Menu

If you are sugar free, 100%

DawnM

Do you make your own sauces?

Ketchup

BBQ sauce

Etc?????

I LOVE sauces.  I can't stand to eat things dry.   But all the sauces have heavy sugar contents.  I know you can buy some of these specialized, but they are so darn expensive!  

• Like 1

Do you make your own sauces?

Ketchup

BBQ sauce

Etc?????

I LOVE sauces.  I can't stand to eat things dry.   But all the sauces have heavy sugar contents.  I know you can buy some of these specialized, but they are so darn expensive!  

I buy all my sauces from Tessemae (they are available at Whole Foods, also some grocery stores, but mainly online).  There are sugar (and soy, gluten, and dairy) free ketchup, BBQ, ranch, buffalo, mayo, etc.  They do take some time to get used to - the taste is different than what we usually consume.

I buy all my sauces from Tessemae (they are available at Whole Foods, also some grocery stores, but mainly online).  There are sugar (and soy, gluten, and dairy) free ketchup, BBQ, ranch, buffalo, mayo, etc.  They do take some time to get used to - the taste is different than what we usually consume.

Whoa...really?  I need to go back to WF and find those.

I buy the reduced sugar ketchup.  I rarely eat ketchup so making it seems rather pointless to me.  BBQ sauce, I would love to try making my own.  I've bought G Hughes before.  It wasn't bad. 

So I am sugar free, but no I have not really tried making all of those things.  I always wonder how I'd make a small quantity so then I just end up giving up on the idea. 

I do love to experiment though so maybe I'll give it a try.  What do you tend to use for sweetener? 

And the cost?  Is it significantly higher?

That is my concern.  

I have purchased Bone Suckin' Sauce but it is very expensive.  $7 per 16 ounces and we use the entire jar in a pulled pork crockpot meal.  

That is my concern.  

I have purchased Bone Suckin' Sauce but it is very expensive.  $7 per 16 ounces and we use the entire jar in a pulled pork crockpot meal.  

My guess is yes.  That stuff is crazy expensive.

Frustrating as heck.

I haven't seen the Bone Suckin' Sauce. 

That is my concern.  

You can try making crockpot pulled pork without bbq sauce---it is still VERY good. I use 1-2 sweet vidalia-style onions cut up underneath the pork roast and add a few splashes of apple cider vinegar, Then a variety of spices (cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt, pepper, etc.) on top and several pats of butter. And sometimes some pepper rings. The onions cook to nothing and add a touch of sweetness without the sugar! Fantastic. My mouth is watering. I'm cooking this tomorrow. :-)

I'm as close to 100% added sugar-freee as I can knowingly get, and alas, I've given up ketchup. But at this point I no longer miss it at all. Never thought I'd say that...I was a HEINZ girl. lol!

You can try making crockpot pulled pork without bbq sauce---it is still VERY good. I use 1-2 sweet vidalia-style onions cut up underneath the pork roast and add a few splashes of apple cider vinegar, Then a variety of spices (cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt, pepper, etc.) on top and several pats of butter. And sometimes some pepper rings. The onions cook to nothing and add a touch of sweetness without the sugar! Fantastic. My mouth is watering. I'm cooking this tomorrow. :-)

I'm as close to 100% added sugar-freee as I can knowingly get, and alas, I've given up ketchup. But at this point I no longer miss it at all. Never thought I'd say that...I was a HEINZ girl. lol!

This doesn't work for me.  I hate onions!!!!

But I do agree in general you can season a pulled pork without dumping a bottle of sauce on it.

I have made my own sauces.  Tomatoes have enough natural sweetness to them that to me, you don't really need to add sugar/sweetener anyway.  The BBQ sauce that I made used Splenda, I think, or something like that.  It tasted really good, but now I've given up artificial sweeteners too, so I haven't made it recently.  The last time I made BBQ (ribs) I just used a rub, and that made them flavorful enough that they didn't really need sauce.

What was shocking to me was to learn that every single brand/type of ranch dressing at my regular supermarket had sugar.  I mean, why does ranch dressing need to be sweet?!?

