Menu

I'm sure someone here knows about pedal extenders for cars

Okra

The hive is so all-knowing, I'm certain I can get some been there done that advice about pedal extenders.

My 5' 0" daughter was in a car wreck this weekend that totaled her car.  She walked away without a scratch, but also the airbags did not go off (when they most likely should have....)  If the airbags had activated, then she surely would have been hurt by the airbags.

It really opened my eyes to the fact that I need to know more about pedal extenders.

Thanks!

I am 5' and I can legally have my airbag disabled. I haven't because while I do 90% of the driving, and 100% on long trips, I'm not the only one who drives the car. 

I also use a cushion to boost me up a bit higher (shut up!) and I have found that allows me to be a bit further back from the steering wheel. My current car also has an adjustable seat belt so I can position it properly..that was HUGE. All other seat belts have cut directly across my neck, a big no-no. 

And there are many cars I have passed on because they just don't work for me. I have only ever owned hatchbacks because my visibility is much better with those than with a sedan, but I am sure there are people my height who will say they only like a sedan, lol.  There are some cars that have super nice seat controls. My mom had one seemed to have every adjustment possible. I could get good positioning with that car.

• Like 3

Thank you redsquirrel for your experience. So, many things to think about that do not affect me because I am not short.  She will need to purchase a new car, and a hatchback might be a good solution.  Also, I will have her look carefully at the seatbelts in the new car.  I had not thought about a cushion.  That's a very good idea.

Okra

I am 5'0", and I can drive most cars, but my Expedition had moveable pedals. That was SO nice because I didn't have to sit so close to the steering wheel. She might see if any of the cars have an options package with those.

My grandmother was a little shorter than I am, and she had pedal extenders. Perhaps a dealer for a specific brand could help with that?

(And fwiw, I drive both a tiny Ford Focus and a huge Ford 12 passenger van. I actually prefer the van because I can see so much better, but I do have to sit closer to the wheel in order to reach the pedals. We did have cruise control added to it because that's way more comfortable for me.)

Glad your DD is okay!

Edited by happypamama

I am 5'0", and I can drive most cars, but my Expedition had moveable pedals. That was SO nice because I didn't have to sit so close to the steering wheel. She might see if any of the cars have an options package with those.

My grandmother was a little shorter than I am, and she had pedal extenders. Perhaps a dealer for a specific brand could help with that?

I second the looking at cars with moveable pedals. That is what my friend went with over pedal extenders in her next car.  According to her, it was a complete pain in the tuckus to move the pedals to another car or to remove them when she took the car to the shop, valet, etc.  

• Like 1

Huh.  I am 4'11" and haven't considered any of this.  I just drive.

I do pay attention to what car to buy due to visibility, but then I end up sitting pretty close to the steering wheel and drive.

I currently drive a Prius, but had a Sequoia (well, still have but don't drive it as much now).  

I'm only 4'10" and have had very little difficulty driving any vehicle while also sitting far enough away from the airbag to be safe. (Yes, I have at times actually measured to make sure!) FWIW, I've found sedans to be the most difficult for me to get situated in well. The minivans and SUVs we've had have been easy peasy. Like Sparkly, I do wonder about reaching the steering wheel with pedal extenders. Most of us who are short in height have proportionally short arms. ;)

ETA: Are you sure it's not at least somewhat due to lack of knowledge about how to situate herself correctly? My MIL is maybe an inch or two taller than me, but she sits WAY closer to the steering wheel than I do. I don't know why. She's all scrunched up and couldn't stretch her arms anywhere near straight if she had to. It makes me cringe a bit to see her scrunched up like that. And I know she could move the seat back some and still reach the pedals.

Edited by Pawz4me

I'm only 4'10" and have had very little difficulty driving any vehicle while also sitting far enough away from the airbag to be safe. (Yes, I have at times actually measured to make sure!) FWIW, I've found sedans to be the most difficult for me to get situated in well. The minivans and SUVs we've had have been easy peasy. Like Sparkly, I do wonder about reaching the steering wheel with pedal extenders. Most of us who are short in height have proportionally short arms. ;)

ETA: Are you sure it's not at least somewhat due to lack of knowledge about how to situate herself correctly? My MIL is maybe an inch or two taller than me, but she sits WAY closer to the steering wheel than I do. I don't know why. She's all scrunched up and couldn't stretch her arms anywhere near straight if she had to. It makes me cringe a bit to see her scrunched up like that. And I know she could move the seat back some and still reach the pedals.

I'm trying to imagine a situation where one would HAVE to stretch their arms out straight. 

I sit as close as the seat will go.  Any further out and I feel like my feet won't properly touch the pedals. 

I'm trying to imagine a situation where one would HAVE to stretch their arms out straight. 

I sit as close as the seat will go.  Any further out and I feel like my feet won't properly touch the pedals. 

I *believe* being able to stretch ones arms out is supposed to provide the best range of motion for turning the wheel, especially in an emergency situation.

See

starting around the 30 second mark. He's mostly talking about not sitting too far back, but he addresses the proper angle of the arm at the elbow. Bent but not scrunched.

And this article, fifth bullet point.

MIL sits so close to the wheel that her upper and lower arms are scrunched together.

Hmmmm.....It is interesting to read people's opinions.  Honestly, neither my daughter nor I even thought about it prior to the wreck.  But, I do think she would have absolutely been hurt if the airbags went off because she sits so close to the wheel.

We are going to try some different things.  I think pedal extenders are around $150.  We are going to try them.  It just seems a small price to pay to ease our worries, and people on Amazon seem happy with them.  Although, I do wonder about the arm length also like some mentioned, we are going to try it and see.  If it doesn't work, then I guess we are out the money, but I want to try to do something to get her a bit more safe.

I do appreciate everyone's ideas.  :)

• Like 1