Menu

college mental health support...

bettyandbob

I posted a couple of weeks ago about dd. One poster suggested anxiety and I think that may be the issue. She was in good spirits when I talked to her last night and she'll be home in two weeks. She's got plans for summer work and other activities. 

I suggested talking to someone about possible anxiety when she gets home. She doesn't want to do it. The reason is because one of the few friends she made this year went to the school counseling center and was told to take fall semester off. That was 2 months ago. He's still at school living in the dorms and going to class and going to the activity on weekends with dd and a few others. He's finishing the semester, but he's not permitted to come back until Jan. It actually doesn't make sense that if he was deemed to have issues bad enough that he shouldn't be at school in 6 months (decision was 2 months ago), why is he still at school. Friend seems to be coping just fine, stressed (at a level similar to others in their friend group), but coping and finishing the semester. The decision making from the counseling program really bothers dd and her friend and others in their little group. 

I've heard of students at other schools say they won't go to the school counseling center because of this sort of thing. Seems pointless to say there is mental health support on campus and have people afraid to use it. 

The result is dd does not want to seek counseling of any kind. I said at home, not associated with her school, but she thinks doing so will get back to her school and derail her education. I have some ideas of how I'm going to approach this when she gets home that I think will work. 

Anyway, it seems counter productive for a schools to give the message students will be suspended for seeking assistance. 

This reminds me of the case in the news a couple of years ago about the Yale student who was threatened with suspension because school health services was convinced that she had an eating disorder.  Here it is.  I think Yale eventually backed off, but yeah--what a way to encourage students with actual ˆeating disorders to seek help.

Wow, I haven't heard of that.  I have a couple of friends whose kids went through major emotional struggles at college, but the colleges were very supportive and helpful and seemed to do everything they could to actually enable the students to stay.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a high number of students struggle with anxiety and other conditions and end up seeing someone at the school's mental health clinic!  Come to think of it, I believe two out of my daughters three roommates have some anxiety conditions, and one of them goes to the school mental health clinic regularly and they've been very good with her.  It does make me wonder if there is more going on with students such as your dd's friend.  

I can't imagine how meeting with a private counselor during the summer months would ever get back to the college anyway. 

I'm sorry for your dd's struggles.  I'm sure just having her home again will help settle her and help her be more open to your suggestions.   :grouphug:

My guess is that her friend hasn't shared his whole story. I haven't found that taking a semester off is the first plan of action out of college mental health advice. As for your dd, we don't seem to understand that therapy is to help us live better and not to wait until we crash.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  

• Like 4

I would say that student's experience is just one data point/anecdote, and is not generalizable to 'college mental health support' as a whole. To introduce just one other data point/anecdote, my DD had a fabulous outcome after contacting and working with her college's counseling center. It absolutely salvaged her semester and helped get her to the healthiest, happiest point in her life.

Gently, your DD's reluctance to seek treatment sounds like severe anxiety and possibly even paranoid thinking. I'm not diagnosing or labeling anyone, but suggesting that if YOU feel like she needs treatment, you should see that she gets it (knowing, of course, that she is an adult and nobody can force her to seek help). But, if she were exhibiting signs of diabetes or epilepsy or another chronic health problem, would you allow her to NOT see a physician about it?

Hugs and positivity to you. This is a tough problem, but a very, very treatable one.

• Like 1

My guess is that her friend hasn't shared his whole story. I haven't found that taking a semester off is the first plan of action out of college mental health advice. As for your dd, we don't seem to understand that therapy is to help us live better and not to wait until we crash.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  

But if the school is making the decision in February that the student is having enough problems that he shouldn't be there in August, why is he permitted to stay February, March, April, May. 

I agree probably not every detail is shared, but if someone is not well enough to come back, then he's probably not well enough to spend the remaining several months of a semester. It's not logical. And since the friend is functioning reasonably well (attending class, interacting socially, attending club meetings) it's had a chilling effect on whether others will seek school counseling center assistance because the students don't view being told they can't go to school anymore as "support."

My daughter's freshman roommate has mental health issues.

The person making decisions about whether or not she was healthy enough to be on campus seemed to have no mental health training whatsoever (based on web bio). The student was also banned from using the college mental health counseling for cutting.

So, the student had to find off-campus support and be very careful to hide any signs of stress because the dean of students was ready to kick her out of school if she was not deemed healthy enough. I'm sure this didn't help her as much as it limited the school's liability. She eventually left.

I'm not an attorney. But I believe anxiety is considered a disability and is thus a protected class under the ADA. So any university who attempts to expel, even temporarily, a student for anxiety probably has a very good reason for doing so. Otherwise they're potentially opening themselves up for a heap of trouble.

