Menu

Speech therapy stall.

We've been with the same therapy clinic since moving to Wichita Falls in September of 2015, and in that time my 8yo son and I have worked with four different speech therapists. The first one administered an IQ test after I specifically told her I didn't want her to do it, so I asked for a different therapist. Since then two more have moved away from the area. The one we're currently working with is okay, but I don't get much useful feedback from him and he never gives us homework. I think all of the progress my son has made in the past 6 months has been due to maturity rather than therapy. I'm hesitant to ask for a different therapist since we've already been through the first incident. I'm thinking of just starting my own teaching/evaluation process by working through the Building Thinking Skills books and working on any problem areas as they pop up. Thoughts? Are there other workbooks that might be better?

You can get a lot of good materials through Linguisystems, Super Duper, Gander Publishing, TeachersPayTeachers, and so on. What specifically are his goals?

A SLP should definitely *NOT* be administering an IQ test because that is outside the scope-of-practice. Now it is fine to do a cognitive screening to see whether or not a referral to a psychologist is warranted, but I'm talking a quick pass/refer type thing that doesn't give an actual number. And if the parent specifically expressed a desire for me to not do a screening, I would respect that (but if I felt it important for the child to have an evaluation for intellectual or developmental disabilities, I might require one before accepting the child as a client).

• Like 2

As far as your speech therapist -- maybe you can schedule a parent appointment to talk, or ask for a moment to talk. Say you would like more feedback. Say you would like homework.

If it doesn't improve with really being specific and trying to find a time when it is not rushed -- I think you can tell your concerns to a supervisor and see what response you get. That could be -- improvement or they say it will improve, or it could be change therapists.

If you don't think much is happening I think it is appropriate.

Good luck!

If your not happy, I would switch. What's the use in paying for and dedicating time to therapy that you don't think is working. We switched speech therapists a lot and I know there were some hurt feelings. If you switch and you still don't feel its useful then I would do it at home.

And there are a lot of great apps for speech therapy depending on what his goals are. We have a ton after four and a half years of therapy.