Menu

S/O Misspellings

lexi

So today is rainy and dreary. Can we share some funny misspellings that we've encountered?

The couch/coach thing made me laugh.

It reminded me of a time a church organized a craft show. They made posters that said, "Craft Bizarre"

And I did tell someone very politely about the misspelling. But first I had a good laugh.

• Like 6

Ha!  That's funny.  

Here's a mispronunciation story:

- A friend and I were chatting in the classroom after school one day in 8th grade.  Another classmate was telling the teacher about a squid he had caught while ocean fishing with his father.  He did the standard "This big!" sign with his hands.  

My friend was really impressed and asked, "Was that with or without the testicles?" 

I about died laughing.  

• Like 7

I once saw a classified ad for a chair that described its upholstery as "red Swede" rather than suede.

In high school, a male friend of mine saw a caterpillar climbing up the outside of our house and exclaimed to our group of friends, "Look, a centimeter!" (I'm guessing he meant inchworm.) We mentioned that to him, and his reply was "What am I, a botanist?"

Erica in OR

• Like 6

Lexi, a friend of mine was organizing her church's craft bazaar and someone wrrite a long email describing all her homemade "crotched" items, like the afgans, scarves, toilet paper covers... Everything was hand-"crotched".

I was reading a travel blog about an American city we were thinking about visiting, but she warned that renting a place in the city was "adsorbitantly" expensive.

• Like 2

Lexi, a friend of mine was organizing her church's craft bazaar and someone wrrite a long email describing all her homemade "crotched" items, like the afgans, scarves, toilet paper covers... Everything was hand-"crotched".

I was reading a travel blog about an American city we were thinking about visiting, but she warned that renting a place in the city was "adsorbitantly" expensive.

I love this! Lol!

A mispronunciation rather than a mis-speling:

A friend of my mom's said escarole for escrow. "And the estate is still in escarole". She was a sweet, generous person and neither my mom or I said anything, though we gave each other the "don't laugh" look. For years afterwards we laughed about estates in escarole, but of course never in front of mom's friend.

• Like 2

In high school I wrote about a cluster of nuns, when I meant cloister. :D

Back when you used to put items for sale in the local paper and called in your ad, I was selling a wrought iron gate. When the ad came out I was apparently selling a rawed iron gate. It never occurred to me to spell the item for the person taking my ad info over the phone. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I gave a presentation about "Weekly Interacting Particles" in an honors Physics class in college.  The jerk professor was particularly mean. . .

I can't keep entomology & etymology straight.  

I can't say synonym, so I go to awkward lengths to avoid using it, when I have to say synonym I divide it conspicuously into syllables.

• Like 2

In high school I wrote about a cluster of nuns, when I meant cloister. :D

Back when you used to put items for sale in the local paper and called in your ad, I was selling a wrought iron gate. When the ad came out I was apparently selling a rawed iron gate. It never occurred to me to spell the item for the person taking my ad info over the phone.

I have seen "rod iron" far too many times because, as you know, it is made of rods of iron. O.o

While shopping for prom gowns, the sales lady kept telling us how we could get the dress to fit better by monopolizing the straps. (manipulating)

• Like 2

I think and hope I deleted it before anyone saw it but I posted a picture of my kids geared up for prom with the caption:

"Prom 2017. So smart. So beautiful. So young. 💕"

Then hit post and of course as the wheel is turning to post, that is when I see that it actually says:

"Prom 2017. So smart. So beautiful. So hung.💕"

I was so horrified and deleted it as fast as possible bc that's faster than editing.

• Like 6

Thanks for the laughs, I had to sign in just to tell this quick story.

My son was participating in a Latin competition, and the question was, "What medical term is derived from the Latin word "vacca" (cow in English) ?

I supposed that he momentarily lost his mind, because he answered.... VASECTOMY !

Edited to add:  For the record, the intended answer was - vaccination.

Edited by LJPPPKGFGSC
  • Like 2

I have seen "rod iron" far too many times because, as you know, it is made of rods of iron. O.o

It might have been rod iron. I was trying to remember (it was over 20 years ago) and wrote the closest misspelling I could think of. It was probably rod iron. Either way, it definitely wasn't wrought. :)