Menu

Current movie thread

creekland

I watched the original a few weeks ago, to be prepared to watch the new one. 

I haaaaaaaated the original.  I thought, "What is wrong with me?  This is supposed to be one of the 'greats' of sci-fi? I love sci-fi and I hated this movie."  I started reading reviews that people wrote about the first one.  Lots of people loved it, but a great deal of people haaaaaaated it, for the same reasons I did.

And now I don't know what to think of BR2049.  Did you guys see the first BR movie?  If so, what did you think about it?  Is BR2049 anything like the first one? 

Which version did you watch?  One of the director's cuts has a ton of voice overs, where the actors ind of narrate the scenes, and I think it's a lot worse than the original.

Which version did you watch?  One of the director's cuts has a ton of voice overs, where the actors ind of narrate the scenes, and I think it's a lot worse than the original.

Whatever was on Netflix DVD.  I know that there are like 20 different director's cuts.  I can't remember if there were voice overs or not.  I know such a cut exists, but now my memory is failing me and I can't remember if I watched the one with voice overs, or just remember reading that such a one exists (see the thread going on now about how we all suffer from poor memory!)

I just thought the whole thing was a mess.  I told my husband, "Was this written by a 26 year old guy who thought he had all the answers to life, the universe, and everything?  It's just so immature and there is zero character development."  Turns out the director was in his 40s at the time, so I don't know what he was thinking.  He should have known better. I mean, I got the message he was trying to deliver, but it was so clumsily delivered that it just made me roll my eyes.

My dh insists that the short story the movie was based on was good, and made its point much more eloquently.  Dh liked the movie, which I found odd because he doesn't normally like movies like that.

All I can say is that if you go to imdb and read the negative reviews, whatever people wrote on there is what I felt about the movie and they've already written paragraph after paragraph about it.  I thought it was a mess of a movie.  The city scenes were visually interesting and the world the director created was pretty cool, but the story and characters were a hot mess and there were dozens of plot holes

Edited by Garga

I watched the original a few weeks ago, to be prepared to watch the new one. 

I haaaaaaaated the original.  I thought, "What is wrong with me?  This is supposed to be one of the 'greats' of sci-fi? I love sci-fi and I hated this movie."  I started reading reviews that people wrote about the first one.  Lots of people loved it, but a great deal of people haaaaaaated it, for the same reasons I did.

And now I don't know what to think of BR2049.  Did you guys see the first BR movie?  If so, what did you think about it?  Is BR2049 anything like the first one? 

I liked the first one OK but am not a huge fan or anything. They're two completely separate movies, but they're similar enough in the storyline as well as look and feel that my guess is if you hated the first one (or didn't see it) there's not much point in watching the second. 

• Like 1

YES!! We watched the one with the voice overs and the voice overs were awful. Now that I have seen and enjoyed BR2049, I would like to see the version of the original without the voice overs. 

• Like 2

I liked the original Blade Runner a lot.  I have read the original story.  I have seen the movie a few times- first when it came out.  I have not seen the voiceover directors cut.  I don't want to hear voice overs in movies.  It makes it even harder to hear. 

I saw The Hitman's Bodyguard last weekend.  I agreed to go because the reviews were good and dd wanted to go.  Yes, it had a lot of long action scenes that were too long for me.  But I actually liked the movie because it shown a light to the dictatorship in Byelarus.  I was totally surprised by that -- a real horror story actually portrayed in a movie (of course the name of the dictator was changed and in the story, he was being tried in the International Court in the Hague but kudos for making people aware of what is happening there.)/

I want to go see the new Blade Runner, American agent, and the forthcoming Murder on the Orient Express.  

I can't wait to see American Made and The Mountain Between Us.

Have you had a chance to see The Mountain Between Us?  I just finished the book and enjoyed it so am curious about the movie.

I did find this compilation of snippets which does not inspire confidence ~ The 14 Meanest Things Critics Are Saying About Kate WinsletĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s New Survival Movie

Regards,

Kareni

No, I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t. Our local theater is tiny, so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going to have to go to the town an hour away to see it. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d like to see it soon though, because usually when the reviews arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t great, the movie doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t stay out long. I feel like itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d be a good movie to see on the big screen, ykwim?

