Menu

Let's talk FUD

bibiche

Every time I go camping I swear to myself I am finally going to get one of these. This time I am remembering in advance. So do any of you hikers, campers, girls-who-like-to-write-their-names-in-the-snow have any FUD recommendations?  The only one I've seen in the store is the Go Girl, but the reviews ("best use: wetting your pants") are not stellar. lol  So, anyone?

(typing the name FUD in this context cracks me up because in Mexico it is a brand of cold cuts which of course are aka fake meat.  :smilielol5: )

• Like 1

While traveling in Europe many years ago, I came across toilets that were nothing more than a hole in the floor. Muscle memory is a real thing!! After 20 years of peeing one way, my body could not 'relax' in a different position. That would be my concern.

• Like 1

While traveling in Europe many years ago, I came across toilets that were nothing more than a hole in the floor. Muscle memory is a real thing!! After 20 years of peeing one way, my body could not 'relax' in a different position. That would be my concern.

I hear ya, but my bigger concern is putting my privates in striking distance of a snake.  :scared:

• Like 1

I actually thought the thread was going to be about Mexican cold cuts (or maybe queso fresco).

Bill (from LA)

We can talk about FUD as well, Bill. Can you get it in LA? I have never actually tasted the stuff, but I do have a rather extensive collection of FUD photos. ;) I like to document FUD seen in the wild. Because the name makes me laugh. Every time.

• Like 1

I have the Whiz. :) It's just okay. It doesn't fold up small enough to suit me, but otherwise I have no major complaints.

Honestly, my very favorite ones are the disposable, heavy paper kind. I used to travel a lot and they always worked very well for me. *So* much nicer than trying to cover or hover over a seat!

ETA: I used these. You have to love the website--"So much easy!"--but really it is a good product. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

I have the Whiz. :) It's just okay. It doesn't fold up small enough to suit me, but otherwise I have no major complaints.

Honestly, my very favorite ones are the disposable, heavy paper kind. I used to travel a lot and they always worked very well for me. *So* much nicer than trying to cover or hover over a seat!

Thanks, Mercy. For the paper type, I don't think it would work as we have to carry out.

I can pee pretty good squatting. It's a handy, learned skill, for when I'm running or skiing in the woods and have to go. The trick is to pee down a slight incline and avoid your feet!  :laugh:

Old bladders learned new tricks.

Now I will share.

1.  Choose a fairly private spot, preferably with a stump or large rock at least waist high, or a tree, in front of you.

2.  Make sure there are no obvious quick paths into water--rivers, streams, and lakes need to be kept cleaner than sweeping this in would do. 

3.  Make sure no one is coming.

4.  Squat down about halfway to the ground, with your butt well back.  You can lean on the waist high natural item if you wish.  Spread your legs apart.

5.  Pull down what ever pants you may have on to just above your knees.

6.  KEY!  Use your free hand to pull those pants and any skirt you might be wearing as far forward as possible.  This is THE KEY.

7.  Pee.

8.  You DID put a liner in your panties before you went hiking, right?  Because if so, you just pull them up.  No need to wipe.

9.  Reassemble clothing in a semblance of order.

10.  Proceed.

No muss, no fuss. 

Also, no idea about number 2.  Just saying.

• Like 4

Also, no idea about number 2.  Just saying.

Gotta pack that out too.  :blink:

I do know how to pee in the woods. I just don't want to be in a vulnerable position any more than I have to. Which is why I want a FUD (not FUD, Bill).  I look at the ease with which the boys accomplish this and I confess, I have envy.

• Like 2

But. Why? Old alaturka style doesn't work? Are you camping in the middle of very high vegetation? 😂I mean it's a good exercise too, just sayin ;)

I can do deep knee bends with the best of them, having honed my skills under the most rigorous of conditions. Neopolitan train station gabinetti following what was certainly a dysentery outbreak? No problem. Dark hole in the ground in an unlit shack with scorpions on the ground? Check. Unisex squat toilet in a dive bar filled with heavy drinkers? Got it.  But this? This time it is serious: 

• Like 4

.  But this? This time it is serious: 

I have never heard of a hiker being attacked by a snake while peeing or pooping. You look where you step, so surely you look where you pee?

Now I am curious: where on earth are you going where that would be a real concern?

Also, you still have to squat for #2. So I've never been able to see the point of a FUD just for hiking. I can see that it would be useful for bigwall rock climbing where you can't unharness.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

Speaking of #2 while hiking: my friends just climbed Aconcagua, which sees a lot of traffic, and the permit requires you not only to pack out the toilet paper but also the excrement. You have to present the bag when checking out at the end of your ten day trip. I am not kidding.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

Squat. You've got this nailed, with all that deep knee bend training you've had.

