Menu

The Best Season Ever (Lacrosse Content)

Spy Car

It has been one of those magical years. One of the sorts that inspires films and fables, but is a real-life rarity.

I'm in year 5 coaching a youth lacrosse team. The first season I volunteered to help out as an Asst Coach. The next year we lost our coach and guess who was superannuated to Head Coach?

We've had good teams, but not great ones. Last year the talent was very deep, but we had too many players focused solely on their own glory. We finished third.

This year our ranks were almost wiped out. Ten of the 17 players were brand new. The new guys could not catch, or throw, or complete a pass. Most were either small or slow. I must admit that after or first practices it seemed like it might be a long season.

But I turned to our veterans—at least one of whom was despondant—and asked them to mentor the new players. I reminded each they were not fully formed when they came to the team, and that now was the time for them to show kindness and leadership.

And we started working together. And boys bonded. And players got encouraged. And a team culture formed where generous play became the rule. And just before opening day, everything clicked. It was "the Bad News Bears."

"

Opening day we played two games and absolutely dominated. I could almost not believe my eyes. Beautiful passing, great team play, and a Defense that would not quit. There was a true championship spirit in the works.

Long story short, my boys have gone 10-0 overall, and are 7-0 in league.

One game to go before the championship playoffs.

And spirits are so high. Parents feel it. Coaches feel it. Players feel it. I feel it.

One dreams as a coach in a sport like lacrosse that one can instill honor, generosity, team spirit, and help connect players with the primordial instincts within (so they play "in the zone"). That dream isn't always realized.

But this year? This year has caused me to weep tears of joy. I'm so blessed to have such fine young men who have bonded, become friends, and show each other complete support and respect. They understand why they are winning. And what is truly important in their victories.

It has been a truly gratifying experience.

Just thought I'd share.

Bill

• Like 32

How exciting! I bet you are a great coach, Bill! I was a part of a team like that in high school and it was magical. (I was one of those new kids.)

The last time I experienced this was *gulp* over 40 years ago when I coached the Junior Class Girl's football team to victory over the Seniors, breaking a 17-year-old record that when back to the beginning of the traditional game.

That game was so fun, and a HUGE deal at my High School. It was a night game, with the band, the boy's footballers as cheerleaders, and a stadium packed to absolute capacity.

My girls were in an emotional fever-pitch that (dumb boy that I was) I hadn't been fully aware that females could hit. My attitudes forever changed after leading this team. They had the magical thing my lacrosse team has this year.

You know what I mean. There is nothing like looking into the eyes of players who have their adrenaline racing in anticipation of a game start and who are working in an all-for-one and one-for-all type head space.

There is a beauty in these moments that one never forgets.

Bill

• Like 4

What a great story! I am so grateful for my DS17 being on the LAX team at his school. He is really getting that connection with his peers and it is so, so good for him. They played yesterday in the cold, driving rain and my son pulled a "Rusty Gate" move that knocked the ball from opponent possession; the teammates went wild. They ultimately lost by one point, but he was so jazzed from making that great play. So good for him!

• Like 4

What a great story! I am so grateful for my DS17 being on the LAX team at his school. He is really getting that connection with his peers and it is so, so good for him. They played yesterday in the cold, driving rain and my son pulled a "Rusty Gate" move that knocked the ball from opponent possession; the teammates went wild. They ultimately lost by one point, but he was so jazzed from making that great play. So good for him!

Great story Quill. The old Rusty Gate maneuver. Well done.

Fun game, huh?

Bill

• Like 1

I actually had goose bumps reading your post. I'm a sucker for a good underdog story.   :)

Congrats!

And a nicer bunch of kids you will never meet.

The little ones proved to be quick, and "slow ones" responded to conditioning (and weren't really slow, but were just out-of-shape). And they all improved so fast with lots of nurturing from our veterans that my mind still boggles.

You should hear my team talk about their experience this year. They know something very special is happening.

I'm incredibly grateful to be part of it.

Bill 

• Like 1

He's swinging between varsity and JV this year (sophomore) on the high school team. Defense. He's looking to play in college too, hopefully on the west coast.

I send absurdly long emails to the team after every game where I attempt to write something to sincerely praise every player. In most of these novels I include my mantra that "Defense wins games!"

It's the truth.

The West coast is on the rise. It is breaking my heart that the otherwise perfect High School my son will likely attend does not have a Lacrosse team. I've been prodding the Athletic Director, but it seems to be a brick wall.

Bill

I send absurdly long emails to the team after every game where I attempt to write something to sincerely praise every player. In most of these novels I include my mantra that "Defense wins games!"

It's the truth.

The West coast is on the rise. It is breaking my heart that the otherwise perfect High School my son will likely attend does not have a Lacrosse team. I've been prodding the Athletic Director, but it seems to be a brick wall.

