Menu

Would you test for pregnancy?

extendedforecast

Sure, Why not.  I would get a cheap one, like a dollar store test though. It is highly unlikely that you are, but seeing a negative on a test may be enough to calm your worries so you will start.

Bolding is mine...except that's not how it works.

At this point, she either is or is not pregnant. If she is, she will not get her period. If she is not, she will (unless, of course, she has not yet ovulated. Then she could still get pregnant this cycle). Her emotional state will not affect that.

Sorry, Tap, people saying that is one of the things that irritate me. 

As for the question of the OP, as you can get pretty accurate tests at the dollar store and Wal-mart, I'd test just so I'd know.

• Like 1

Well, a good way to think about testing in general is to ask if/how the results change would things.  
Would there be things you'd do if it was yes that you aren't doing now?  

Would there be things you'd do if it was no that you aren't doing now?  

Or things you'd not do, like drink alcohol?)

Thinking through those things can help you decide.  

Of course, if it's driving you nuts and you really want to know, it's fine to test just to put it to rest one way or the other.

Bolding is mine...except that's not how it works.

At this point, she either is or is not pregnant. If she is, she will not get her period. If she is not, she will (unless, of course, she has not yet ovulated. Then she could still get pregnant this cycle). Her emotional state will not affect that.

Sorry, Tap, people saying that is one of the things that irritate me. 

As for the question of the OP, as you can get pretty accurate tests at the dollar store and Wal-mart, I'd test just so I'd know.

...but when one is not pregnant, stress can and does affect the timing, at least that has been my experience. So a not-pregnant, stressed over worrying about the possibility person could, in fact, relax enough that the stress hormones stop interfering with the period hormones and things get on track. 

(or perhaps I am only inferring from correlation I've seen, and it's only psuedo science to attribute it to causation...?)

• Like 3

...but when one is not pregnant, stress can and does affect the timing, at least that has been my experience. So a not-pregnant, stressed over worrying about the possibility person could, in fact, relax enough that the stress hormones stop interfering with the period hormones and things get on track. 

(or perhaps I am only inferring from correlation I've seen, and it's only psuedo science to attribute it to causation...?)

My understanding is that (significant) stress can delay ovulation, but once you've ovulated, things are pretty much on auto-pilot.  So your cycle could be longer during a stressful period of time because your body is either delaying or totally skipping ovulation due to the stressful environment sounding off the "Don't procreate!" alarms, but once ovulation has occurred, your body will do what it can to keep things on track, because during that 10-15 day window, you *might* be experiencing conception and implantation, so definitely don't want to rock the biological boat.  

• Like 4

Well depending on when you ovulated it may not be a "long" cycle. You could still have the same length luteal phase but ovulation that occurred later in the month than usual. It's been 7 years so what did the doctors recommend you do after X number of "guaranteed" years of no pregnancies? Were you supposed to go back after so many?

It's up to you. If you really think you are, I'd get a test. If you don't think you are, I might wait a day or so just because I'm cheap and I hate buying pregnancy tests. I know people say they sell them at the dollar stores, but I would assume they still cost more than $1?? Unless they mean Dollar Tree where everything is actually $1.