Don't stress about snakes. Look around first, and make noise. Believe me, they don't particularly want a taste of human rear.

Now, hmmmmm, do I share the story about being stalked by a mountain lion while peeing... ? Nah. :D (but, errrr, I didn't quite finish!)

• Like 2

Speaking of #2 while hiking: my friends just climbed Aconcagua, which sees a lot of traffic, and the permit requires you not only to pack out the toilet paper but also the excrement. You have to present the bag when checking out at the end of your ten day trip. I am not kidding.

I wonder what they would say to bibiche who would have been on a week long imodium regimen..."Sorry, I did not need a bag. I had imodium..."

:svengo:

• Like 7

Aw, jeez. I wasn't even worried about big cats until now. :scared: :scared: :scared:

My DH still laughs telling that story. Yikes. It's funny now.

Make a lot of noise. Don't just quietly go out to pee alone at night, in silence.

We were in Big Cat central, I don't think you should worry about it too much!

Have fun! Having camping envy now...

• Like 1

I don't have any experience, but I was comparing products on Amazon a while back and narrowed it down to:

The Freshette (I like that this one has a flexible tube that you can aim away from yourself, but the main con would be if it comes loose from the cup part because it's a separate piece! Hmm.)

and

The pStyle  (This one seems like it takes a little practice--some suggested trying it in the shower/tub until you get the hang of it, but this one was actually my first choice.)

THIS one wins for most creative, but what do you do with the baggie of pee??  LOL  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJPHD4M/r?th=1

• Like 1

We can talk about FUD as well, Bill. Can you get it in LA? I have never actually tasted the stuff, but I do have a rather extensive collection of FUD photos. ;) I like to document FUD seen in the wild. Because the name makes me laugh. Every time.

I can get FUD meats and cheeses. Worst name ever. The queso fresco isn't bad. Have some in the fridge right now.

Bill

• Like 2

Wow, like going to the bathroom outdoors isn't bad enough... but to have to show a bag of contents at the end of the trip? Does the altitude make a lot of women menstruate? I think I might be more afraid of all this than the wild life lol

There is the blood to deal with, and then there's the odor. The one time I was deep-woods camping with my period I was concerned about attracting unfriendly wildlife, as in bears. It was NOT a pleasant thought.  :crying:

• Like 1

All I can recommend about #2 in the great outdoors is that you should never use a leaf to wipe. The allergic reaction afterwards is VERY uncomfortable. :laugh: I think a snake bite would be better, to be honest.

My cousins and I went hiking when we were kids. One cousin made the mistake of using a poison oak leaf to wipe.

• Like 2

Well, I've learned something new from the Hive yet again! I'd never heard of such devices and am now curious and want a chance to try one!

I have lived in places where squatting is the norm and have no trouble with that. I've always thought actually that squatting for toiletting purposes is likely one reason women stuck with skirts after men mostly abandoned them--easier to pull up a skirt and still maintain some privacy if desired than to pull down pants. I have no idea whether there is truth to this theory or not :)

Edited by maize
  • Like 6

I wonder what they would say to bibiche who would have been on a week long imodium regimen..."Sorry, I did not need a bag. I had imodium..."

:svengo:

Yep, I'd probably need to be packed out too. Although I don't think a week would be the record... http://memento.muttermuseum.org/detail/giant-megacolon

Edited by bibiche

Well, I've learned something new from the Hive yet again! I'd never heard of such devices and am now curious and want a chance to try one!

I have lived in places where squatting is the norm and have no trouble with that. I've always thought actually that squatting for toiletting purposes is likely one reason women stuck with skirts after men mostly abandoned them--easier to pull up a skirt and still maintain some privacy if desired than to pull down pants. I have no idea whether there is truth to this theory or not :)

I can't believe I'm linking this, but it's an informative video on the "pStyle" and shows you that the purpose is to NOT have to pull down your pants.

• Like 3

I have never heard of a hiker being attacked by a snake while peeing or pooping. You look where you step, so surely you look where you pee?

Now I am curious: where on earth are you going where that would be a real concern?

Also, you still have to squat for #2. So I've never been able to see the point of a FUD just for hiking. I can see that it would be useful for bigwall rock climbing where you can't unharness.

I've been following this discussion.  As my knees have gotten worse and since my ankle injury, squatting and feeling secure on uneven ground is a challenge.  I can no longer count on being able to manage.  Fortunately, all of the climbing trips we have planned are day hikes and my body seems to know when there aren't facilities available for #2 (not that we won't be prepared just in case.)  But my bladder and surrounding connective tissue are showing their age.

I think I will get something and practice before our trip.  Another factor is that there really aren't many trees where we are going and it will likely be crowded with lots of climbers so there won't be much privacy