Menu

Baked potatoe prep?

KatieJ

Weird question I know.
I am going to a 4 day scrapbooking retreat where 7 of us are each preparing a meal. I am doing meatloaf and baked potatoes but not until Saturday night.
Any reason I can"t scrub, oil and salt my potatoes today and put them in baggie?
It would be less stuff I have to pack.

Edited by KatieinMich

Salt has interesting chemistry. I might leave it off just in case it does something unexpected. (On the other hand, most meats benefit from brines and marinades... so?)

Yeah, its the salt that concerns me.  I might just skip that. 

I wouldn't do it.

I would be concerned about storing potatos in a moist environment for several days. That sounds like a problem to me.  Since you are talking about oil/salt I assume you scrub your potatoes really well (eating the skins I assume).  Scrubbing them really well, isn't a problem when you put them right in to the oven, but I wonder if it will remove part of the protective barrier and make them more susceptable to mold.

I assume someone will have oil and salt! Look at the menu and see who would need that ingredient.  Call and ask if you can borrow a bit. Otherwise just bake them without that step.  Not everyone will eat the skins anyways, so it could be a moot point to add this step.

• Like 1

Surely someone is in charge of bringing margarine/butter? And basics like salt and pepper? I wouldn't want to use washed potatoes so much later!

Some of it will be at the house we are renting, but no, we did not assign salt pepper, etc. everyone is in charge of their own meal.

FYI: you can also make "baked" potatoes in a crockpot. Might help you enjoy scrapbooking a little longer that day.

After scrubbing and patting dry, poke each potato about four times with fork.

Then rub with oil, and salt and pepper if you choose to use it. 

Wrap each potato in foil and stick in crockpot. Cook on low for about 7 hours. Voila! Baked potatoes!

FYI: you can also make "baked" potatoes in a crockpot. Might help you enjoy scrapbooking a little longer that day.

After scrubbing and patting dry, poke each potato about four times with fork.

Then rub with oil, and salt and pepper if you choose to use it.

Wrap each potato in foil and stick in crockpot. Cook on low for about 7 hours. Voila! Baked potatoes!

Someone has done that on one of these crops. I have made ameatloaf to bake, so I will just turn on the oven and prep potatoes while it preheats. Hopefully potatoes and mealtloaf will be done at the same time. Kale salad from Costco, some frozen veggies and it will be good.

Simple meal, lots of cropping time and hopefully not much cleanup.