In the example you gave of the student who is attending now but supposedly can't in the fall -- No, that doesn't make any sense. My guess is that he is misrepresenting (either on purpose or due to an honest misunderstanding) what he was told by the school.

FWIW--DS18 is 2e and one of his diagnoses is GAD. We've been very upfront about that with with his chosen university. They've been nothing but helpful in working with him on the little bit of accommodation he needs (getting him approved for a private dorm room was a cinch, etc.). I think this is much more usual than what your DD seems to think is the norm because universities do NOT want to run afoul of the ADA.

ETA: As far as her seeing someone over the summer and the university finding out about it -- Again, I'm not an expert but I believe there are more protections in place regarding mental health than for physical health. For example, DS sees a psychiatrist for management of his anxiety. She works for the same medical group as his primary care doctor but the doctor can't see the psychiatrist's notes. But she can see the regular doc's notes.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

I don't know anything about the college side of mental health services. I think it was me that mentioned anxiety on your previous thread. IMO, it is REALLY hard for someone with active anxiety to agree to go to talk to someone even *without* the seeming threat of not being able to go back to college. So, I get where she's coming from.

Would she be open to reading some books on anxiety treatment? I can only speak of the ones that are helpful for parents, but I'm sure there are plenty of Hive members who can suggest resources she can start out with. The goal is to get her to see a counselor, preferably one who does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy & specializes in anxiety, but if she's still low enough on the anxiety front that she can take some suggestions from books and put them into action, I'd start there.

:grouphug: So not easy to be in this position as a parent. There are plenty of us out there who are doing it. Others will have more helpful suggestions, I'm sure. Just wanted to send you hugs.

• Like 1

I would say that student's experience is just one data point/anecdote, and is not generalizable to 'college mental health support' as a whole. To introduce just one other data point/anecdote, my DD had a fabulous outcome after contacting and working with her college's counseling center. It absolutely salvaged her semester and helped get her to the healthiest, happiest point in her life.

Gently, your DD's reluctance to seek treatment sounds like severe anxiety and possibly even paranoid thinking. I'm not diagnosing or labeling anyone, but suggesting that if YOU feel like she needs treatment, you should see that she gets it (knowing, of course, that she is an adult and nobody can force her to seek help). But, if she were exhibiting signs of diabetes or epilepsy or another chronic health problem, would you allow her to NOT see a physician about it?

Hugs and positivity to you. This is a tough problem, but a very, very treatable one.

Where did I say I wasn't going to help my dd seek support?  

Where did I give you enough information that you think you understand better than me how serious this problem is? 

I actually stated in my first post I had some ideas what to do to address this when she got home (in less than 2 weeks). 

I don't think problems with college counseling are so rare that one should view suspicion as paranoia. Another poster linked a Yale example, I linked one from GW and now I'm wondering about dd's school. Maybe a large number of other schools are getting this right, but some are getting this wrong and that is a problem. 

• Like 2

I don't know anything about the college side of mental health services. I think it was me that mentioned anxiety on your previous thread. IMO, it is REALLY hard for someone with active anxiety to agree to go to talk to someone even *without* the seeming threat of not being able to go back to college. So, I get where she's coming from.

Would she be open to reading some books on anxiety treatment? I can only speak of the ones that are helpful for parents, but I'm sure there are plenty of Hive members who can suggest resources she can start out with. The goal is to get her to see a counselor, preferably one who does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy & specializes in anxiety, but if she's still low enough on the anxiety front that she can take some suggestions from books and put them into action, I'd start there.

:grouphug: So not easy to be in this position as a parent. There are plenty of us out there who are doing it. Others will have more helpful suggestions, I'm sure. Just wanted to send you hugs.

Do you have some book suggestions. 

I know I have anxiety and I've found ways of coping, but if this her issue I'd like her to understand it early in her adult life and develop good strategies that she can maintain. I never thought of her as like me (as a child she was always more adventurous and confident than I ever was), but this year I'm hearing her reactions that were similar to mine when I was her age. Hate to see my kid have my bad traits and know those traits could get in her way. Have I functioned as an adult without having anxiety create issues like addiction or job loss or other major things? Yes. But I can't deny anxiety has had effects on my ability to focus, my decision making and my self worth and more that has kept me from achieving goals. I don't want dd to go through that. I looked up cognitive behavior therapy after you mentioned in the other thread and it sounded like something to pursue. As I said I do have some ideas once she gets home how to address this. 