Bill

Are there club teams?The ones here are very competitive. 

The club teams started first here (Parents who had played coached.), then the private schools added it, then some of the public schools. 

Edited by ScoutTN

Are there club teams?The ones here are very competitive. 

The club teams started first here (Parents who had played coached.), then the private schools added it, then some of the public schools. 

There are some club teams. Not exactly close by, and not the same as being on a school team.

He has 2 years to play on our current team, but I wish our public school had lacrosse. The public school closest to our home does have a team. But....

Bill 

Well, my Bad News Bears finished up the regular season with a big (10-0) win today.

So they are 8-0 in league and 11-0 on the season. Undefeated!

Wooo Hooo!!!

I did not successfully hold back the tears of joy.

Nicest bunch of boys ever. Sometimes the universe is just.

3 game play-offs next week. Wish us luck.

Bill

• Like 11

This year has caused me to weep tears of joy. I'm so blessed to have such fine young men who have bonded, become friends, and show each other complete support and respect. They understand why they are winning. And what is truly important in their victories.

Thanks for sharing, Bill. This sounds very special.

I am a non-competitive, athletically challenged girl.  Dh and ds are naturally athletic and fairly competitive.  I am thankful that my sports watching days are nearly over.

That said, it is a delight to witness that special team that understands that team sport is about teamwork.  It is rare and wonderful when boys become friends as well as teammates.

Many, many years ago, towards the end of a winning season in soccer, ds's coach told the team that if they won all their remaining games, he would let them shave his head.  OMG.  Those boys were so inspired.  They talked and talked and talked about it in great anticipation.  They did indeed get to shave the coach's head.

That is fantastic!  Great job!!!

(My 8th grader broke his leg during a LAX tournament at the very end of spring season last year.  What you think he did in the game two weeks ago?  Broke his hand...)

Ouch!

Fortunately, one of the dad's whose boy has been with me for 4 years is an Orthopedic surgeon and he serves as our Team Physician. He is always on the sideline and we call on him frequently. Today he tended to one of our players who took a bad slash to the back of the neck. 

But—knock wood—no serious injuries in the 5 years I've coached. 

Hope your boy heals quickly!

Bill

• Like 1

Funny, the orthopedic surgeon gave permission to play with the cast on, but he can't hold the stick.  His high school (for which varsity won some sort of state championship last year) has a short freshman lax camp at the end of the month.  I think he's only interested in the recreational level, but he should have his cast off in time for the camp.  I saw one of the high school's teams the other afternoon - those boys are so tall!

Funny, the orthopedic surgeon gave permission to play with the cast on, but he can't hold the stick.  His high school (for which varsity won some sort of state championship last year) has a short freshman lax camp at the end of the month.  I think he's only interested in the recreational level, but he should have his cast off in time for the camp.  I saw one of the high school's teams the other afternoon - those boys are so tall!

Not being able to hold a stick might make playing LAX a little difficult. 

Staying active with summer camp is always good. You never know what will happen when the hormones kick in.

Bill

• Like 1

I don't know the first thing about lacrosse, but I got goosebumps reading this. I'm SO happy for you and those boys!!!!  I also know that you've expressed before your conflict about the good that football provides young men versus the dangers and I'm glad you find a sport that maybe still provides those good things with perhaps less risk of head injury. (not sure...like I said, i know nothing of lacrosse, other than my aunt lives in a town named that, lol). 

• Like 2

Congrats, Bill, on your team's season!

For those of you who aren't familiar with the game, there is a movie that is sometimes on cable, or you can probably find online, called a "Warrior's Heart", that would at least give you an idea of what the sport is about. It is a sport that is becoming more and more popular. It is already popular on the East Coast, but is making it's way to the MidWest. We noticed more and more teams coming from the MidWest when our twins played club.

Edited by school17777

I don't know the first thing about lacrosse, but I got goosebumps reading this. I'm SO happy for you and those boys!!!! I also know that you've expressed before your conflict about the good that football provides young men versus the dangers and I'm glad you find a sport that maybe still provides those good things with perhaps less risk of head injury. (not sure...like I said, i know nothing of lacrosse, other than my aunt lives in a town named that, lol).

You hit the nail on the head. I loved playing football as a kid. I loved the game and the team building and championship-spirit awakening aspects of that sport seemed almost unique to me.

But as a parent I'm mindful of the head injury risks. And also that I have a kid who is lean and strong and like to bang around, but isn't built like the bruisers playing youth football today. Lacrosse has filled the void, not just from him, but for virtually all the players on my team and I'd suspect most in our league.

A neat aspect of lacrosse is that there a places on the feild for big guys, and small ones, and medium built runners like my son.

And the intensity of a tough team sport is there. The comraderie potentional is high.

