Menu

Anyone start antidepressants recently? Support

IfIOnly

Are the initial adjustment side effects subsiding or are you in the throes of them? Has your depression and/or anxiety started to lift? Do you think this AD will work for you or will you need to try another one?

I'm in the throes of trying Lexapro. I'm soo tired since I only slept from 12-2am snd 8-10am ladt nighf. I'm taking it in the morning too. I've got a few other crazy side effects going on, but the insomnia is the most unbearable. No mood effects to speak of yet. I'm going to try my best to keep going and hope the insomnia goes away. My current doctor prescribed me the Lexapro for anxiety and depression.

Please don't quote!

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

Have you tried others? 

A family member tried prozac -- and within days it was clear it was NOT good. Switched to Zoloft, and it was helpful quickly, with none of the adverse effects of the Prozac. 

Point being, it is common to have to try multiple SSRIs to find the right one!

• Like 2

Have you tried others? ...

Point being, it is common to have to try multiple SSRIs to find the right one!

I keep hearing that, and that's why I agreed to try another AD. I've had a terrible time with insomnia with them, even though I felt human again from the mood effects, at least until the insomnia effects negated the mood effects! I have read so many Lexapro reviews online and there are some who stuck with it and the insomnia did go away. Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

Anti-depressants can take up to two weeks to have the effect you want them to have. And yes, you may have to go through

a couple of different types before you get one that works. 

The first one I took was like taking two Benadryl every time - couldn't do anything but sleep.

The second one just made me tired AND made me have to pee.

I also finally figured out the cause of my personal issue with it and have been able to stop taking them completely.

That being said, some other natural remedies you may want to try:

*daily exercise (a minimum of 30 minutes a day, if you can)

*St John's Wort or Ashwaganda

*sipping tea containing chamomile, hops, passionflower, and/or licorice root (all have sedative properties

so caution on operation heavy machinery until you know how they affect you)

*getting enough sleep. I know, I know, but really, this is about your HEALTH.

Hope you find what helps YOU!

ETA: my herbalist professor also told me to blend a whole pineapple with some added vanilla into a smoothie

and drink it. Haven't tried it yet but sounds yummy!

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 1

Hugs. It's really tough to manage sleep deprivation. That in itself is depressing. 

I'm not in the throes of depression medication, but I've just been put on antacids for potential stomach ulcer, and have had much difficulty with sleep due to the pain and constipation. It took a good week for things to get better, but now I'm feeling good.

I hope you feel better very soon. 

• Like 1

Starting or changing meds is tough...I really hope you get some positive effects of the meds soon, and that you get some decent sleep even sooner.

What will you do for your loved on if the insomnia persists? Will they try another AD? I'd rather never have an O again and gain 20 pounds than be depressed, hands down, but try as I might, insomnia affects are just too much for me. My body crashes hard. Hopefully it will be different this time. Thank you. 

Also, trialling different meds is unfortunately sometimes needed, but my experience is that unless a side effect includes significant worsening of mood, or suicidal ideation, doctors prefer you to give it a few weeks. If you've been on the meds for 4 weeks + though, I wouldn't hesitate to go back and say 'this isn't working'. Under that, and with sleep disturbance being the only issue, be prepared to hear 'give it a little more time'. ...Day 5 is much less common.

I'm in my first week and realized today that I hugged all of my kids goodnight last night. I haven't done that in I don't know how many years. I mean I hug them in the mornings and all, but after dinner I am so done. DH does all bedtime stuff. Also, I actually went to a kids activity tonight that I would have never of done before. I didn't force myself and didn't even realize it was such a big deal until one of my kids said something after. So maybe I am feeling affects already too. 

ETA: And yes, had been slacking but started up 500 mg of cal. and 400 mg of mag at dinner of before bed if I forget.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry! Thank you for the heads up about the craving and dependency warning. I haven't had a drink in sometime. I realized it had been messing with my sleep, but also read in the news about someone ODing on benadryl, ambien, and alcohol and that seriously freaked me out. I mean thye must have taken a lot, but I take benadryl and ambien for sleep every night and was having 1 drink too twice a week or so to relax and enjoy TeA. My TeA life has tanked big time, but I just don't feel good about those three in my system now. Ugh. 

I am on day 8 of Celexa. I'm taking it at night, so the sleepiness isn't too bad (though I have taken an afternoon nap I think 3 days this week, and one night I went to bed at 7 pm). My anxiety has maybe improved a little bit, but it's hard to tell. I have the physical symptoms of anxiety but not the mental ones, if that makes sense (I'm not feeling stressed or worried, but my body is overreacting like crazy!). I was on Celexa 10 years ago for anxiety/depression and it worked then, so I am pretty sure it will work soon. I'm ready for my body to calm down.

