Menu

Algebra 2 ( BJU with HSLD Academy or CLRC Online)

I am considering the HSLD Academy Algebra 2 online class for next year which uses the BJU text. I am considering this largely due to the time and day it is offered.  It is only one day a week.  I do like that BJU has several teacher supports. However, I rarely see BJU Algebra 2 mentioned here which worries me.

I wonder if the homework answers provides complete solutions for all work?

I am curious if anyone has experience with this online class and/or comments on the BJU text?  

Similarly, CLRC Online offers Algebra 2 once a week, but they too use an unfamiliar text / "dynamic software product."

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Kathy 

I have no experience with either of them, but I will share, in case you aren't aware already, a tidbit I learned when I was looking into CLRC's math program a couple of years ago. The math instructor at CLRC (Lisa Angle) at one time wrote material for Math-U-See. FWIW. We ended up not using CLRC for math, but I had the impression that the text used in the Alg 2 course was less a source of the instruction and more just a source for assignments, if that makes sense. (Although Bittinger isn't an unknown author. I believe that book is fairly widely used in schools.) You might want to contact her directly to clarify.

I think Taryn might be right.

I own several BJU math texts.

I bought them cheap to have additional problems to create some math speed.

I'm not familiar with USA math standards but their books don't look bad to me.

I suppose they are not brilliant or fabulous.

I think they will work fine in a online class

Taryn

Do you mind sharing what you use for math - do you use an online provider?

Kathy

We're using Derek Owens. It is self-paced, though, with no set schedule, no live class. I can see why some families may prefer the structure, deadlines, and "peer pressure" or "competitive" (for lack of a better word) nature of a live class. There are times when math falls to the side here because of competing priorities. (DS has been slow to get his DO geometry course finished.  :glare: )  Have you looked at Wilson Hill Academy? That's live classes and probably what we'd be using if we weren't using DO.  BJU should be fine though too. And if that fits your schedule that's something also.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

Homeschool Connections also offers once-per-week classes. There is an additional recorded video each week that provides some of the teaching. The live class is usually used for going over troublesome problems from the homework and additional teaching, if there is time. They have two options for textbooks for Algebra 2: Saxon or Foerster. (Saxon meets 11:30 AM-12:30 AM EDT on Mondays, Foerster meets 12:00 PM-1:00 PM EDT on Tuesdays). They used to have a live option for a Holt-McDougal Larson book, but it looks like that is only an option for a recorded class now.

I have a kid in HC's Alg 2 class this year. PM me if you want a review.

HSLDA Online Academy has been a great experience for us this past year and I can offer a special code for $30 off for newbies who sign up with them (just p'm me if anyone is interested).  We are adding Precalculus next year, but have just done AP World History and English 2 so far, but I am impressed enough with them to be adding math for next year! 

Here is their description from their website of how the class works:

In every HSLDA Academy course, students meet weekly with their instructor and classmates in an online classroom for additional teaching, discussion, Q&A, or group activities. The class sessions are interactive and are conducted using a web meeting software with video, audio, chat, and application sharing capabilities.

Scheduled, real-time sessions in the online classroom are not the only form of instruction available in a HSLDA Online Academy course, but are offered in addition to lectures or other instructional materials that students are able to access online at their convenience.

We have had lots of experience with BJU textbooks and their distance learning program.  I can tell you that I would have been quite happy to use a BJU textbook in an online format with live, interactive experience and someone else doing the grading in certain situations (which is what this HSLDA Online Academy class would do for you).  My experience with BJU Math only went up to their 'Fundamentals of Math' book, plus looking at their Pre-algebra textbook (we ended up switching to Saxon to use in CC at the time).  My frustration at the time was that I found out too late that my dc would not actually pause the BJU DVD (which is not live, obviously) and do the study questions when asked and ended up floundering badly in math that year.  There were daily quizzes with the DVD kit and we skipped most of them as there just seemed to be too many.  That didn't help us, either.  What I am trying to say is that, with the combination of a BJU Math textbook and a live, online instructor who moderates the weekly class and homework AND does the grading (and so can encourage your student to follow steps, etc.), it sounds like a 'win' to me for upper level math. 

We are now switching out of Saxon, BTW, and I am finding out that my ds did not learn all the Alg. 2 that I thought he had learned with Saxon.  If you call HSLDA, they will offer you a placement test (at least for precalculus) and we are now backpedaling and doing ALEKS this summer to try to bring Alg. 2 skills up to speed before hitting precalculus in the fall.

I'd be happy to interact more with anyone who wants to p'm me; just note that I will be out much of the day today.

Blessings,

Brenda

• Like 2