Menu

I do not know what to do...

To keep it short and simple..

I've posted here many times about how my oldest struggles. He is repeating 9th grade this year. He will be 16 in December. He hopes to go to the Community College to learn Game Making. His only interet in life is Visual Basic and other computer stuff, girls, texting, drums and games. Period.

We went to California in July and did not get a whole lot done. We really tried but everything I took with us just did not work out (history, algebra, science).

While in CA I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My dh brought us home to Texas and I am ion the process of getting all my records to M.D. Anderson. I will not even be able to speak with an oncologist to find out the plan (I KNOW I am looking at a double mastectomy) until the end of November.

I am TRYING to think of school but am having a very hard time focusing on it.

he has already gone through 9th grade once and now this year is looking very, very grim.

As I said he struggles and he would have an even harder time in public school. So this is not an option.

I just don't know what to do.

I am going to try to keep him doing Literary Lessons from LOTR, which he actually enjoys.

For writing he will do as many of the creative writing lessons from his LOTR literature. He also sort of blogs. I guess we are taking a laid back Brave Writer approach. I just don't know what else to do. He is NOT independent enough to take a class. We will hopefully do that next year to get him up to speed for essays.

We hated TT Algebra so...we are just going to do Life of Fred. If it does not work then he will just have to repeat Algebra at CC (as I did). I feel I can keep up with this with him.

I can get him to read some history (WC) without too much trouble.

Science is the real problem. I have a hard time doing this even under the best of circumstances. I know I will not be able to do high school Biology this year. I cannot afford to buy anything different. I have considered just doing Physical Science (Apologia).

This is such a repeat of last year...he wasn't ready for anything I bought and NOTHING worked. Nothing.

I cry every time I think of schooling him. I just feel like I can't do it anymore.

I don't know. I don't even think there is an answer. I guess I am just venting.

Thanks for listening.

Hi Rhonda, please don't be too hard on yourself. You have a hard yr ahead, and even though your son is in high school, and that is important, there are many other things on his and your plate.

If it were me, I would concentrate on the basics during this time. I would think of what I could do from the couch. I would keep on as you say with Lord of the Rings, some sort of math, physical science for 9th grade would be fine. I would encourage writing as you've been doing and have him take a more serious writing class over the summer. Having surgery at the end of November, you won't lose all that much time. Everyone else will have a long Christmas and Thanksgiving break.

I would take as much help as I could get. Could your husband take over math with him when he returns? Is there someone in your church or a friend that could maybe tutor math? I would take up any offers for meals or food.

I'm sure your kids will understand if you need to change things up a bit, this may mean doing school through the summer. I would use this time to be together, have everyone read a lot or listen to books on tape. A lot can be learned by reading.

Your son's interests sounds like today's teen. I also wanted to say it's great that your son does have hobbies~computers and drumming. I think it is so hard for men that don't have hobbies. They have no way to reduce stress etc and that could truly be a problem later on.

I would concentrate on being together and supporting each other now. This is time the time to take care of you.

Many prayer and blessings to you,

Michelle

Hi Rhonda, please don't be too hard on yourself. You have a hard yr ahead, and even though your son is in high school, and that is important, there are many other things on his and your plate.

If it were me, I would concentrate on the basics during this time. I would think of what I could do from the couch.

My thoughts exactly.

I would keep on as you say with Lord of the Rings, some sort of math, physical science for 9th grade would be fine.

Do you think just reading, doing the study guides and test will be enough? The experiments are what gets me. Even though they look easy, I know I will not have the energy to push him into doing this. I am really hoping that this happening will...grow him up...so to speak. Maybe he will get his head out and realize that I am not always going to be right there hanging over his shoulder, dragging him along.

I would encourage writing as you've been doing and have him take a more serious writing class over the summer. Having surgery at the end of November, you won't lose all that much time. Everyone else will have a long Christmas and Thanksgiving break.

Actually I'll be seeing a doctor for the first time at the end of November. I have no idea when surgery will be....or if I'll have to have chemo before or after or if at all.

I would take as much help as I could get. Could your husband take over math with him when he returns? Is there someone in your church or a friend that could maybe tutor math? I would take up any offers for meals or food.

