Menu

Teaching dyslexics science

I have been scouring the net looking for materials to teach science next year. Of course I have not come across the perfect curriculum, nor even a good enough one. I did find a great article on how to teach dyslexics science so thought I'd share. https://www.ase.org.uk/journals/primary-science/2010/03/112/2142/PSR112Mar-Apr2010p29.pdf

Edited by LLMom

Interesting article.  It confirms everything I've intuitively done to tweak courses for my dyslexic dd.  

Take a look at Supercharged Science - Of all the programs I've looked at, they are the most adept at offering hands-on, open-ended projects, with real-world application.  The reading is minimal too, since most of the content is delivered by video.  

• Like 2

OP, what do you consider to be the perfect curriculum?

Actually I don't think it exists and I don't think I can pull off creating my own because of the time involved with doing that. ( I work part time and have 3 other minor children at home). Supercharge looks great BUT I don't .think I can afford it! My daughter is going into 7th grade, loves science, needs video and/or computer program for the bulk of the work and lots of hands on stuff. She loves experiments and activities but many of them fail when we just get a book and do them. She also doesn't retain nearly as much if I read to her. She is very visual plus I don't have time to read a lot. I want to make it fun and interesting since it is her favorite subject.

For incremental and hands on programs, depending on the ages, a friend of mine has had really good success with Nancy Larson Science. I've also heard of people having good success with Elemental Science and Science in the Beginning. We used Supercharged one year, and it was very hands-on--it worked well for an interest-led science year, but expensive if you buy it. Not really a structured program though (at least not just doing the online program), as far as leading you through or telling you what to do next. 

Are you looking to cover life, chemistry, or physical science? Are you using Bookshare and/or LearningAlly yet?

Sounds like you want everything laid out with documentaries and experiments that work.

A bit from each. She prefers it that way. I do have a Learning Ally account, but she hates audio books. I do make her listen to some things especially when I work. We have tried both Apologia and Elemental science. Not our thing at all. I am looking into Adaptive curriculum science as a spine since it is online/ video.

I cannot give a review but I'm trying http://www.explorationeducation.com/Gvideo.html with my 12 year old son this year.

They have a video on how it operates at the link though to give you an idea. It has a project (supply kit included) a video, some reading with questions so not sure where your daughter would be with that, enough structure many kids can do on their own (not sure that will work with my boy), and you can use your project and test some things on your own if your child has an interest. My friend's kids had my child asking for it last year so it must engage some kids. :)

Wish I could tell you how it worked for us but it sounds interesting enough I thought I'd share anyway.

• Like 1

I cannot give a review but I'm trying http://www.explorationeducation.com/Gvideo.html with my 12 year old son this year.

They have a video on how it operates at the link though to give you an idea. It has a project (supply kit included) a video, some reading with questions so not sure where your daughter would be with that, enough structure many kids can do on their own (not sure that will work with my boy), and you can use your project and test some things on your own if your child has an interest. My friend's kids had my child asking for it last year so it must engage some kids. :)

Wish I could tell you how it worked for us but it sounds interesting enough I thought I'd share anyway.

I have seen this and love the looks of it, but my daughter doesn't want to do a full year of physics. We like to study several areas a year in science and are finishing this year with physics and chemistry. I wish they had earth and life science!

I have seen this and love the looks of it, but my daughter doesn't want to do a full year of physics. We like to study several areas a year in science and are finishing this year with physics and chemistry. I wish they had earth and life science!

Interesting article.  It confirms everything I've intuitively done to tweak courses for my dyslexic dd.  

Take a look at Supercharged Science - Of all the programs I've looked at, they are the most adept at offering hands-on, open-ended projects, with real-world application.  The reading is minimal too, since most of the content is delivered by video.  

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/Supercharged-Science/

• Like 1