Menu

Transcripts for outsourced classes?

I'm in the very beginning stages of deciding whether to continue homeschooling my DD12 for high school (her older sisters went to PS after homeschooling through middle school). If I do keep her home for HS, it is very likely that I will use a combination of mom-taught, at home courses; various online providers (WHA, WTMA, & PAH); and possibly some in-person, local classes. Will I submit transcripts from each of these providers? If so, colleges will likely receive 5+ transcripts for this one student. That seems complicated and confusing. But, if they are teaching the class and assigning the grade, doesn't it make sense the transcript would come from the provider directly? Or am I still the "teacher" and am simply sub-contracting part of that job to various providers? If the latter is the case, can I modify the grade in order to achieve consistency? If one provider considers a 91% an A-, but another calls it an A, what do you do? Change things for the sake of consistency or just list as reported by the provider.

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I did a search and although I found many, many threads about transcripts, I didn't see the answer to this specific question. Thanks in advance!

Classes taught at our co-op are put on our transcript and I am still considered the 'teacher'.   The only classes that I get a separate transcript for is dual enrolled classes from our local college.  I still put those DE classes on our transcript, but we also receive an official transcript from the college as well.  

For our homeschool, I grade A, B, C.....  no + or _'s.  So, if a teacher gives a B+ grade, I list it on our transcript as a B and an A- would be an A.  

• Like 3

I put them on my transcript with the provider's name.

For dual enrollment, the colleges seem to want a separate official transcript, but none of the colleges we applied to wanted that from the online high school classes.

Neither of mine had plus or minus letter grades from their online classes, so I just went with what the provider assigned.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 2

No, you only provide transcripts that involve enrollment and administrative oversight by the outside organization. So you will only need additional transcripts if your student was involved with the following:

- an accrediting organization or cover/umbrella organization (if paying for their oversight, transcripts, and diploma)

- a public/private/charter high school

- a university-model school

- a virtual charter school

- dual enrollment with a community college or university

JMO: for grades:

First, make sure you "star" or mark courses from outside providers, and then at the bottom of the transcript list the names of the outside providers to match up with your stars or marks). In addition to the letter grade, also list the grade points next to each course (especially if not converting grades to a single grading scale) and then list in a section at the bottom of the transcript both grading scales (if converting to one grading scale, then just list the one grading scale).

While I would probably just go ahead and use both scales, you can convert everything to one grade scale or the other (with +/- or without +/-). But whatever you choose, be sure to list one (or both) grade scales at the bottom of the transcript and also *explain* what you did in the notes/explanation section at the bottom of the transcript.

1. you convert all to +/-, and provide that grade scale

2. OR, you convert to all standard NO +/-  and provide that grade scale

3. OR, explain that you did not convert, so some grades were awarded under one scale, and some under the other scale; be sure to provide both grade scales on the transcript AND note which course providers use which grade scale for the grade points listed in your transcript above

It's not a problem to use both scales -- you just need to make it very clear how you awarded the grade points for each credit -- so, which courses are connected to which scale.

Ultimately, the grade points are used to help you determine GPA, and it is that ultimate/overall GPA that colleges are interested in.

BEST of luck in your administrative adventures!  :tongue_smilie:  Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

We outsource all over the place but all the grades go on the single homeschool transcript. I just list the course name (Algebra 1) but provide no other information on the transcript.

The exception is dual enrollment. Both my boys so far have had two colleges for dual enrollment. Those courses and grades get listed on the homeschool transcript but then we have the official transcripts sent from each college. So, everything goes on the homeschool transcript and the official college transcripts go into their file as verification.

• Like 4

We outsource all over the place but all the grades go on the single homeschool transcript. I just list the course name (Algebra 1) but provide no other information on the transcript.

The exception is dual enrollment. Both my boys so far have had two colleges for dual enrollment. Those courses and grades get listed on the homeschool transcript but then we have the official transcripts sent from each college. So, everything goes on the homeschool transcript and the official college transcripts go into their file as verification.

This is interesting. So do you list the provider in the course descriptions? Or not at all?

Anyone else?

This is interesting. So do you list the provider in the course descriptions? Or not at all?

Anyone else?

I didn't list providers anywhere. The schools my sons have applied to have not requested course descriptions. They were not highly competitive schools.

ETA: If the college requested course descriptions I would list the providers in the descriptions.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 1