I will take any help offered, believe me.

I'm sure your kids will understand if you need to change things up a bit, this may mean doing school through the summer. I would use this time to be together, have everyone read a lot or listen to books on tape. A lot can be learned by reading.

Books on tape are in the plans! Thank goodness for them!

Your son's interests sounds like today's teen. I also wanted to say it's great that your son does have hobbies~computers and drumming. I think it is so hard for men that don't have hobbies. They have no way to reduce stress etc and that could truly be a problem later on.

Maybe hobbies are the best thing for this year. he wants to learn guitar too. Computer and music are classes, right? :sigh: This kid is not academic anyway...and for what he is going for at CC he does not need a big science background.

I would concentrate on being together and supporting each other now. This is time the time to take care of you.

Many prayer and blessings to you,

Michelle

Thanks Michelle.

I will pray for you, Rhonda -- first of all that God miraculously heals you of your cancer. "In Jesus' Name, you are whole & healed!"

I will let the veteran homeschoolers here help you w/ the academic advice. Just know that God loves you, this is NO surprise to Him, and you are NOT alone. :grouphug:

Thank you Beth.

Oh Rhonda...I am so sorry about your diagnosis and I too will be praying for a miraculous healing.

In the meanwhile, about your ds. Breast cancer effects the whole family...and learning compassion and caring for a sick family member, is definitely an education in itself. My children learned many life lessons taking care of me while I was ill. They were much better off from that than from making sure every box was checked.

That said, my most productive homeschool years were actually the ones where I was bed ridden for months. It was those times where we bonded together...watched historical movies...watched science movies. As far as experiments...watch them on you tube...much better than even doing them when they never really work the way they are supposed to on paper anyway. For literature...read...read...read. Have him read about the history of gaming and keep a notebook. Nothing too formal, but he may even enjoy it. Let him teach YOU gaming...or read articles to you when you don't feel good.

For math...Life of Fred is a hoot...and very effective (I swear the guy is a genius!) Let him read it aloud to you and enjoy a good laugh while learning math. There are so many web sites where he can get extra worksheets...etc.

I need to run,

but please feel free to pm me if you need a shoulder. I feel like we've been friends for years and I have you in my prayers.

Faithe

I don't know how to begin this post other than with :grouphug:. You are walking a challenging path, and I will offer prayers for you and yours.

I am going to offer a gentle suggestion for your ds's school this year--Would it be possible to put him in an online charter with ps oversight for the year?

My suggestion is based on two main issues. First and foremost, you need to give every ounce of your available time and energy to getting well. This means not only Dr. appts. and treatments, but also rest, relief from stress, and feeding your own soul. Being the primary provider of your ds's high school education is stressful. It's OK to let someone else carry that burden for awhile.

The second issue is your son's age relative to his grade. I think you are wise to be concerned about an ineffective academic year at this stage of the game. I think it's important for a teen of this age to see meaningful academic progress so that he doesn't become discouraged. He will turn 18 during his junior year, and it will be important for the light at the end of the high school tunnel not to be too far away.

If your ds were enrolled in an online charter, the bulk of the load would be on someone else's shoulders, and you could be in a position to help with his specific struggles. The charter also keeps more options open for the future, should homeschooling become too much. Finally, you might find that he enjoys some outside oversight. It can be motivating to a teen--especially with the security of having Mom there to help, if necessary.

You know your son best. Other posters have pointed out some great reasons to continue homeschooling even if it's less than perfect. Just know that it's not the end of the world if some form of ps is your best option for this year.

Take care of yourself.

Beth

Beth and Faithe have really good advice. I've spent about 7 months out of the last 2 yrs taking care of my FIL. It has been a bonding time for all of us. I know my kids have learned the values of taking care of their family and that is invaluable. We also have many memories and are stronger from the experience. We know what to do when life throws you a curve ball.

To answer your question about science, yes reading and taking the tests would be enough. The most valuable portion of physical science I can remember is the acid base balance, the configuration of elements and their electron shells and making molecules along with molecular bonding. Any labs related to that may be valuable if they're not busy work. Most labs at this level are busy work.

