. :banghead:  I now go over my powerpoints and lecture notes multiple times, days in advance. I tell them to follow what I wrote and not necessarily what I say or to ask questions if they think I said something obviously incorrect.

I attribute the problem to stress and general brain fog. I'm currently reading a book called Lyme Brain to see if there might be a correlation there. Then again, Fibromyalgia also has brain fog as a symptom. Some days I feel doomed. :001_unsure:

My "liking" your post was for the contributing - sharing - not because I'm happy for you!

Also... I've cut way back on teaching myself for the same reason - though when speaking to others IRL I blame it on other things.  Next year I'm not sure I'm going to teach at all if I can't get things to improve.

Time will tell.

My college kids know.  They're the ones who clued me in to Lumosity to try to help more with brain games, and again, according to that site I'm doing just fine for my age (above average on everything - really, really good on some things), so I don't think my brain is totally shot, nor am I worried about Alzheimer's, etc (memories getting fuzzy are older ones - not short term).  There's just something weird going on affecting me more than my peers and I really, really hate it when the word switching problem happens at school.  I'm wondering if there's a better job option out there for me.  Hubby tells me with the Top 1% of all ages in Problem Solving that I should join a Think Tank.  (recall our sense of humor with that suggestion)   There aren't too many (any?) of those around where I live, so... slight problem with that idea.  I'm also not terribly convinced that a resume with my Lumosity score would do anything other than provide the morning/afternoon laugh in HR.   :lol:

But over the summer, I'll see what tweaks I can do and see if anything improves - seeing if I can solve the problem - right now, by gleaning information.

Do you ever play those word games on the computer or your phone? The ones where you get a bunch of letters and you have to find 2, 3, 4, 5 letter words. There are lots of other word retrieval and word games to play around with. These could be great for brain exercises.

Regular, vigorous exercise

Getting outdoors and into nature - smelling the trees, listening to the birds

Listening or playing music, particularly classical music

Relaxation/meditation

Reading a mix of fiction and non-fiction to keep your vocabulary fresh in your mind in a visual way

Listen to audio-books to re-fresh vocabulary in an auditory way

Good nutritional diet

Got rushed and forgot to respond to this one in order...

I tend to be quite good with those word games - on computer and with Boggle, etc, with friends/family.

We get regular walking in EXCEPT when I'm with relatives due to the health issues.  With that happening a ton lately, things have decreased, so that is one thing I'll see if I can resume in some way or another - not sure it's possible TBH - and still help with the health issues.

Ditto that last bit with the outdoors.  At home we're outside a lot.  I love the outdoors.

We listen to music while driving (which has also increased thousands of miles lately).  Mostly Oldies (70s and 80s) as we love reminiscing while on the road.

Relaxation is super easy for me and always has been.

Reading has dropped off a lot lately.  I try to keep up with Nutrition Action and Reader's Digest, plus while at home our local paper.  Even that has been tough lately.

Audio books have never really interested me - not sure why.

Nutritionally, we're not at the top of any list, but we're not near the bottom (most of the time) either.  Watching what I eat nutritionally has almost always been part of my life since my mom had Type II diabetes and  I wanted to avoid it.  I very rarely do sweets, white bread, or similar types of things. Pasta, hot dogs and burgers are fairly rare too.  Greens are common, and we tend to eat plenty of things from our garden, both fresh and previously frozen.  When traveling we're at our worst.  At home, I suspect we'd be in a "pretty darn healthy" category most of the time eating-wise.  A typical breakfast here is two eggs and pan fried (similar to stir fried, but without the sauce) green peppers, mushrooms, onions, & spinach.  In season I'll add summer squash.  Lunches and suppers vary more, but still tend more toward healthy than not most of the time.

Still... that has changed some recently due to travels.  I'll see if I can adjust back more.

• Like 1

OMG I do this all the time now and it terrifies me.  I've actually considered going to the doctor.  But a friend of mine did go to the doctor and they just told her it was normal under stress and changing circumstances.  They told her she just needed to slow down and not try to go as fast with everything as she was used to doing.  I have been trying that and it seems to help.

