Menu

prayers good thoughts for dd please UPDATE#9

gardenmom5

she loved her job - her coworkers loved her, and some idiot upstream (bosses bosses boss) decided they didn't need what she was doing - so she (and a few others) got a layoff notice.  her coworkers  were calling all their friends to try and find something for her (which is how she got this job)  - her bosses bosses boss realized "ooops" (big fat oops) they really *did* need what she and the others were doing - but due to company policy, she has to stay away for six months.  (she got a decent severance pkg).

anyway - ff to today . . she has an interview with a local company (150 employees - bought-out by a german company) the recruiter didn't think to tell her earlier that her (first!) interview is with the ceo - and it's all about how well she can mesh with him (he's german, and has been in the us for a year).  that's to whom she'd be reporting.  apparently, her tech skills are just fine -it's all about meshing with the ceo and the head of hr (who is flying in for this meeting). she's been in a job where the local dress code is . . . jeans, t-shirts, yoga pants, etc. no make-up.  (techie chic)

I'm not sure about her level of polish . . . I've seen her dress up, but it's rare.

please - prayers/good thoughts she can present herself well.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

thank you all.

it went fabulously.  she said she felt like she was "herself", more than she has felt for a long time.  she was bubbly/perky/hyped when I spoke to her afterwards.

(eta:corrected - she shared a story about a tech problem that a dev - who's also doing a start-up - was having.   apparently it's one that has been going on for three months - but was never fixed.  she figured out what was wrong - and how to fix it.  so, she fixed it.

next step is meeting with the tech person from their parent company.  (no idea how that's going to work - parent company is in germany.)   -she just texted me.  they'll set something up for next week due to someone who needs to be there is on vacation.

it's the head of the tech dept of the local subsidiary - she hadn't been told that.   but that's why they want someone who can effectively communicate.  their current tech person - can't and it's making the c-levels irritable.

the hard part has been dealing with her volatile moods and paranoia she'll run out of money before getting a job. (severance, and unemployment - she's fine.) we kept assuring her, if things got really bad, she can rent out her house - furnished - for more than her mortgage payment.  she does have to replace the deck, it was iffy when she bought the house, but there were higher priorities.  she's having composite, which costs more, but this is seattle and it rains.  wood rots.

I've been pretty calm things would work out, and I've given her the lecture she needs to stop wallowing in her upset so she can be functional.  so she's been doing better.   I'm confident  she'll get a job - it's just when.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

her interview two weeks ago went well.  it was with the person to whom she would report, and a HR person.  thank you for all your prayers and good thoughts.

the tech interview with the german parent company was monday.  (someone was on vacation). late last week, she was told by the recruiter that the company had suspended its search pending her tech interview. 

- the tech interview . . . .  wasn't a tech interview.  it was strategy and management.  and converting operating systems across all subsidiaries to be on the same page . . . .   as they were talking, she felt like they were talking to her as though she'd already been hired.  at the end - the german "tech" (re: engineer re: not computers) person said "I have a good feeling about this".

wednesday morning? . . she got a call from the recruiter that the person she will be replacing - resigned tuesday night.  (not sure if he saw the handwriting on the wall - or was "asked" to resign.)  dd looked him up.  he's a 'wannabe dev' (re: he's not *even* a dev.)  no way could he do this job (hence why he was being replaced) - it's ops.  she .  . . is energized by it. (and she can use little words with no more than two syllables so that non-tech people can understand what she's saying.) she expects she'll be bringing order from chaos.  late wednesday afternoon - she got another call from the recruiter with an unofficial offer.

the recruiter is very invested in this and keeping her as up to date as possible  - how much do they get for a finder's fee?

she got her official offer today - :thumbup1:  .   and while she was telling all of this to us - she got an email from nordstrom.  they want to talk to her.  too late.

so - she went shopping and bought a bunch of new clothes.  and tickets for circ du soliel for her and a friend.

I'm just so happy for her.  her 2nd to last job - her boss was a complete and utter sob.  to everyone.  

she starts monday.

• Like 24

the recruiter is very invested in this and keeping her as up to date as possible - how much do they get for a finder's fee?

The headhunters I had worked with get like $5k or the equivalent of a months pay of the job. That was already a quite a few years ago so probably more now. I think 8filltheheart's sibling is a headhunter/recruiter.

My husband's current and former employers offer about $3k per successful employee referral.

Congrats to your daughter!

• Like 1

The headhunters I had worked with get like $5k or the equivalent of a months pay of the job. That was already a quite a few years ago so probably more now. I think 8filltheheart's sibling is a headhunter/recruiter.

My husband's current and former employers offer about $3k per successful employee referral.

Congrats to your daughter!

yeah . .  I can see how that would get them excited.  . . .

• Like 1

Congratulations to your daughter!  It sounds like a great fit for her.

If it's a corporate recruiter they may get an annual bonus based on different metrics such as how long it took to fill the positions throughout the year, etc, so this one placement is a piece of the puzzle.

If it's a headhunter, the company may get up to 25% of her base salary as a fee, which sounds huge.  But, the companies typically invest in expensive tools such as Linked In, Monster, etc to identify talent as well as salaries of the recruiters and the actual recruiter may only get a small piece of that fee.

• Like 1

Yay!

Fees recruiters get in my husband's industry vary. A direct hire fee would usually be 10% of the first years salary. For a contractor the recruiter is getting $50-$100 per day. A good recruiter has a good relationship with companies they hire for, it makes finding a good employee much easier.

• Like 1

Yay!

Fees recruiters get in my husband's industry vary. A direct hire fee would usually be 10% of the first years salary. For a contractor the recruiter is getting $50-$100 per day. A good recruiter has a good relationship with companies they hire for, it makes finding a good employee much easier.

direct hire.  she said she actually found it on a job site - but it was going through an employment agency so they were doing all the footwork/vetting before sending resumes to them.  more than she was making, but it's a small company so still on the lower end of the scale. (even the ceo is lower end of the scale). I've no idea about the parent company. - they're all privately held.

her little voice kept telling her to "think bigger". . ok  . . no no no . . .  - think *bigger*.   so, she did.

though the phone calls from some recruiters . . some of them just irked her.  it was like they didn't actually read her resume and were calling her about barely above entry level stuff.  'take me off you list' click.

she was over last night trying to calm down.   she starts on monday.  and she'll have to up her wardrobe (can't wear athletic clothes to this one), so she's done some clothes shopping.

and a month ago she was having major freakouts that she'd have to rent out her house, so she was getting bids on having her deck replaced.  (much needed.) . . now - she's telling the contractor to go with the composite.  (it doesn't rot - which is a big issue here.  -  don't have to stain/paint it, and it lasts longer than cedar.)

thank you everyone.  this is my volatile (but brilliant) kid.  we're all hoping when she's sufficiently "stimulated", she'll calm down.   and we've actually seen that.   she needs the mental stimulation.  and with this - she should get it.  

• Like 2