Menu

Civics and Government

What are some useful or fun additions to a Civics and Government class.

My kids will be taking an elective Civics class at co-op and I am looking for things to add to it.

Good books to add (not too heavy of reading)

Any good teaching company courses?

Audio speeches or lectures?

Movies?

Possible spine texts - not sure if I'd want to add any more than what I already have.

Do a mock trial and hold a mock legislative session, or have students write a bill. :) If you can, incorporate actually participation in one of these great programs -- an extracurricular AND hands-on learning!

YMCA Youth In Government

TEEN Pact

Teen Court

Youth Court

Mock Trial

Movie supplements:

- 12 Angry Men (1957) -- judicial

- Mr. Smith Goes to Washington -- legislative

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Lori's list is good. Teen Pact is popular... and I love watching 12 Angry Men.

I'd also suggest a field trip to observe a legislative body in action. We took the kids to watch a US Senate session in DC. Very memorable.

Edited by Kinsa

I'd also suggest a field trip to observe a legislative body in action. We took the kids to watch a US Senate session in DC. Very memorable.

Yes, Kinsa! We also managed a trip to the east coast and Washington DC the year before we did US History and Gov't in high school, and it was awesome! A tour of the US Capitol building would be high on the list of things to do while visiting. Wish the legislature had been in session while we were there...

And go visit a real court trial. Absolutely fascinating. I remember waayyy back to my own junior high days when our class got to do a field trip to the court house and sit in for an afternoon in a manslaughter trial.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I use the icivics online games in my classes and the students LOVE them. There are quite a few so I could use one almost every week. There is also a very good Redistricting Game I get them to play. All these games really reinforce the concepts.

And Mr Smith goes to Washington  is an excellent movie that shows how the Senate operates. The whole movie is on Youtube. 

West Wing is also great. I had never seen it (I come from South Africa) and I actually started watching just before I started teaching my class and most of the episodes bring to life topics that are covered.