Menu

AP Exam Stress!

Sooo thankful for a school two hours away that let us pick up all the AP exams we couldn't find sites for near us.  Especially thankful they could do the one test today - Comp Sci with accommodations for dyslexic DS.  So proud of this kid.  He feels good about it, though it was exhausting for him.  It was his very first official test experience; had lots of anxiety.  Thankful that this school was very friendly and easy to work with.  Older DS, OTOH, is on his 4th year of APs and is feeling fairly confident about the tests coming up for him.

• Like 9

Good Luck to all the kids taking exams tomorrow.

Don't forget: PENS, PENCILS, PHOTO ID (not expired), PHONE (to call you later), SNACKS (if they allow), CALCULATOR (if needed)!!

Also the AP Student Pack for subsequent AP exams. The students need the student ID stickers inside the student pack.
  • Like 4

I have to admit the stress is so much alleviated with 1 down (the first one EVER) and 2 more to go. Just knowing what to expect from the unknown... of course, we don't go back to that same public HS for the next 2, but still.... similar process and 2nd high school was way more accommodating, even meeting with us last week, going over things, walking us to the gym etc. So my ds feels good about that.

Good luck to all tomorrow! We're back on the hook for Thursday. Whew!

• Like 4

Also the AP Student Pack for subsequent AP exams. The students need the student ID stickers inside the student pack.

Yup, I did not know about these. These stickers are for the second/ third etc. AP tests over the next 2 weeks in case anyone is wondering.

• Like 3

Trying to explain anything to someone in the throes of studying for AP Exams should be undertaken only after giving due consideration to the risks involved. No one on this thread accepts any responsibility for the resultant tantrums, eye-rolls, slamming of books (or doors) which may come as a result of such explanations. Proceed with caution and at your own risk.

Mine produces this thing which is sort of like a hmm + a growl + grunt all rolled together. Coming from a normally compliant kid, the hmm-growl-grunt makes me want to back away slowly. The kid did eventually clean the table the afternoon before AP Chemistry. This afternoon, the mess was back. I'm going to wait till after AP Lit is over before attempting a gentle reminder to clean the mess up again. Wish me luck folks!

Good luck to all testing tomorrow. May the pencils and wits be sharp. May the pens roll on and on with inspired free responses. May the force be strong in each one of our kids.

(and parents, Trader Joe's sells chocolate by the pound :drool: )

• Like 4

Good luck to all of the test takers today.  Our big week is next week -- DS has his first on Friday morning (APUSH, followed by his military physical later that day, and then the SAT on Saturday).  Thankfully, he's doing really well on the practice tests for APUSH, and he's raised his SAT practice score by 125 points (average).  Last go at the SAT, then one or two ACTs and he'll be done with everything except any required SAT2s

• Like 4

Hmm. I didn't know about the stickers. Now I'm curious. I assume the school has been handling it for dc. This is older ds's 4th year taking APs there.

Oh no. Disaster. Dd is sick with bug that kept me out of commission for 4 days. She didn't want to miss her APUSH class today since they are still learning content. Tomorrow is portfolio work day for art. Starting the bone broth now. Will be bring her tea and elderberry syrup when she wakes up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Oh no. Disaster. Dd is sick with bug that kept me out of commission for 4 days. She didn't want to miss her APUSH class today since they are still learning content. Tomorrow is portfolio work day for art. Starting the bone broth now. Will be bring her tea and elderberry syrup when she wakes up.

Uh oh!! Hope she feels better FAST!!

--

Jumping in late here. My son will take his first-ever AP next week. We will be overseas at the time, so he is taking it at an overseas school. I just hope he is disciplined enough to prep on the plane and during the days leading up to the exam. He will have enough time to make the time change adjustment.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 5

It's usually only an issue if you child is taking AP exams at more than one school.

Thanks, good to know. My dc only use one school.

So sorry to hear this! I hope she feels better soon.