Beth,

I am too afraid of signing him up for anyones classes. I am afraid that they will assign more work than I'll be able to help him with. He is a very slow worker/reader.

We had him signed up for Hewitt which I thought looked very doable...and at first it was. But after a few weeks he was getting behind on the amount of reading and writing, plus he had projects to do...and then the diagnosis came...and ..we just dropped it.

Believe me, if I thought it would allow him to work without so much work on my part i'd put him in private school, charter school, online classes, or even public school. But it would be more than I could handle.

I really am mostly worried science. The other I can handle...I think. :sigh:

About science: I did Conceptual Physics last year with my sons. The older one is unmathy and unsciency. It is physics that you can do with a minimal amount of math, especially if there is someone to help you learn to plug-and-chug those problems. The best part is that it teaches practical physics, the stuff that will make life easier as an adult, stuff like how the tides work and why it is harder to get a loaded truck going than an unloaded one and why bicycles stay upright. The book comes in college and in high school versions, and the teacher's guide has the answers to all the problems. You read the text, and then depending on how academic you are, you answer the review problems and/or the apply-it-now problems and/or the plug-and-chug problems and/or the harder math-and-think problems. Your son could do the review and plug-and-chugs and learn plenty. The teacher's guide says which chapters you must cover at a minumum, and then he could choose which other ones he's interested (colour and light, or sound, or the nuclear stuff, or whatever), if he has time. At the end of the year, if you want this to be a lab science, you can get a kit from one of the good high school lab people and do it all at once, at a time when you are available to help make sure it happens. The other science my non-science child did was MODG's natural history course. This involved reading several books written by naturalists and answering questions at the end of each chapter, keeping a nature journal (cleverly set up so if you are in a city you can still do it), doing a drawing book, and doing a month-long experiment that you design yourself at the end of the year. The experiment comes with detailed instructions on how to design it, etc., and doesn't have to be that involved. The syllabus tells you what to do each day. It is set up to be done 3 days a week, and unlike many other guides that I've seen, actually could be done by my son in not too much more time than the guide assumed. Usually, we have to triple or quadruple or more the suggested times. Either one of these options could probably be done by your son with a minumum of oversight on your part, especially if you didn't get too ambitious about which problem sets your son did and how many chapters of the book you covered. This year my older one is doing chemistry at CC, the introductory chemistry for people who haven't had any chemistry previously, not the general chemistry.

How soon can he go to CC? Is he going to suddenly go full time, or are you going to transition in with one or two classes, first?

I saw a huge leap in maturity between when my son was 16 and when he was 17. He suddenly was much more willing to take responsibility for his academics, and much more able to do those academics. I think some people bloom later. And some people, especially computer geeks, are born lopsided. You just have to make sure they get enough of the basics in other things to survive, and make sure they get tons of computers so they are good at something. If you cut down the computers to work on the basics, you risk winding up with a child who can't do anything well. I talked to a mother who said her son basically didn't do anything except watch history channel and teach himself to juggle during high school. The last year, he took algebra and composition at CC. Then he went to Emerson College. I met him right before he went to college and he was a great juggler and had spent tons of time and energy learning all things juggling and teaching other people to juggle. He was polite and enthusiastic and a real person, much more adult than some other apathetic teenagers who had had four years of science, English, math, social studies, and foreign language. He also was a good teacher, as we discovered when he spent a day teaching my children to juggle. His mother was worried sick about him, but he's going to be fine. Not that I'm implying your son will be quite so lopsided, but I know that sometimes a story about a real live person is more encouraging than all the statistics around. In my town, lots of my oldest's son's friends have refused to go to college. They burned out on academics in high school and can't even manage CC now. I think they would have been better of with less academics and more enthusiasm for something. Your son has interests and things he wants to learn. He is SO much better off than the poor dulled-down teenagers I know. I knew those children when they were in elementary school and still alive. You have done something very, very right. Take heart.

And get better.

-Nan

Rhonda, i'm praying for your healing. I think LOF Algebra will be fine, also my DD does Apologia Biology through an online class that's free, they have another class starting in Feb. that my DS is going to be part of.

Please tell me about this Biology class!