• Like 1

Hugs. It's really tough to manage sleep deprivation. That in itself is depressing. 

I'm not in the throes of depression medication, but I've just been put on antacids for potential stomach ulcer, and have had much difficulty with sleep due to the pain and constipation. It took a good week for things to get better, but now I'm feeling good.

I hope you feel better very soon. 

Thank you for that. Yay, for feeling good!  :grouphug:

I've been on Celexa or Lexapro several times (I haven't always been great at staying on them when I've been feeling better for a long time) and I always got horrible insomnia for around a week. It went away, though.

Most SSRIs are a bitch to get going on, but try to stick it out if you can until you've been on it long enough to weigh the benefit vs any lingering side effects. The only side effects you need to immediately stop them for are things like allergic reaction, suicidal thinking, psychosis. Stuff like that. The other side effects are annoying, but most will go away if you can hold out.

• Like 1

...Doctor just lowered the dose so I am hoping it helps.

I hope the lower dose helps. My doctor started me at 5mg. I'd rather start low and build up, especially since a low dose is all I may need.

• Like 1

I just started Lexapro, too. I began the end of March. I am not sure what to think. I am really bad about taking it the same time each night. I was told to take it before bed because it can make you sleepy. Well, I do take it in the evening but sometimes closer to 8:30, others closer to 9 or later. I'm trying to be more consistent. I don't know how much a little bit of time affects it. I was told by both the dr and the pharmacist it was best to take in the evening.

Honestly, I don't know if I'm any more tired. I tend to be tired on a regular basis because my kids are a pain to get to bed at night and we have early mornings. I do think it has probably helped with depression and anxiety (I'm taking it for both). I said probably because some situational stuff overlapped with my beginning it (I was anxious when dh was out of town, but he's back). I don't know if they told you, but the pharmacist pulled me aside and told me if you decide to stop, you have to wean off it. Don't stop cold turkey or I could get really sad or something.

• Like 1

...I was told by both the dr and the pharmacist it was best to take in the evening.

...I don't know if they told you, but the pharmacist pulled me aside and told me if you decide to stop, you have to wean off it. Don't stop cold turkey or I could get really sad or something.

Heart, I was told to take it at the same time each day too. Not sure if it matters if there's just a few hours difference though? I wish I could take it at night because the drowsiness during the day is awful, especially since I have sleep med drowsiness to deal with too. I've been sleeping better as in not up at night now, just lighter sleep in general. Maybe if sleep improves I'll be able to take it at night, which will mean less grogginess during the day. I'm not doing caffeine either, and all I want is a cup of tea/caffeine!

I do think it's helping with depression too, but the grogginess and lighter sleep are rough. Hopefully things improve.

• Like 2

Heart, I was told to take it at the same time each day too. Not sure if it matters if there's just a few hours difference though? I wish I could take it at night because the drowsiness during the day is awful, especially since I have sleep med drowsiness to deal with too. I've been sleeping better as in not up at night now, just lighter sleep in general. Maybe if sleep improves I'll be able to take it at night, which will mean less grogginess during the day. I'm not doing caffeine either, and all I want is a cup of tea/caffeine!

I do think it's helping with depression too, but the grogginess and lighter sleep are rough. Hopefully things improve.

It really depends on the med and on how sensitive you are. With some of the more finicky SSRIs like Paxil, you can have withdrawal symptoms if you're even a couple hours late. For most people with Lexapro it shouldn't be a big deal if you take it during a window of a couple hours. Like, you don't need to rearrange your entire schedule if there's a couple days a week you'd be an hour late or something. You'll know you need to be stricter with your med schedule if you start getting those delightful brain zaps. ;)

With me, the insomnia and interrupted sleep did improve, but the daytime grogginess didn't. You'll have to wait and see- give it a good six weeks if you can tolerate it- but it's not uncommon for some symptoms to disappear and some to hang around.

• Like 3

It really depends on the med and on how sensitive you are. With some of the more finicky SSRIs like Paxil, you can have withdrawal symptoms if you're even a couple hours late. For most people with Lexapro it shouldn't be a big deal if you take it during a window of a couple hours. Like, you don't need to rearrange your entire schedule if there's a couple days a week you'd be an hour late or something. You'll know you need to be stricter with your med schedule if you start getting those delightful brain zaps. ;)

With me, the insomnia and interrupted sleep did improve, but the daytime grogginess didn't. You'll have to wait and see- give it a good six weeks if you can tolerate it- but it's not uncommon for some symptoms to disappear and some to hang around.