• Like 2

My heart just sank even further for dd. Her last piece for her art portfolio is sitting here only about 10% finished. She usually puts about 8 hours into each piece. It could be worse. At least it is pastel, which is a faster medium than paint or colored pencil.

Oh no! I hope she feels well enough to finish it. Poor thing.

• Like 2

My heart just sank even further for dd. Her last piece for her art portfolio is sitting here only about 10% finished. She usually puts about 8 hours into each piece. It could be worse. At least it is pastel, which is a faster medium than paint or colored pencil.

I have fond memories of hours of pastel art ages ago. I really hope everything turns out ok for her. Sending lots of healing vibes.

• Like 3

I don't pressure my ds over it, so he's holding up just fine.  He is the type to pressure himself to work hard,but he is not a worry wart.  So....

Yesterday went great.  We never thought to look up how long the test is, so the 4 hour ordeal was a surprise especially considering he had not packed a snack and is really in a growth spurt. He came home and ate half my fridge's contents and half the pantry too.  :)  The proctor gave them candy bars which he was miraculously not allergic to, and she even had a puppy in a purse.  Seeing the cute puppy yawn made everyone happy.

:)  This was AP COmputer Science :)

• Like 7

Oh no!  :grouphug:  to you both! Wishing her a speedy recovery!

• Like 2

Thinking of everyone. Hope all our kids are feeling better, stronger now. And for overseas testers, thinking of you guys too. Today is the kid's second and final AP. Such a rollercoaster...AP Chem on Monday, CC Bio midterm test yesterday, AP Lit today, CC Japanese midterm quiz tomorrow, aaack. It is definitely a lot more stress than doing just CC classes like previous semesters.

Kid is getting a food treat of choice this afternoon. 😊

Edited by quark
  • Like 8

Thinking of everyone. Hope all our kids are feeling better, stronger now. And for overseas testers, thinking of you guys too. Today is the kid's second and final AP. Such a rollercoaster...AP Chem on Monday, CC Bio midterm test yesterday, AP Lit today, CC Japanese midterm quiz tomorrow, aaack. It is definitely a lot more stress than doing just CC classes like previous semesters.

Kid is getting a food treat of choice this afternoon. 😊

Whoa. Yes !! He deserves pizza or sushi or something special!
  • Like 5

What did your kiddos think about AP Lit today?  DD is super, super english strong and whizzed through AP Lang with an easy 5.  She thought the exam today was difficult.  She couldn't decide if she was just tired or what?  The kids who took it with her felt the same way, they said it was crazy hard.  

Just curious what the HIVE kid's experiences were?

• Like 2

What did your kiddos think about AP Lit today?  DD is super, super english strong and whizzed through AP Lang with an easy 5.  She thought the exam today was difficult.  She couldn't decide if she was just tired or what?  The kids who took it with her felt the same way, they said it was crazy hard.  

Just curious what the HIVE kid's experiences were?

DS was very blase about the AP Lit. He's confident he did well on the multiple choice, and thinks the essays went OK. He was *very* disappointed with his 4 on the AP Lang last year, so we'll see if he pulls a 5 this year.

He's got 2 more next week, then he's going to have serious attitude problems about going to his public school classes. They're all (3) AP classes, and classes continue until mid-June.

• Like 5

Ok, A is out. Says MCQ was fine. FRQ was difficult to finish on time but A has always had issues finishing practice essays on time. Says that apart from having pneumonia as a toddler, this was the next worse experience of A's storied life. 🤔 Hmmmm...

A thinks a 4 might be a possibility but A is also always a highly optimistic kid. He he.

I am just glad this is over. 2 APs down, 3 DE finals to go.

• Like 6

Ok, A is out. Says MCQ was fine. FRQ was difficult to finish on time but A has always had issues finishing practice essays on time. Says that apart from having pneumonia as a toddler, this was the next worse experience of A's storied life. 🤔 Hmmmm...