You know...his Apologia would be fine if there was more to the daily work. He needs more than just a study guide at the end of the chapter.

I spoke with my friend's 9th grader and they have worksheets to do prior to testing...even that would be a huge help.

Is this a science program that has daily work like that?

Thanks,

Nan,

Do you have the web page for Conceptual Physics? I'll take a look. I think he'd be much more interested in physics right now than Biology...and physics is something he will probably NEED for the field he is liable to go into.

When will he start CC?? No idea. I was not ready for that until my mid 20s. My dh and I were BOTH late bloomers. And my dh is a very smart, well respected, and very much liked man in real life and in his career.

And he didn't finish school. And was failing when he was in school. So was I. But I was making wonderful grades in CC. I totally believe my son will wake up one day. I mostly want him to learn something from science and enjoy it. Period. I'm not so much wortried about test scores.

This is not to say that I do not take school seriously. I do. And with my younger ds everything will be different. He is a more academic kid. Totally different. My 12 year old 7th grader has done far more already than my almost 16 year old. But then my 12 year old has to work to find his way around a computer and has no interest in music...so different strokes and all that.

Thanks,

Rhonda,

I was 16 when my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I was in a private college prep high school, and should have flunked out because I simply shut down for most of that school year. I couldn't concentrate on math or physics, didn't care about American history, and worse yet, my peers couldn't begin to understand what was going on. Life kept going on around me, the academics passed over, by and through me without stopping to let me regroup and join back in. Even though it was a bleak period, there was something wonderful which has stuck with me since then, and that was the compassion of my history teacher who let me hang out in his office and talk about anything every day during lunch period. It was something so simple but it meant more to me than getting the grades to get into college, and in the long run is my most special memory from high school.

A couple of years ago I had to take care of my mom's affairs while she was in and out of nursing homes and hospitals. My kids were left on their own for hours at a time, and without my constant oversight, they didn't get through the "proper" amount of math or science. Instead when I was home and emotionally spent, we read books aloud or listened together to audio books and watched lots of great old movies. Later, my kids were able to pick back up and move on, even though it was almost a year that seemed "wasted" at the time. They wound up NOT being behind, and we were so much better off emotionally for all that lovely time together sharing books and movies.

So, based on my experience, my advice is to take care of your emotional health and well being first, and make sure someone is there to help your son through his own difficult times ahead. It is far more important than academics, and afterall, isn't putting family first part of why we all homeschool in the first place? It may be, that if his emotional needs taken care of, your son will be able to do on-line classes or other hard-core academics. But if he spends this year reading books, or listening to books with you while you rest, if he enjoys Life of Fred and cobbles together some interesting science between books and videos --- that will be o.k. too.

There are many years ahead of your son for learning algebra, but this seems like a season for loving and taking care of one another.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you face this difficult time.

Rhonda, first of all I want to tell you that I have been reading about your struggle with breast cancer over the past few weeks and have been praying for you. I can't imagine homeschooling in your situation, but I do want to share my brother's story in hopes that it encourages you about your son.

My brother (now 52) struggled a LOT in school. He has a very high IQ so once his teachers and my parents discovered that, their expectations for him shot sky high. He felt very pressured and over the years just shut down. He rebelled in a very passive way by just not doing the schoolwork. When he was 16 our parents divorced. My dad put him in a private school and from what I've heard the teachers were very, very patient with him. He graduated two years late nevertheless.

After hs graduation he attended cc for a semester and completely bombed out. My dad told him to get a job because he was no longer going to pay for his education. My brother got a job as a bus boy at an ice cream parlor. While there he met a wonderful young lady whom he wanted to date. She told him her plans for her life did not include being married to a bus boy.;)

Long story short, he straightened up and put himself (no help from dad) through college. He graduated from UCLA with a degree in software engineering and is married to that sweet young lady (they just celebrated their 24th anniversary on the 21st). He makes lots of money and lives in a nice suburb of LA.

Of course, he heard from many adults in his life prior to that he would one day meet someone and want to get married and live a comfortable life, but it had to actually happen to him for him to "get" it. Some kids just have to live it.