Oh, thank you for all of this. Do you take yours in the evening?

Oh, thank you for all of this. Do you take yours in the evening?

I'm not on anything right now because I'm pregnant, but when I was on Lexapro I usually took it in the evening. It made me groggy to some extent all the time though, so I eventually switched to Paxil, which I don't recommend unless you're desperate and have tried literally everything else. Going on Paxil is a living hell and coming off it is (according to people on the internet) worse than kicking heroin. I can't vouch for the heroin part, but the withdrawal was horrific. It worked great for my OCD and anxiety when I was on it, though.

There did seem to be a window where the Lexapro made me the most tired. If I took it at night I was groggiest in the morning, and if I took it in the morning I was asleep by dinner. If it works like that for you, you can always try to figure out how long after you take it you're at your peak sleepiness and try to get that to coincide with your bedtime.

If Lexapro works well to treat your depression and/or anxiety but the grogginess won't go away after six weeks or so, you could try Celexa. They're chemically extremely similar. Lexapro is the newer drug and is supposed to have fewer side effects, but I always had less side effects with Celexa. I was on it for years and only switched to Lexapro because my body became too used to the Celexa and it eventually quit working for me.

• Like 3

Thank you, Mergath! Celexa and Lexapro are the two my doctor mentioned, but she decided to prescribe Lexapro. I didn't know they were closely related. Good to know more about Celexa.

Today the grogginess (like can't get out of bed kind) was gone. Like miraculously. The ringing in the ear was gone and dizziness was much less. l didn't sleep at all last night though. Besides tiredness, I was up for a walk today to the surpriseof my family. We had a nice time walking a trail along the canal together. The sunshine and sound of the water and watching my kids play was lovely. I'm def. noticing mood improvement.

I had my husband get me up early to take the med and then went back to trying to sleep, so hopefully taking it earlier in the day. My insomnia is weird and could have bern becsuse I had two cups of tea yesterday too. Ugh.

• Like 3

My husband was on one, and had nausea and sweating and well..difficulty finishing TeA. The nausea went way after a week or so, the other two did not. Which ended up with him going off the meds due to those side effects. 

Not gong to lie, I REALLY wish he'd stayed on them. 

• Like 1

I started Lexapro a couple of months ago. The insomnia was pretty bad for me at first but did let up some. I've dealt with insomnia before, it actually let up through pregnancy and never returned to being really bad like before. After the initial dip into insomnia from the lexapro, I am now at a point that my sleep is worse than before the lexapro, but not nearly what it was before pregnancies.

My appetite has also been hit or miss since starting it. Not as severe as when I was on an add med, though. That one made me sick and I hardly ate. On the lexapro I just often get that "ugh, nothing sounds good" and I'm more likely to pick at my food. 

It has helped, though, so for now I've stuck with it. I am too tired to deal with changing meds to find something perfect. 

I take Luvox (another SSRI) for OCD, and it is known to slow the metabolism of caffeine. It increases the half-life of a caffeine dose of 100 to 200 mg. from 5 hours to over 30 hours! Prozac and Paxil also slow the clearance of caffeine from the body. I haven't read anything about Lexapro, but if you can stay away from caffeine at least temporarily, it might help.

Glad to know you are feeling better. You've received some great advice here that is also helpful for me. Thanks, all! 

• Like 1

I'm not on anything right now because I'm pregnant, but when I was on Lexapro I usually took it in the evening. It made me groggy to some extent all the time though, so I eventually switched to Paxil, which I don't recommend unless you're desperate and have tried literally everything else. Going on Paxil is a living hell and coming off it is (according to people on the internet) worse than kicking heroin. I can't vouch for the heroin part, but the withdrawal was horrific. It worked great for my OCD and anxiety when I was on it, though.

There did seem to be a window where the Lexapro made me the most tired. If I took it at night I was groggiest in the morning, and if I took it in the morning I was asleep by dinner. If it works like that for you, you can always try to figure out how long after you take it you're at your peak sleepiness and try to get that to coincide with your bedtime.

If Lexapro works well to treat your depression and/or anxiety but the grogginess won't go away after six weeks or so, you could try Celexa. They're chemically extremely similar. Lexapro is the newer drug and is supposed to have fewer side effects, but I always had less side effects with Celexa. I was on it for years and only switched to Lexapro because my body became too used to the Celexa and it eventually quit working for me.