A thinks a 4 might be a possibility but A is also always a highly optimistic kid. He he.

I am just glad this is over. 2 APs down, 3 DE finals to go.

Oh no, poor A  :grouphug:

DD usually thinks she did worse than she does in reality on any test.  She says she was just super tired and had a hard time focusing in general.  There were a few multiple choices she simply didn't know and that freaked her out.  I am thinking that since it is graded on a curve, these kids are going to do fine.  If it was hard for dd and A, it was hard for everyone.   :grouphug:

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 4

Thank you Attolia and WMA! I am not concerned at all now. I was only nervous about the pretest process of how wrong things could go. Now that it is done, I am already thinking about how to make this summer fun for the kid. 😊 Step A (buy more books!!!) has already begun lol.

Thanks again and hugs back to all. We went for pizza (the quick choose your toppings, done in 10 mins type). Our kids have worked so hard. Wishing them a good break soon.

• Like 6

Thank you Attolia and WMA! I am not concerned at all now. I was only nervous about the pretest process of how wrong things could go. Now that it is done, I am already thinking about how to make this summer fun for the kid. 😊 Step A (buy more books!!!) has already begun lol.

Thanks again and hugs back to all. We went for pizza (the quick choose your toppings, done in 10 mins type). Our kids have worked so hard. Wishing them a good break soon.

Yes to the bolded!!! I am already daydreaming about our post AP Exam browsing at the bookstore! 

• Like 2

😊 Step A (buy more books!!!) has already begun lol.

...We went for pizza (the quick choose your toppings, done in 10 mins type).

Yes to the bolded!!! I am already daydreaming about our post AP Exam browsing at the bookstore!

My kids like the Barnes and Noble store as well as Half Price Books store at Dublin. I did find my misplaced eyeglasses :)

The other day we went to Pieology at San Leandro and my boys waited quite long for their pizza.

• Like 4

Aaaah, happy sighs (like the ones dogs make when all is well in the world). We might have been triplets separated at birth! :laugh:

Arcadia, how lovely that you found your glasses! In a busy place like that too! Yay!

My kids like the Barnes and Noble store as well as Half Price Books store at Dublin. I did find my misplaced eyeglasses :)

The other day we went to Pieology at San Leandro and my boys waited quite long for their pizza.

• Like 2

Joining this late, but I wish everyone the best as AP exams continue!  So much going on here; it's crazy!  We start the 5 AP exam stint tomorrow morning bright and early! :)  I am both thrilled (for her) and a little sad or nostalgic (for me) that this is my last set of AP work with oldest DD who is headed to university this fall.

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!

• Like 5

Joining this late, but I wish everyone the best as AP exams continue!  So much going on here; it's crazy!  We start the 5 AP exam stint tomorrow morning bright and early! :)  I am both thrilled (for her) and a little sad or nostalgic (for me) that this is my last set of AP work with oldest DD who is headed to university this fall.

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!

What exams is she taking?

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!

My DS #1 took two AP tests this week and will take the last one next week. At this moment I feel more emotional than worried about his score. It was DS who wanted to take more AP's as a senior even though we all knew that these won't effect his admission to the college- as long as he doesn't mess them up. Who knew I'd be emotionally attached to AP tests? :closedeyes:  

I still remember his very first AP test day. How nervous we were. How I walked him to the office of local HS. How I anxiously waited his call asking me to pick him up from school. At this point, anything we've done routinely brings back too much memories. 

• Like 4

My DS #1 took two AP tests this week and will take the last one next week. At this moment I feel more emotional than worried about his score. It was DS who wanted to take more AP's as a senior even though we all knew that these won't effect his admission to the college- as long as he doesn't mess them up. Who knew I'd be emotionally attached to AP tests? :closedeyes:

I still remember his very first AP test day. How nervous we were. How I walked him to the office of local HS. How I anxiously waited his call asking me to pick him up from school. At this point, anything we've done routinely brings back too much memories. 