If you do see it, onelittlemonkey, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

Kareni

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone watched Geostorm?  Hubby and I are finally together for a Tuesday (cheaper rates) and are contemplating seeing a movie.  The oodles of Halloween and War movies don't really appeal to us.  Geostorm doesn't get the best ratings, but sometimes we like just seeing good Special Effects, so does anyone on the Hive have an IRL opinion they can offer?

Or other suggestion?  From this list (Tuesday's showings)?

https://www.fandango.com/rc-hanover-movies-aapdy/theater-page?date=2017-10-31

Well Creekland. I have never heard of Geostorm. Not a clue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=geostorm+movie&oq=geostorm+mo&aqs=chrome.0.0l2j69i57j69i60j0l2.6287j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

According to the google search page, it gets a whopping 15% from Rotten Tomatoes, 5.8/10 from IMDb, and 2/5 from Common Sense Media... BUT 79% of Google users liked it.  Since we like Special Effects and have fun tearing apart reality (see the Technology thread!), I'm thinking we might be in that 4 out of 5 given what we're going in to see (not expecting high drama or good science, etc).  I sense it could be a "fun" movie for us today.

Hubby already said this morning that he'd like to go, so I'll try to remember to add our thoughts afterward.  I doubt it'll be worse than some others we've seen at the theater (Exodus comes to mind for that award).

• Like 1

Dying to see Thor Rangarok and the new Justice League movie!!

We're going to see Thor on Friday!  We've been in a little movie drought so we've been really looking forward to November and a whole pile of movies coming out.  I think there's a new one every week we want to see, and Thor:Ragnarok is first. 

Our Tuesday's have become jam-packed though, so we're having to spend an extra few bucks for us to hit up a matinee on another day.  Fortunately, it's still fairly reasonable unless we opt for the ultrascreen with the fancy recliners. 

• Like 1

Updating on Geostorm.  As I thought, we liked it, better than I thought we would TBH.  ;)   But it wasn't just us.  There were two college lads sitting right behind us (discussing professors and classes prior to the movie and the movie afterward).  They were well aware of the reviews going into the movie too - and they really liked it as well - pleasantly surprised compared to what they expected going in.

The special effects are good - and come throughout the movie rather than mostly at the end as with most special effect movies.  One doesn't have to suspend their knowledge of too much science, because they don't delve into the science of HOW it is done - it's just there.  The science of the destruction is, of course, iffy, but - eh - who cares?

There's actually a plot, predictable toward the end, but a couple of twists that happened throughout surprised us even if we had figured out the end.

And... we didn't mind the acting at all - pretty much liked it actually.  

The writing has the basics of this type of movie, some actors lost, some not, people to "live for" back home, totally dumb people, some smart ones, a somewhat "preaching" theme underlying and outwardly spoken of in times, etc, but it would seem strange if it didn't.  The overall concept (weather control) is a new one which we like to see rather than all the rehashes/remakes that are out there now.

There wasn't much bad language (probably some, but we didn't really notice it), and very little explicit romance.

Add us (and those behind us) to the 79% of Google users who give it a thumbs up rather than the 15% (critics) or 44% (audience) on Rotten Tomatoes and others.  :)

YMMV pending what you like.  For us, it made for a really fun afternoon date.

Thor: Ragnarok was fantastic!  It was like one lengthy theme park ride that made me laugh over and over.  It was SO fun.  

It was most definitely weird, as many have been saying leading up the premier of the movie.  It was like someone took the Thor movies and mashed them up with Guardians of the Galaxy.  It kind of had that vibe going, only without the "where on earth is this movie going" thing.  It made sense from beginning to end.  Cate Blanchett, Jeff Goldblum and Karl Urban were excellent additions to the universe, as well as several others. 

Where the previous Thor movies were so serious in tone, this one was much more playful, with tender moments here and there, and it seems to lead right up to the mischief of Infinity War.

Definitely packed with Sci-Fi violence, but no gore to accompany the many stabbings, spearings and beheadings.  One reference to an orgy, which will go over most children's heads, but otherwise... I think there were a few bits of language, but no F bombs, and I can't even really tell you what words they might have been or where they were.

