Menu

Books like Mindware Perplexors (logic puzzles), but PDF?? ETA: Prufrock Press ebooks question....

Does any company make books like midware's logic puzzles, but pdf??

DS13 likes the grid and regular perplexors, but I would prefer PDF so I can print and whole punch. Plus sometimes he makes a mistake and needs a fresh copy to start over on iykwim.

ETA: Found prufrock by using Amazon and would love those for younger kids, but I recall reading that the pdfs do not allow printing????? Anyone use their ebooks?

Edited by Um_2_4

The Critical Thinking Company has MindBenders in eBook formula.  Would that work?

You might want to poke around the website for other options, as well.

Jinx!

I guess great minds think alike! :laugh:

BTW, OP, if you are interested in these, I have a coupon code for CTC right now.  Just PM me.

Thanks looks like some of the higher levels might work. I just thought they were a bit simpler last time I looked at them. I'll look again.

Tin Man Press

https://www.tinmanpress.com/

Have you ever used any ebooks from there? I thought I remembered a thread about not being able to print??? 

Just took a look, I don't see the logic books I thought they used to have??  Plus most programs they offer seem to stop at 6th grade.

Did the company split or something??

I'm really wanting more like those dell logic books/magazines (I used to love those in the summer) but printable and on white paper (hate newsprint),

Ok, Amazon led me to prufrock press..... that is one I recall that I think had issues with printing??

Anyone use these as ebooks? I would love some of them for the twins (2nd grade) and DD10 (5th).

Prufrock's site says "Up to 100 pages of text may be printed and copied from any ADE protected book (PDF or ePub) purchased on the Prufrock Press website."

The paper copies allow you to make copies for a classroom. Is there a specific reason you cannot buy the paper copies and just make multiple copies?

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

Prufrock Press ebooks printed fine for me from my old laptop. When I switched to my new laptop (same printer, same settings), they didn't work right any more - pages are slightly enlarged and part of each page gets chopped off. Searching for solutions to the problem online, I just found responses asking why you would want to print the pages from the ebooks anyway, with an accusatory tone like the person was doing something unethical. (Note: I don't recall whether those responses were from Prufrock Press or others.)

I will no longer buy ebooks from them or anyone who sells them in that format. Not worth it.

ETA: I have still bought their products, but only in paperback.

Edited by purpleowl
  • Like 1

Does any company make books like midware's logic puzzles, but pdf??

DS13 likes the grid and regular perplexors, but I would prefer PDF so I can print and whole punch. Plus sometimes he makes a mistake and needs a fresh copy to start over on iykwim.

ETA: Found prufrock by using Amazon and would love those for younger kids, but I recall reading that the pdfs do not allow printing????? Anyone use their ebooks?

I really hate DRM that makes it difficult to use products I purchase. I did buy an ebook from Prufrock and was able to remove the DRM. I think I uploaded it to Google Drive (GD removes the DRM), and then downloaded it back to my computer.

If that didn't work, then I probably tried importing it into Calibre and then using the converted file - but I think I did use the Google Drive method.

• Like 1

Prufrock's site says "Up to 100 pages of text may be printed and copied from any ADE protected book (PDF or ePub) purchased on the Prufrock Press website."

The paper copies allow you to make copies for a classroom. Is there a specific reason you cannot buy the paper copies and just make multiple copies?

Oh, I could and have done so with lollipop logic 1. I usually calculate # of book pages to be copied vs cost of the book and sometimes just buy them each their own copy. But I love pdfs as I organize them in my cloud by subject/year/student and can print quickly. Copying just takes more time.

Critical Thinking books are the ones that are finicky over printing.

I've never used Prufrock Press as an ebook.

Hmm, Critical thinking has worked ok for me, though the only pdf I have are their thinking skills series. I was planning to get the rest of the word roots series in PDF.

Prufrock Press ebooks printed fine for me from my old laptop. When I switched to my new laptop (same printer, same settings), they didn't work right any more - pages are slightly enlarged and part of each page gets chopped off. Searching for solutions to the problem online, I just found responses asking why you would want to print the pages from the ebooks anyway, with an accusatory tone like the person was doing something unethical. (Note: I don't recall whether those responses were from Prufrock Press or others.)

I will no longer buy ebooks from them or anyone who sells them in that format. Not worth it.

ETA: I have still bought their products, but only in paperback.

I think your post is the one I remember reading in the past that made me shy away at the time.

I really hate DRM that makes it difficult to use products I purchase. I did buy an ebook from Prufrock and was able to remove the DRM. I think I uploaded it to Google Drive (GD removes the DRM), and then downloaded it back to my computer.

If that didn't work, then I probably tried importing it into Calibre and then using the converted file - but I think I did use the Google Drive method.

Hmm.. I use google drive all the time. I could get one and try it. Thanks

I think your post is the one I remember reading in the past that made me shy away at the time.

Probably...I love the Logic Countdown series, but I don't want others to have the same issue I did! 

I just tried uploading a protected pdf to Google Drive. Drive was unable to open it; it gave me the option to re-download it, which I did, and then the downloaded file wouldn't open either. I don't have Calibre so don't know about using that.

Probably...I love the Logic Countdown series, but I don't want others to have the same issue I did! 

I just tried uploading a protected pdf to Google Drive. Drive was unable to open it; it gave me the option to re-download it, which I did, and then the downloaded file wouldn't open either. I don't have Calibre so don't know about using that.

Calibre is free! It has a bit of a learning curve, but if you follow the directions it is straight forward. https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/calibre-plugins-the-simplest-option-for-removing-most-ebook-drm/