I know it does.  It has been quite the ride.  DD's first AP exam was AP Chem as a sophomore followed by Calc BC, AP Lang, and AP Latin.  I will never forget the angst with the first drop off and the first year of testing 4 APs.  Flash forward to senior year, and she's like "I've got this; no biggie"  It's amazing and beautiful to watch them grow and develop. 

LIke you, I have so many memories with these events (who would've thought?). Honestly, I feel kind of ridiculous but it is what it is. :)  I have decided to be happy, happy, happy for her through her graduation party and pull a Scarlet O'Hara "I'll think about that tomorrow."

• Like 4

We're still in this mode - 9th grade. Going to 2nd AP today (Govt) at new & different HS. Leaving in less than 1/2 hour... 

• Like 3

:laugh:  and  :crying:   Suddenly I feel grateful that we still have a couple more cycles of AP exams! So bittersweet...

This too shall pass...

• Like 3

I know it does.  It has been quite the ride.  DD's first AP exam was AP Chem as a sophomore followed by Calc BC, AP Lang, and AP Latin.  I will never forget the angst with the first drop off and the first year of testing 4 APs.  Flash forward to senior year, and she's like "I've got this; no biggie"  It's amazing and beautiful to watch them grow and develop. 

LIke you, I have so many memories with these events (who would've thought?). Honestly, I feel kind of ridiculous but it is what it is. :)  I have decided to be happy, happy, happy for her through her graduation party and pull a Scarlet O'Hara "I'll think about that tomorrow."

:001_wub:

• Like 1

I dropped my very sick daughter off for her AP Studio Art work day. She finished her last piece last night. She isn't happy with it but it had to be done by today. She has to photograph it, edit the photo to color correct it and upload it to the site. Then she has 3 more pieces to matte, spray on a fixative and shrink-wrap it to protect the pastel pigments and box them up to send off. I'll probably have to pick her up soon.

• Like 3

D is taking her last AP right now! I am done, done, done with teaching :party:

I am so excited for her next step in life :) and for what my future brings :)

Good luck to both of you!!

We're still in this mode - 9th grade. Going to 2nd AP today (Govt) at new & different HS. Leaving in less than 1/2 hour... 

Hope everything goes smoothly! 

• Like 1

I dropped my very sick daughter off for her AP Studio Art work day. She finished her last piece last night. She isn't happy with it but it had to be done by today. She has to photograph it, edit the photo to color correct it and upload it to the site. Then she has 3 more pieces to matte, spray on a fixative and shrink-wrap it to protect the pastel pigments and box them up to send off. I'll probably have to pick her up soon.

What a rotten, rotten time to be sick...  

• Like 3

Thinking of her and you and sending good thoughts. Fingers tightly crossed that everything goes ok.

• Like 2

I hope she improves quickly :grouphug:

My son took APs junior year while feeling a bit run down and feverish. I thought it was due to his usual season allergies. He came home early the last testing day, fell asleep on the couch, and slept for 18 hours. He was diagnosed with mono the following Monday :eek:

I hope she improves quickly :grouphug:

My son took APs junior year while feeling a bit run down and feverish. I thought it was due to his usual season allergies. He came home early the last testing day, fell asleep on the couch, and slept for 18 hours. He was diagnosed with mono the following Monday :eek:

Sorry your son had to go through that. I doubt it is mono here since I'm getting over the same thing. She just wishes it had started tomorrow afternoon. She has APUSH tomorrow and she has missed 3 days of class this week.

Sorry your son had to go through that. I doubt it is mono here since I'm getting over the same thing. She just wishes it had started tomorrow afternoon. She has APUSH tomorrow and she has missed 3 days of class this week.

Remember if she is sick tomorrow, she can make up APUSH on the make up date. Just be sure to let the AP coordinator know as soon as you make the decision.

• Like 1