OMG I do this all the time now and it terrifies me.  I've actually considered going to the doctor.  But a friend of mine did go to the doctor and they just told her it was normal under stress and changing circumstances.  They told her she just needed to slow down and not try to go as fast with everything as she was used to doing.  I have been trying that and it seems to help.

I've always done things like getting names mixed up. When I first started my new job, that tendency dramatically increased to the extent that I started to worry that I was developing dementia (since it can be an early sign of that). Then one day, I realized that I was doing it at work, but not at home, so I looked up whether it can be an anxiety symptom. It can.

As I adjusted to the job, it went away.

Which isn't to say it's never a sign of something more serious. But it definitely can be just stress/anxiety.

Audio books have never really interested me - not sure why.

I've never been able to get into them, either. I don't hate them. I enjoy listening to people read aloud (as long as they're at least semi-decent at it). But if I have time to actually concentrate on an audiobook, I'd rather just sit down and read. And if I'm not concentrating on it, I'm going to tune it out.

I have a hard time with things like concentrating on a speakerphone conference call at work, too. It takes all my attention to keep on track, in a way that an ordinary face to face meeting doesn't.

Edited by ocelotmom
  • Like 2

<snip>

I've never been able to get into them, either. I don't hate them. I enjoy listening to people read aloud (as long as they're at least semi-decent at it). But if I have time to actually concentrate on an audiobook, I'd rather just sit down and read. And if I'm not concentrating on it, I'm going to tune it out.

<snip>

So far the only place I have been successful with listening to audiobooks is when I'm driving long distances.  I prefer those over constant searching for a decent radio station or trying to find Public Radio.

Hmm, Dr Weil says:

"DMAE may be safe, but I currently see no evidence that taking it will do anyone any good.

Andrew Weil, M.D."   :confused1:

LOL. That'll teach me to read my sources more closely before posting. Apparently the evidence isn't there yet, but the fact that it was safe and cheap convinced me to try.  My thought process went this way: There have been positive studies on the efficacy of DMAE (Dimethylethanolamine) and ADHD, and they are use cholinesterase inhibitors (prevents the breakdown of existing acytylcholine in the brain) to help with early dementia.  Since DMAE is a precursor, it made sense to me that it could work to sharpen brain fog in an aging brain (but may not help with actual dementia).  As far as I can tell, there aren't any published studies on it yet. But it's like 8 bucks for 250 of them, so it's pretty economical.  

Acetylcholine Deficiency Can Cause Memory Loss

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 1

This is my problem too.  My brain wanders.  When it happens and I'm reading a book, I can re-read a paragraph or page or whatever.  It's not quite as easy when listening to something.  When I'm driving I often have traffic to deal with - or construction - or whatever making my brain wander more and making it even dicier trying to go back.  With music or talk radio, it doesn't matter if my mind wanders.

I do it all the time. I thought it was just part and parcel with the dyslexia that I have. A language processing problem maybe?

I'd have thought a language problem would have been around forever or close to it.  This started with radiation (something they said is common), but never went away as expected.  Not a huge deal compared to other things, so I just dealt with it and warned people.  What I don't like is others noticing it's getting worse.  It could be age, diet, menopause, vitamin deficiency or who knows what.  I'm mainly looking for a list of things I can change, tweak, or do to work at getting back to where I was.  If something is fixable, I'd definitely prefer it.  It's worth trying.

LOL. That'll teach me to read my sources more closely before posting. Apparently the evidence isn't there yet, but the fact that it was safe and cheap convinced me to try.  My thought process went this way: There have been positive studies on the efficacy of DMAE (Dimethylethanolamine) and ADHD, and they are use cholinesterase inhibitors (prevents the breakdown of existing acytylcholine in the brain) to help with early dementia.  Since DMAE is a precursor, it made sense to me that it could work to sharpen brain fog in an aging brain (but may not help with actual dementia).  As far as I can tell, there aren't any published studies on it yet. But it's like 8 bucks for 250 of them, so it's pretty economical.  

Acetylcholine Deficiency Can Cause Memory Loss

Yeah, it could be worth trying.  One never knows.  I don't think mine is dementia related - at least - it doesn't match the progression or start of those I know with dementia or Alzheimers and neither run in my family.  MIL has it quite severely, but we're only related by marriage, of course.