I have been thinking about going back on meds after a few years of being off. I was going to ask the dr for Paxil. I tried it once before and it made my anxiety go through the roof but I'm thinking if I can get through that, it will be okay. But, you're scaring me with this!

I started Lexapro a couple of months ago. The insomnia was pretty bad for me at first but did let up some. I've dealt with insomnia before, it actually let up through pregnancy and never returned to being really bad like before. After the initial dip into insomnia from the lexapro, I am now at a point that my sleep is worse than before the lexapro, but not nearly what it was before pregnancies.

My appetite has also been hit or miss since starting it. Not as severe as when I was on an add med, though. That one made me sick and I hardly ate. On the lexapro I just often get that "ugh, nothing sounds good" and I'm more likely to pick at my food.

It has helped, though, so for now I've stuck with it. I am too tired to deal with changing meds to find something perfect.

Have you talked with your doctor about the insomnia? Maybe lowering the dose could help or another easy fix. Are you taking the Lexapro in the morning? I'm sorry you're so tired. :(

My husband was on one, and had nausea and sweating and well..difficulty finishing TeA. The nausea went way after a week or so, the other two did not. Which ended up with him going off the meds due to those side effects.

Not gong to lie, I REALLY wish he'd stayed on them.

:( Thank you for sharing. It's good to hear from someone affected by their spouse's depression about antidepressants.

• Like 1

Glad to know you are feeling better. You've received some great advice here that is also helpful for me. Thanks, all!

Thank you for sharing why caffeine can effect people taking ADs so much.

The support here has meant so much to me and has made this transition so much easier. Thank you, all.

• Like 2

I have been thinking about going back on meds after a few years of being off. I was going to ask the dr for Paxil. I tried it once before and it made my anxiety go through the roof but I'm thinking if I can get through that, it will be okay. But, you're scaring me with this!

Hey, don't get me wrong- when Paxil works, it WORKS. It was amazing for my OCD while I was on it. For anxiety especially, it's highly effective. It's pretty potent though, and not generally something doctors try first. But if your particular illness doesn't respond well to other SSRIs, totally give it a try. And you might not have the issues with it that some people have.

I wouldn't start it if there's a chance you could get pregnant, though. It's the only SSRI (to my knowledge) that's category D. And believe me, you do not want to go through Paxil withdrawal while also dealing with morning sickness. BTDT and I would not recommend it.

• Like 1

OP, I should have also mentioned that I have never been able to take my SSRI at night. It causes horrible insomnia for me. I just have to take it in the morning and at lunchtime and deal with the sleepiness. I find that if I am able to get a solid 8 or 9 hours of sleep at night and then a short nap in the afternoon, it is not too bad. 

I've been on it over a year and tried to switch to nighttime dosing after about 6 (?) months with no success. I plan to try again sometime soon.

The other side effects are discouraging sometimes, too, but it really has worked beautifully. Hope you are able to get some sleep and that your side effects lessen soon.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

And let me say, good for you for trying to make it work! I really really wish my husband had managed to stay on something, or try something else. I know depression is hard on the person suffereing with it, but it's also hard on the whole family. The cloud of doom and gloom is miserable for everyone, and it is admirable you are addressing it. 

• Like 2

I didn't sleep at all again last night. I laid in bed all night and rested, and my sleeping meds kept me calm and drowsy. Maybe I slept a little but I don't think so. Normally I would feel horrible after not much sleep but I feel okay because of the antidepressants. I'm a little shaky from lack of sleep and that's about it.

I've been reading online that some people do well with a 2.5 mg dose or an every other day 5 mg. Since I'm feeling effects so soon, I think I'll be okay with a lower dose. I skipped my dose this morning and will take a half dose tomorrow.

The other thing is some docs prescribe a sleep aid in my insomnia situation which can be a great combo, but I'm already on ambien, benadryl, and melatonin.

I'm also going to start taking some milk thistle today for liver support. My doctor mentioned that my insomnia response could liver related.

I really hope i don't have to go off of the Lexapro, but I'm going to start researching other antidepressants as switching options. I have come across people online who could just not do ADs because everything kept them awake. :(

I had insomnia issues with Lexapro, and I'm now on Zoloft and have the opposite problem.  Go figure!

Are you seeing a therapist as well?  The meds, for me, have been great at getting me stable, but it's the CBT/mindfulness that's really changed my day-to-day life.