• Like 1

My daughter makes Whole 30 bbq sauce, ranch, buffalo sauce and maybe ketchup? If you look up Whole 30 recipes for those sauces, they'll have no sugar. We do use Tessemae's stuff too in a pinch, and we buy the paleo mayo with avocado oil (can't remember the brand). I'll also buy the Sir Kensington's mayo with olive oil, even though there is a little sugar in that one.

Edited by StaceyinLA

I should add that we are purchasing 20 pounds of already cooked pulled pork from my son's scout troop.  We are freezing it and plan to have it throughout the year.  So, no spicing it up to cook.

Honestly, I don't even really like pork and refuse to cook it because raw pork smells so bad to me.  But I will eat it if it is already cooked and DH will cook it sometimes since I won't.

I also really like SAUCE!  Dry rubs don't do it for me, nor do spices.  I love wet sauce.

I love sauces too.

I buy the Heinz reduced sugar (1g carb) ketchup. It's good and not horribly expensive.

We like the G. Hughes BBQ sauce, it's not too expensive at all. I think it's $3-4 at walmart.

The same company also make Guy's BBQ sauce and I think it's a little better but I have to order it so I buy the G Hughes if I need a bottle.

http://www3.netrition.com/guys_bbq_sauce.html

• Like 1

I used to make ketchup,BBQ sauce, mayo. But it just got to be such a pain in the ass for a flavor that was simply masking the good flavors of the food I was making that I stopped. Now I really focus on flavoring things to perfection. And if you want that wet feeling sauce gives you then don't drain the fat from your dishes.

I haven't found a sugar free ketchup that I like. I don't eat enough of it to matter. I don't like BBQ sauce, so that's easy. :)

Duke's Mayonnaise is sugar free and the best-tasting, widely available commercial brand. It's an easy base for aiolis, ranch, etc.

• Like 1

I make variations on white sauce / gravy, which don't have sugar.

So things like cheese sauce (milk, flour, fat, cheese), gravy (broth, flour, fat, usually some veg like onion and celery), curry (milk or broth, flour, fat, and curry powder, plus usually onions and raisins), Thai-esque curry (curry paste, coconut milk, corn starch - this one is a bit different than a white sauce), and so on.  The variations are endless and it's easy to make.

2-3 tbsp fat (butter, olive oil, etc.)

2-3 tbsp flour (whole wheat or all-purpose)

2 cups liquid (broth, milk, coconut milk, or some kind of combo with wine or cream)

Look up "white sauce" to get the basic recipe.

Edited by justasque

I haven't found a sugar free ketchup that I like. I don't eat enough of it to matter. I don't like BBQ sauce, so that's easy. :)

Duke's Mayonnaise is sugar free and the best-tasting, widely available commercial brand. It's an easy base for aiolis, ranch, etc.

I can't buy Duke's here in the midwest so I stock up when I'm in the south. You're right- it's a good base for ranch, etc.  

• Like 1

What was shocking to me was to learn that every single brand/type of ranch dressing at my regular supermarket had sugar. I mean, why does ranch dressing need to be sweet?!?

Homemade ranch is so yummy! Buttermilk and mayo 2:1, then chopped fesh herbs and a little S&P. I use parsley, green onion and a little thyme or cilantro. Sometimes a little garlic. My kids will not eat store bought ranch anymore!

Almost all store bought salad dressing has sugar or corn syrup (yuck!!) in it, even the oil and vinegar types.

• Like 1

Yes, I make my own. I am able to eat molasses, maple syrup and honey, though. If you can put these into sauces, it helps. 

This could be a great opportunity to try other types of marinades and dressings. For Asian foods, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce and fresh ginger makes an amazing marinade. It is so tasty. You could probably substitute something for soy sauce, if you can't have that.

Homemade ranch is so yummy! Buttermilk and mayo 2:1, then chopped fesh herbs and a little S&P. I use parsley, green onion and a little thyme or cilantro. Sometimes a little garlic. My kids will not eat store bought ranch anymore!

Almost all store bought salad dressing has sugar or corn syrup (yuck!!) in it, even the oil and vinegar types.

Which would be similar to many of the bottled things if one is trying to cut down on sugar. 

I like homemade too, but I never can use up the various ingredients before they go bad. 

That sounds much better than store-bought!

How long does it last in the fridge?  

