Menu

Books that really move you, satisfy your soul

Ottakee

Well, shoot.  Why didn't *I* mention LOTR, a book that hits me so hard that I can't read anything else for a month after I finish it, because everything else pales in comparison?

And actually, I have read "A Canticle for Leibowitz" and enjoyed it.  That was decades ago and I don't remember it all that clearly.  It's probably time for another visit.

"The Fifth Sacred Thing" was fascinating to me, but for very specific things, like its setting (San Francisco), and its focus on the nature under the concrete there.  Reminds me of some old family stories.  

"Plain and Simple" is one book that I have read and reread and recommended, over and over.  I'm hesitant to mention it due to the ridiculous plethora of Amish Christian romance novels floating around currently.  But it's not a romance novel; rather it is the memoir of a mid-life crisis type of journey, female style, and beautifully written and quite reflective.  

LOTR and Narnia...  I get so much out of them every.single.time.  

I can remember disliking The Silver Chair as a kid.  Now that I more fully understand it, it's probably far and away my favorite Narnia story, but heartbreakingly accurate.  Puddleglum reduces me to SOBS when he defends the sun and sky to the Sorceress.  Gah.  Now I'm crying.   :leaving:

• Like 4

LOTR and Narnia...  I get so much out of them every.single.time.  

I can remember disliking The Silver Chair as a kid.  Now that I more fully understand it, it's probably far and away my favorite Narnia story, but heartbreakingly accurate.  Puddleglum reduces me to SOBS when he defends the sun and sky to the Sorceress.  Gah.  Now I'm crying.   :leaving:

Right.  And I have grown to love The Last Battle similarly, after really not appreciating it at all as a kid.

And as for sobs...there are two spots in Harry Potter that get me every. time.  

One is when Nevil comes out with the sword, knowing he will die, with no magical powers, to fight Voldemort simply because it is the right thing to do.  Oh my gosh.  And the other is when the whole school rises up to prevent Slytherin from turning Harry over to Voldemort, all simultaneously, again simply because it is the right thing to do, though obviously hopeless.  

• Like 2

No One is Here Except All of Us, by Ramona Ausubel

East of Eden, John Steinbeck

And the Mountains Echoed, Khaled Hosseini

The Cellist of Sarajevo, Steven Galloway

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, David Mitchell

The Narrow Road to the Deep North, Richard Flanagan

Girl at War, Sara Novic

A Woman in Berlin: Eight Weeks in the Conquered City: A Diary, Anonymous

• Like 1

Right.  And I have grown to love The Last Battle similarly, after really not appreciating it at all as a kid.

And as for sobs...there are two spots in Harry Potter that get me every. time.  

One is when Nevil comes out with the sword, knowing he will die, with no magical powers, to fight Voldemort simply because it is the right thing to do.  Oh my gosh.  And the other is when the whole school rises up to prevent Slytherin from turning Harry over to Voldemort, all simultaneously, again simply because it is the right thing to do, though obviously hopeless.  

Practically every scene with Nevil chokes me up.  Love him.  

• Like 3

News of the World by Paulette Jiles

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

A General Theory of Oblivion by Jose Eduardo Agualusa (also his book The Book of Chameleons)

The Plover by Brian Doyle (also his book Mink River)

The Beast: Riding the Rails and Dodging Narcos on the Migrant Trail by Oscar Martinez

Guantanamo Diary by Mohamedou Ould Slahi

The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham (we are doing a read-along of this in May in the Book-A-Week thread)

Gnarr! by Jon Gnarr

The Good Lord Bird by James McBride

A Dream in Polar Fog by Yuri Rytkheu

Sergio Y. by Alexandre Vidal Porto   

Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds by Lyanda Lynn Haupt

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 5

I love how many of these books are by authors outside of the US or feature stories/settings outside of the US.  I would also love any great suggestions for books that cover the Native American or African American experience here in the US (or other minorities) as well as other books from around the world.

• Like 2

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving 

A Widow for One Year - John Irving (just about anything by John Irving) 

The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak

Til We Have Faces - C.S. Lewis 

American Gods - Neil Gaiman (if you get the audiobook, make sure to get the 10th anniversary full-cast version. It's amazing.) 

My Brief History - Stephen Hawking 

Just Kids - Patti Smith

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami

Edited by Misha
  • Like 2

I'm glad someone else loves it too! I didn't want to say a lot and come across as nutty (not that you are!). But wow. It makes me heartsick just thinking of his level of love and devotion for Ustina.

He loved her but his love was selfish and then he had to spend his whole life making reparation.  The whole thing was a metaphor for our search for redemption.  

It was just so beautiful.  I am getting teary-eyed just thinking about.  I might reread it very soon!

Edited by Faithr
  • Like 2

Recently - 

A General Theory of Oblivion - Jose Eduardo Agualusa

Exit West - Moshin Hamid

News of the World - Paulette Jiles

The Color Purple - Alice Walker

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton

The Plover - Brian Doyle

Our Town - Thornton Wilder

Cry, The Beloved Country - Alan Paton

The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula LeGuin

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

• Like 5

Lastly, there are children's books that linger in my soul--too many to list, but when I am around people who have read them, it is amazing how often they surface in conversation. I can see how reading the Great Books can bind you as a community; for those of us who aren't quite there, reading what I might call the "Great Books for Children" also gives you a common culture that cuts across lines, and that's really satisfying. 

In this direction, The Chestry Oak is really good. It is on one of the Notgrass lists for history, and I heard on here that it was good. I bawled through the last half of the book on and off. It was very, very good. 

I also loved Inside Out and Back Again about a young refugee girl from Vietnam. It's all poems. https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Out-Back-Again-Thanhha/dp/0061962791/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493420692&sr=8-1&keywords=inside+out+and+back+again

• Like 3

I now have a lot more books to request.

I just listened to the first Call the Midwife book and really enjoyed it.

I do need to balance out these deep, soul touching books with some lighter fluff.

I just finished "A Gentleman in Moscow" and found it both light reading and uplifting. It was a bit pretentious in some ways, like the author showing off his knowledge or research in food and wine, but other than that it was an enjoyable distraction.

• Like 1

So many of the ones already mentioned are on my list.

The Grapes of Wrath

Les Miserables

The Count of Monte Cristo - shows me how the desire for revenge can consume a person

Remains of the Day - reminds me not to let chances pass me by

Anna Karenina

Born a Crime

The Way We Live Now

The God Virus

The Sunne in Splendor

The Handmaid's Tale

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

• Like 3

I've mostly read children's and young adult fiction the last few years because I lead a book club, but a very moving story I chose not to use in the club was The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo. I felt like some of the kids I had were not ready for a particular story line in it. Anything I've ready by her has been very deep and moving. 

OH!

Anna Karenena, which I read for the first time just a few years back.

One of the best, most complex books I have ever read. Superbly constructed.

yes! amazing book.

and along those lines, I decided a few years ago to focus on reading more classics and for the most part, have been impressed!

Crime and Punishment, grapes of wrath, age of innocence...

• Like 3

for modern, I love Catherynne Valente. Her novel, Deathless, is just exquisite. It blends Russian Mythology against the backdrop of the siege of Stalingrad. So beautiful and gritty, like a fairy tale for grownups.

Prepare for some weirdness though!

• Like 1

I've mostly read children's and young adult fiction the last few years because I lead a book club, but a very moving story I chose not to use in the club was The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo. I felt like some of the kids I had were not ready for a particular story line in it. Anything I've ready by her has been very deep and moving.

I bawled my eyes out through much of the book. I agree, it's a total gem.