We also saw a nice trailer for Black Panther with our movie.  :)

We will definitely be trying to go again while it's in the theaters.  

ETA: Two end credits scenes.  One right after the movie ends, and one at the very end of the credits.  I would say that the first one is the important one to see. 

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen Murder on the Orient Express yet?  Or Victoria and Abdul?

Hubby and I were thinking of seeing a movie this coming Tuesday and those are the only two that sort of interest us, but we're not really sure even those interest us.  Other reviews are too iffy to be helpful.  Has anyone here seen either and liked/disliked them?

Neither of us are Thor people.  We didn't care for Guardians of the Galaxy so saying Thor is like that helps us save our $$.

I'm only interested in Ragnarok because I'm a Taika Waititi fan, but I'll wait until it's out on DVD/streaming. I am planning to see Murder on the Orient Express. The funny thing is I don't remember "who dun it" even though I read the book. 

Edited by Word Nerd

We loved Thor and Lady Marmalade described it perfectly- kind of a mashup of Thor and Guardians.  

We saw Murder on the Orient Express and enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be, but I think that's our fault. We had too much packed into the day and when I sank into those comfy reclining chairs in a dark theater, I got a little sleepy.  And Murder wasn't action filled so it felt slow. 

The scenery though!

• Like 2

I saw Murder on the Orient Express yesterday afternoon with my daughters. I was so excited to see this as I love period pieces and Agatha Christie's murder mysteries are usually filmed well. I love David Suchet's Poirot but one of my favorite AG films is Evil Under the Sun with Peter Ustinov as the Belgian detective. 

This is a beautifully filmed movie - the sets are lovely to look at and the costuming is just wonderful.  That said, overall the story as presented wasn't very compelling. It plodded along and the final group scene with Poirot solving the murder left me feeling like, "So what?".  

They added some extra things to the story and to Poirot's background that I thought were unnecessary, I guess the filmmakers were trying to make the story more contemporary? Also, with so many wonderful actors in the movie it was a real shame that they weren't given more to do. Poirot's mustache was quite its own character. ;)

I know I've read the book and have probably seen one of the older adaptations but I couldn't quite remember the whodunit, either. 

It wasn't a bad movie and is worth seeing and I know I'll watch it again when it is available for streaming. My daughters (ages 11 - 29) all enjoyed it so maybe I'm just a picky old curmudgeon.

• Like 1

We loved Thor and Lady Marmalade described it perfectly- kind of a mashup of Thor and Guardians.

I loved Ragnarok, and found it to hit the sweet spot for a fun Marvel movie that Guardians 2 kind of missed. At first I thought a humorous tone would be a bit OOC, but it's easily justified and leads well into the next Avengers film.

By the end of the movie, you get the sense that Thor has developed this idea of, "I've seen it all, and everything always works out." Which... is not going to happen in Infinity War.

I'm not a movie rewatcher and generally don't see much in the theater, but I'll gladly pay to see this one again.

Thank you for all the Murder on the Orient Express reviews. Going to see that next week. I do remember how it ends, so I'll try to go in with Harry Potter-level reasonable expectations.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Saw Wonder today and both hubby and I really, really liked it.  It's suitable for all ages above really young kids.  There's nothing unsuitable in it for those ages other than they'd possibly be bored.

In my mind it's a terrific movie for youngsters growing up as they are processing the world around them and the differences among us.

It's a movie I plan to recommend my college lads watch, not because they "need" it, but just because I expect they'll enjoy it too.

• Like 2

Just bumping in case anyone gets to watch Jumanji.  It's on our radar - we loved the first - and we really enjoyed Kevin Hart and the Rock together in Central Intelligence...  This one looks very different, but different is ok as long as it stays clean enough for my "too old for today's movies" lovers.  If not, we'd prefer to skip it in the theaters and catch it on Netflix if at all.

