Menu

Inexpensive elementary geometry and graphs??

lorisuewho

My youngest really really struggles with math.  All the awesome things I did with the older children does not work with her.  Thus, she is going to be doing a very traditional basic math program next year.  She needs lots of easy slow steps and much repetition. 

However, the program I'm going to use has no geometry at all nor graphing in it.  Is there some sort of program you can think of that just covers these topics so I can supplement her program?  I browsed currclick but couldn't find anything easily.  I also looked at Kumon Geometry book but surprisingly the second grade book had very very little actual geometry in it.

mathantics.com has Geometry videos, and is $20/year for some worksheets to go with them (first lesson has free worksheets so you can see them).

We love this site and the videos are really great explanations with a tad of humor thrown in that my boys love.

ETA: Oops, sorry, didn't realize this was for a 6 year old. This website is technically for grades 3-8, however, my 6 year old watches the videos and enjoys them-don't know how much he really gets out of them, though.

Edited by alibild
  • Like 1

My youngest really really struggles with math.  All the awesome things I did with the older children does not work with her.  Thus, she is going to be doing a very traditional basic math program next year.  She needs lots of easy slow steps and much repetition. 

However, the program I'm going to use has no geometry at all nor graphing in it.  Is there some sort of program you can think of that just covers these topics so I can supplement her program?  I browsed currclick but couldn't find anything easily.  I also looked at Kumon Geometry book but surprisingly the second grade book had very very little actual geometry in it.

For a child who really-really struggles with math at 5-7 years old. I wouldn't broaden her program UNTIL we'd made it through some other material.

I would let her growth and progress with counting, and addition/subtraction inform my use of supplemental topics.

• Like 1

For a child who really-really struggles with math at 5-7 years old. I wouldn't broaden her program UNTIL we'd made it through some other material.

I would let her growth and progress with counting, and addition/subtraction inform my use of supplemental topics.

Wise words.

At 6 years old I would slow it down, work at her pace, maybe pick one thing to work on each week while also doing some small review each day of previous material.  Keep lessons very short.  Try to avoid undermining her confidence and developing a hatred of math.  She may not be ready for math in a formal sense.  Does she do well with real life math?  Like measuring with measuring cups and playing store with VERY basic amounts (no decimals yet)?  Does she do o.k. playing with manipulatives?

Is she reading yet?

At 6 years old I would slow it down, work at her pace, maybe pick one thing to work on each week while also doing some small review each day of previous material.  Keep lessons very short.  Try to avoid undermining her confidence and developing a hatred of math.  She may not be ready for math in a formal sense.  Does she do well with real life math?  Like measuring with measuring cups and playing store with VERY basic amounts (no decimals yet)?  Does she do o.k. playing with manipulatives?

Is she reading yet?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Well, to be honest she will turn 7 shortly.  My first mistake was to start K when she turned 5; I just assumed she would be ready like the others were.  We tried Rightstart and MEP, and they were total fails.  So this year we did Rod and Staff ducky math which was still too fast.  Again I wish we had done K this past year, but she is so proud of what grade she is in. 

She often lacks understanding of common concepts, like she still is confused about whether she feels hot or cold, or if ice freezes or burns.  She did great with Rod and Staff 1st grade phonics and reading.  She also did Pathway reading.  So I'd say she is right on level there.  She also has beautiful penmanship, both cursive and manuscript.   I have no idea why math is so hard for her.  She plays with math manipulatives, but after two years she still doesn't recognize 7 on an abacus.  She only quickly recognizes 5 and under.  She can measure fine with a ruler and with measuring cups and totally understands this.  She is on grade level with counting coins.  She can add and subtract with objects. 

She may be very weak on subitization skills.  For most, we are born with some basic sense of subitization.  For most that basic sense continues to develop and strengthen naturally over time as they are exposed to math.  Basic subitization is the foundation of math.  For others those basic internal subitization skills do not develop smoothly and may need extensive, detailed, long term explicit instruction. Also for those that are not born with strong subitization skills it may also take more physical time for their brain to be able to internalize the instruction.  In other words this area of the brain sometimes develops more slowly so more time is needed for brain development as well.  You might look into Ronit Bird materials.

Edited by OneStepAtATime

She may be very weak on subitization skills.  For most, we are born with some basic sense of subitization.  For most that basic sense continues to develop and strengthen naturally over time as they are exposed to math.  Basic subitization is the foundation of math.  For others those basic internal subitization skills do not develop smoothly and may need extensive, detailed, long term explicit instruction. Also for those that are not born with strong subitization skills it may also take more physical time for their brain to be able to internalize the instruction.  In other words this area of the brain sometimes develops more slowly so more time is needed for brain development as well.  You might look into Ronit Bird materials.

Thank you!  I have never heard of subitization skills.  I will have to read up on that.  I'll look into the Ronit Bird materials.  Thank you so much.

• Like 1