One other thing. Our society actually rewards specialists. I'd encourage your son in his interests if I were you. If he gets skilled in one area such as computers, those who hire him will not care if he has read Shakespeare or succeeded in any number of any other academic accomplishments. Tell him he is going to be responsible for his own education. If you really must "do school" I would do a very laid back approach for now. The other ladies here have given you some good ideas along those lines.

He needs to find his own motivation for learning. He is very young, really. Many boys don't bloom until their twenties. I read recently that Winston Churchill did not do well in school, but when he was older he became a voracious reader and taught himself. Something must have sparked his imagination and that motivated him to want to know things.

I have a son very much like yours. He's 20yo and has yet to finish Alg. 1. (got 2/3 of the way through it.) I just graduated him because I figured he needed to make his own choices and make his own way. He works part-time at Best Buy selling computers and during his free time he helps his cousin with a landscaping business. He just likes to work with his hands and he loves working with computers. I am a little stressed about his prospects, but he is a dear young man - very sweet, kind, and helps me around the house with all the heavy labor. He reminds me very much of my brother. I figure he will just need to find his own motivation.

I think if my 20yo were 16 and I was dealing with your circumstances, I would put school way down on my list of priorities. I would want to just have peace and joy in my household and would want to avoid butting heads with him over school work. Since my son likes computers I would just let him spend time learning about that. Our family likes to watch History Channel/Discovery Channel kinds of programs and those often spark conversations about history and science. We will often run to the encyclopedia to learn more or google the subject on the web. Ds enjoys that kind of "school." As far as literature goes, I might suggest reading a book together and discussing it. I would not require papers, tests, etc. I would just try to enjoy my relationship with my son.

Regardless how your physical problems play out, and I pray all goes well, you will not regret putting school on hold. Your son will eventually get there - he just needs time and maturity.

I will be keeping you in my prayers, Rhonda.:grouphug:

Rhonda, first of all I want to tell you that I have been reading about your struggle with breast cancer over the past few weeks and have been praying for you.

Thanks so much Kathleen.

I think if my 20yo were 16 and I was dealing with your circumstances, I would put school way down on my list of priorities. I would want to just have peace and joy in my household and would want to avoid butting heads with him over school work.

This is how I feel exactly.

Since my son likes computers I would just let him spend time learning about that. Our family likes to watch History Channel/Discovery Channel kinds of programs and those often spark conversations about history and science. We will often run to the encyclopedia to learn more or google the subject on the web. Ds enjoys that kind of "school." As far as literature goes, I might suggest reading a book together and discussing it. I would not require papers, tests, etc. I would just try to enjoy my relationship with my son.

We may just have to do it this way Kathleen. I know that he would NOT do well in public school, private school will not work...and right now I've got to take care of me. And...I just want to love and enjoy my family.

Regardless how your physical problems play out, and I pray all goes well, you will not regret putting school on hold. Your son will eventually get there - he just needs time and maturity.

I will be keeping you in my prayers, Rhonda.:grouphug:

Thank you again.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience.

We will keep up with math and literature and writing and computers because those are all things that he will enjoy. :huge sigh: But, right or wrong...I'm letting go of structured science this year.

However...now that I think of it...we may be doing science after all...since I am sort of looking like a biology lesson myself. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks again :)

Please tell me about this Biology class!

You know...his Apologia would be fine if there was more to the daily work. He needs more than just a study guide at the end of the chapter.

I spoke with my friend's 9th grader and they have worksheets to do prior to testing...even that would be a huge help.

Is this a science program that has daily work like that?

Thanks,

It's offered on the Apologia Biology yahoo group, they meet over the web three days a week and the teacher lectures, there are even voice threads the kids watch when they have to miss a lecture. They have their quizzes and tests online as well.

It's offered on the Apologia Biology yahoo group, they meet over the web three days a week and the teacher lectures, there are even voice threads the kids watch when they have to miss a lecture. They have their quizzes and tests online as well.

Ok..there seems to be two yahoo groups for Apologia Biology.

Apologia_Biology

and

ApologiaBiologyScience

Which one is the one that offers the classes. Even if we don't join this year we might next year.

Thanks!