• Like 1

Oooh! I had forgotten about Jumanji. I'm hoping it's good! (fingers crossed)

Last week we saw The Man Who Invented Christmas. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6225520/

Everyone in my family really liked it. It was beautiful to look at - the costuming was good, the sets, etc. Dan Stevens was likable and funny as Charles Dickens  - his facial expressions were priceless!  I'll definitely be adding it to my family's list of movies to watch at Christmastime. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Star Wars: The Last Jedi ROCKED.

It was awesome.  So much fun!  If you like Star Wars and enjoyed The Force Awakens, you will love this continuation of the story.

Usual SW violence.  Focus on the Family said this morning that there is nothing new here in regards to content that would raise a red flag for parents.  If your kids are good with previous SW movies, they're good to go on this one.

We're going to see this one several times. 

• Like 5

Ds is done with finals and recovered, so I got to go to the movies!!!  We saw Thor Saturday and Coco Sunday.  I LOVED them both.  After the past few months I really needed feel-good fun movies that made me laugh and they fit the bill.

Jedi is next weekend.

I really want to see Jumanji, too.  I loved Central Intelligence and, well, I can't miss anything with Amy Pond :-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went and saw Jumanji today.  Another fun movie for us!  It was quite predictable at times, but I thought the updating to the video game was a fabulous twist on the story.  There was a little bit of a homage to the classic which was just the right touch that made you remember that it was Robin Williams who was stuck in the game with the last movie.

There were a few anatomical things that were focused on (briefly) by the girl who was being played by Jack Black, but other than those, really nothing inappropriate for children.  Some intensity which ramps up as the number of lives begins to dwindle.  There were some gross moments where you could hear the under 12 crowd in the packed theater reacting audibly.  

Great cast that did a great job not playing themselves.  It was a hoot!

• Like 1

We just watched The Last Jedi today and really enjoyed it.

Tomorrow will be Jumanji. 

It's nice having two of our boys back home and reliving our "good old days!"  It's way to short of a time, but we've been really, really enjoying it.

Game night tonight with it being New Year's Eve...

Then Tues/Wed they leave and it's back to empty nesting coupled with caring for our parents.  (We spent time with both sets of parents this past week too - whirlwind week.)

The Last Jedi was good- better than I expected. I had heard some pretty harsh reviews. Maybe if I was a super Star Wars fan I would be more critical. But I liked it!

Jumanji was surprisingly good!! I'm not a Jack Black fan but I really liked him in this! It was fun to hear our adult children laugh out loud during the movie- great fun!

The week before Christmas we saw Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri.  Way different than our usual movie, but we went because our friends invited us. Boy am I glad we didn't chose the movie- there was a suicide in it and my best friend was triggered by it because her beloved 13 year old grandson committed suicide a few years ago. It was an interesting movie but surely not something I would have chosen. 

• Like 1

We watched Lion together yesterday.  It's not new.  We got it via Netflix.  It is an amazing (albeit sad) true story worthy of a bit of discussion afterward.  Young Saroo is an awesome child actor IMO.

Three Billboards appears to have too much language in it for my sensitive ears so we're totally skipping it.  I feel sorry for your best friend, Annie.

• Like 3

Movies I've seen recently:

Lady Bird --- I adored it, it was so true to life.  I was especially interested in how it talked about religion. Lady Bird goes to a Catholic school but isn't Catholic. As someone who isn't Catholic anymore, but misses the ritual, I recognized so much about the movie as being true, including that nuns are really smart.  "Attention is love" is the theme; we complain most about things that are most important to us.  Our whole theater cried like 4x during this movie even though nothing especially terrible happens.

Murder on the Orient Express --- it was beautiful, enjoyable, well made but kinda forgettable.  I don't regret going, but I'm glad I saw it in the bargain $3 theater.

The Last Jedi --- I am in the "hated it" camp. I don't mind change, and thought The Force Awakens was really well done.  But this movie , bleh, it was a wreck to me.   I kept hearing Han Solo's voice "That's not how the Force works!!"    To those who enjoyed it, though, you're not wrong, I'm happy for you.  

• Like 1

Recent movies seen...

Have never seen other versions of Murder on the Orient Express, but dd & I saw the recent one. We enjoyed it. I wouldn't rate it a favorite, but it was a nice way to spend a couple of hours. I liked Branagh as Poirot.

