Menu

Want to help me plan 30 days of "surprises": projects, fun things to do, etc??

Um_2_4

So for a little fun, who wants to suggest ideas for about 30 days of "surprise bags"??

Plan is thus: We will be going on break for Ramadan in a few weeks. During that time our schedule will change and I will have several hours a day to keep kiddos occupied. Nothing outside as they will be fasting (during the daytime only) and it will be HOT here. Nothing involving baking or food obviously :laugh: . If something that all 4 can do together GREAT! If not than maybe a "theme" and something for each one in the bag.

Ideas so far:

New game (Thinking Ticket to ride? They like Pandemic. Looking for strategy games really. Or things like Apples to Apples, we have the Big Picture edition. Can repeat this.)

New DVD with a "matching" craft or color pages (any suggestions???)

Some building kit, maybe like this Keva one

Some science slime kit

Maybe a volcano kit

Some less expensive options like Fairy Tale stem challenges from pinterest with the book and all the supplies in there

I have this package from theStemlaboratory so I will "package" up some of those

Maybe a scavenger hunt one day???

Girls would love some craft kits, DS7 maybe, but DS12 not so much, doesn't like to draw, etc.

Any more ideas????

• Like 3

Set

Iota

Farkle (I like these games because lots of people can play and even really little not-fully-reading kids can actually win them, though they're not driven wholly by dumb chance; I don't do games that are all chance)

Harry Potter audiobooks (Jim Dale,  :001_wub:  )

Arabic design coloring books with brush markers  (excellent activity whilst listening to audiobooks, lol)

• Like 2

Slime is big here. Michael's and others have free slime workshops, slime kits, etc.  My DD is into slime you make with shaving cream.  So maybe a DIY slime kit?

A henna cone would be nice...with maybe some sheets of designs printed out and put in plastic page protectors so they could practice.

I saw a junior Ticket to Ride at Target. 

What about getting those water balloons on the straws...the ones that allow you to fill a bunch quickly and have a water balloon fight near Maghrib.  Family members can be on different teams.

My kids still love light sabers made from Dollar Store foam noodles and duck tape.  (Just cut noodle in half, and put a little tape at the end to make two.)  Family light saber war combined with maybe one of the Lego Star Wars DVDs?

• Like 3

Make fake snow? You can google it (sorry I can't link now) but I've made it with conditioner and corn starch or shaving cream or something like that before?

Make origami paper ninja stars

Some melting crayon art project thing

Making shirts (with the dye or fabric pens/paint)

My ideas require more research though, obviously 😆

• Like 2

Moon Sand

LEGO Engineering Challenge - make highest tower/make a maze/etc

A Reader's Theater - have kids come up with their own costumes or you can put a new animal hat in or something for youngest & put on the play (you can find free skits online)

Maybe a paper airplane book or origami for DS12 to go with the craft kits

A deck of cards for each and have a card house contest or a deck and the rules to a new game or new solitaire

Yoga cards

• Like 2

games my kids like playing together: labyrinth, scrambled states, uno

How about some small, cheap canvases? They could paint something, do the melted crayons thing, etc and they're ready to hang! I got a set of 3 small ones (maybe 5x7?) at TJ Maxx one time for just a few dollars

Or a new sketch pad? I let my kids get on artforkidshub.com with their sketch pads and they will draw for a LONG time. (I know you said oldest doesn't like to draw, but maybe the others would?)

Pearl beads melt things? I got some mini ones at Michaels on the dollar(ish) aisle/section

You could buy those blank notecards/envelopes from Hobby Lobby and then the kids get to decorate the cards and write notes to loved ones. Win-win! :)

Some new puzzles that they'd enjoy working on together. Ravensburger puzzles are just so lovely.

My kids also love DK Sticker Albums. There are tons to choose from on Amazon! Even my 11-yr old would like one. There are ones for animals, rocks & minerals, Lego, etc. These take a while because not only do they place the stickers in the correct place, but then they read the information on it.

I haven't tried it yet, but I just saw something in the Timberdoodle catalog called Aquarellum. It looks neat.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks all.... keep them coming...some ideas I used, some gave me other ideas (or Rather amazon lead me to other ideas)

I have a list thus far, but I can always use more! Here it is if anyone needs ideas for summer break:

Surprise Bags

1. Decorate Tshirts with puffy paint or fabric paint/stencils/tracing

2. Ticket to ride game

3. DIY Slime kit with recipes and ingredients

4. 4M Kitchen Sci kit (volcano, etc)

5. Bashers Chemistry game

6. Scavenger Hunt (near sunset) with prize of _________?

7. Readers Theater (props and costumes)

8. Decorate a mural to hang

9. Moon Sand with molds

10. Painting on canvases

11. Scattergories game

12. Lemony Snicket DVD +???

13. Thames and Cosmos Catapult kit

14. Playdough

15. Homemade Nerf target game

16. Ocean Labyrinth

17. Sushi Go

18. Air dry clay and some molds and tools

19. Go to Free summer movies one morning

20. Paint by Stickers

21. Paper Craft theme: Paper dolls for girls (american girl and ___) and Box Buddies for the boys

22. Minecraft paper craft

23. Decorate tote bags with iron ons or markers/paint for 4H or quiet time bags

24. Make Paper Chains to decorate

25. Qixels for the boys + Perler for the girls?

26. Stretchy Bracelet kit for the girls and Paint rocks for the boys

27. Make your own fridge magnets kit

28. Activity book for each (Horses, Kittens, Lego, Minecraft????)

29. Fairy Tale Stem challenge from pinterest

30. Stem Challenges: building, toothpicks from printables

• Like 2

Roxaboxen camp--read the book aloud, everyone chooses a 'house' and sets it up and decorates it.

Or, a guided 'make your own personal flag' project, where each thinks of symbols for their abilities, loves, and aspirations, and make them into paper banners.

Educational games--

The Garden Game

Artifact

Equate

Strangely fun though a bit childish games--

Up the River

Sorry

Touring

Spades

Cooperative games--

https://familypastimes.com/collections/multi-age

Silk painting for gifts or for selves--

http://www.dharmatrading.com/scarves/silk/machine-hemmed-8mm-habotai-scarves.html?lnav=scarves_silk.html

http://www.dharmatrading.com/techniques/silkpaint/paints-for-silk-painting.html

Archeology kits--

https://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=015794&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0IvIBRDF0Yzq4qGE4IwBEiQATMQlMZ9hc0PDh5lIDA-pJUddu7u37z3MCuqq4vm_TmfhRg0aAgcX8P8HAQ

http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=015805

Pine needle basket weaving kits--https://wanderingbull.com/shop/craft-supplies/pine-needle-basket-kit/

• Like 1