I hope you're feeling better today  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Have you talked with your doctor about the insomnia? Maybe lowering the dose could help or another easy fix. Are you taking the Lexapro in the morning? I'm sorry you're so tired. :(

I haven't. Honestly he's such an easy going doctor he hasn't had me come back in at all. I had to do a phone check in at one month and when I said I was okay with it, he called it in. At the end of month two he called in the next month for me without me even calling in. It's just been easier to keep going with what I have than try to make changes. I take it at night. Morning isn't an option for me to try. I have ADD as well and I simply cannot remember to take it in the am. No matter what I do. This is the main reason add meds have always failed with me. Even setting multiple alarms, I turn them off and getting from one room to the next I forget. Or I get distracted til it's too late in the day to take it. 

I didn't sleep at all again last night. I laid in bed all night and rested, and my sleeping meds kept me calm and drowsy. Maybe I slept a little but I don't think so. Normally I would feel horrible after not much sleep but I feel okay because of the antidepressants. I'm a little shaky from lack of sleep and that's about it.

I've been reading online that some people do well with a 2.5 mg dose or an every other day 5 mg. Since I'm feeling effects so soon, I think I'll be okay with a lower dose. I skipped my dose this morning and will take a half dose tomorrow.

The other thing is some docs prescribe a sleep aid in my insomnia situation which can be a great combo, but I'm already on ambien, benadryl, and melatonin.

I'm also going to start taking some milk thistle today for liver support. My doctor mentioned that my insomnia response could liver related.

I really hope i don't have to go off of the Lexapro, but I'm going to start researching other antidepressants as switching options. I have come across people online who could just not do ADs because everything kept them awake. :(

Do you need the benedryl for other things? It can make some people wired rather than sleepy. DD needed benedryl a few weeks ago so we skipped her melatonin thinking the benedryl would knock her out and she wouldn't need it. She was bouncing off the ceiling after half an hour in bed. Literally. Her loft bed is pretty high and she was lying on her back, feet pressed against ceiling, alternately pushing against back and feet to bounce really hard. We gave her a slightly higher dose of melatonin than usual at that point but it took a while. 

Edited by Whovian10
  • Like 1

Hey, don't get me wrong- when Paxil works, it WORKS. It was amazing for my OCD while I was on it. For anxiety especially, it's highly effective. It's pretty potent though, and not generally something doctors try first. But if your particular illness doesn't respond well to other SSRIs, totally give it a try. And you might not have the issues with it that some people have.

I wouldn't start it if there's a chance you could get pregnant, though. It's the only SSRI (to my knowledge) that's category D. And believe me, you do not want to go through Paxil withdrawal while also dealing with morning sickness. BTDT and I would not recommend it.

Thanks for responding. It would be a last ditch effort for me. I haven't had much luck with others so I might still give it a try.

• Like 1

I had insomnia issues with Lexapro, and I'm now on Zoloft and have the opposite problem. Go figure!

Are you seeing a therapist as well? The meds, for me, have been great at getting me stable, but it's the CBT/mindfulness that's really changed my day-to-day life.

I hope you're feeling better today :grouphug: :grouphug:

Do you mean the Zoloft helped you sleep? My doctor was really hoping this particular AD worked because it especially helps with lowering excito neurotransmitters or something like that. I should email her.

I'm not sure what CBT is. I'll have to look into it. I saw a therapist for awhile but we couldn't sustain the $500 monthly bill.

I haven't. Honestly he's such an easy going doctor he hasn't had me come back in at all. I had to do a phone check in at one month and when I said I was okay with it, he called it in. At the end of month two he called in the next month for me without me even calling in. It's just been easier to keep going with what I have than try to make changes. I take it at night. Morning isn't an option for me to try. I have ADD as well and I simply cannot remember to take it in the am. No matter what I do. This is the main reason add meds have always failed with me. Even setting multiple alarms, I turn them off and getting from one room to the next I forget. Or I get distracted til it's too late in the day to take it.

Do you need the benedryl for other things? It can make some people wired rather than sleepy. DD needed benedryl a few weeks ago so we skipped her melatonin thinking the benedryl would knock her out and she wouldn't need it. She was bouncing off the ceiling after half an hour in bed. Literally. Her loft bed is pretty high and she was lying on her back, feet pressed against ceiling, alternately pushing against back and feet to bounce really hard. We gave her a slightly higher dose of melatonin than usual at that point but it took a while.

I hear you about having a hard time remembering! I know it's early on and I'm not taking much but the Lexapro wasn't really helping my concentration. I read recently that ADD meds can help with mood and concentration. Maybe i should look into that.