----------

Saw The Last Jedi w/ my dc, sil, & nephew. Overall, a good enough popcorn movie but Star Wars is just not really my thing even though I enjoyed it. By next week, I will have probably forgotten much of it.

I do like their newer cast & I think they've done very well (considering the complete hokiness of the original six movies) with setting up the next generation of characters as ones you want to root for (or against). I felt the story itself was a complete rehash yet again (like it is every time).

Some random comments:

Kylo Ren = Snape Jr. (Maybe Harry Potter needs a cameo in the next movie? Or Voldemort?)

Chewbacca has lost weight (& height). Did he join Weight Watchers for 2017? And maybe he's shrinking in his old(er) age?

Fight in the red salt fields led to some cool visual effects.

Also liked the effect of Rey multiplied.

Benecio del Toro! (I didn't know he was there. What a wonderful surprise even though he turned out to be a jerk. Wonder if he will show up in the next installment?)

In the casino run-through, Daniel Craig (who had a cameo in a previous SW movie as a storm trooper) should have totally, totally been at one of the gaming tables as James Bond. Would have been a completely awesome & odd cameo to stick in there.

Light sabers are the saving grace of this series. They need more of them in the next movie.

I love seeing the previews & they played many, but I was sorely disappointed. I can't say I'm interested in seeing any of the movies shown in previews. And, since the previews selected are aimed for the movie audience, it was a bit of a poor sales job (imo) for The Last Jedi movie.

Overall, an entertaining enough way to spend a couple of hours, but I wouldn't go see it again.

----------

Ds & I went to see Die Hard on the big screen at the local theater that shows flashback movies each week. Very happy they included it in their Christmas line-up & they even have a little pre-movie talk they show that gives you info/background on each movie. This talk mentioned the controversy as to whether or not people consider it a Christmas movie or not. :lol:

A side note -- in my sister's neighborhood, a guy who lives there puts in ductwork for a living. He built the ductwork tunnel that Bruce Willis is crawling through in the movie & got a big poster to put inside it. His yard decoration this year was awesome (& his house won the neighborhood decoration award this year):

23795826_10156101699015809_1989565103744

It's still one of the best action movies ever. Plus, it's where I was first exposed to Alan Rickman as an actor so long ago & I fell in love with his acting. Love it. We had a great time seeing on the big screen & eating popcorn & Raisinets for lunch.

Rating: 1000 times better than any Star Wars movie.

Very fun way to spend New Year's Even afternoon.

----------

So, out of my three recent movie trips, the oldie but goodie Die Hard is still the best, hands down.

• Like 7

The kids went and saw The Greatest Showman today with friends.  All four of them came out with huge eyeballs.  DS had a look on his face and said to me "That. Was the best movie I've ever seen.  And that's saying a lot."  And as I drove the other girls home, they just kept saying over and over "That was SO good.  SO GOOD!"

DD's report was that "Troy from HS Musical is all grown up and WOW, I'm SO glad he didn't stop singing!" 

I'll be going with my kids on Tuesday, so I'll report back my thoughts, but both of mine give it a spectacular two thumbs up. 

• Like 3

The kids went and saw The Greatest Showman today with friends.  All four of them came out with huge eyeballs.  DS had a look on his face and said to me "That. Was the best movie I've ever seen.  And that's saying a lot."  And as I drove the other girls home, they just kept saying over and over "That was SO good.  SO GOOD!"

DD's report was that "Troy from HS Musical is all grown up and WOW, I'm SO glad he didn't stop singing!" 

I'll be going with my kids on Tuesday, so I'll report back my thoughts, but both of mine give it a spectacular two thumbs up. 

I keep hearing this about The Greatest Showman and I have to confess when I initially started seeing trailers I was SURE this movie was going to be awful. I mean, I kept thinking about how the circus sideshows and treatment of elephants/lions/tigers is so frowned upon now and wondered how they were going to make the movie appealing.  Music! That's how they did it! 

I saw Coco with 3 generations of my family and loved it. Every Mexican-American I know here has seen it and loved it, too.

"Darkest Hour" (Churchill) was also excellent. I soon forgot it was Gary Oldman and felt like I was watching Churchill himself.

