Menu

Looking for reviews or info on Shormann math (from DIVE)

My 11th grader and 8th grader have been using Khan this year for math. They don't love it. I like that it forces them to keep at it until they have mastered the topic. The Khan video explanations are sometimes lacking and I do a lot of teaching, which is fine bc I love math and have no problem with the concepts. However, I have 3 younger children, including a needy toddler and sometimes the older kids have to wait for me to explain or teach a concept and it annoys them. I'd really like to use a program that teaches the lesson then I can be available to explain or go over again if needed. Shormann looks interesting and it's at a price point that could work for me.  So please share your experience and feedback if you have used it.

My 11th grader and 8th grader have been using Khan this year for math. They don't love it. I like that it forces them to keep at it until they have mastered the topic. The Khan video explanations are sometimes lacking and I do a lot of teaching, which is fine bc I love math and have no problem with the concepts. However, I have 3 younger children, including a needy toddler and sometimes the older kids have to wait for me to explain or teach a concept and it annoys them. I'd really like to use a program that teaches the lesson then I can be available to explain or go over again if needed. Shormann looks interesting and it's at a price point that could work for me.  So please share your experience and feedback if you have used it.

We use it and love it!  It is a good program and challenging and rigorous, I think.  The Shormann's are also very helpful, especially his wife, Karen, who is the "secretary" of sorts.  She has helped me through figuring out what to do with math for my DS.  They are homeschool veterans and Dr. Shormann has a very impressive resume.  Plus, it is biblically and Christ centered which I like very much.  Even math shows God's glory and brings Him glory!  I thoroughly recommend it.

• Like 2

Thank you, Dianne, for sharing this! Are the teaching videos good?  with step by step explanations?

I guess so.  I honestly haven't looked at them.  My son does this completely independent.  If he has trouble, he can contact Dr. Shormann.  He's doing well and not a math-y kind of kid.  He has his own pace of understanding and I don't fret over it.  I've heard good things about Shormann, so we just stick with it, talk with the Shormann's when needed and press on.  If he ever needed more help then I would find a tutor or friend/family member to help him.  My son likes this format better than a class.  We tried taking a geometry class last year and he didn't like it and the teacher was awful.  Lesson learned.  We will stick with Shormann throughout.  They have upper level math, too.  Pre-Cal, Trig. or something like that.  I haven't looked at the website in a long time.  Alg. 1 includes a 1/2 credit of Geometry and Alg. 2 includes the other 1/2 credit, so the student is getting both.  The syllabus also includes calculus, trig, etc. for the Alg. 1 course.  I think it's great.  I trust Dr. Shormann.  They are veteran TX homeschoolers who have been around for a long time and have adult children who have gone through college and some have advanced degrees.  They are grandparents.  His resume is incredible, but truly, I really, really like that they are God-centered in their education approach and that helps my son see a biblical worldview in his education.  It supports what we're trying to do.  Also, if you have other children, they have a sibling discount.  Check that out and also just email Karen.  She is very helpful.

• Like 1