The concussion risk is not zero. But coaching not to ever lead with the head (which is illegal) is my number one mission as a coach. I speak with officials per-game, every game, urging them to be on top of player safety and tell them if it is one of mine to call a penalty on them (has not happened yet).

But yeah, I think this sport has been for my son what football and rugby were for me. Both are games where you go out and feel like a warrior. I wish it had been around on the West Coast when I was a boy. But are we enjoying now.

The look my players have in their eyes going into games is the same one I remember having myself. It is a beautiful thing.

Bill

• Like 3

You hit the nail on the head. I loved playing football as a kid. I loved the game and the team building and championship-spirit awakening aspects of that sport seemed almost unique to me.

But as a parent I'm mindful of the head injury risks. And also that I have a kid who is lean and strong and like to bang around, but isn't built like the bruisers playing youth football today. Lacrosse has filled the void, not just from him, but for virtually all the players on my team and I'd suspect most in our league.

A neat aspect of lacrosse is that there a places on the feild for big guys, and small ones, and medium built runners like my son.

And the intensity of a tough team sport is there. The comraderie potentional is high.

The concussion risk is not zero. But coaching not to ever lead with the head (which is illegal) is my number one mission as a coach. I speak with officials per-game, every game, urging them to be on top of player safety and tell them if it is one of mine to call a penalty on them (has not happened yet).

But yeah, I think this sport has been for my son what football and rugby were for me. Both are games where you go out and feel like a warrior. I wish it had been around on the West Coast when I was a boy. But are we enjoying now.

The look my players have in their eyes going into games is the same one I remember having myself. It is a beautiful thing.

Bill

I know that there can be hyper-competitive parents anywhere, but would you say lacrosse has less of that because it's not one of the big 3 or big 4 (if you include hockey - I'm Canadian) pro-sports? That driving ambition some parents have for their little Johnny to make it big in football, baseball or basketball seems to result in much grief for players and coaches at far too early ages.  Without this future pro push, there would be the potential to simply focus on the season at had and the current game in particular, which is a plus.

As far as injuries go, I like the helmets and shoulder pads and no-skates aspect, but those sticks do worry me. I'm a typical mom, I guess. ;) A lot depends on the officiating and how well they control things (or don't).

Congratulations on a wonderful season, and way to go for supporting amateur sport in such a hugely positive way!!!!

Edited by wintermom

I know that there can be hyper-competitive parents anywhere, but would you say lacrosse has less of that because it's not one of the big 3 or big 4 (if you include hockey - I'm Canadian) pro-sports? That driving ambition some parents have for their little Johnny to make it big in football, baseball or basketball seems to result in much grief for players and coaches at far too early ages. Without this future pro push, there would be the potential to simply focus on the season at had and the current game in particular, which is a plus.

As far as injuries go, I like the helmets and shoulder pads and no-skates aspect, but those sticks do worry me. I'm a typical mom, I guess. ;) A lot depends on the officiating and how well they control things (or don't).

Congratulations on a wonderful season, and way to go for supporting amateur sport in such a hugely positive way!!!!

I'd say yes on lacking he ugly side of competitiveness with parents with dreams of pro careers and big dollars for their kids.

For far I've encountered one family like that. My second year. The kid was 9 and hyper-dad was fired up about a scholarship to Duke. It was nuts.

My perspective is limited to the Los Angeles area where the sport is relatively new. There are for-profit club teams and specailized training that starts the pressure. But, for the most part, pretty contained. So far, we have positive competition rather than the negative kind.

Real injuries from sticks are pretty rare. Players wear helmets, elbow pads, and padded gloves. A kid might get a bruise here and there, but generally nothing too serious. My main concern is head injuries. I'm a loud voice in our league for the drive to stiffen up penalties (including ejections and suspensions) for anyone going in for a head-to-head illegal body check. These are very dangerous, and also very rare.

Or me the game hits the sweet spot for having enough body contact for boys to feel like men while minimizing the risks.

Bill

• Like 1

I'd say yes on lacking he ugly side of competitiveness with parents with dreams of pro careers and big dollars for their kids.

For far I've encountered one family like that. My second year. The kid was 9 and hyper-dad was fired up about a scholarship to Duke. It was nuts.

My perspective is limited to the Los Angeles area where the sport is relatively new. There are for-profit club teams and specailized training that starts the pressure. But, for the most part, pretty contained. So far, we have positive competition rather than the negative kind.

Real injuries from sticks are pretty rare. Players wear helmets, elbow pads, and padded gloves. A kid might get a bruise here and there, but generally nothing too serious. My main concern is head injuries. I'm a loud voice in our league for the drive to stiffen up penalties (including ejections and suspensions) for anyone going in for a head-to-head illegal body check. These are very dangerous, and also very rare.

Or me the game hits the sweet spot for having enough body contact for boys to feel like men while minimizing the risks.