I wanted to love the new "Murder on the Orient Express" b/c I love British mysteries, but my husband and I both fell asleep (we had gotten back from England the day before, so we were jet-lagged). (We went to see it with my parents and some friends, with whom we had recently taken a train Ă¢â‚¬â€œ the Coast Starlight Ă¢â‚¬â€œ from Los Angeles to Seattle, so that aspect was fun!) We saw the movie again and ... fell asleep again, but for less of the movie. I've loved Kenneth Branagh ever since Henry V. But when did Johnny Depp get old????

This thread has convinced me to go see "The Greatest Showman." Thank you!

I will see the new Star Wars movie only if someone drags me. A friend dragged me to the Rogue One one and it was okay.

• Like 1

oh, just FYI ... friends of our have the MoviePass membership and like it. For $10 a month you can see a (different) movie every day, in the theater. We are a bit wary, b/c we don't see movies every month (and then some months we see several). And it doesn't seem sustainable. But our friends decided they'd enjoy it while it lasts!

I'm getting a movie pass. It works in almost any theater. All the local ones near me, from the fancy to the bargain basement ones, take it.  Theaters LOVE it, they make their money from concessions.  

It's a good deal even if you go 2x per month. 

How it works is, Movie Pass pays the theater the full price for your ticket.  They will use the data of who goes to what movies to make their money-- is their plan. Will it work? Who knows. I hope so. I like the idea of unlimited movies at the theater for $10/month!

• Like 3

We were dubious that MoviePass would work at our local independent theater (w/ real food!) where we see almost all of our movies, but it does. Right now it's just inertia (creating an account, during the busy holiday season) that is stopping us.

Just a few days ago there was a NYT (or was it WSJ?) article about how MoviePass has really taken off since they lowered the monthly price from $50 to $35 to (now) $10.

• Like 1

oh, just FYI ... friends of our have the MoviePass membership and like it. For $10 a month you can see a (different) movie every day, in the theater. We are a bit wary, b/c we don't see movies every month (and then some months we see several). And it doesn't seem sustainable. But our friends decided they'd enjoy it while it lasts!

I've been looking at this at Costco.com. It comes w/ a 1 year membership to Fandor, which I'm not sure I'd use much, but the savings on movies in theaters alone makes me want this. 

We'll see if DH will get one. We're empty nesters. I think it would be fun and we could easily get our money's worth. We saw a movie on a Friday night and it cost us $25 and that was just for the tickets, so, yeah. 

I've been looking at this at Costco.com. It comes w/ a 1 year membership to Fandor, which I'm not sure I'd use much, but the savings on movies in theaters alone makes me want this. 

We'll see if DH will get one. We're empty nesters. I think it would be fun and we could easily get our money's worth. We saw a movie on a Friday night and it cost us $25 and that was just for the tickets, so, yeah. 

Oooooh thank you!! Saving that extra $10 makes it worth it to me! And with Costco, if Movie Pass goes out of business, I'll get a refund.  WHOOOT!

• Like 1

I think the best movie we saw this last year was Three Billboards.  It was funny, dark, and really made you think about a lot of things including redemption. 

It felt weird to me to laugh so much in such a dark movie but it was absolutely both funny and sobering!

We watched Lion together yesterday.  It's not new.  We got it via Netflix.  It is an amazing (albeit sad) true story worthy of a bit of discussion afterward.  Young Saroo is an awesome child actor IMO.

We loved Lion.  And I agree that Young Saroo was fantastic in that movie.  We watched it on Netflix and I felt that something was off.  There were no subtitles in the first half of the movie.  We had to surmise the story by what was happening.  Then, when the movie was in English, the subtitles from the first part of the movie appeared.  It was surreal in how the echo from the first part of the movie matched up with the second part.  I wondered if it was an arty, intentional choice, but found out it was a bug in our Netflix movie.  Now I want to see it how it was meant to be seen.

I can't wait to see Lady Bird.  I hope I can watch it with dd. 