The sleep med combo is something I've taken for about a year now and works fine unless I'm taking something that causes even worse insomnia like b vitamins, D, and a bunch of other things.

Do you mean the Zoloft helped you sleep? My doctor was really hoping this particular AD worked because it especially helps with lowering excito neurotransmitters or something like that. I should email her.

I'm not sure what CBT is. I'll have to look into it. I saw a therapist for awhile but we couldn't sustain the $500 monthly bill.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It helps rewire your brain so you don't fall so easily into distorted thought patterns.

A therapist can help guide you but the real work happens inside your own head on a daily basis; there are books that can walk you through much of CBT on your own if you can commit to working on it.

Here is one that popped up on a search:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1462520421/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493712806&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cbt+workbook&dpPl=1&dpID=51algK3M6lL&ref=plSrch

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

The Zoloft makes me ridiculously sleepy.  When I was taking it in the morning, I was literally passing out on the couch around 4pm.  One of my issues pre-meds was that I'd be able to fall asleep fine, but then I'd wake up around 3 or 4am and not be able to get back to sleep even though I was exhausted.  Taking them at night had the nice side effect that even if I woke up in the early morning, I'd fall back asleep.  I know Lexapro is supposed to be "all that" for anxiety, but the Zoloft works much better for me for both the anxiety and depression.

I'll probably delete this all later, but:

TRIGGER WARNING for suicidal ideation

For me, the meds gave me the space to work on myself.  I've linked this before, but reframing my unhelpful thinking styles has been life-changing for me.  Before meds and therapy, I'd say 95% of my thoughts fit at least one of those categories.  Learning to "catch" the thoughts and rewrite them ("I should've remembered I left the sheets in the washer!" to "I'd prefer it if I'd remembered to switch the sheets, oh well, time to rewash them") seemed so silly when I started, but it was amazing how much changing how I talked to myself changed my mood.  I mean, who wouldn't be depressed if somebody followed them around constantly telling them they weren't doing enough, that what they were doing was wrong anyway, that they were worthless, etc?

I don't want to pry, but in case this helps - I went through some trauma when I was a young teen.  My therapist explained that trauma at that age often leads to an overwhelming feeling of shame.  Basically, it lead to me being convinced that I was worthless and unworthy of anything, to discount any of my feelings ("I don't have any reason to be sad, look at how blessed I am!"), to the point where I'd convinced myself that my kids would be better off without me because I was causing them irreparable harm just by existing.  I was lucky enough to find a postpartum depression program that helped me start working through some of these issues, and I thank God for that program and therapists every day.

I've found Brene Brown to be helpful for shame issues.  Besides the TED talks, she's got a few books, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

*end trigger*

The fact that you're seeking help is huge, and it can be discouraging when you can't see immediate results or when you have to try different meds or therapists to find something that works for you.  You must be strong to have gotten this far, so please just keep up hope that it will get better.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It helps rewire your brain so you don't fall so easily into distorted thought patterns.

A therapist can help guide you but the real work happens inside your own head on a daily basis; there are books that can walk you through much of CBT on your own if you can commit to working on it.

Here is one that popped up on a search:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1462520421/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493712806&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cbt+workbook&dpPl=1&dpID=51algK3M6lL&ref=plSrch

I also highly recommend reading this book:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0316113514/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1493713137&sr=8-4

Medication + therapy + exercise will get you a lot farther than medication alone will.

Thank you for the thoughts and book recommendations. I'm looking forward to reading the books.  Exercise is tricky for me, especially because of adrenal and fatigue issues.  I do need to make a plan for what I can do though and be consistent. 

The Zoloft makes me ridiculously sleepy.  When I was taking it in the morning, I was literally passing out on the couch around 4pm.  One of my issues pre-meds was that I'd be able to fall asleep fine, but then I'd wake up around 3 or 4am and not be able to get back to sleep even though I was exhausted.  Taking them at night had the nice side effect that even if I woke up in the early morning, I'd fall back asleep.  I know Lexapro is supposed to be "all that" for anxiety, but the Zoloft works much better for me for both the anxiety and depression.

The fact that you're seeking help is huge, and it can be discouraging when you can't see immediate results or when you have to try different meds or therapists to find something that works for you.  You must be strong to have gotten this far, so please just keep up hope that it will get better.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Thank you so much for the Zoloft info. I will keep this in mind. 

Thank you for sharing your story and those kind words.  :crying:  I'm not sure where to go from here and am struggling with feeling defeated, but I really appreciate the encouragement.