Bill

You're in the glory days, then! Hopefully lacrosse will never become as crazy as some sports. It probably won't, but who knows - the world is a crazy place and if some TV people discover how to make a buck televising lacrosse, things may change. I cringe to think of lacrosse WWF style.  :leaving:

Edited by wintermom

Bill

Makes me want to go watch a game (once I figure out the basics). I almost feel guilty watching football these days. I miss my innocence. (I'm a firm believer that a lot of the "bad behavior" aka assault, rape, etc attributed to pro football players is very likely a consequence of the low level brain damage they have already suffered. So sad. 

I do hear rugby is a bit better, as the lack of helmets means less head to head contact. 

Bill

One of our high school players lost a finger to a stick! His hand was checked and when he pulled off his glove, he had one less finger!

My ds' knee was split open, but that was because he was knocked down and there happened to be a rock in the grass that his knee hit.

Undefeated teams don't just happen.  They are made.  Kudos to you for making a team out of a bunch of individuals.  Many, many kudos as those kids will have learned far more than Lacrosse. 

Best wishes in the playoffs and beyond.  I'd love to see a movie about it all in a few years (hint, hint). ;)

• Like 1

I don't know anything about lacrosse, but I do notice it is growing in popularity here a lot (southeast). Usually when my son has a soccer game, the field we pass by to get to his field has a game going on. I haven't watched long enough to understand it, but it sure looks like an interesting game.

I don't know anything about lacrosse, but I do notice it is growing in popularity here a lot (southeast). Usually when my son has a soccer game, the field we pass by to get to his field has a game going on. I haven't watched long enough to understand it, but it sure looks like an interesting game.

Fast game. To my mind bring together the best elements of basketball, hockey, football, and soccer. 10 players total on the field for each team including a goalie . 4 players (including the goalie) must stay on the Defensive side. 3 players must stay on the Attack (offensive) side. Then you have 3 Midfielders who run the field. Defensemen use longer sticks.

You pass and run and shoot and pick up ground balla with a stick that has a head with a net.

Players in possession of the ball try to advance and score goals in a 6x6 foot goal. Opposing players attempt to stop them with thier sticks or legal body checks.

The basic rules are pretty simple.

As a parent spectators sport it is thrilling. We always have lots of new parent come into the game every year. It is fun to see how enthusiastic they get. I had the same experience.

Great game for boy-boys who like to bang around a little. But unlike football, all sorts of sizes can thrive. Defensemen tend to be tall. But quick Attackmen can be very valuable players.

Middies need endurance and great stick skills.

Bill

• Like 2

One of our high school players lost a finger to a stick! His hand was checked and when he pulled off his glove, he had one less finger!

OMG. Never heard of an injury like that. Good grief.

My ds' knee was split open, but that was because he was knocked down and there happened to be a rock in the grass that his knee hit.

This sort of think is more common. Knock wood, in 5 years we have not had one bad injury. Plenty of small stuff, bruises etc. But nothing serious.

Bill

Makes me want to go watch a game (once I figure out the basics). I almost feel guilty watching football these days. I miss my innocence. (I'm a firm believer that a lot of the "bad behavior" aka assault, rape, etc attributed to pro football players is very likely a consequence of the low level brain damage they have already suffered. So sad.

I do hear rugby is a bit better, as the lack of helmets means less head to head contact.

I played rugby as a young man. Every game made me feel like I was on the losing end of a street fight. Great game! But rough. Rough. Rough.

Check out Paul Rabil. He is the superstar of the game and a hunk. When Mrs Spy Car (who lacks the sports gene) saw Paul Rabil she said "Suddenly I'm interested in sports."

LAX does tend to attract boys who prove to be popular with the ladies.

Bill

Undefeated teams don't just happen. They are made. Kudos to you for making a team out of a bunch of individuals. Many, many kudos as those kids will have learned far more than Lacrosse.

Best wishes in the playoffs and beyond. I'd love to see a movie about it all in a few years (hint, hint). ;)

Thanks. I am mentally grounded enough to know there was something ineffable that happened that was way beyond my power of control. These years are breat taking to experience, and I know these young men did learn life lessons this season. It has been very gratifying to witness.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks. I am mentally grounded enough to know there was something ineffable that happened that was way beyond my power of control. These years are breat taking to experience, and I know these young men did learn life lessons this season. It has been very gratifying to witness.

Bill

I think it takes a combo of the right kids and right coach - and some luck too, of course.  It is sports, after all.

With just the kids - not much tends to happen.  You might have a star player who is naturally talented, but that doesn't always win games - esp all the games.

With just the coach - miracles can't always happen.  A willingness to work with the coach and each other is needed from the kids.

Put them both together and add the touch of luck with the way the ball bounces... Congrats!