Has anyone seen the Swedish version of A Man Called Ove?  I saw it a couple of months ago with a book club I was thinking of joining (that is the book we read and we watched the movie after the discussion.)  I didn't think I would like the movie, but I loved it.  I went to watch it with dh, but I was there weren't any subtitles when it first started.  I can't remember when the subtitles started or if it switched over to English.  I was so involved with the movie that I don't remember.  I did hear that they are making an American version with Tom Hanks, but I just don't think it will have the charm of the book or the Swedish movie.  

• Like 2

Oooooh thank you!! Saving that extra $10 makes it worth it to me! And with Costco, if Movie Pass goes out of business, I'll get a refund.  WHOOOT!

Good point. I hadn't thought about that. 

Now, if DH and I both get a MoviePass, do we get 2 years of Fandor? Anyone know?

We loved Jumanji. I haven't seen the first one (it looked darker and more frightening than what I usually like), but my 3 kids (2 college aged, one high school) and I really liked the more recent one for a light hearted movie.

We choose our seats when we purchase tickets at the theater. I really like this feature, but do you know if MoviePass assigns seats together when other tickets are purchased? If I go with DH, will we be able to sit together?

• Like 1

We loved Lion.  And I agree that Young Saroo was fantastic in that movie.  We watched it on Netflix and I felt that something was off.  There were no subtitles in the first half of the movie.  We had to surmise the story by what was happening.  Then, when the movie was in English, the subtitles from the first part of the movie appeared.  It was surreal in how the echo from the first part of the movie matched up with the second part.  I wondered if it was an arty, intentional choice, but found out it was a bug in our Netflix movie.  Now I want to see it how it was meant to be seen.  

That would be very strange!  Our Netflix version was normal... middle son had already seen (and recommended) the movie, so I suppose he'd have clued us in if something had been astray.  Otherwise, like you, we'd have wondered!

Otherwise... we just got back from Jumanji and absolutely loved it!  It was hilarious - very, very fun to watch.  It definitely tied in nicely to the first one (which we also love).  The only "issue" is our theater was PACKED and unfortunately a young lad about 3-5 years of age was two seats down from me.  He was not a quiet young lad and his mother didn't make much of an effort to stop his questions/comments.  He was probably a little too young to really "get" the movie, so I assume got bored, though he was talkative from the moment they sat down.

The movie itself was very worth watching though.  I enjoy Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart together with a good writer.

The Last Jedi was good, but those movies are getting pretty ho-hum to me I suppose.  I don't mind what they are doing with The Force and rather like that it is now something everyone could access instead of just an elite hereditary thing.  But it's still the same thing with minor variations.

Jumanji took a cool idea and did a pretty darn cool sequel - same game - evolving through the years in a really cute way.

The Lion we really enjoyed, but it's a totally different genre, so difficult to compare.

Any of the three are worthy of watching pending what someone wants to see.  For "fun," Jumanji definitely wins (for us).

The Last Jedi was good, but those movies are getting pretty ho-hum to me I suppose.  I don't mind what they are doing with The Force and rather like that it is now something everyone could access instead of just an elite hereditary thing.  But it's still the same thing with minor variations.

I've heard this before, but, it doesn't make sense to me. The Force was never just a hereditary thing.... Jedi do not have kids, ever.  I don't know if they were celibate or what, but, they were explicitly forbidden from having family attachments.  So, every Jedi or force-user we have ever met came from non force-parents.  Except for Luke and Kylo Ren.   And maybe Anakin?  I never really understood his whole unnatural birth deal.

• Like 1

Saw Wonder today and both hubby and I really, really liked it. It's suitable for all ages above really young kids. There's nothing unsuitable in it for those ages other than they'd possibly be bored.

In my mind it's a terrific movie for youngsters growing up as they are processing the world around them and the differences among us.

It's a movie I plan to recommend my college lads watch, not because they "need" it, but just because I expect they'll enjoy it too.

I finally saw Wonder today, it was so good! I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t feel like it focused much on AugieĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s friendship with Summer but it was still good. It definitely would be fine for children to watch, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t remember anything objectionable.

My husband and I went to All the Money in the World on Christmas. It was really well done. I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t believe many key scenes we reshot AFTER Thanksgiving. Kevin Spacey in the role of JP Getty just wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have been the same.

• Like 3