• Like 1

Reassure her that it won't get back to her school. They won't have any ties to the university, and they can't release her information without her permission. You have to sign a form even to release information to your medical doctor. Violating this is a massive breach of ethics, a big huge deal that can get the counselor sanctioned and put their license in jeopardy. The school will never know if she seeks counseling over the summer. 

I don't think caution on this front means she's paranoid, considering her friend's experience. No, we don't know everything, but I agree that it's weird that he can finish this semester but then definitely not return in fall. Most colleges have a fairly long summer, so I don't see how they can decide ahead of time that a pretty lengthy break and counseling wouldn't be enough. 

• Like 1

But if the school is making the decision in February that the student is having enough problems that he shouldn't be there in August, why is he permitted to stay February, March, April, May. 

I agree probably not every detail is shared, but if someone is not well enough to come back, then he's probably not well enough to spend the remaining several months of a semester. It's not logical. And since the friend is functioning reasonably well (attending class, interacting socially, attending club meetings) it's had a chilling effect on whether others will seek school counseling center assistance because the students don't view being told they can't go to school anymore as "support."

I doubt that the information has been fully shared.  The counselor may have suggested that it would be healthy to take a block of time to deal with some issues, and thus suggested taking a semester to do it.  The counselor may not have seen that this was an immediate crisis that would prevent a student from completing current classes. 

There could be other issues.  Perhaps, the student was on scholastic probation from the fall, and it is beginning to be clear that he will not bring grades up enough to return in the fall.  Perhaps there is some family issue that the counselor knows will consume the fall semester. 

I have never known of a student who is making academic progress be told that they cannot return to campus because of a mental health issue.  If the student is violating campus rules or is a danger to someone else that is a different issue. 

• Like 2

I have never known of a student who is making academic progress be told that they cannot return to campus because of a mental health issue.  If the student is violating campus rules or is a danger to someone else that is a different issue. 

It happens for sure: 

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/02/14/how-colleges-flunk-mental-health-245492.html

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/how-colleges-stop-depressed-students-from-returning-to-campu?utm_term=.ljNNjBQ6m#.aakXKB4Aq

One example is a suicide attempt at Princeton, which the student immediately regretted and proactively sought help for. The hospital that evaluated him deemed that he was not a danger to himself or others, but he was forced to withdraw and had a hard time getting readmitted (they had to hire a lawyer). The cherry on top of this no-sympathy sundae is that they didn't want to return any of his tuition, after he was forced to withdraw after three weeks on campus. 

Other examples make it clear that confidentiality is limited at the student mental health center, with counselors sometimes telling students they have to waive their right to confidentiality if they want to stay on campus. 

I fully recognize that schools are in a rough place, but getting readmitted after a leave of absence for mental health issues is legally supposed to be roughly equivalent to getting readmitted after a leave of absence for a physical reason. They are not supposed to put additional obstacles in your way. An expert opinion stating that the student is not a danger to himself or others should carry a lot of weight, much more than the college's own efforts to evaluate mental health via their own methods (which include essays, like a very weird take on the admissions essay). It would also surely mitigate liability. 

If your school doesn't have well thought out policies on mental health and what happens when you seek help, I don't think it's necessarily paranoid to bypass student counseling if you have the means to do so. The fear of repercussions will interfere in the student's honesty with the counselor and ability to get help. 

• Like 2

yes, I have heard similar things about college counseling at certain schools.

At some colleges, students advising the incoming students to donwplay their depression and never to mention any thoughts of self harm etc because the college  they will hospitalize students and not permit them to return to school for a long time unless they jump through ridiculous hoops. The college will do everything to prevent a suicide of a student in their care; making sure the fragile student is not at college is certainly one way to achieve that.. It is very unfortunate when the atmosphere is such that students are afraid to go to the counseling center :(

• Like 1

Word won't get back to the campus from a professional therapist. It would be a HIPAA violation.

Does she have transportation to get care off campus once she gets to school? Or do Skype sessions with her provider from home? We got my daughter hooked up with the campus disability office for advocacy purposes, but we get her care off campus.

I do think that campuses proceed with great caution these days with student mental health concerns because of liability reasons. My oldest daughter's campus has never restricted her returning to school, though she was required to meet with an RA weekly for a short time following her visit to the ER for suicidal ideation (this was a situation where she had called an off campus helpline and they tracked her to the campus apartment; she had already taken herself to the ER, but security was involved in opening the door to her apartment. Those anonymous helplines are not actually so anonymous.) HOWEVER, the same weekend she visited the ER, there were two other suicide attempts on campus, one successful. It's a huge problem, and the colleges are awkward, and can appear somewhat random in their attempts to deal with this.