Rhonda- I read your post with interest and sympathy also. I am recovering from a mastectomy (less than 3 weeks ago) In some ways the "before time" is very difficult because of the unknowns. Of course everyone is different, but I want to be encouraging because you will probably recover a lot faster than you think. It's actually nice to have someone around the house of course, if possible, but you will be able to be up and around from the first day home. The bandages are waterproof so you can take a shower as soon as you get home.

I never needed any pain medicine at all, starting from the recovery room. At home I took ibuprofin off and on, mainly at night, but I have slept fine every night, and only occasionally napped. The doctors said that homeschooling is one of the jobs you can keep doing. They do want you up and moving, but not moving furniture. They said people that don't move their arms enough have problems. Also, if your mind is clear you will soon be bored if you're used to homeschooling. If you have any incentive plans for your son (ie rewards) this is probably an excellent time to use them. You will enjoy watching educational videos or chalkdust or teaching company a lot more than the standard TV. HTH, PM me if you'd like. I wish you were closer so I could help. My dd (14)wants to work in video games also.....(we have DigiPen here in Seattle)

Best of wishes---MD Anderson has excellent care. If you have friends that had this earlier, keep in mind that most everything has changed. They can take the fewest possible lymph nodes out, and your quality of life is so much better! I'll be thinking of you. If you have any other questions I'll be glad to try to answer.. There's almost too much information out there on the internet, and sometimes it creates more anxiety.

I am too afraid of signing him up for anyones classes. I am afraid that they will assign more work than I'll be able to help him with. He is a very slow worker/reader.

Rhonda--

I would encourage you to take one step in exploring options....Talk to the most knowledgeable person in your local district about the online charter options (ours was in the superintendent's office, yours may be at the high school--principal or guidance). You are just gathering information. Describe your ds's challenges and see if they have anything to offer. Such a ameeting may put some of your fears to rest, or it may demonstrate that online charters would not be a good option for your son. Either way, you'll know for sure and won't have to worry about unknowns.

When I had such a meeting with our district, I discovered that I had perhaps unrealistically high expectations for work quantity and quality in a typical high school class. The ps online charter that our district partnered with didn't demand the amount of work product that I expected. You might find it to be a more manageable load than you think it will be. Remember that ps's use these charters to reach many different types of kids, some of whom would find a regular classroom to be too much for one reason or another. It might be a good fit.

You have many things going on in your life right now that you can't control. Setting up a meeting to get information is one thing you can actually take charge of, so that you are as prepared as possible to make good decisions for your son. Now might be a good time since you're not yet inundated with Drs. and treatments. Focus on other things and all that.

Rhonda, I know you will make a good decision for your son. Take care of yourself, and take steps to keep the anxiety at bay. I know from experience that it's very hard to do when life is throwing you curveballs. Take action on the things that are within your power, and leave the rest to God.

Rhonda- I read your post with interest and sympathy also. I am recovering from a mastectomy (less than 3 weeks ago) In some ways the "before time" is very difficult because of the unknowns.

:grouphug: to you! I'm so sorry that you've had to go through this. I am amazed that you are recovering so quickly. This is good to hear! I am hoping to have the DIEP or the muscle free TRAM...I think the recovery time there is along the line of 6 weeks. I hope I am wrong on that.

The bandages are waterproof so you can take a shower as soon as you get home.

Now THIS is good to hear! LOL I've actually worried a lot about that. I still help my dd wash her hair because it is long...down past her hips...good to know that if I am up to it I'll not have to worry about getting wet!

There's almost too much information out there on the internet, and sometimes it creates more anxiety.

I totally agree. I've been going to the breastcancer.org site and while it has been very helpful and informative, especially about the different tyoes of reconstructive procedures, it is also not a happy place to hang around for long. I can only take it in small doses or I end up anxious and crying.

Thanks again. It is very encouraging to hear from someone HERE on these boards who have btdt and recently. Thank you! :)

May your road to recovery continue to be a good one. :grouphug:

Thanks, Beth, for the ideas. You know, I don't think there are any online charter schools for Houston, Texas. I know there is K12, but it is expensive.

If there are any, it is something to consider, but I doubt we'd go that route this year anyway.