Yes, I make my own. I am able to eat molasses, maple syrup and honey, though. If you can put these into sauces, it helps. 

This could be a great opportunity to try other types of marinades and dressings. For Asian foods, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce and fresh ginger makes an amazing marinade. It is so tasty. You could probably substitute something for soy sauce, if you can't have that.

I use sesame oil and ginger (and garlic/onion) in my Asian dishes, including fried rice or cauliflower "fried rice."  I also use it for other Asian foods.

• Like 1

How long does it last in the fridge?

Haha! Last as in til it goes bad? Never happens here. ;) Seriously, it is made with buttermilk, which is already cultured, so quite a while, well over a week for sure. I make it in a 2C. measuring cup and keep it in a pint jar. 1C buttermilk, 1/2C mayo. I use whole milk buttermilk from cows that eat grass. SO much better than that from the big dairies!

That sounds much better than store-bought!

It is yummy! The texture is thinner and not gummy. You can add a bit of cayenne or avocado or dijon or lemon or bleu cheese to vary the taste. Best chilled before serving to let the flavors blend a bit.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

I try to keep homemade ranch mix in the fridge. I tweak this recipe: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/homemade-ranch-seasoning-mix/ 

My advice is to use less milk. You can make up small amounts at a time in a little jar. 

I also keep Hidden Valley Ranch Mix on hand. There's no sugar in the mix. If you can find the jars, it's much easier to make up smaller amounts. 

• Like 2

I've posted this many times.  It's my favorite ketchup, even among store-bought.  I leave out the cinnamon/cloves/allspice stuff and otherwise make it exactly as written.  I use medjool dates.  Mine keeps for 3 weeks in a fridge that never seems to help foods stay fresh at all!

https://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/06/wf2-recipe-kickass-ketchup/

I'd add some other spices (dried mustard, a dash of chili powder, maybe even a little ginger), maybe a little liquid smoke (is that sugar free?) and add 1-2 more dates, then simmer down to thicken it for a BBQ sauce.

• Like 1

I've posted this many times.  It's my favorite ketchup, even among store-bought.  I leave out the cinnamon/cloves/allspice stuff and otherwise make it exactly as written.  I use medjool dates.  Mine keeps for 3 weeks in a fridge that never seems to help foods stay fresh at all!

https://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/06/wf2-recipe-kickass-ketchup/

I'd add some other spices (dried mustard, a dash of chili powder, maybe even a little ginger), maybe a little liquid smoke (is that sugar free?) and add 1-2 more dates, then simmer down to thicken it for a BBQ sauce.

For suger-free, does using things like dates count?

I have made my own sauces.  Tomatoes have enough natural sweetness to them that to me, you don't really need to add sugar/sweetener anyway.  The BBQ sauce that I made used Splenda, I think, or something like that.  It tasted really good, but now I've given up artificial sweeteners too, so I haven't made it recently.  The last time I made BBQ (ribs) I just used a rub, and that made them flavorful enough that they didn't really need sauce.

What was shocking to me was to learn that every single brand/type of ranch dressing at my regular supermarket had sugar.  I mean, why does ranch dressing need to be sweet?!?

I heard a radio programe a while ago about salt in products.  One of the things they said was that a lot of factory processed foods are either very bland, or have off-flavours.  They use things like salt and sugar too in part to cover up these deficiencies.

The guy who made the show was allowed to try a few things without the salt and see how they tasted.  Block cheese he said tasted like nothing and felt like putty in his mouth, and box ceral tasted like metal shavings!

• Like 1

I heard a radio programe a while ago about salt in products. One of the things they said was that a lot of factory processed foods are either very bland, or have off-flavours. They use things like salt and sugar too in part to cover up these deficiencies.

The guy who made the show was allowed to try a few things without the salt and see how they tasted. Block cheese he said tasted like nothing and felt like putty in his mouth, and box ceral tasted like metal shavings!

Was this Michael Moss, the author of Salt Sugar Fat? I read that book and it sounds just like what Moss said in it. It was a very interesting book!

Was this Michael Moss, the author of Salt Sugar Fat? I read that book and it sounds just like what Moss said in it. It was a very interesting book!

You know, I don't know who it was, because I missed the beginning.  But I will look it up now because it was really interesting!

• Like 1