Thanks again,

They are 4 years apart, but I teach them together for a bunch of things, and the older gets to give his answers first, always. He does lots of things the younger one is incapable of, and will always be incapable of, so it doesn't seem to bother either of them. One is just quicker at the academics. I know what you mean.

The website is conceptualphysics.com. If you decide you want to use it, let me know.

-Nan

but it sounds like science worries you. Maybe someone has already suggested it, but here goes.

Look into Science Power Basics. I'm using the Earth Science program from my kids, 15 and 13. The 15-year-old has to do a little extra reading, but that's just because I know she can do it and she needs that push.

SPB is made for kids who need to take science work at a slower pace or who simply don't like science. So far I'm finding it to be easy to use and thorough. The kit comes with a student text, workbook, teacher's book (which doesn't really have a lot more than the answer key) and a test book. The student book even has some experiments in it.

It's done in a conversational style that's easy to understand but doesn't skimp. The drawings are simple and not as distracting as science books that are just chock full of drawings and graphs.

I have my kids take notes on the text (we do this together, but it's easy). They take the little quizlets at the end of each section, and there's a unit test. I have my kids split up the list of terms at the beginning of each section and write them on index cards with the definitions so they can quiz each other.

Rainbow Resource sells this at a discount (an includes a long review) and to me it's worth the money. Everything is laid out for us and the program covers everything. It's also worth a high school science credit. Not every kid enjoys math and science, and for those who don't, SPB is a good option.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

You have so many wonderful and helpful responses thus far. All that I can add to this is that my son who did attend 9th grade last year at PS did not have a science class. Science - lab biology- happens in 10th grade. His history class last year consisted mostly of learning to take notes from a text book then using those notes to write a summary of the weekly reading. If done right this approach can be very effective, and it may be something for you to consider doing since this skill would easily transfer to any future course and your involvement would be minimal.

For English you could pair movies with books and have him write about elements of fiction etc. and you could both watch the movies together and discuss how the book and movie compare and through that discussion generated paper topics. The possibilities are endless here~ history, nonfiction, fiction, documentary.

Another possibility would be to get Teaching Company DVDs or Netflix that covers biology since that would be a typical course of study for 10th grade.

Any plan you make hinges on the amiability of your son. Does he want to make a school plan work? How does he define education? Ultimately, what are his life goals and how does he think he will attain those goals.

I know so many women who are survivors of breast cancer, my mother included. This will not be an easy journey and your son needs to know this. Unfortunately 16 (one of my son's is also 16) is an age of self absorption. So much depends on your son's personality. Is your son the type that would turn your cancer into his own entry into understanding biology and the pathology of disease? Could this be the catalyst that will ignite his interest in the science?

Best wish and warm thought on a speedy recovery,

Wildiris

:grouphug: Rhonda :grouphug:

I am a very different type of homeschool Mom. I dream of being classical, but in reality I'm a "head above water" homeschooler.

When oldest dd was in 8th she homeschooled. Pretty much refused to do anything that year except build a website for a friend. She went back to PS for 9th and 10th.

Then she dropped the bomb on us. She wanted to homeschool again. I assigned NOTHING for her over the next two years. She hung out at the local high school and went to band (they only allowed one class). The band director let her come to the other two band classes "just for fun" (wasn't supposed to stay on campus) and she played with those bands. She originally played the clarinet but used the extra band time to learn percussion. I never thought I would have a drum set in my house since I only have girls. ;)

When she turned 18, she added a couple of classes at the community college. Amazingly, she did really well considering she hadn't taken any academic classes in a year and a half. In fact she had a 4.0 until her last semester at the CC (she met a boy :glare:).

Now, I'm learning how to homeschool a young teenager who is being treated for depression. <sigh> Once again, I'm learning to be flexible. She loves writing, so I'm going with her interest and hoping that some day she'll pick up on other subjects when the need arises. For example, over the month of November I'm only requiring a little Latin and math while she participates in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). It isn't what I had planned, but I now believe it is the best for the situation right now.

I have nearly driven DH's family crazy, because they are very academically oriented (FIL taught at the local university). I'm just trying to do what is best for my kids at the moment.

Hoping the best for you and your family. :001_smile: